• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News to Host Live Event With Bernie Sanders. Hillary Too

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know MSNBC isn't balanced with their programming. They make no bones about it. But calling the network with Hannity and O'Reilly on it "fair" and "nonpartisan" is realllly funny.

Tarkus

I know MSNBC isn't balanced with their programming. They make no bones about it. But calling the network with Hannity and O'Reilly on it "fair" and "nonpartisan" is realllly funny.
I mean, besides whom you've named and some of the pundits, you're fairly wrong.

Ailes telling a Fox News host, "we're done with Rubio" is all that really needs to be said. It's a network dedicated to a specific agenda, to their conservative propaganda the vast majority of the time. They've poisoned minds with that bullshit.

Tarkus

The network that just recently leaked a memo saying "We can't do the Rubio thing anymore?"
I didn't say the prime time people (which you named), aren't partisan. The opinion shows are ridiculous on this channel. The hard news though, is leagues above the others. Fox breaks news 5-10 minutes before ANYONE consistently. Shepard Smith is the best newscaster on television. He's fair, honest, and doesn't mind to give you an opinion. And he breaks the mold of what most people who don't really watch Fox news believe.

I didn't say the prime time people (which you named), aren't partisan. The opinion shows are ridiculous on this channel. The hard news though, is leagues above the others. Fox breaks news 5-10 minutes before ANYONE consistently. Shepard Smith is the best newscaster on television. He's fair, honest, and doesn't mind to give you an opinion. And he breaks the mold of what most people who don't really watch Fox news believe.

Smith is too good for that trash network.

Now that Bernie Sanders has officially destroyed the Democratic party with this town hall, what should the new centre-left party of America be called? I think New Democrats will do just fine even if it is a tad uninspired.

Tarkus

Smith is too good for that trash network.
Well, there's a reason why an openly(fairly) gay man works for this channel. He feels that as a reporter, there is no better place he could be in terms of resources. CNN and MSNBC would pay out the ass to sign him.

Oriel

Fox News is actually fairly moderate and at least tries to be fair and balanced (unlike MSNBC which doesn't even pretend to be bipartisan). This was one of the best Democratic town halls and I hope to see the candidates on Fox News more.

image.php

Tonight was a big improvement in Fox News' coverage but let's not get carried away here, they're still pretty awful and an insult to real journalism.

There's a big difference between a Greta, Wallace or Shepard Smith and Hannity or O'Reilly.

Shep is the only voice of sanity on the channel.

If "sanity" is anything anti-conservative or progressive I agree.

But those anchors, including Baier tend to be more balanced and reasonable.

Primetime is a different matter.

Not saying Fox News is a fantastic news source, because it's far from it, but they do have good reporters/anchors mixed in with the drivel of morning and primetime.

Tarkus

If "sanity" is anything anti-conservative or progressive I agree.

But those anchors, including Baier tend to be more balanced and reasonable.

Primetime is a different matter.

Not saying Fox News is a fantastic news source, because it's far from it, but they do have good reporters/anchors mixed in with the drivel of morning and primetime.
I'm glad to see that someone actually pays attention to FNC rather than deride it based on name only.

GorillaJu

Hilary really nailed why she's winning. She stated she's not going to promise you the moon, she's stating what she feels she can get done.

I'll vote for either Bernie or her.

My feelings echo this. I wouldn't mind either, both are suitable to me for different reasons.

It's really disheartening however to see people say things like "if Bernie doesn't get the nomination I'm voting Trump because fuck it all"

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well that came out pretty much the way I expected. Bernie and Hillary stood their ground, dealt with with a variety of questions and sold themselves. Hillary did better over all but the Doom and gloom and hyperbole earlier in this thread was embarrassing. These two are long time politicians and could easily handle this and worse. What surprised me more was how easy Fox went on them overall.

watershed

Banned
Fox is biased as hell. It's not just their prime time coverage. It's who they give air time to, what ideas they actively push, and how they legitimize people/ideas (like Trump, who they gave enormous air time to before he became a candidate). If you think it's just prime time then take a look at Fox and Friends. Their morning slot, for 3 hours, is pure propaganda. That's not even taking into account their active spreading of misinformation like their amazing charts or falsely identifying scandal ridden politicians as democrats. Not biased? C'mon. Roger Ailes has mastered his craft and it's an insult to his network to say that they even aim for fair and balanced.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Can I watch this somewhere??
http://www.foxnews.com/live-coverage/fox-news-democratic-presidential-town-hall

I really don't think this town hall is going to be as bad for them as some of you think it's gonna be.

Well, for what it's worth, I think he'll encounter a tough crowd and a skeptical audience, but they'll be able to create some kind of dialogue. It might not be the best or the fairest setting, but I don't think it'll be "rigged" or anything like that.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens next week.
Told ya.This was a fairly benign and informative town hall. If it wasn't the booby trap some were expecting, then so be it. Now is not the time to rationalize why the actual event did not match up to your preconceived notions of what you thought it was gonna be by making up conspiracy theories about FOX secretly wanting Hillary over Trump.

If the next one is a highly partisan clusterfuck of a trap, then FOX can be criticized then, at that time. For now, it's prudent to just give them the benefit of the doubt and move on to more constructive things.

Concept17

image.php

Tonight was a big improvement in Fox News' coverage but let's not get carried away here, they're still pretty awful and an insult to real journalism.

More of an insult to human intelligence imo.

ant1532

Banned
Have you even watched their coverage of Clinton?

There's no way you can say that with a straight face.

examples of these clinton lies?

My feelings echo this. I wouldn't mind either, both are suitable to me for different reasons.

It's really disheartening however to see people say things like "if Bernie doesn't get the nomination I'm voting Trump because fuck it all"

Yeah well Hilary doesn't promise much besides keeping what Obama's been doing consistent. Bernie is of course going to do the same except try for more.

The trump if bernie doesn't get the nomination thing isn't a real thing fyi.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Damn Bernie beasted the townhall compared to the debate.

Healthcare answer was amazing.
Prochoice answer was amazing.
Minimum wage answer was amazing.

All genuine, rallying, clap inducing, deliveries.

Good reframing on big government on pro choice.

Yet people will focus on finger wagging and outdated terms.
Have you even watched their coverage of Clinton?

There's no way you can say that with a straight face.

They are biased but transparent about their bias and ultimately honest.i dont agree with them all the time, but what have they said about Clinton that you think is inaccurate?

Cipherr

Finally someone who isn't Diablosing about Fox News.

Well that's because he is lying. Or intentionally exaggerating. They are nowhere NEAR even approaching the category of moderate. Their terrible reputation is exactly deserved. A single well ran town hall doesn't erase years of nonsense. That's not how it works.

Break a news story 5 minutes before someone else? Fine. Have a single great news caster? Sure. Fair and moderate? NO. Don't even try to make that leap. Its ridiculous.

sphagnum

Banned
Just watched this, pretty good all around. Really surprised that they didn't try to tar and feather either candidate, although Hillary's questions were definitely a bit more pointed.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Someone actually spouted Fox's slogan to defend them, "fair and balanced"....lol.

Kinda surprised as to why Hillary ceded. I mean I understand the optics if she were to have refrained. Bernie was a bit bold in this one. Not sure why...I mean I guess he wants #1: more exposure with white voters, #2: Have Fox grill Hillary over the e-mails and see if Hillary trips herself before a primary.....all good reasons. There are also the drawbacks, to fox he's a damn commie. They treated them "nice"...that's how you get back in the game if you're Fox - charm offensives. It even worked with Trump. Twist the knife when the pray is the most vulnerable.

NotBacon

Bernie came prepared and killed it. Great answers for almost everything. He was genuine and passionate.

Meanwhile Hilldawg managed to seem very disingenuous within several minutes.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Apparently this Town Hall originated as a debate between Sanders and Trump. That would have been something to see.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/03/09/us/politics/fox-news-democratic-candidates.html?_r=0

DETROIT — Rebuffed yet again in coaxing Hillary Clinton onto Fox News, executives at the network had an outside-the-box idea last month that would have made primary debate history: a face-off between Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont and the equally fiery candidate on the Republican side, Donald J. Trump.

The Trump campaign was initially very interested, according to Fox officials, and the Sanders campaign was on board. But before the debate could be announced, the Trump campaign pulled out, citing scheduling conflicts, so the network planned to welcome just Mr. Sanders in an hourlong town-hall-style event, hosted by Bret Baier as part of his “Special Report” program.

Before Monday’s event, committee officials were less than optimistic about the treatment the candidates would receive.

“We don’t expect fair and balanced, but we know our candidates can handle anything thrown at them, and as president either will be ready to represent every American,” said Luis Miranda, the committee’s communications director, before the event.

But afterward, Mr. Baier said, the candidates were happy.

“She said she was pleased, and she said she’ll come back,” he said. “And so did Sanders.”

While the network angles for another debate, Mr. Baier had a more simple wish.

“It was good,” he said after the event, slinking into a chair and exhaling for perhaps the first time in an hour. “But I wish it was two hours

Would have been nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom