• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Darabont writing and directing 'The Walking Dead' series for AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
andycapps said:
Oh, that part is ridiculous. I'm curious if they'll do that part in the movies and how detailed they'll go. Parts of that just made me cringe. I remember reading a lot of really upset letters to Kirkman because of the subject matter and how ridiculously violent it was.
Sorry for the late reply.

I'm into Book 5 now (not sure what issue that corresponds to), but to me
Michonne's torture of the Governor is fitting, and reflects her own disturbed personality as well. I wasn't prepared for the escape from the prison as well...
The fact that Kirkman was willing to kill off
Tyreese, Axel, Lori, and several others at once
was pretty shocking.

It's absolutely gruesome, but needlessly so? I don't think so. The comic doesn't seem to relish the violence, and the subject matter necessitates that kind of violence at times. It's a terrifying subject matter, and showing the violence in broad daylight is one way to achieve a sense of horror.

GhaleonEB

KingGondo said:
Sorry for the late reply.

I'm into Book 5 now (not sure what issue that corresponds to), but to me
Michonne's torture of the Governor is fitting, and reflects her own disturbed personality as well. I wasn't prepared for the escape from the prison as well...
The fact that Kirkman was willing to kill off
Tyreese, Axel, Lori, and several others at once
was pretty shocking.

It's absolutely gruesome, but needlessly so? I don't think so. The comic doesn't seem to relish the violence, and the subject matter necessitates that kind of violence at times. It's a terrifying subject matter, and showing the violence in broad daylight is one way to achieve a sense of horror.
I thought the
extended torture sequence
was Kirkman relishing the violence very much. I don't think that's the case generally, but still think it would have been better to handle
his torture the same way her rape was: initiation, implication, cut away and then return after. I get that we were supposed to be appalled and cheering uncomfortably at the same time, but I thought it went way too far.

It's one of the only parts of the series I really didn't like (actually, entire Governor story I didn't like).

gdt

At first, I thought the Governor was a bit too cartooney, especially when the book had never had a character like that.

But I just came to know the he was insane, and appreciated all of the absolute mayhem he created :D .

When he shows up in the show, it will be awesome. Can't wait to see who they get to play him.

Besides,
chopping off Rick's hand
was an incredible intro for his real side. Can't not love him after that :lol .

That took balls on Kirkman's part. Lead men
need both their hands
!

gdt

Absolutely. It's an incredible deal.

It collects the first 48 issues, so you won't have much to collect after that.

That's what I have, BTW. Well, and the trades that are after it.

BlueTsunami said:
For those who want it, I made some sparse wallpapers using the above poster (resized it with Genuine Fractals in Photoshop so the quality doesn't look mushy)...

Widescreen: http://imgur.com/bHQKj.jpg

4:3: http://imgur.com/LCPpC.jpg

The widescreen makes a nice theme on my Xbox dashboard. Thanks.

gdt5016 said:
At first, I thought the Governor was a bit too cartooney, especially when the book had never had a character like that.

But I just came to know the he was insane, and appreciated all of the absolute mayhem he created :D .

When he shows up in the show, it will be awesome. Can't wait to see who they get to play him.

Besides,
chopping off Rick's hand

need both their hands
!

Yeah, I knew the Guv was insane when
he went home and we met his chained up zombie daughter and he tries to kiss her.
Demented sonofabitch.

Before that, I thought he was just your typical asshole bad-guy, but that showed how far gone he was.

Benecio Del Toro would make a fuck awesome governor, but it will never happen.

vazel

Banned
gdt5016 said:

Besides,
chopping off Rick's hand

need both their hands
!
He is cartoony. That's a problem I've noticed with The Walking Dead. Kirkman's human villains are caricatures. Everything else is awesome.

gdt5016 said:
Absolutely. It's an incredible deal.

It collects the first 48 issues, so you won't have much to collect after that.

That's what I have, BTW. Well, and the trades that are after it.
Ordered, thanks. Not that I needed much more motivation.

vazel

Banned
Try not to squash any pets with that book. :p I have a couple of Marvel's Omnibus books and they're annoying for me to read because of how big they are. I stuck with The Walking Dead's normal hardcover editions.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
NEW SIZZLE REEL

The scale looks fantastic, the gore seems plentiful and DeMunn nails it as Dale.

Warning: It contains a significant spoiler from the first books
Lori cheating on Grimes

Edit: Mother of all fuck, they are pulling no punches with the brutality 0_ô

walkingdeadcapture.jpg

'nother edit: Glenn with the baseball cap, fuck yeah.

Salazar

:lol at Kirkman.

Looks amazing - especially Glenn climbing up the ladder.

The guy cast as Dale looks fucking perfect. Andrew Lincoln will be superb, too.

Decado

I still get the imrpession that they are holding back in terms of showing impact blood/gore. Seems like every time it's going to happen the camera angle keeps it off screen. :/

Otherwise, it looks awesome.

Salazar

Decado said:
I still get the imrpession that they are holding back in terms of showing impact blood/gore.

Rick breaking his hand apart punching that guy's face to pieces in the prison is going to be a moment. So gnarly in the book, where he holds it up and it is just a mess.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Decado said:
I still get the imrpession that they are holding back in terms of showing impact blood/gore. Seems like every time it's going to happen the camera angle keeps it off screen. :/

Otherwise, it looks awesome.
They are recycling a lof of footage from the comic-con, which was censored since it's a "familiy friendly event". The level of gore is fairly really high in some sections of that reel, including what it seems like a horsey tartare :(

gdt

That was an awesome video. We got to see alot of stuff there!

God, I can't fucking wait for this show. I'm gonna reread the whole thing, starting sometime this week.

Daigoro

oh nice. i think i need to grab on the Compendium at that price for sure.

im very excited about the AMC series. cant wait for Halloween. really looking forward to it.

love that poster!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
gdt5016 said:
That is great, but I'm not sure if it fits AMC DRAMA. Still very cool, and intricate.
Yeah, it's cool, but I don't think it would be at all appropriate for the series.

I also think the "fan-made" label is misleading since it's typically associated more with average joes. Yes, he's a fan, but he's also a professional.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I actually hope there isn't an "title sequence". Just "The Walking Dead" over the opening shot and that's all.

Salazar

wenis said:
I actually hope there isn't an "title sequence". Just "The Walking Dead" over the opening shot and that's all.

I'd like a reference to the series' comic origins - a desire which that dude's mock-up would really, really satisfy. It would be badass, and gracious besides, to start the show with an evocation of comic books.

I recognise the market and critic-unfriendly idealism of evoking comic books.

Dan

Salazar said:
I'd like a reference to the series' comic origins - a desire which that dude's mock-up would really, really satisfy. It would be badass, and gracious besides, to start the show with an evocation of comic books.
But what would that contribute to the show?

They'll have the "based on the comic book by Robert Kirkman" credit anyhow.

anaron

icarus-daedelus said:
Nothing, but it's just a credits sequence - a useless overblown triviality at this point, if you ask me. Might as well make it cool and evocative of its source material.
Seriously? If the credits and theme are well-done, it can totally enhance a show for me. Makes it a little more memorable.

gdt

Yeah, I'm seeing the show with a LOST like minimalist opening. Just the title, some incidental music, and that's it. No credits sequence.

Dan

icarus-daedelus said:
Nothing, but it's just a credits sequence - a useless overblown triviality at this point, if you ask me. Might as well make it cool and evocative of its source material.
A lot of credits sequences are pointless, but that doesn't mean they all are or have to be. A good one informs the audience about the tone and content of a show. That's what they should do, though many settle just for being cool. I'd point to Carnivàle as being a great example of one that provides a good look at what the show involves.

gdt

When I'm watching a show on DVD, I watch the credits sequence once, just to see it, then I probably never see it again. LOST's is 17 seconds long, and I skip over it every time!

A short, grim, and minimalist credit sequence will set the tone for The Walking Dead just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom