• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free! Swimming Anime |OT| Where Wet Dreams Come True

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

This makes the scene where she's looking for her brother on the swim team all the more sad.

They hint at it when Makoto talks to the ex-coach/pizzaguy, too. Returning to places they remember . . . walking through those abandoned halls . . . the pieces are starting to come together.

Narag

They hint at it when Makoto talks to the ex-coach/pizzaguy, too. Returning to places they remember . . . walking through those abandoned halls . . . the pieces are starting to come together.

Rin leaving when they buried the trophy, returning when it's unearthed. I see now.

That would be way too depressing of a story and what not, but then it would at least provide some type of alternate explanation around that one colored page floating around from one of the Free! materials :(

bigkrev

Episode 3

Well, its now obvious that Nagisa x Glasses is a cannonical pairing like Haru x Rin. Love how Nagisa reasons that because Glasses has a girly name, he has to join the Swim Club. Also, we can probably put the Rin is dead theory behind us, as he interacts with a bunch of people this week.

Also, those poses that were in the PV for next week... :blush:

Episode 3 proves that Rei is the best character. He's stoic, overly dramatic, possibly eccentric and can't swim (I relate to his guy). While I'm not a fan of Nagisa (I never liked overly upbeat and positive people both in fiction and real life), I can't fault his incomprehensible logic.

Looks like it's a fanservice episode next week, time to be confused by all that toned muscular activity (brain's not used to seeing that meany lines to indicate muscle structure).

-GJ-

Episode 3 was great. Rei looks like a really cool character that really adds something to the show. His bellyflop was hilarious, haha. I do wish Rin wasn't a dick like he is right now though. Makes me think something really sad is going to happen.

tumblr_mq3tizfPN61r1xo14o1_500.png
tumblr_mq3tizfPN61r1xo14o2_500.png

Nagisa was so amazing this episode and gave me so many smiles and etc. From the head rubbing on Haru at the start of the episode to even the declaration of Rei being beautiful it was just so good. And his va is really bringing him and his personality to life so well. Nagisa and Rei seem as canon as Haru and Rin even (Rin still showing extreme amounts of concern to Haru was nice). Favorite moment outside of that.

Rei for best body? Next episode hurry.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel like there's a lot of directorial dissonance in this show. It's clear they're trying to invoke typical sport shounen tropes but the execution is just heavyhanded, probably from a lack of experience. The mannerisms of the characters are very reminiscent of K-ON's moeblobs, but that just clashes with the sharp angular artstyle.

I'm enjoying it so far but it's just really flawed.

Another realization is that the girly boys gang has only recently got back into swimming, which makes me wonder how they kept their bodies so toned without regular workouts and cardio. What have they been doing since quitting swimming? Haru was out of breath just from doing some light cardio when his body fat percentage probably demands a much strenuous running/biking regime.

Basically, do you even lift Kyoani?

wonzo

Banned
episode 3

free3.jpg

waifu

haru was p. moe when he gets determined to accomplish something

brown > red = blue > black >>> yellow

Chuck

Still without luck
cross post

Free 3

Awesome Awesome Awesome.
Gao sucks big time though, the less of her one-dimentioness the better.

edit: Hmm, since I never go into detail on my feelings on these since my quick takeaway has been "love this show, fuck that girl", I will.

I really like how Rei's character uses the math and science of sports to improve himself and take an advantage in what he does, but at the same time doesn't let his love for the beauty and wonder of the sport and the athleticism needed to pull it vanish in the process. I can see him being a guy that just preforms for numbers on paper or just for the display he puts on, but that he's doing both makes it so cool to see.

Nagisa was really great this episode. So many cute moments and unexpectedly he seems like the perfect pair for Rei.

Makoto and Haru were in the background for the most part, but they still kept on being them...or whatever.

Also I guess this leaves the pairing uneven. Rei & Nagisa, Makoto & Haru, and Rin & ______. I guess
that boy in that photo from episode 2
could be his?

Can't wait for next week.

survivor

Banned

Rei was very awesome. Potentially the best husbando of the cast so far until we get to see more of Rin. I don't really get his calculations shtick, who the hell does that shit in sports?

bigkrev

Rei was very awesome. Potentially the best husbando of the cast so far until we get to see more of Rin. I don't really get his calculations shtick, who the hell does that shit in sports?

Well, insane calculations at split seconds is not just a Shonen troupe, its also something that happens in real sports. Hell, look at the Manning's Mind commercial from 5 years ago to see an insane example.

Also, as someone who taught swim lessons for years, anyone over the age of 10 who doesn't already know how to swim is going to take a LONG time to train. I'm going to call bullshit if he is racing by next episode.

Misuta

I chuckled at the scene where Rei and Nagisa were walking sideways like crabs at the train station.

Rei's belly flop looked so hilarious but later I felt sorry for him. He could have drowned
and then a mouth-to-mouth scene would have happened. lol
Oh man, this scene was too embarassing to watch.

And don't mess with Haru or...

Every episode gets better and better and easily had so many good moments that a post would be too long detailing them. The changing scene was probably my favorite non plot moment just for all their outfits and poses (Nagisa Haru best), and that one shot of Rei in the middle of changing, if only. Other minor scene was yet another Nagisa rubbing his head on Haru, its always his voice in these and such that make me rewind plus it is really pleasing.

Did like the aspect of the characters feeling tied down and not free! Rin and Haru is really the main story and feels like it may be even deeper than anyone initially imagined. Would a competition really help that easily, hopefully. Was actually surprised Haru was able to speak back an even challenged Rin to not cry. I hope he wont but it would be something to imagine. I think its time to fasten the seatbelt on this emotional rollercoaster ride.

Episode 4

Really funny episode of trying to teach Rei how to swim. Hit all the right marks with the jokes and was a blast to watch.

Superior Butterfly Stroke!

Oh man, had no idea there was an OT.

Free! 04

Once again Rei steals the show.
i8yEKhXuu90Xd.gif

Also ordering pizza to talk to a former coach was pretty funny.

Does this guy only show up to tell the audience that Rin will appear in the next scene? It seems like that's his only job on the show.

ibhnVMtsWF8Cr.jpg

Oh man, had no idea there was an OT.

Does this guy only show up to tell the audience that Rin will appear in the next scene? It seems like that's his only job on the show.

ibhnVMtsWF8Cr.jpg

He must be the spirit medium who summons the ghost of Rin so everyone else will interact with him.

MYSTERY SOLVED!

#Teamglasses better than all the other teams (jk, but he is a favorite due to his quirkiness and glasses).

The quality of writing is keeping up and characters are getting more interesting, knew I coming into a fanservice episode but I chuckled at Rei's seriousness and the fashion show. Glad to see Kou isn't some useless manager character they created that serves no purpose.

They need to reveal that the teacher was a swimsuit model or something so we can get this over with.

Misuta

EP 4

Lol everyone made fun of Rei, especially Haru ("The water doesn't like him") but hey, he finally knows how to swim.

Makoto plays with Haru while taking care of his siblings at the same time? Best husbando ever. God, why must he look so hot with his glasses?

WTbPvaml.jpg

Does anbody know why the next episode will be aired on 7th August?

EP 4

Lol everyone made fun of Rei, especially Haru ("The water doesn't like him") but hey, he finally knows how to swim.

Makoto plays with Haru while taking care of his siblings at the same time? Best husbando ever. God, why must he look so hot with his glasses?

http://i.imgur.com/WTbPvaml.jpg[/IG]

Does anbody know why the next episode will be aired on 7th August?[/QUOTE]

They look great with megane, but somehow Rei looks better with them off, whenever he smiles. Good character design choice.

Think theres a swimming competition airing on next week so thats why the anime will miss a week.

Westraid

I'm really liking the series and its characters so far. I've been swimming (not competitively) pretty much all my life, so when I finally found out about it I knew I had to give it a try at least.
Really can't wait for the next episode. I was never too fond of pools and prefer open water myself.

tumblr_mqi9jewnrV1rmy5rno1_500.png

#teammakoto

Cheska

I feel like this is the show that's getting me back into anime. Without a doubt it keeps getting better with each airing. Also, how can you not love Makoto?

tumblr_mqh5r21ep01rkib8lo1_250.gif

Just watched episode 3. Rei is completely flawless. Best character. (Along with Makoto.)

I like the other two (speaking) members of Rin's club too. In fact, I like pretty much all of the characters in this show except for Rin. (Even Nagisa has grown on me... just a bit.)

I continue to be very pleasantly surprised by this show. I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

wonzo

Banned
Episode 4

free4.jpg

featuring the world's most stunted cat

By far and away the best episode yet. Watching Rei struggling to swim in such a short period of time was incredibly entertaining, as was the back and forth between the others trying to work out just what to do. It did get a little but Key though with the bit between Haro and Rin but I can deal with that angsty stuff for now.

blue > brown = red >> black = yellow

bigkrev

Free 4

I've probably attended 1000 swim practices in my life (mostly working as a lifeguard), and I never knew that you could technically swim any stroke for Freestyle. The more you know!

There was a near overwhelming amount of fanservice this week- are they just going to start making out next episode to top this week? Was super funny seeing Glasses have perfect form for all of his strokes, but an inability to move forward and stay floating. Even without the episode title, they did a good job foreshadowing the Butterfly revelation with the swimsuit.

Also, great angsty moment for Rin x Haru, the OTP of the series.

bigkrev

Free! 5

Well, the end of the episode was... different, for sure. Kind of a dramatic turn for this otherwise fluff series. Who know, maybe Rin won't be the only ghost by the end of this series! Maybe everyone is already dead and we are seeing this all through Haru's possibly autistic world view!

Also, Kou and Teacher were cute together.

tumblr_mr6hb6SfOe1sv90xgo1_500.png
tumblr_mr6hb6SfOe1sv90xgo2_500.png

The camera is always positioned just right. Anyway, best beach camping trip in awhile and numerous pleasing scenes, the lead up was entertaining and hilarious and then most of the stuff going on was quite good. Rin's haru detector is pretty amazing
how fitting and then for Rin development, it was good that they did manage to get him to show some feelings of concern for everyone overall and not just Haru. Worrying over Makoto's past with the ocean (which seemed well done how they kept having brief mentions of something in his past as it went on and on, seems pretty sad though but at least he has no trauma, assuming nothing bad happens to Rei. And poor Rei, part wishes its just a bad dream sequence. other hopes that somehow Rin jumps in on the scene to save him and Makoto.

Nagisa has best outfits his shirt and accessories at the start and then the night scene, and shorts, Rei's shorts design also.

Droplet

I'm surprised, the drama created here is pretty plausible. Swimming in the ocean is like hiking, you really shouldn't do it alone.

On the note of plausibility, "I can only swim butterfly" said nobody ever. I don't think I've ever seen a beginning swimmer do butterfly well. Oh well, this show has been remarkably accurate for a sports show so I'll give it a free pass on that note.

Cheska

So just pure speculation about the next episode
obviously Haru and likely Rin are going to come to the rescue

Also this is the greatest LOL

tumblr_mr6mnaNVhs1s2l5klo2_250.gif

Misuta

EP5

Wow, this episode was so intense and DAT CLIFFHANGER...it's killing me. Rei, Makoto!! ;_;

abvyGsll.jpg

Shit just got real.

Man, the water really hates Rei, doesn't it?

And lol at Haru's mackerel obsession. Does he eat anything else?

KmA

I'm just confused as to why Rei was so tired. He is the only one of the four constantly training yet they are all out of practice and lasted way longer than him somehow.

Droplet

I'm just confused as to why Rei was so tired. He is the only one of the four constantly training yet they are all out of practice and lasted way longer than him somehow.

He's never swam before. The others might be out of practice but they've probably built up greater endurance over the years. I think another way to look at it would be that they've already built up muscle in those areas whereas Rei hasn't. Swimming uses different muscles than running, and you actually see him catching up to them when they do their land portion, which makes sense because he was already on the track team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom