• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank O'Connor doesn't recall the exact scorpio specs but was vaguely impressed

etta

my hard graphic balls
LOL lets just wait guys. I am sure it will be good. Can't wait to play RDR this holiday on it
Fuck yea, can't wait to walk into a Best Buy on November the 15th or 22nd and come out with a new Xbox, Red Dead Redemption 2, Halo 3 Anniversary, and whatever the next shitty Call of Duty is that comes free with Modern Warfare 2 Remastered.

spannicus

Fuck yea, can't wait to walk into a Best Buy on November the 15th or 22nd and come out with a new Xbox, Red Dead Redemption 2, Halo 3 Anniversary, and whatever the next shitty Call of Duty is that comes free with Modern Warfare 2 Remastered.
Lol hyped

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Nah, I don't think I can wait that long. I will probably buy the RDR2 on day 1. Play it in Xbox One and continue on Scorpio when I get it. Because RDR is coming in early fall I believe.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Nah, I don't think I can wait that long. I will probably buy the RDR2 on day 1. Play it in Xbox One and continue on Scorpio when I get it. Because RDR is coming in early fall I believe.
No fucking way it is not a November release. Same for Scorpio.

Jumeira

Banned
Awwww yeaaaah Scorpio!!! Shiny new tech, Red Dead looking unbelievable, why u hype me in Jan bro.

statham

Cod: IW single player is REALLY good.

Outrun

Amen.

I just need a 2017 spec OLED TV.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Cod: IW single player is REALLY good.
Yea parts of it were really nice.
Amen.

I just need a 2017 spec OLED TV.
Yea I need a new TV too, I have to see what my budget is, if I can get an OLED. If not I'll get that new Samsung Q7 or see how the Sony X930E ends up. Going to be glorious either way, Red Dead Redemption, Spider-man, God of War, Forza Motorsport, shit's gonna look so fucking nice and crisp and that HDR hnnnggggg...

About to hit the snooze button until E3. This is killing me.

Hawk269

This is a nothing post. Why is this a thread?

I know you are not new here, but this should not surprise you. There are a bit more odd ball threads that I would question more. What makes this potential thread worthy is that we know Frankie is a dev and dev saying it is better than what he expected or "beefier" is the reason. Yet, we don't know where the baseline was for him, it is an interesting thing to hear from a dev regardless.

Let's have fun with it! :)

Hawk269

Made me laugh.

But it's a silly post and a silly thing to make a thread over.

From my colleagues at publishers who got Scorpio target specs, the only thing that stood out was it had more RAM than they expected, that's it. Makes sense though, if you're targeting a native 4K framebuffer for X1 titles, ur going to want more RAM.

Wait...Where is this coming from? I have not heard or people receiving target specs and the rumors of more RAM have been from the target render of the motherboard and people counting the chips and assuming 12gb of RAM. This is the first I have read of someone confirming it actually does have more than 8gb of RAM. Source?

KaoticBlaze

Seriously? Another one of these threads?

Can Stinkles not take a piss without someone making a new thread every single time?

"OMG Frank O'Connor just took a piss, I think this means he's fed up with Microsoft and in a way he's pissing ON THEM!!!"

gaming_noob

Made me laugh.

But it's a silly post and a silly thing to make a thread over.

From my colleagues at publishers who got Scorpio target specs, the only thing that stood out was it had more RAM than they expected, that's it. Makes sense though, if you're targeting a native 4K framebuffer for X1 titles, ur going to want more RAM.

Can this be verified by Stinkles?

Proelite

I am pretty sure that the following will be the final specs. It would jell with SneakOS and Stinkle's post and what they already divulged at last year's E3.

8 core Jaguar uplocked 2.1 - 2.5 ghz.

16GB of GDDR5x on 256bit bus, 320 gb/s bandwidth. They didn't give out the ram info last year because they were waiting to see if GDDR5x density will double by 2017. If not they would have to go with 12GB on a 384-bit bus. A pricier solution in the long run. I think SneakerOS's colleague and Stinkles were expecting 12GB of ram per the mobo render, hence their reactions.

6 - 6.5 teraflop Vega derivative card.

Unknown is whether or not the SOC has 32 esram for enabling BC. If they have the esram pool and can open it up for the CPU to use, it'll be a quite the perf multiplier.

DeeBatch

I am pretty sure that the following will be the final specs. It would jell with SneakOS and Stinkle's post and what they already divulged at last year's E3.

16GB of GDDR5x on 256bit bus, 320 gb/s bandwidth. They didn't give out the ram info last year because they were waiting to see if GDDR5x density will double by 2017. If not they would have to go with 12GB on a 384-bit bus. A pricier solution in the long run. I think SneakerOS's colleague and Stinkles were expecting 12GB of ram per the mobo render, hence their reactions.

Unknown is whether or not the SOC has 32 esram for enabling BC. If they have the esram pool and can open it up for the CPU to use, it'll be a quite the perf multiplier.

Will be vega CPU kinda obvious @ this point...

Hawk269

The higher the TF, the higher the $. Careful what you wish for.

Phil has been saying it is going to be a premium console. If it has 6tf that is great, if it has more and makes it cost more that is fine too. I would rather they go all out and truly deliver a cutting edge console. Yeah, it would cost more, but when you want something cutting edge, it ain't going to come cheap.

Proelite

The higher the TF, the higher the $. Careful what you wish for.

Not necessarily. What if they were being conservative with the TF because the perf / watt range for Vega was very wide as of June 2016 due to it being a work in progress. 6 TF probably lies on the minimum range of their expected perf envelope.

When Durango specs first leaked in Winter of 2012, the entire system was expected to be 1.2 teraflops. The GPU on the final unit ended being 1.31 teraflops by itself.

EmiPrime

Phil has been saying it is going to be a premium console. If it has 6tf that is great, if it has more and makes it cost more that is fine too. I would rather they go all out and truly deliver a cutting edge console. Yeah, it would cost more, but when you want something cutting edge, it ain't going to come cheap.

It's not going to be more than $400. It's DOA if it creeps into the $500-600 price range, they have more sense than that.

you know that's the specs of the ps4 pro and would be only a 20% increase over the original xbox one!?

does not look balanced at all like spencer said
increase the gpu power by at least 460% and the cpu by 20% :D

Hawk269

It's not going to be more than $400. It's DOA if it creeps into the $500-600 price range, they have more sense than that.

It depends on what they are targeting for sales goals. If they are creating a premium console and having a premium price for I am sure they are well aware it is not going to sell like a mainstream priced console will. I really don't know what they are targeting, but I think they are going to push the hardware to a level that will put it at a price that is a bit high. My expectation is $499+. Really comes down to what they have in the box. If it is a 6tf, 8 core Jaguar, 12gb GDDR5 ram, then they might pull off $399.99, but to me that does not scream cutting edge mainly due to the Jaguar CPU.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So many Scorpio threads. Just because we went from 2016 to 2017 in a second doesn't mean that we know more about the Scorpio.

EmiPrime

It depends on what they are targeting for sales goals. If they are creating a premium console and having a premium price for I am sure they are well aware it is not going to sell like a mainstream priced console will. I really don't know what they are targeting, but I think they are going to push the hardware to a level that will put it at a price that is a bit high. My expectation is $499+. Really comes down to what they have in the box. If it is a 6tf, 8 core Jaguar, 12gb GDDR5 ram, then they might pull off $399.99, but to me that does not scream cutting edge mainly due to the Jaguar CPU.

Only a small number of Xbox die hards will buy it if it's $500+ so why would any developer spend the resources to get the most out of the hardware? If a super high end Xbox is Microsoft's answer to the PS4's current dominance they will become increasingly irrelevant. The sales gap will get dangerously close to 3:1.

But that won't happen.

It's going to be $400 and its launch is going to be a big event with major games launching alongside it. It's going to be a re-launch of the Xbox One brand not a niche product for enthusiasts.

It would be cool if they posted something on news.xbox.com this week about the "coming months" and when we can expect to hear more about scorpio.

E3 is about 5 months away, thats a long time.
(And my bday too)

pixelation

[Moderator]

Please do not read too much into the statement. We certainly can't take this to mean that anything was improved or bumped compared to what the current consensus speculation is. Stinkles does not live on the forums in Scorpio speculation threads and thus his statements should not be taken to mean that his personal expectations being exceeded means that our own technical expectations have also been exceeded.

[/Moderator]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From this thread: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=227886971

The de-facto spec going around has been 6TF since E3 2016, has it been bumped up even higher?

Commence speculation and restrained sensible pissing contests in 3, 2...

If true the machine will be: a) More expensive than the PRO and b) The specs will largely go unused to their full potential so... what's the point?, basically just a peeing contest that will not change anything for MS this gen. I don't see the point and no, much as some guys try and spin it as such, it's not the start of a new gen. The new gen starts when the PS5 arrives... unless MS decides to label it XB4 or something and dump current XBO owners.

Delayed to 2018, new console gen not held back by Xbox One. The only way to do it in my opinion.

My gut is that you're right, except that Xbox zone games will run in emulation on Scorpio.

Games written from the ground up for Scorpio will be modified PC versions.

I think that's why we've been seeing all this work of MS porting their major game engines to PC. It's leading to MS transitioning to PC-as-an-Xbox future.

Scorpio will serve as the minimum specs for this platform going forward.

The answer to "why would anyone use this instead of Steam" is that this new platform will be like what Steam Machines wanted to be. There will be sleep/instant-on capability and will boot immediately into a controller environment. Aside from potential upgrade ability, the end user experience will be identical to console. It's not for hyper enthusiasts and those who want to fiddle.

Hawk269

Only a small number of Xbox die hards will buy it if it's $500+ so why would any developer spend the resources to get the most out of the hardware? If a super high end Xbox is Microsoft's answer to the PS4's current dominance they will become increasingly irrelevant. The sales gap will get dangerously close to 3:1.

But that won't happen.

It's going to be $400 and its launch is going to be a big event with major games launching alongside it. It's going to be a re-launch of the Xbox One brand not a niche product for enthusiasts.

A bit of a fanboyish kind of comment. So if it is a high end/expensive console, only Xbox Die Hards will buy it, but if it is not as high end and at $400.00 then non-Xbox die hards will also buy it? Just WOW man. I know a lot of PS4 only members that skipped the PRO because of Scorpio, but I guess they are Xbox die hards as well even though some of them never owned a Xbox console ever.

But that won't happen.

The Xbox One was $499.99 at launch and I and millions of other people bought it happily. I know they dropped the Kinect as well as the price pretty quick, but that shows me that they're not afraid of that $499 price. If there's a flagship game to show it off, you bet your ass a lot of people will buy it. It won't break records, but I think it'll do better than ok.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I made I to this thread from my Reddit newsfeed. Really guys, you should stop with the Scorpio non-news. It devalues the impact of real news.

Chris1

The Xbox One was $499.99 at launch and I and millions of other people bought it happily. I know they dropped the Kinect as well as the price pretty quick, but that shows me that they're not afraid of that $499 price. If there's a flagship game to show it off, you bet your ass a lot of people will buy it. It won't break records, but I think it'll do better than ok.
I think there's a bit of a difference between spending 500 on a next gen console and spending 500 on this.

Scorpio isn't gonna have exclusive games... comparing it to the xbox one launch is silly. I'd be surprised if it does 500k in its first month npd even at 399 let alone 499.

Saying that, I think it's gonna be 399 anyway.

EmiPrime

A bit of a fanboyish kind of comment. So if it is a high end/expensive console, only Xbox Die Hards will buy it, but if it is not as high end and at $400.00 then non-Xbox die hards will also buy it? Just WOW man. I know a lot of PS4 only members that skipped the PRO because of Scorpio, but I guess they are Xbox die hards as well even though some of them never owned a Xbox console ever.

Did you really just use the f word? Looks like you're not interested in a civil discussion so I will end with this:

Scorpio has a significantly wider potential audience at $400 than it does at $500 or $600. Any arguments to the contrary are really misinformed.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

No way it's a Jaguar. Almost zero chance of that happening.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I expect to be really a monster and the price of 499$ or 550$.And i'm ready to pay that price if the console is a monster.I did it with the ps3(599€) in the launch why not to repeat if the hardware is really a monster?

I don't want to pay for a weak hardware like the xbox one.I want a monster.

wapplew

I expect to be really a monster and the price of 499$ or 550$.And i'm ready to pay that price if the console is a monster.I did it with the ps3(599€) in the launch why not to repeat if the hardware is really a monster?

Run.

image.php

Top Bottom