• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free! Swimming Anime |OT| Where Wet Dreams Come True

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free! - 01

That was a ton of fun, made better because I actually watched my school's swim club do a relay a few weeks back. All the tears and melodrama of an anime/Jdrama but in real life! Huzzah!

It also helps that I have students just like these numbskulls, which made it easy to enjoy their stupid antics.
I cracked up when Haru kept ripping his pants off to reveal his bathing suit.

It's not as good looking as Hyouka (is anything?), but it's still well animated. All that water sakuga was killing me.

Definitely looking forward to following this one. Also Gou is adorable.

Dude's got no ass. If I was gay/a woman I'd be disappointed.

But Rin is the best looking, his expressions and personality.

tumblr_mpeb14jbyW1qzc2bco1_500.jpg

Perfect for that bath scene.

This show. I can't believe it's real. So blatant in it's fan service. Incredible.

I thought the first episode was pretty good. I want the glasses guy to appear soon though. Also, I hope there aren't too many flashbacks to when they were kids, those parts are way too tropey. The end theme is amazing.

Also...

Green > Blue > Red = Yellow (I feel that Purple will fight with Green for the top spot when he's introduced.)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I tried to watch it since I enjoy swimming. Then I reminded myself that the only sport anime I ever watch is something from Adachi.

wildfire

Banned
A story focusing on the key themes of boys friendship, swimming, and upper body

tumblr_mnrbdmpEHd1qmencro2_500.gif

Hmm seems interesting.

But imagery like this turns me off so I'll pass. Japan has had a long history of idolizing the male body which I can respect, but it's done in a way that requires the viewer to admire the male body for the sake of the male body. I'm more comfortable with the western way of sexualizing men which presents us as desirable to women.

Branduil

Free! 1

Free! is a series from KyoAni, the well-regarded maker of many shows full of cute girls. And this series is no different, as we follow the plight of young high-school girl Gou and her wretched fate of being given a boyish name.

There's also some subplot with her brother falling out with a group of swimmers he used to be in a club with, but I didn't really follow it.

Kyon

Banned
Watched 1st Ep today.

For months now Makoto has been MINE and it hasn't changed. I ship him with Nagisa.

Also

WHY ARE THEIR WOMAN IN THIS? The only flaw about this period.

Blusby

This show is awesome, anyways Green>Red>Blue>Pink. Also had the best shirt removing animations ever, so intense.

Frosteey

Neo Member
Okay well I really, really disliked the opening song, and can't actually remember anything else about it.

Makoto is the standard boring generic childhood friend love interest. Automatically bad.

Nagisa is cheerfully bad.

Glasses guy is obviously already several bads ahead of both of them.

Rin and Gou are great.

Haruka's okay enough. His reactions to any mention of large bodies of water crack me up every time.

Personally, swimming is like the least compelling competitive activity you could possibly make a show about (eleven times worse than karuta, at least), but we shall see.

I was all about the desert stuff in the ending but they ruined it with 80s. Or 90s. Something ruinous.

A somewhat disappointing conclusion to an otherwise entertaining anime.

sleepykyo

Well now that episode 1 is out for non-premium members, I gave the series a shot.

one true pairings:

HskEZ0h.jpg
6Zz0YJP.jpg

W6DJBGa.jpg
fiUenBf.jpg

FfYVmAF.jpg
rqoImTt.jpg

I'll be back to pick up the check once the show is done.

Given the way Gou was butting heads with Nagisa, seems like the last two should be rearranged. And Gou for best waifu. Er, Makoto for best husbando.

I hope they keep the dubstep for the background music. Seeing Haruka in an apron reminds me of Saeko in an apron. On that note:

HSotD director

“Even if the world is swarming with zombies, let us not forget the breasts and thighs!” – those are our watchwords.

Free director

Upper bodies are filled with dreams. Don't forget to stare at their chests and shoulders.

I applaud directors that speak freely about their vision and deliver on it. Will be (belatedly) back for for more dubstep, Gou and Rei's debut.

-GJ-

Great episode. Even better than the first one, which I already liked a lot.

I really love the soundtrack so far. Even though I don't really like dubstep in tv shows and movies (I like dubstep, just not 'forced' in media to look 'hip'), I think it really fits with Free!. I hope the soundtrack gets released soon, or at least some of the songs. The piano track is my favorite so far.

4qmovNH.gif

Loved the cleaning and preparation for the club montage especially Haru trying to take a dip in a fish tank and his apparent mad art skills. Alternate reality refreshing Haru is pretty scary.

Best episode is yet to come, glasses-kun.

tumblr_mpqlnqLYO91rlqnnuo7_r1_250.gif

Pretty awesome episode that really stayed fun all through out. Sure Kou was starting to get incredible annoying but at least she truly can recognize the glory of Haru. We need even more scenes of Haru like that and even throw in some Rin to and everyone else. Its so great to see always.

I love the friendship rivalry theme a whole lot. Its really touching and kind of emotional even seeing Rin all like that distressed depressed
and even crying there in the flashback moment with their midnight one night getaway in the winter and maybe even present day. I teared up for him a bit as its easy to connect to him and everyone in the cast. Hope Makoto and Nagisa can help bring the two together and back to their old friendship ways, cause its nice to Haru smile there even if minimal and Rin could do better than lay about in his room like that (though great outfit choice)).

Really want the ost badly, nary a bad track. And one of the new characters has great design.

wonzo

Banned
Episode 2

free2.jpg

Some great swimming animation in this episode, if only the show didn't look like it had vaseline smeared all over it.

gou is the best kyoani girl. rip mayaka

Kad5

I'm going to ask a question and I want an honest answer:

Is the appeal of this show completely based around fanservice?

bigkrev

I'm going to ask a question and I want an honest answer:

Is the appeal of this show completely based around fanservice?

In the same way that K-ON is. Take that however you wish.

Free 2

I kinda like how Gou has turned into a cypher for the target audience of this show- "OMG ABS OMG" probably won't get old for at least a few more weeks.

Chuck

Still without luck
I kinda like how Gou has turned into a cypher for the target audience of this show- "OMG ABS OMG" probably won't get old for at least a few more weeks.

I don't see why anyone would find this appealing. I know they're hot guys. I am watching it after all. Other shows with a lot of fanservice don't have a character that flips out 3 times an episode.

I don't see why anyone would find this appealing. I know they're hot guys. I am watching it after all. Other shows with a lot of fanservice don't have a character that flips out 3 times an episode.

I think Gou is a decent asset to have if she can at least lead to scenes of us being able to see the glory of Haru and hopefully others as it goes on...but if she becomes a romantic interest then I will be a bit disappointed in how this anime about boys friendship turned out.

Chuck

Still without luck
I think Gou is a decent asset to have if she can at least lead to scenes of us being able to see the glory of Haru and hopefully others as it goes on...but if she becomes a romantic interest then I will be a bit disappointed in how this anime about boys friendship turned out.

I guess, it just a huge bummer that all these 3 shows I'm watching and enjoying right now have the same problem. Kuroko has a girl coach (worst of the 3), Mihashi has a girl manager, and now Free.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I think Gou is a decent asset to have if she can at least lead to scenes of us being able to see the glory of Haru and hopefully others as it goes on...but if she becomes a romantic interest then I will be a bit disappointed in how this anime about boys friendship turnedout.

Boys can be friends while falling in love with a girl. Let's not be coy here. We know what you meant. :lol

Narag

Boys can be friends while falling in love with a girl. Let's not be coy here. We know what you meant. :lol

There's five guys though, right? I'm sure SDBurton has addressed this in his own field of study but what's the solution to the odd man out??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom