• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Castle is Marvel Comics next War Machine

I'm surprised Marvel hasn't done a story yet where Daredevil dies and makes the Punisher swear on his death bed that he's going to take over for him. Sort of like Black Panther did except Punisher would obviously have to struggle with the no killing people thing. It sounds exactly like a story that Marvel would attempt in 2017

Fury451

Banned
I'm surprised Marvel hasn't done a story yet where Daredevil dies and makes the Punisher swear on his death bed that he's going to take over for him. Sort of like Black Panther did except Punisher would obviously have to struggle with the no killing people thing. It sounds exactly like a story that Marvel would attempt in 2017

Daredevil is like one of the only characters that would never work as a true pass the torch legacy character. Punisher too, ironically.

kunonabi

Daredevil is like one of the only characters that would never work as a true pass the torch legacy character. Punisher too, ironically.

Eh, most of the legacy transitions dont make any damn sense. Daredevil or punisher wouldnt be any more ridiculous.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
WTF, Odinson joined Hydra too? WTFFFFFF??!!

Yup and the reasoning is comically flimsy. He gives 3 reasons as to why he joined with Steve.

1. Steve is his friend, a friend that he trusts
2. Steve (while in Hydra) picked up Mjolnir and used it to crush the resistance. Since Steve picked up the hammer while a Hydra guy, that means he's worthy and a good guy by Odinson's standards
3. He views all this as silly human politics, he's seen empires rise and fall and he really doesn't care

At least he's feeling remorse and coming around finally, but it's insanely stupid. All of Secret Empire has been insanely stupid.

MartyStu

Yup and the reasoning is comically flimsy. He gives 3 reasons as to why he joined with Steve.

2. Steve (while in Hydra) picked up Mjolnir and used it to crush the resistance. Since Steve picked up the hammer while a Hydra guy, that means he's worthy and a good guy by Odinson's standards
3. He views all this as silly human politics, he's seen empires rise and fall and he really doesn't care

At least he's feeling remorse and coming around finally, but it's insanely stupid. All of Secret Empire has been insanely stupid.

Jesus, what the hell is this garbage.

Marvel, please stop.

Number_6

So, why is he a hero then?

That's stupid as hell, holy shit. If he doesn't care or whatever then why would he pick a side at all?

Geist-

I think I'll stick to the MCU from now on...

Geeky

They have Rachel Cole-Alves up their sleeve if they ever want to replace Frank as Punisher. She had an okay set up. The accident cop kill should have put her at odds with Frank, but I guess they settled up.

As for this recent news, the only Marvel books I get now are Punisher, Deadpool, and Ms. Marvel (I was getting Nova, but they canceled it). One of the biggest reasons I love getting Punisher and Deadpool is because by and large they are doing their own thing within the Marvel Universe. Deadpool has he hand in a lot of stuff now and has a coupe of books going on (Deadpool, Spider-Man/Deadpool, Mercs for Money and usually some other side thing) but getting the mainline Deadpool comic by itself hasn't forced me to get other stuff except for that recent "divorce" arc.

Punisher's book has been pretty good too. The last issue was a fairly simple story about a robbery that took place after someone shut off a power grid and a book or two back was about Punisher having to track down some kids who broke into his armory with a nice little twist at the end.

Punisher is a lot like Mad Max. The character is straight forward, but is gets into interesting situations that make for engaging comics. He is a remnant of old B-Movies like "Death Wish" and the billion of clones like it, but due to the great cast of villains he encounters he has persevered. He has gotten caught up in cross over events in the past like Civil War, but the core character traits stayed on. Getting stuff like armor takes away from the simplicity of the character.

I know this is probably just a gimmick for a few months, but I know it will run over to my pull box and I don't look forward to it.

Sandfox

They're using Jane Foster to control him.

mreddie

HYDRAvengers

Deadpool and Odinson: Joined because they trust Cap, Odinson also wants him to free Jane from wherever she ended up.
Wanda: Possessed by a demon wanting to take over
Vision: Overridden with nanites and no control to himself, he's a puppet
Taskmaster and Black Ant: Paid goons but likely were brainwashed by Madame HYDRA
Doc Ock: Hates Spider Man and wants to ruin his rep as Parker
Punisher: Same boat as DP and Odinson

Masters of Evil: Ruling the Country after so many times getting the L but some are already trying to double cross like Viper and Zola.

jph139

Nah, Thor's been portrayed as sullen and conflicted about it from the beginning. He's not just coming around on it.

Odinson's been in a position where every single compass point in his universe has been ripped away - becoming unworthy of Mjolnir, his father being ousted in Asgard, the whole Gorr thing. Steve Rogers is the last rope he has to hang on to. If Steve is evil, and can wield Mjolnir, then is there any order or morality to the universe at all?

His head says its right but his heart knows it's wrong. Secret Empire has a billion issues but Odinson's not one of them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Black Panther is great, and Coates on Captain America will be awesome if it happens.

Well, the people who complain about "SJW Marvel" are bigots who are upset about a Korean Hulk and a female Thor, so that doesn't really argue against anything else.

The funniest part is when when people say "sjw marvel has been racist as hell from day 1!"

Yes, that is actually a thing someone said.

The funny thing is that Marvel has always been progressive for the time, especially compared to DC.

741614-randy_robertson1.jpg

Stan meant well but he was a tad heavy handed.

Fury451

Banned
Not any worse than Wolverine and they did that

To me at least, that one made sense. She's a literal legacy character in the sense that she's the only heir that would make sense. She grew as a character over a long period of time as well, to not only earn the title but in some ways become a better person than her father, something he was pushing for. She became Wolverine naturally I'm not in a hurry to see him back tbh.

She was also the only one who could do it because fuck Daken

Daredevil is so wrapped up in Murdock's personal ties to the pain and loss of Hell's Kitchen. Someone could wear the costume (and they have), but they wouldn't really be Daredevil as opposed to Captain America, who has had two in uniform successors that have taken up the mantle but been very different in their own way.

Eh, most of the legacy transitions dont make any damn sense. Daredevil or punisher wouldnt be any more ridiculous.

True, but some like Bucky were masterfully done ( though I think that's more of a popular opinion in hindsight than at the time), and I think it's an example of how certain characters lend themselves to it better than others.

But then again that's just my take on it.
They have Rachel Cole-Alves up their sleeve if they ever want to replace Frank as Punisher. She had an okay set up. The accident cop kill should have put her at odds with Frank, but I guess they settled up.

That's true, now that you mention it I guess anybody with a vigilante crusade could step into the shoes. He's not what I would call the deepest character, even if he's very iconic. But then again that's a good example of how fickle the writing for him convey. Depending on what day you catch him, he would've killed her for that. Other times he seems to let things slide. Writer is the kind of portray him as insane and hypocritical are the stories that I enjoy, even if that portray it was more of a undercurrent rather than anything obvious

IrishNinja

as a huge DD fan i gotta agree here, though Frank might be easier

No one is gonna clone Daredevil or Frank Castle. :p

exactly this

I think I'll stick to the MCU from now on...

you really shouldn't write off an entire label/medium for one event that's not far from tying off anyway

Deadpool and Odinson: Joined because they trust Cap, Odinson also wants him to free Jane from wherever she ended up.

shit, am i behind? what happened to Jane
also not sure taskmaster needs brainwashing if the money's right

She became Wolverine naturally I'm not in a hurry to see him back tbh.

She was also the only one who could do it because fuck Daken

agreed & agreed, also on DD's identity with the city & bru's great take on bucky-cap. after the dust settles here, i think spencer's impact might likewise be more known for his take on falcon-cap.

Geist-

you really shouldn't write off an entire label/medium for one event that's not far from tying off anyway
It's not just one event though is it? I admit I don't read Marvel or DC very often, but whenever I try to jump into a mainline Marvel comic there's another shitty crossover event very soon after that spoils it for me.

IrishNinja

It's not just one event though is it? I admit I don't read Marvel or DC very often, but whenever I try to jump into a mainline Marvel comic there's another shitty crossover event very soon after that spoils it for me.

that's fair, but for what it's worth, this should tie up company-wide events for like 18 months at least

HYDRAvengers

Wanda: Possessed by a demon wanting to take over
Vision: Overridden with nanites and no control to himself, he's a puppet
Taskmaster and Black Ant: Paid goons but likely were brainwashed by Madame HYDRA
Doc Ock: Hates Spider Man and wants to ruin his rep as Parker
Punisher: Same boat as DP and Odinson

Masters of Evil: Ruling the Country after so many times getting the L but some are already trying to double cross like Viper and Zola.

Task and Ant weren't brainwashed, they just realize they can't quit without being killed and are riding it out. It gets established pretty firmly why they're working for Hydra in Steve Rogers. Unlike Vision and Wanda, their personalities are intact.

They're being paid, but they initially came on because Taskmaster is the one to first discover Cap was Hydra, and he got intercepted by Madame Hydra before he could deliver the information to Maria Hill.

Top Bottom