• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free! Swimming Anime |OT| Where Wet Dreams Come True

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this fan art (NSFW) a few days ago on facebook and got an instant nosebleed, hehe. Does anybody know who drew this or the original source where it comes from? The person who posted this didn't mention it.
Sweet lord....

This is yaoi-gaf's version of the infamous search for "jenga girl"

Time to hire a tumblr private eye, asap.

Chuck

Still without luck
I saw this fan art (NSFW) a few days ago on facebook and got an instant nosebleed, hehe. Does anybody know who drew this or the original source where it comes from? The person who posted this didn't mention it.

unf That is some hotness and with best boy too. Can't track it down though :/

Also if you don't use tumblr, you should. Just sayin' >.>

Misuta

I've noticed a disturbing trend in some of the newer Free! merch that shows Rei in the long swimming trunks.

He's supposed to be in speedos, dammit!

I've got a tumblr account and the stuff I always see there is amazing/hillarious. It's literally a gold mine.

My recent favorites are:
Haru used Splash!
Not this shit again

Rei-chan is in danger, somebody help him
SnK/Kirby crossover (I know it's not Free!-related, but i wanted to show it anyway because it's really cute)

I like the translated comics people put up, would be more in the tag more but people seem in love with Gou x Makoto/Gou x Rin and thats well not what I signed up for. Recent fav translated comic and as a Rin fan.
tumblr_mr7401BERp1r1nr15o2_500.jpg
tumblr_mr7401BERp1r1nr15o3_500.jpg

Episode 6
tumblr_mrjjlzvQHZ1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mrjjlzvQHZ1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Hopefully everyone learned their lesson as the whole thing could have been avoided, then again without it we wouldnt have got one of the best moments in the season, if only the scene could have even been. The Makoto confessional scene was really the best
even if one sided, thankfully, since Haru is only for water, I mean Rin (that preview discussion)
. And lastly, Nagisa and Haru really bring the best comedy moments, really well done whoever is handling the script and etc. Never can not feel good when Nagisa is speaking and all excited like.
So considerate even getting Makoto to smile
. Good episode.

Misuta

EP6

The almost-cpr-scene, damn it KyoAni. You sure know how to tease. If Haru had been a bit faster he would have pleased millions of fangirls
and fanboys
. lol

I have to admit that Makoto's ocean phobia story was a bit weak in the anime and I think the version of the light novel is much better than the other one.

The scene where the boys were outside and the starry sky appeared below their feet. That looked like as if it would come from a J-RPG. So beautiful~.

t09bIj6l.jpg

wonzo

Banned
Episode 6

free6.jpg

lewd

The writing and pacing of this episode reached Chuu2 levels of bad. Hopefully that's as low as it goes until it focuses on Rin again.

The Free! Drama CD 1 is pretty amazing, the shaving skit with Rei and Nagisa doing it in the room, and then the slime with Nagisa putting it on everyone was hilarious, and then the dating one

NAGISA: Then, Rei-chan, who would you want to go out with among the guys here?
HARUKA: …Makoto.
MAKOTO: Me?!
NAGISA: Hey, Haru-chan! If I was your boyfriend, I’ll cook mackerel for you for breakfast every morning!

So good.

The Free! Drama CD 1 is pretty amazing, the shaving skit with Rei and Nagisa doing it in the room, and then the slime with Nagisa putting it on everyone was hilarious, and then the dating one

NAGISA: Hey, Haru-chan! If I was your boyfriend, I’ll cook mackerel for you for breakfast every morning!

So good.
You did that on purpose.

Just finished episode 7 and
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

How many episodes is Free! gonna be, 12 or 14?

I think this show is making me grow Yaoi Goggles. One scene
where they show the other competing swimmers stretching, and my first point of concentration was the one guy pushing down on the other guy.

Droplet

I love how Rin jumps back and forth between being angsty and a huge prick.

Dem feels at the end...I know Haruka's upset about not being able to swim with Rin but I still have bad memories from not qualifying for a finals meet due to stacked events. Except since Haruka finished only a split second after Rin, I have to imagine that Rin's probably one the slowest of those who qualified. That makes me feel slightly better.

Edit:
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
How many episodes is Free! gonna be, 12 or 14?

Wiki says 12.

tumblr_mrwm56U1Jw1qjngavo2_250.gif
tumblr_mrwm56U1Jw1qjngavo1_250.gif

Best episode yet, tons of Sharkbait, Rin Haru moments made it good and everyone offering them the support (especially nagisa), though all that Nitori. Someone penning the story must really like Nitori though it seems like a route
that wont advance far, though at least Rin offered him praise for endurance. I wonder if he will continue to treat him right and such. And on that note at least continues to show that Rin actually does care, yet again, for everyone around him even if sometimes he has a difficult way of showing it.

Intense race
so happy at the end there, yes, tied it up. Rin and Haru need to compete once more
. Enjoyed it immensely.

bigkrev

Free 7

While I kinda liked some parts of this episode (the Rin backstory), for the most part I found it boring. They did a bad job dumping info on us cause it felt like an info dump. And for the first time in the series, we got some real swimming- and just like I feared, there really isn't an interesting way to make swimming look good.

Kinda glad Rin won, because it would have been bullshit for him to train like crazy to beat
and fuck
Haru, while Haru just swims for fun and only seriously trained for a month. Probably will lead to a showdown in the relay, with Haru getting his win back.

Chuck

Still without luck
Good episode, and fuck Rin that asshole. Grey haired boy should find someone else. Haru needs to stop caring about Rin.

Episode 07

Woo more swimming!

This is definitely the mid-season problem that they'll solve and probably get over in the next episodes.

I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed that Rin is voiced by Mamoru Miyano in this series. He's just so dull. They are not using Mamoru's FABULOUS energy here.

Misuta

EP7

Finally a swimming competition and it was pretty exciting. The music and the animation were also great. At the end I felt sorry for Haru because Rin behaved like a jerk and said he will never swim with him again. What a heartbreaking scene. I hope Haru will kick his ass.

And nice photo of best husbando, Nagisa and their teacher.
VzyWaIql.jpg

I'm already looking forward to the next episode.

Misuta

So good.

I find the 2nd Drama CD not bad either and it's very funny. Dem yaoi vibes. My face was like this when I read the text. (You can read the full version here)

Nitori: Ah! Matsuoka-senpai! I’ll be your roommate starting today! I’m Nitori Aiichiro! I’ll be in your care!
Rin: Yeah.
Nitori: U-Um!
Rin: What?
Nitori: Ma-Matsuoka-senpai! Top or bottom… which do you prefer?
Rin: HUH?!
Nitori: Um… so… top or bottom…
Rin: HUHHHH?!
Nitori: The bed…
Rin: …Bottom.
Nitori: Okay!

Nitori: [writing] Matsuoka-senpai likes bottom.

Nitori, you creepy shota. You write everything that deals with Rin in your diary like a stalker.

Are these postcards or posters? Where can I find the image in a higher resolution?
esLsHs1l.jpg

Episode 8
Would you like some PB with that jelly Rin? Solid episode, kind of knew they going to end up doing the relay but it was interesting to not let any of leads qualify for the individual events.

Episode 8
tumblr_ms9nfkLnyq1rydwbvo2_500.gif

That was a creative and interesting episode. Swimming looked great as did upper body and lower body too (they always do feet so well). Also liked early morning Nagisa the hair even. But for the plot
it truly is painful being a Rin fan, he goes through so much emotional turbulence in this anime he cant even be happy for that long as he is crushed immediately by more feelings. I started to tear up of joy when he came running out at NItori's beckoning to see his old friends race, but then became tears of sadness how it seemed to be that Rei had snatched his precious place on the team of his old and trusted comrades and was ruining it. Poor guy, the feelings of nostalgia and memories, now crushed by the current circumstances. If only he could truly swim with Haru, Nagisa, and Makoto once again. His tearing eyes was really effective in pushing the emotional buttons. Great scenario

Misuta

EP8

Makoto, why is he so awesome? First the muscle show and then his sleeping face when he waited for Haru. So cute.
3yixobGl.jpg

When the others were searching for Haru I found it strange that his house was not locked up. Isn't it a bit careless?

Rin is pissed because Rei took his place in the team and complains about his butterfly stroke. Do I smell jealousy?

Why is there another cliffhanger?? I can't wait anymore. I need to see the relay now.

It looks like Rei has found Germany and with the appropriate title as well. XD (“frei” means “Free”)

wonzo

Banned
Episode 8

Ehh, this episode felt incredibly by the books outside of the
relay
at the end and the shot of
Haru's cellphone in the foreground just after his teammates left a message for him.
Pretty weak stuff.

Misuta

Cover of the Iwatobi Channel Vol. 2

ovGlZgSl.jpg

Haru smiles. Haru friggin' smiles
because Makoto shows him pictures of water.

Episode 9
tumblr_msmzapkVV41s6op8io1_500.gif

Best scene especially when Nagisa is confessing his love for Haruka. So good
I was a bit caught off guard that they would actually win and go on to do the relays. Somehow I thought they would just finish the series off with a friendly gathering for a Haruka Rin one on one match and then they would rekindle their bonds during the race. But going this route for the relay finish to at least keep everything together. Series still challenges in a certain way as it makes me not want to have Rei their on team but to instead of Rin. Could say I am experiencing the same feelings Rin has as he reminiscences that past and their fun times together and how he just isnt a part of it now due to his separate paths. The gripping the fence scene was well done and just really special, probably as good as our better than Haruka saying he wanted to swim with everyone

Also good doujin.

Misuta

EP9

Squids here, Squids there. I think Ika Musume would be proud to see all that stuff there.

The highlight of the episode was the Splinter Cell/Metal Gear Rei (XD) action. He mastered his super stealth skills in no time and looked fabulous as always when he followed Rin. I was laughing all the time. (Besides, Smartphone with a slider keyboard FTW. It's rare to see such a thing in an anime).

It's nice to see Haru speaking about his feelings and the relay. Actually I'm surprised that he became so emotional and I thought he would cry at any moment.

Why did Haru give Makoto four gold fish? One would have been enough. Now he has to suffer even more when all of them are going to die one by one.
Si43dojl.jpg

And yay, more Free! merchandise stuff
Torso Cushions (upper body only)
Free! x EXILIM collaboration digital camera
Calendar 2014

I expected more visible upper body with the calendars, and more RinHaru moments for it. Oh well, would get if they somehow brought it here or if I see someone on ebay offering it up, maybe.

The rin drama is the most exciting and interesting part making it really unique in anime storytelling. Looking forward to how Haru and Rin will bridge it and rekindle their friendship of sorts.

Nagisa's young voice was way too annoying though, hopefully no more flashbacks with him in a speaking role like that though.

wonzo

Banned
Episode 10

The drama in this is still dumb as hell but the
Marin-chan~
reveal was oh so worth it.

alloutalloutalloutalloutperfectbody

Chuck

Still without luck

Really enjoyed this episode. The yelling between Rin and Rei was really great. It was pretty predictable that Rin sucked in Australia and was angry as a result, but the episode didn't act like that was a big revelation. It was more about Rin not having a team that made him so bitter. Also we almost actually got Haru saying he likes Makoto with the most blush yet! Even when Nagisa asked him on the slide he played into it. I guess that's all we can hope for. [spoiler}fuck.{/spoiler]

That twist at the end was pretty unexpected though! I wonder what's going to happen next week because Rin is going to swim in that race. How can he not!

tumblr_mtd7h3nO9w1sdxt53o3_r2_500.gif

Intense episode prelude to the finale. As a Rin fan it was a really emotional rollercoaster ride all throughout.
Finally inspired after having a heart to heart with Rei at the end after confronting his own feelings, to be denied the chance to compete with Samezuka in the relay race was just shocking and an unexpected turnout. I thought things looked up so it would have been the natural reaction to proceed as planned, but then that. I can only hope that maybe someone will back down or Nitori will do something useful. He has been Rin's only supporter through and through.

Fun times with everyone else though, the shopping was fun and really memorable for the occasional partner swapups.

-
Also like the attack on Rin art.
tumblr_msh299YztQ1shqjauo2_500.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom