• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox orders new 24 pilot (all new characters, titled "24: Legacy")

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

Idris Elba pls.

It’s official: Fox is making a new version of 24.

Also official: The reboot will have an all-new cast, with producers currently seeking an African-American actor to take over for longtime series star Kiefer Sutherland.

Fox has given an official pilot order to 24: Legacy, a new series starter that contains many of the hallmarks of the original action hit that launched in 2001 and ran for nine seasons on Fox: “The pilot will feature an all-new cast of characters and retain the real-time, pulse-pounding, fast-paced format with split screens and complex interweaving storylines, with each episode representing one hour of an eventful day.” Original producers Howard Gordon, Manny Coto and Evan Katz will return as executive producers.

But that means Jack Bauer (Sutherland) has firmly walked off into the sunset. Sutherland has recently been cast in a new ABC thriller called Designated Survivor, where he’ll play a man suddenly handed the presidency after a catastrophic attack during the State of the Union address.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/15/24-pilot-new

icespide

Banned
whoa, I'm huge 24 fan. hope this is good without Keifer

JackSeizure.gif

Interfectum

whoa, I'm huge 24 fan. hope this is good without Keifer

JackSeizure.gif

I'll miss Keifer but lets be honest, there is literally nothing else they can do to Jack Bauer besides what... make him fight aliens or shoot him into outer space. He's more than played out at this point.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm ok with this, though a Tony subplot would have been nice ;P

:lol at Kiefer's new show title. Wonder if that's what that role is actually called. The government official not allowed to be at SOTU's.

So how are they going to address
Jack being stuck in a Russian gulag and Tony getting busted out of prison by a black-ops group to go rescue him?
Is that just going to remain as an unresolved sequel hook?

icespide

Banned
I'll miss Keifer but lets be honest, there is literally nothing else they can do to Jack Bauer besides what... make him fight aliens or shoot him into outer space. He's more than played out at this point.

yeah I agree, it would be kind of ridiculous to continue on with Jack at this point, but I wonder if the show would work without him

jelly

Suppose they can recycle now but would prefer new stuff. 24 was awful with scenarios outside of a few seasons. Thinking about it now, I would be really disappointed if it was so similar with a new cast, series was tired but had cool moments.

Chopper

Jack being stuck in a Russian gulag and Tony getting busted out of prison by a black-ops group to go rescue him?
My thoughts exactly. I'm fine with this, assuming these matters get addressed somehow in the new show.

HardRojo

24 is my favorite series of all time. Probably it is only now that I say it won't be the same without Kiefer Sutherland, but I'm open to a reboot and to the possibility of falling in love with the series again. I remember the allnighters I pulled back when I first watched the series, thanks to a friend who recommended it and let me borrow his DVDs.

Zaph

Almost definitely while they wait for Kiefer's price to fall.

Then, if Legacy is successful we'll have a crossover 'event' where Blackjack rescues him. If Legacy fails, Jack will rescue himself and there'll be a passing mention of Blackjack being KiA.

rtcn63

Yeah, Jack is going to be in this. There can't be a 24 and he's captive the whole time.

They could do what they did in the second season of Strike Back and
have the main character killed in the first episode, his death livestreamed by his captors.

zma1013

I thought 24 could have lived on with that australian chick they had in the last season. She's basically the female Jack Bauer and that actress does that particular type of character well, which she always seems to play in any other show I've seen.

icespide

Banned

wait was the
tony stuff really supposed to happen?
first I'm hearing about it

wait was the
tony stuff really supposed to happen?
first I'm hearing about it

It's an extra on the Season 9 DVD set.
Tony is led to believe he's going for an interrogation by a government executive, until she gives him the means to escape and tells him he needs to help her with rescuing Jack.

Dabanton

Lets hope they follow the 12 episode formula from the season set in London instead of 24 actual episodes which led to some absolutely awful, side stories and padding.

icespide

Banned
It's an extra on the Season 9 DVD set.
Tony is led to believe he's going for an interrogation by a government executive, until she gives him the means to escape and tells him he needs to help her with rescuing Jack.

oh shit! can't believe I never saw this

SeanC

I'm sure there will be a little Jack here and there.

But the show is ready for someone new.

"...producers currently seeking an African-American actor to take over for longtime series star Kiefer Sutherland. "

I say a total unknown. Someone learning the ropes. Totally fresh across the board except for a cameo here and there, and some references, to the old cast.

Elba's profile is about 20 times too high for a project like this. But I think we'll get a recognizable face leading this. Maybe Denzel? Is he in the "easy TV money" phase of his career?

But that means Jack Bauer (Sutherland) has firmly walked off into the sunset. Sutherland has recently been cast in a new ABC thriller called Designated Survivor, where he’ll play a man suddenly handed the presidency after a catastrophic attack during the State of the Union address.

off topic, but I've always wanted a story about this happening cause I think it's such an amazing concept.

for those who don't know, during the State of the Union address basically everyone in the Federal Government is in a single room, the entire Presidential Cabinet are there all except a random cabinet member who is named "Designated Survivor" and is held in an unnamed location incase the entire line of succession is blown off the face of the world at once.

Szeth

Fuck me I really wanted a season of
Tony, Chloe, and Kate rescuing Jack
. I can't be anything but mad about a new "Jack" (ugh) with this being unresolved.

VAD

What's with this revival craze? Anyway, I thought Homeland was already nu24. I don't think I will watch this, not before I finish 24 (that is nowhere to be seen on my Netflix).

Sigh...can't you at least conclude Jack Bauer's arc first? I mean come on.

My guess is you'll get a quick five minute conclusion similar to Strike Back when Showtime took over

Spoilers

Main character of Strike Back S1 (or rather, the original Sky TV version) is captured at the end of the season, Showtime S2 starts with the main character getting executed on tape and new characters introduced

harSon

Banned
I guess if Idris doesn't get James Bond, then a Black Bauer will do.

rogercross2.jpg

My boy Curtis Manning going to be Tony Almada'd back into the show?

My guess is you'll get a quick five minute conclusion similar to Strike Back when Showtime took over

Spoilers

Main character of Strike Back S1 (or rather, the original Sky TV version) is captured at the end of the season, Showtime S2 starts with the main character getting executed on tape and new characters introduced

They're not going to do that. They've already set up a sequel hook from the original series, and there's no way they're going to randomly kill off the lead character off-screen.

Also, keep in mind that there was already was a character in the original series (Curtis Manning) who was referred to as "BlackJack". They gave him virtually nothing to do and
killed him off near the beginning of Season 6

Reboot? Without Jack?

Whelp, I'm out. My dad isn't going to like this. I don't have the heart to tell him Kiefer's Jack was probably not returning. Saving the day and leaving it on another damn potential sequel hook, just to set it up for another ride but don't follow thru.....dammit, even Rambo finally got to go home!

Listen. 24 is iconic. Jack Bauer is iconic.

'Eric Carter' is not an iconic name. I don't know if any name can possibly be as heroic/iconic as 'jack' but Eric Carter is not even close. "Carter you have to get out of there!" works, but just...is missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom