• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News reporter: Hillary Clinton left 9/11 ceremony with 'medical episode'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeytj

Banned
This happened around 9:30 this morning. It was maybe 75 degrees at the time. Maybe. Not humid at all.

The idea that this episode was brought on by some extremes of temperature is nothing but odd damage control. She was propped against that concrete barrier for a while before they could bring her car. This was not a momentary or brief incident.

And her response (and/or that of handlers) was not to seek immediate medical treatment at a qualified facility but to go to her daughter's apartment. This is a woman who has an undisputed history of blood clots, which are extremely dangerous and can cause fainting or similar symptoms.

She knows her own medical history, and I doubt she has a death wish, so them deciding to simply go and rest a bit to Chelsea's appartment, and then coming out fine, shows that this isn't a big deal.

The freaking out is mostly because of how this "looks", not because there really is a medical problem.

Mega

Banned
Excuse? It's a fact. 80 degrees is nightmarish. Especially with the conditions she's in with lots of heavy clothing and already being outside for almost 2ish hours. I don't at all see why it can't possibly be heat exhaustion in this scenario.

I'm in NYC. It was very pleasant and cool/breezy this morning. She's incredibly frail if it's true she overheated.

Ekai

I'm in NYC. It was very pleasant and cool/breezy this morning. She's incredibly frail if it's true she overheated.

80 degrees is anything BUT pleasant or cool. Seriously. >_>
I don't get this belief at all that it's some really chill temp.
All I'm arguing is that I can see it very easily being heat exhaustion. That ridiculously high heat + the conditions she was in. It's easy to see.

What other records are going to be released? Routine, hum-drum reports that are going to say the same shit? I mean, sure, but that just seems redundant

The broader point though is the standard though.

Let us all marvel at Trump's medical letter.

mEgZB3h.png

Hillary has released her tax returns, Donald hasn't. Hillary released an actual letter, Donald hasn't.

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
So if it was a serious medical condition don't you think she would have went to a hospital and not her daughters apartment?

Wasn't there a tweet that claimed she was driven to the hospital? I remember finding the claim interesting after the official statement and other sources saying she went to her daughter's apartment, which there are actual videos of (her leaving Chelsea's place).

It's like you're talking about an entirely different subject. I'm not painting broad strokes. I'm stating a simple fact.

A "simple fact" painting with a broad stroke that ignores the context of the situation surrounding those candidates. We're talking about the same thing, you just seem unable to see past generalization to context

Again, I am simply saying that the public's perception of the state of a candidate's health matters greatly. Forget about whether or not she is actually sick. What happened today looks bad and can have real consequences.

How you can say that the comparison to Nixon's situation is worthless is beyond me. It is easily the clearest real example that we have of what can happen to a presidential candidate in this country when the public perceives them to be weak thanks to some poor optics.

The campaign and opponent are irrelevant. Whether or not Nixon or Hillary had/have serious health issues is irrelevant. Poor optics hurts in politics, always.

It's worthless because Trump, as a person and a candidate, is nothing like Kennedy or the perception he had. Television was a relatively new medium, and the first time a Presidential debate had been televised, so obviously there was going to be a huge bias to the visually more appealing candidate, and then you have Clinton who is nothing like Nixon as a person or candidate. Not to mention the time period in which these things happened are so paralyzingly different. Like I said, much like Brexit comparisons: works in a broad stroke, but overall worthless when you zoom in to the context.

Buzzati

Banned
Yeah. Even if she's ill, she should be president.

Wouldn't be the first president with health problems either.

Right. I'd take an ill Hillary over Trump. I don't necessarily think Hillary's health is as perfect as some are making it out to be, but that's acceptable because the alternative is unacceptable.

Blader

I don't really think finding 80 degrees in a wool suit and a huge crowd has overly hot makes someone "incredibly frail."

All I'm arguing is that I can see it very easily being heat exhaustion. That ridiculously high heat + the conditions she was in. It's easy to see.
Repeating this isn't going to change the fact that today is a cool day.

Gallbaro

Banned

?

Downtown morning 80 degrees and you usually have some nice harbor winds.

Joeytj

Banned

She was sitting there for about an hour and a half, and reporters confirm that it was pretty warm. Even if it wasn't that warm, just sitting thefe for an hour and a half in the sun would be enough to effect you.

ChrisD

It's still 90F here, and it's nice... And I seem to recall hearing NY stays in high temps as well. 80 is pretty cool. :x

Not trying to prove/disprove anyone here, but 80 is not hot enough to cause heat exhaustion, especially with a breeze. Unless you live somewhere waaaaay cooler and just aren't accustomed..

Edit: oh, she had loads of padding on? Yeaaahh, clothing can make a huge difference. I don't take back that 80 isn't hot enough to make someone pass out, but I definitely believe it is when in combination with thick clothing.

Blader

I am curious about his health. From what I understand, he doesn't really take care of himself at all.
He doesn't take care of himself at all. Only sleeps a couple hours a night, is overweight, doesn't exercise, and subsists entirely on red meat and junk. That doesn't mean he's going to drop dead tomorrow, but he is by conventional standards, a decently unhealthy guy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The summary letter from July of 2015? I'm not sure how comforting that is 14 months later, when Clinton is passing out on the street.

Just not to let this go-- her doctor released a reaffirmation in August.

“To reiterate what I said in my previous statement, Secretary Clinton is in excellent health and fit to serve as President of the United States."

So unless you want her to release her full medical records, which I would understand, you do not need to reference the 14 month old letter.

Drazgul

I guess she was wearing a bulletproof vest? Those things aren't exactly comfortable even in cooler weather, let alone when it's warm. An active cooling vest (that circulates cold water in embedded tubes) is a lifesaver in those situations.

Ridiculously high heat now? Geez

I don't understand why this is a huge deal. Welp, she coughs and faints sometimes, big deal. Unless she is having convulsions 24/7 she can do her job just fine.

If anything this should be good news for anyone sitting on the fence: She defeats Trump in the election, then steps down soon after because of health reasons. 2 birds one stone, win-win for everyone.

Well you kind of made the case of why this is bad. If she truly is unhealthy and a possibility exists that she would not complete her first term then her running for president would not be seen as being in the best interest of the country, instead it would be seen as her attempting to secure her own legacy. The presidency isn't suppose to be about you and this is where she would loose voters.

Ekai

Ridiculously high heat now? Geez

Not now. It's always been ridiculously high. This belief that 80 is nice and chilly is making me think I'm in some bizarre alternate reality. I mean, sure, you could be used to it where you are. But being used to something =/= it being cool. It just plain isn't. Sure, it's better than say 100 degrees but that doesn't mean it's not any less warm.

Not to mention you're not her nor are any of you in her situation atm. Just, seriously.

royalan

Wouldn't trump, all the police officers, and secret service all be wearing pants and a bullet proof vest too?

Yes. But the point is that 80 degrees being nice and brisk for you doesn't mean they aren't conditions under which someone could potentially have a dizzy spell.

I've fallen over from standing up too fast after not having eaten all day, and I'm a 30 year old male in perfect health.

People in this thread acting like fainting spells are suddenly a sure sign of a life threatening condition are being obtuse to the point that it's hard to take seriously.

ChrisD

Not now. It's always been ridiculously high. This belief that 80 is nice and chilly is making me think I'm in some bizarre alternate reality.

Or you've just never lived somewhere with high heat and they do, lol. Neither side is wrong when considering all that she was wearing. You're not wrong, it is hot when put together. They're not wrong, 80 and breezy feels great and is far from intense heat.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Is it really necessary to imply that people who are concerned about this are Trump supporters? It's entirely possible to be critical of Hillary and Trump at the same time.

The attacks on those concerned about Hillary as a candidate resemble Soviet tactics. It's really beneath what this board attempts to convey in terms of discussion.

anaron

Not now. It's always been ridiculously high. This belief that 80 is nice and chilly is making me think I'm in some bizarre alternate reality. I mean, sure, you could be used to it where you are. But being used to something =/= it being cool. It just plain isn't. Sure, it's better than say 100 degrees but that doesn't mean it's not any less warm.

jesus, same here.

It's still 90F here, and it's nice... And I seem to recall hearing NY stays in high temps as well. 80 is pretty cool. :x

Not trying to prove/disprove anyone here, but 80 is not hot enough to cause heat exhaustion, especially with a breeze. Unless you live somewhere waaaaay cooler and just aren't accustomed..

Edit: oh, she had loads of padding on? Yeaaahh, clothing can make a huge difference. I don't take back that 80 isn't hot enough to make someone pass out, but I definitely believe it is when in combination with thick clothing.

Do you have any actual data to back up that 80 degrees isn't hot enough to cause heat exhaustion? I'm not sure how you can make that claim when there are many contributing factors.

edit: I see you've edited but I'm still curious where you're pulling this from.

Mega

Banned
But 80 isn't a cool day.

Why do you think 80 is cool? Seriously >_> It's just flat out not.

Have you been in the business district by the water in NYC when it's upper 70s? It's cool and pleasant.

To answer the earlier question seriously, I wear formal business attire throughout the year, lighter than Hillary's suits but I'm not in shorts and tank top either. Today is a nice day weather-wise. I live here, I've been out at this weather at length, I go for long walks in hotter weather in my business clothes. Excuse me for finding it hard to believe it was heat related. I don't buy it.

Is it really necessary to imply that people who are concerned about this are Trump supporters? It's entirely possible to be critical of Hillary and Trump at the same time.

The attacks on those concerned about Hillary as a candidate resemble Soviet tactics. It's really beneath what this board attempts to convey in terms of discussion.

I remember you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom