• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free! Swimming Anime |OT| Where Wet Dreams Come True

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think of this as having a similar type of caricature as the witch in Dragon's Crown.

<looks up> .____. What is this, I don't even...

Watched the first episode, grilled fish and bread? Blasphemous MC. Animation's pretty fluid, it has a nice palette, pacing and set-up so far isn't too bad so I'll keep watching.

Chuck

Still without luck
First episode was awesome. Can't wait for next week!

also, penguins.

iwUUTi2UV1PBI.png

Free! 1

Hype delivered! Praise be to Based-KyoAni! Let's break it down.

I liked the OP. It's got swimming, it's got style, and it pumps you up. The childhood swim club makes for a great setup with the friendship dynamic, with Haruka being the leader. But it's also interesting that, despite what his aloofness may tell you, even he really admired Rin. That line his grandmother told him really stood out to me, what with this generation being brought up on positive reinforcement and being told anything is achievable. Haruka is trying to grow up, but I think he's trying to live by an adult mentality without really understanding what it means to be mature. You can definitely see his old self coming showing through the cracks, like when he says he isn't interested in competitive swimming, yet he accepts Rin's challenge without hesitation. Or when his eyes light up with enthusiasm when he learns that Rin's school has a pool. These things are what make him charming. But I feel like I'm talking too much about him when he's not even the best bro. Nagisa pulling Makoto into the water was great, and Makoto makes it obvious that he is the best bro, what with his good-guy attitude and his weakness for spooky things. He's just got this charisma made all the more real when he matches Haruka's wavelength and knows what he's thinking. That image of when he stood up after falling in the pool? Oh. My. Stars. And Rin's appearance was really awesome. Him emerging from the shadows with that music playing gave him this presence and I got chills. I loved it when he and Haruka were spittin' hot fire. I can't wait for them to go toe-to-toe! And dat ED. Dat ED! Can it be next week yet?

Hellraider

Excellent first episode.Great character introduction and everyone was likeable (Makoto was best bro, though).Eveything was beautiful (as expected).Direction was also great and would easily watch another 20minutes.Some really memorable scenes as well (Makoto pulling Nagisa in the water,Rin and Haruka getting fired up).

Loved it, nothing to complain, kyoani at its finest.It saddens me how everyone is so afraid to watch moe boys instead of moe girls but it's their loss.

jgminto

Yeah that was actually pretty good. I was expecting to just watch for the upper body but I was genuinely entertained.

Episode 1
tumblr_mpdw4e1FUe1qmpec7o1_500.gif

Easily has one of the best Ending Themes of the year and as a whole was the best first episode of any anime this year, Ill put it on my best anime of the year list for sure. And the OP also has some great Rin Haru moments for me.

We need more time with them in the flashback as they were so charming and earnest in their love the water, and such good friendship and bonds. I think Rin is definitely still embodying this, though even if its just focused directly on Haruka. Actually its pretty well done and definitely feels like the anime already put them together and then Makoto and Nagisa there too (though they made Nagisa constantly be on/touching Haru). Where will Rei fit in, ot3 with Rin, Haru, Rei?

I want the ost, so many varied songs and nearly all the upbeat ones got me moving and wanting to dance. Rin's intro song was memorable and then the one
when they dive in and reveal upper body to each other and nearly dive into the empty pool
was potentially the best song so far.

I think its easily met and exceeded my expectations and is just so enjoyable, entertaining, refreshing in the context of anime, and visually appealing.

Taruranto

Episode 1
tumblr_mpdw4e1FUe1qmpec7o1_500.gif

Easily has one of the best Ending Themes of the year and as a whole was the best first episode of any anime this year, Ill put it on my best anime of the year list for sure. And the OP also has some great Rin Haru moments for me.

We need more time with them in the flashback as they were so charming and earnest in their love the water, and such good friendship and bonds. I think Rin is definitely still embodying this, though even if its just focused directly on Haruka. Actually its pretty well done and definitely feels like the anime already put them together and then Makoto and Nagisa there too (though they made Nagisa constantly be on/touching Haru). Where will Rei fit in, ot3 with Rin, Haru, Rei?

I want the ost, so many varied songs and nearly all the upbeat ones got me moving and wanting to dance. Rin's intro song was memorable and then the one
when they dive in and reveal upper body to each other and nearly dive into the empty pool
was potentially the best song so far.

I think its easily met and exceeded my expectations and is just so enjoyable, entertaining, refreshing in the context of anime, and visually appealing.

Is this already your favorite anime already, DTL? Could it be better than Guilty Crow!?

bigkrev

Free 1

As one of likely thousands of people who lived through something similar to the beginning here (was on a swim team and had someone move away), I really loved this. The characters are all great- the boisterous dick is a total dick, the Tsun is a total Tsun, and Shota is a total Shota personality-wise. Kinda sad we didn't have Glasses show up, but I can wait.

This also features the best ED of all time. Great visuals and a great song!

Droplet

Amazing OT. The show was a bit slow to pick up (was any more exposition needed between when they were about to race and when they actually started to) and I didn't really like any of the characters, but as a former high school swimmer I'll stick it to the end. Although some of the inconsistencies between reality and the show, like the fact that they all wear jammers over speedos despite being in high school or there being a school for swimming (what?), will probably annoy me the whole way. I find it ironic that the main character says that he'll only swim freestyle when by the very definition of freestyle that means he can also swim any other stroke.

The show did deliver on dat upper body, of course. Since none of the characters introduced are doing it for me, I'll tentatively put myself on team glasses.

Rayis

I watched the first episode and I didn't know what to expect, my body was not ready, also, Makoto-kun is my favorite~

Cheska

Came for the gifs, leaving a happy woman :D

Pleased with the first episode, certainly can't wait for more!

wonzo

Banned
My only complaints with the first ep were how gross the muscles looked compared to the CM, the really kinda obnoxious bloom & blur filter added to everything, shit OP, and the fairly lackluster use of music outside of the WUBWUBWUB. Everything else was p. tight (esp. that water sakuga goddamn).

brown > red > blue > black > yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom