• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank O'Connor doesn't recall the exact scorpio specs but was vaguely impressed

Nice to know it didn't disappoint him. Bout all we can take from this, but I'm sure it will be translated into specific CPU/GPU numbers before the end of the second page.

Edit: Nevermind. Specs were posted on page 1. Lol.

I always 100% expected MS announcing it was going to be 6 tflops so early was just a set up for the eventual "its actually 7.5" when the real reveal happened closer to release.

SOR5

Assuming beefier than he expected means potentially better than the publicly available scorpio specs? Don't know. Either way, the speculation will be fun.

That was really my point of view, I mean wasn't 6TF the sort of baseline minimum known and expected by everyone?

Very happy to be corrected here, this is why I made this thread, if an MS employee says it's even more powerful than they expected then that's kind of significant

Stinkles is really going out on a limb with this, I sure he doesn't get in trouble for saying too much. Be safe brother, remember GAF cred isn't worth losing a job over.

JlNX

I always 100% expected MS announcing it was going to be 6 tflops so early was just a set up for the eventual "its actually 7.5" when the real reveal happened closer to release.

Well I assumed that when they said Over six teraflops of power. It's a smart way to ensure hype, they will probably leak that information before e3 to help.

stinkles pls stop

14-Step-Brothers-quotes.gif

You guys forget this is the year of scorpio.* Anyway to keep scorpio in our mouths and minds is a pillar for success for xbox.

According to xbox employee tweets.

JlNX

Made me laugh.

But it's a silly post and a silly thing to make a thread over.

From my colleagues at publishers who got Scorpio target specs, the only thing that stood out was it had more RAM than they expected, that's it.

To assume specs this far out from release are set in stone would be stupid. Especially when dev kits aren't out yet and probably won't till end of Q1. It's more than likely thats just a pc target spec so they have a rough idea. Like they won't even know the GPU feature set let alone the new UWP development platform their making to show at build or GDC.

Edit: Also AMD's R&D pipeline if scorpio is using any new architecture would be in constant flow right now.

Being realistic here if the GPU is over 6.0 TF then I would expect a miniscule increase of 0.2-0.5 more at maximum.
Speaking of which nobody knows what Frank was expecting at all, so we can't make anything out of this.

Made me laugh.

But it's a silly post and a silly thing to make a thread over.

From my colleagues at publishers who got Scorpio target specs, the only thing that stood out was it had more RAM than they expected, that's it. Makes sense though, if you're targeting a native 4K framebuffer for X1 titles, ur going to want more RAM.

And that may be what he meant. I don't see the harm in it. If those other people from those publishers want to state some stuff then threads could be made from them as well. See, thing is that not everyone has access to inside info like you seem to so it's news to us. Plus, Switch threads get created for far less all the time. I seem to remember the same thing for PS4K as well.

Also, the Stinkmeister is pretty much on the ground floor at MS since he works for 343 and I would assume that the stuff they see would be more up to date than just target specs that other publishers might have.

Cartho

They're gonna skip 4K. 8k60 is the target.

-They're using a special CPU that hasn't been invented yet clocked at 25Ghz.
-64GB HBM2
-Blast processing
-Built in support for a cloud of super computers which will render everything at 16k then downsample to 8k.

/misterx

Leb

To put this into perspective, John the Baptist was only vaguely impressed when he first met Jesus, and Jesus went on to become the Son of God and the Messiah whose coming was promised in the Old Testament.

Teraflops don't even matter. 6 vs 8 who cares show me some games

Flops do matter if you want native 4k which 8TF will do on most games. The games will be the same 3rd party stuff everyone gets, plus Halo and Gears. No one is showing anything right now besides. All we have is endless speculation.

So is Scorpio even going to be current gen? This thing seems so powerful MS should just consider it next gen.

No Gens. Only interations.

robotrock

Banned
Flops do matter if you want native 4k which 8TF will do on most games. The games will be the same 3rd party stuff everyone gets, plus Halo and Gears. No one is showing anything right now besides. All we have is endless speculation.

Nope, I definitely don't think 8tf will mean every developer is gonna use that to get their game to native 4k. Show me the games

Pisces

Maybe he means it's capable of more than he thought a 6TF console could do? Anyway, I do think it'll be a little higher than 6TF, but not by too much.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Stinkles has added some of that dark matter to the Scorpio hype train.

I can't wait I hope I'm still alive for Scorpio
image.png

Montresor

Surely Stinkles would have expected minimum 6TF.

Therefore, we have official confirmation that Scorpio will have more than 6TF (since whatever the current power level is, it's beefier than he expected).

So it was written. So it shall be.

:lol

Top Bottom