• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#FreeStelllarBlade petition demanding game's original clothing hits over 50k signatures

Madflavor

Here's why people who think this petition is stupid can fuck off with their takes. The sex appeal and coomer content, was a big part of the marketing for Stellar Blade. This girl's ass was front in center in many of the trailers, and the Director has gone on record multiple times in interviews that he intentionally wanted Eve to be sexualized. The target audiences for this game were Coomers and Action fans. We see outfits and a level of gore in the trailers and demo, that don't make it into the final game. No it's not just a lace in one outfit, shut the fuck up with your downplaying. There's roughly half a dozen outfits that we know of that got nerfed. Furthermore, and here's the biggest mistake Shrift Up made, they outright said the game would be uncensored in all regions days before release. To an extent, Shrift Up also is partly to blame because they knew it was censored and they put out that statement anyway. Stellar Blade was seen by many as a game that was unapologetic in it's horniness, at a politically charged time where most leading women in games look like fucking dudes. So for this game to have some of it's outfits censored, showed that even to some extent, Stellar Blade isn't safe from publisher meddling when it comes to sex appeal.

You could say it's no big deal, but evidently it was if Sony had them make the change. So if it's a big deal to them, why can't it be a big deal to others? If the Coom Club end up winning this fight, there's a good chance Sony might think twice before pulling this shit again with some future games, or at least if Stellar Blade 2 ever gets made.

Last edited:

GHound

Would it be unreasonable then?
No?
Steve Harvey What GIF

Here's why people who think this petition is stupid can fuck off with their takes. The sex appeal and coomer content, was a big part of the marketing for Stellar Blade. This girl's ass was front in center in many of the trailers, and the Director has gone on record multiple times in interviews that he intentionally wanted Eve to be sexualized. The target audiences for this game were Coomers and Action fans. We see outfits and a level of gore in the trailers and demo, that don't make it into the final game. No it's not just a lace in one outfit, shut the fuck up with your downplaying. There's roughly half a dozen outfits that we know of that got nerfed. Furthermore, and here's the biggest mistake Shrift Up made, they outright said the game would be uncensored in all regions days before release. To an extent, Shrift Up also is partly to blame because they knew it was censored and they put out that statement anyway. Stellar Blade was seen by many as a game that was unapologetic in it's horniness, at a politically charged time where most leading women in games look like fucking dudes. So for this game to have some of it's outfits censored, showed that even to some extent, Stellar Blade isn't safe from publisher meddling when it comes to sex appeal.

You could say it's no big deal, but evidently it was if Sony had them make the change. So if it's a big deal to them, why can't it be a big deal to others? If the Coom Club end up winning this fight, there's a good chance Sony might think twice before pulling this shit again with some future games, or at least if Stellar Blade 2 ever gets made.
not sure if serious or a bit

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Eh as much as people wanna act like this is the fanbase turning on it, even people I've seen talking about this censorship issue are still playing it and enjoying. Hell I've been playing the 1.0 version and loving it so far lol. Still mostly positive discourse

Senhua

Eh as much as people wanna act like this is the fanbase turning on it, even people I've seen talking about this censorship issue are still playing it and enjoying. Hell I've been playing the 1.0 version and loving it so far lol. Still mostly positive discourse
They've already received the money, and most of the refund requests have been rejected due to the preload. Despite feeling irritated and somewhat misled, the game is still pretty good at least
But I'm not sure if their next single-player game, whether with or without Sony, will generate the same level of hype as this one
I, for one, will definitely wait for discounts and reviews, no matter how well they promote it

They've already disappointed the gacha audience with NIKKE, and now they're upsetting the single-player audience with this. How long do you think they can keep this up

Why do people always read these as death threats? I'm pretty sure what both meant was they wanted a global 'ignore this person' button so they don't have to see/hear Grummz ever again.

Because they are death threats, whether it’s meant to be serious or not. They should just press the ignore button if they don’t like something but that’s not how the far left woke rolls.

No, everyone else is wrong, it’s not them. Everyone else deserves to die if they don’t follow their exact personal rules (also called fascism in some other places).

SonicJams

I'm certainly for the cause, for the reasons that others have said in this thread.

However, i think the "uncensored in all regions" quote was taken out the intended context. I think it's fairly obvious they were signifying the game would be the same version across all areas, and not changed/censored in particular regions over others.

v9ZWDkr.jpeg

vc0nksi.jpeg

The use of silhouette and tonal plan or tonal composition (which involves negative space) are character design techniques. Just saying

tommib

Most of the videos on the petition are now trolling and it’s honestly some of the funniest shit I’ve seen recently. I love it when people gather around in high numbers to actually make something funny. Reminds me of funny flash mobs:

Last edited:
Why do people always read these as death threats? I'm pretty sure what both meant was they wanted a global 'ignore this person' button so they don't have to see/hear Grummz ever again.
Because some weirdo out there might take him up on his offer and "make him disappear" then go looking to collect. Should anything happen to the poor fellow then the guy that wrote that could absolutely be held liable for it.

manfestival

While on one hand I think this petition is stupid. On the other hand I support the existence of it and completely understand and agree with the sentiment behind it.

midnightAI

Because some weirdo out there might take him up on his offer and "make him disappear" then go looking to collect. Should anything happen to the poor fellow then the guy that wrote that could absolutely be held liable for it.
Yes, they would, but what in saying is this initial intent is probably not 'kill this person for x amount'. Grummz immediately leaping to 'they want me killed' is done for the clicks/drama.

I have said myself 'I never want to hear from that person again'. That doesn't mean I want them dead even though it could be construed that way.

Maybe it's a societal/cultural/language/country/region thing but I never read the initial 20k post or this one as '20k to kill Grummz' (which the 30k one is playing off and can certainly be deemed joking due to the original)

(As kids, heck, even as adults, we used to say "I'm going to kill you" all the time, usually before a fight, it was never meant, nor insinuated, that you actually wanted to murder that person)

Last edited:

ShadowNate

So at the very best (and taking as a given that the twitter mob is mentally stable, which it is not) it is "cancel him", which is something the same people claim is not a thing and that never did.

And I detest that what grummz and other "influencers are doing/grifting for -- though it's very apparent to me why these people have flourished in the current culture war -- but then again I can laugh at the silliest of their messages, ignore them or block them. Anyone can do that. It doesn't have to be global.

midnightAI

So at the very best (and taking as a given that the twitter mob is mentally stable, which it is not) it is "cancel him", which is something the same people claim is not a thing and that never did.

And I detest that what grummz and other "influencers are doing/grifting for -- though it's very apparent to me why these people have flourished in the current culture war -- but then again I can laugh at the silliest of their messages, ignore them or block them. Anyone can do that. It doesn't have to be global.
Well, yeh, it is a cancellation him call, which isn't good either, but Grummz is leaping straight to death threat, which I very much doubt was the initial intent.

But Grummz is also close to the 'cancel this game' line (different thing I know but peoples livelihoods do rely on it doing well, developers are human too), he's not quite there yet but how far will he go if 'request denied'

Yes, they would, but what in saying is this initial intent is probably not 'kill this person for x amount'. Grummz immediately leaping to 'they want me killed' is done for the clicks/drama.

I have said myself 'I never want to hear from that person again'. That doesn't mean I want them dead even though it could be construed that way.

Maybe it's a societal/cultural/language/country/region thing but I never read the initial 20k post or this one as '20k to kill Grummz' (which the 30k one is playing off and can certainly be deemed joking due to the original)

(As kids, heck, even as adults, we used to say "I'm going to kill you" all the time, usually before a fight, it was never meant, nor insinuated, that you actually wanted to murder that person)
I'm gen X, so I get what you're saying. Different world now though, and some things just can't be said today, like shouting "fire" in a theater.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If two months ago anyone on a videogame forum was asked about the chance of getting a legit AAA ARPG game featuring the outfits Stellar Blade has everyone would have replied "No way, Jose". Even the few who knew Shift Us from previous games would have said no. All those free costumes, not paid DLCs. People would never believe it, and rightfully so.

We are acting as if that is common in big-budget games. Regardless of the reason why the bunny suit got "nerfed" you can't say with a straight face that this game is sexually censored.

gIja5JA.jpeg
Exactly. Stellar blade does something no other game does. It has over 50 outfits. All for free. All revealing more sexy character than any other game released in last 10 years. No woke to be found.

And what’s the reward? Again people fucking complaining. Like with dragons dogma 2, people always find shit to complain. It’s so tiring. Every game it’s the damn complaining and whining.

And it’s just 2 outfits that are no amongst the most revealing anyway. If not for the stupid twitter complainers, none of those who signed the stupid petition would ever know some 2 outfits changed. Never. We didn’t even knew these are in the game before it released. It’s a non existing complaint. And the outfits are still sexy. She just wears underwear under the bunny suit as you would expect. Maybe the only complaint from Sony was “cmon she must have underwear”. And that’s reasonable I guess.

This is why this industry sucks. No matter what, there is complaining.
Too expensive!!! Even though 70 is like 50 10 years ago.
Too easy!!! Even though it’s harder than any pre dark souls game.
Too many mtx! Even though it’s ignorable.

new single player games. New IPs. Like forspoken or immortals get destroyed and judged harsher than worst gatcha gaas games. What kind of signal is that.

Senhua

I predict that their next game (if any) will be more conservative.
Naturally, neutral group will likely blame the anti-woke crowd as usual like on this forum, when in reality, this whole fiasco was caused by the developers themselves using bait-and-switch marketing tactics.

midnightAI

I'm gen X, so I get what you're saying. Different world now though, and some things just can't be said today, like shouting "fire" in a theater.
ShadowNate ShadowNate is probably closer to what I meant, it was a call to cancel Grummz rather than a death threat. Which is still not right of course, but Grummz is intensifying the drama with the 'they want me dead' post.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Idk where are you taking this from. The sex appeal was accidental in the trailers. I’ve been following this game for years when nobody knew about it. It was usually eve in her green default costume. I never had any impression it would be a game with multiple outfits even. Not until last month… and that’s end of 5 year long marketing/development cycle.

So it’s absolutely nonsense. We go from 0 to 100 in Coom club compared to other AAA games in past 10 years but people whine why it’s not some 101%. 2 outfits which debatably look better now. 2.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Idk where are you taking this from. The sex appeal was accidental in the trailers. I’ve been following this game for years when nobody knew about it. It was usually even in her green default costume. I never had any impression it would be a game with multiple outfits even. Not until last month… and that’s end of 5 year long marketing/development cycle.

So it’s absolutely nonsense. We go from 0 to 100 in Coom club compared to other AAA games in past 10 years but people whine why it’s not some 101%. 2 outfits which debatably look better now. 2.
All of the 'stellar ass' posts and initial 'sexy protagonist finally' type posts, memes, GIFs were originally from the default suit.

It would be interesting to see how many people who are outspoken about the changes are actually interested in this game Vs going along with the drama.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
All of the 'stellar ass' posts and initial 'sexy protagonist finally' type posts, memes, GIFs were originally from the default suit.
Yep. It was always the green suit. It was always good looking but the game flew by everyone’s radar for at least first 3 years of the trailers.
I was like “oh this looks kinda awesome, even the lady got some ass that will be removed for release” and here we are, surprised. They went to 10000% on that and people still complain

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Again, I think you are making this intent up but even if you were right, years and years of treating anything negative as a death threats it would be inevitable two play the same game eventually.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yep. It was always the green suit. It was always good looking but the game flew by everyone’s radar for at least first 3 years of the trailers.
I was like “oh this looks kinda awesome, even the lady got some ass that will be removed for release” and here we are, surprised. They went to 10000% on that and people still complain
People complain because some BS is being pulled, period :).

midnightAI

Again, I think you are making this intent up but even if you were right, years and years of treating anything negative as a death threats it would be inevitable two play the same game eventually.
I think it's because I read it as 'to disappear off the internet' not as 'to disappear and be dead in a ditch somewhere'. I understand that it's serious and should never have been said though but that's the problem with a lot of text, sometimes things can be taken out of context (and I could have read it wrong and they did actually put a bounty on his head, but I dont see it that way)

Senhua

Idk where are you taking this from. The sex appeal was accidental in the trailers. I’ve been following this game for years when nobody knew about it. It was usually eve in her green default costume. I never had any impression it would be a game with multiple outfits even. Not until last month… and that’s end of 5 year long marketing/development cycle.

Correction.
0 to 100 and in the end the director himself dial it down to 99% in order to appease a specific group or meet the requirements of a particular rating agency in a certain country.
He then claimed that this adjustment was truly their vision all along, despite earlier boasting about the game being completely uncensored.

The anti-woke crowd (initially targeted by the game's marketing) responded with. 'It seems you're not the chosen one after all. You're just like the others, bending to alter your content to 99%. If I had known this beforehand, I wouldn't have wholeheartedly supported your game'

Offer unconditional refunds to those who preordered and feel misled, and this nonsense will be resolved.
If not, well then say goodbye to this crowd for your next game. You might consider incorporating the use of a burqa in your next game to appeal to a different audience.

Last edited:

demigod

Which part of “make him disappear” do you not understand? The original tweet IS a death threat, which is either suspended or permed. She upped the bounty on him. Don’t want to see him? Use the Block button like she’s been blocking people.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh, I guess when Hyung-Tae Kim talked about how Eve was designed to be especially attractive with special attention on her ass, that was accidental too.
When was that? I never saw this and I watched every trailer. Bruh that was like last month. I guarantee you none of these petition signers knew about some late interview

I lot of people picked up the game to support the message of no censorship in any region, then they patched in censorship day one. Not everybody who is kicking off about this is upset the new costumes show less skin, they are pissed off they supported a dishonest studio who didn't follow through on their promise to their customers.

consoul

When was that? I never saw this and I watched every trailer. Bruh that was like last month. I guarantee you none of these petition signers knew about some late interview
It was early February, but that's beside the point. There was nothing accidental about Eve's sex appeal. It was clearly intentional from the get go.

And also
She just wears underwear under the bunny suit as you would expect.
Who expects underwear sticking out the sides of a bunny suit? That's not a thing man.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Which part of “make him disappear” do you not understand? The original tweet IS a death threat, which is either suspended or permed. She upped the bounty on him. Don’t want to see him? Use the Block button like she’s been blocking people.
Already explained, but basically, wanting someone cancelled != Death threat

The original user removed themselves I think as all of their social media accounts was gone. Blocking doesn't work completely if some of you favourite YouTubers are also bringing it up.

Look, I could be the one who read it wrong, only the original poster could tell you what they meant by it and the rest of us read it how we understand it and I read it as wanting them to disappear from the internet, their feeds, not discussed by others.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think it's because I read it as 'to disappear off the internet' not as 'to disappear and be dead in a ditch somewhere'. I understand that it's serious and should never have been said though but that's the problem with a lot of text, sometimes things can be taken out of context (and I could have read it wrong and they did actually put a bounty on his head, but I dont see it that way)
We have trained a lot of people to think and believe “intentions do not matter, what matters is how people perceive things” and “this is not mob justice or cancel culture but consequences culture” and the abuse of this extremist and polarised attitude once “the other side” started using the same tactics too was evident and totally predictable which is why people pushed back (and some people like you, but not necessarily you, would handwave it away as a nothing burger or downplay it some other way).

What some people refuse to understand time and time again when they have to tolerate something they do not like and move towards abusive, controlling, wrong think banning and punishing is that at some points tables Will flip and they will be subject to it (complaining will do no good as common sense will accept it all as a normal and reasonable way to deal with public discourse and ideas).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
See, it would be a death threat even without evidence if it happened to “the other side”. We are not that far from saying that he asked for it, I cannot wait until that argument is made because we are not far from it.

TrebleShot

I lot of people picked up the game to support the message of no censorship in any region, then they patched in censorship day one. Not everybody who is kicking off about this is upset the new costumes show less skin, they are pissed off they supported a dishonest studio who didn't follow through on their promise to their customers.
Sorry since when was this game the coming of the non censorship saviour? bizarre, if people bought this to support non censorship rather than to play a cool action game, then it is on them as mindless idiots that they spent their money.

Even if the director of the game says its un-censored its a passing comment and he would rightfully assume that what is there is fine as it is even patched to make it slightly less revealing.

Sony and his shareholders will tell him to change it and I dont think he gives much of a shit to be like "nah, some nerds on the internet may get upset".

What are we even talking about here, this isnt a political movement, its a fucking game about a cyborg woman smashing up monsters.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Why am I not surprised it's this dipshit, lol.
Yeah, he used to be a pretty cool guy.
Now he's just nonstop ranting in increasingly vitriolic takes, digging himself deeper and deeper.
Sad to see, really.

On the topic itself. The change to the costume was dumb and uncalled for.
In the matter, people who are upset about it are right. Something was changed post-release in kind of a rugpull situation.
But it is such an insignificant change that the outrage it causes is equally as dumb and uncalled for.
There would be more of a point if all of her costumes had been changed like that, but that obviously didn't happen, so this just appears fairly insane to cause more than some raised eyebrows.

And people again sling the word censorship around, obviously without understanding what that word even means.

Last edited:

Senhua

We have trained a lot of people to think and believe “intention do not matter, what matter is how people perceive things” and “this is not mob justice or cancel culture but consequences culture” and the abuse of this extremist and polarised attitude once “the other side” started using the same tactics too was evident and totally predictable which is why people pushed back (and some people like you, but not necessarily you, would handwave it away as a nothing burger or downplay it some other way).

What some people refuse to understand time and time again when they have to tolerate something they do not like and move towards abusive, controlling, wrong think banning and punishing is that at some points tables Will flip and they will be subject to it (complaining will do no good as common sense will accept it all as normal and reasonable way to deal with public discourse and ideas).
It's truly reminiscent of that Holocaust poem. They will disregard it until it's their turn, but by then, no one will be there to help them because those who cared are already gone.
Similarly, regarding this issue, it might seem small now. However, if you push it aside because it doesn't seem important to you and they come to address the thing you care about later, others might have already moved on to other things

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Correction.
0 to 100 and in the end the director himself dial it down to 99% in order to appease a specific group or meet the requirements of a particular rating agency in a certain country.

Well, for a start off here you're ascribing specific motivations to another individual in order to fit your narrative. Ironically this is basically the good old "dog whistle" argument beloved of the wokies!
So you tell me why I should give this position any more credence than theirs?

It also disregards that there could be other reasons for the changes that have nothing to do with the culture war? I mean there are actual reports of Japanese devs feeling slighted by being held more tightly to rating's standards than Shift-Up apparently were. That's an entirely different issue, and deserves consideration on its own merits.

Do you not see how a bunch of changes in different areas are being conflated into a singular narrative where one faction (woke, western journos) is responsible for everything? Even when, as I just noted, we already know FOR A FACT that some criticism/controversy emanated from elsewhere!

He then claimed that this adjustment was truly their vision all along, despite earlier boasting about the game being completely uncensored.

This isn't contradictory. If he wasn't forced to make changes, but did so of his of own volition based on reactions then he wasn't censored. The fact that physical copies were rated, manufactured and published internationally proves without question that this wasn't a matter of legal compliance! If that was the case Shift-Up would be looking at hefty fines because ratings are enforced with legal penalties.

The anti-woke crowd (initially targeted by the game's marketing) responded with. 'It seems you're not the chosen one after all. You're just like the others, bending to alter your content to 99%. If I had known this beforehand, I wouldn't have wholeheartedly supported your game'

Proving themselves to be just as mindlessly reactionary as their pro-woke counterparts. So they can fuck off too - because they aren't a "solution" they are just another bunch of authoritarian activists.

Offer unconditional refunds to those who preordered and feel misled, and this nonsense will be resolved.
If not, well then say goodbye to this crowd for your next game. You might consider incorporating the use of a burqa in your next game to appeal to a different audience.

Wholly unnecessary. The changes are not so radical that they justify this, better just to sit-tight and let the controversy pass in a few days when the low-IQ mob moves onto its next thing.
Also, why try to appease people wanting dictate terms to you creatively? If they were invested in that approach the game as-is would simply not exist!

Senhua

Sorry since when was this game the coming of the non censorship saviour? bizarre, if people bought this to support non censorship rather than to play a cool action game, then it is on them as mindless idiots that they spent their money.

Even if the director of the game says its un-censored its a passing comment and he would rightfully assume that what is there is fine as it is even patched to make it slightly less revealing.

Sony and his shareholders will tell him to change it and I dont think he gives much of a shit to be like "nah, some nerds on the internet may get upset".

What are we even talking about here, this isnt a political movement, its a fucking game about a cyborg woman smashing up monsters.
If what you said is true – that SU and Sony do not intend to make the coomer game – then there is something wrong with how they market it, as it seems to give their potential customers a different impression
By disregarding their complaint, you're essentially alienating them from your studio audience and PlayStation platform
It's not a good look for the studio, especially considering their history of making coomer gacha games.

demigod

Already explained, but basically, wanting someone cancelled != Death threat

The original user removed themselves I think as all of their social media accounts was gone. Blocking doesn't work completely if some of you favourite YouTubers are also bringing it up.

Look, I could be the one who read it wrong, only the original poster could tell you what they meant by it and the rest of us read it how we understand it and I read it as wanting them to disappear from the internet, their feeds, not discussed by others.
The wording was disappear, not canceled. You are just making it up now.

Last edited:

Senhua

Wholly unnecessary. The changes are not so radical that they justify this, better just to sit-tight and let the controversy pass in a few days when the low-IQ mob moves onto its next thing.
Also, why try to appease people wanting dictate terms to you creatively? If they were invested in that approach the game as-is would simply not exist!
Well, if SU truly wants to distance themselves from coomer games and move into more mainstream territory, what more can I say?
It's a brilliant move then, squashing all the coomer money before gone surely making a very lasting impression.
Good Luck.

Last edited:

Vlodril

People are actually putting out bounties on foos.😐

If this was happening on the "other side" there would be 10 articles already screaming about it. Even the previous incident when the person said i ll give 20k to someone to make this guy disappear (which afterwards the guy deleted every single online platform he was on) got no traction whatsoever.

But "journalism"...

Top Bottom