• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frito-Lay debuts new Cheetos Mix-Ups - different forms of Cheetos in one bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Cheetos Mix-Ups: Frito-Lay Debuts Cheezy Salsa, Xtra Cheezy Bag Mixes

Cheetos are "one of the most marvelously constructed foods on the planet, in terms of pure pleasure," argued food scientist Steven Witherly in a recent New York Times article on addictive junk food. It's hard to disagree with Witherly -- despite the frightening neon orange color of Cheetos, they remain one of the most delicious artificial cheese snacks out there.

Frito-Lay, Cheetos' parent company, has released two new Cheetos products: Cheezy Salsa Mix and Xtra Cheezy Mix. Each bag contains four different flavors of Cheetos. The idea behind the move, according to Frito-Lay, was to combine all the different forms of Cheetos in one place. Now, Cheetos fans no longer have to choose between puffed or crunch, hot or mellow.

GjYXBwU.png

Xtra Cheezy:

6pkGQRVl.jpg

This bag mix is not nearly as flavor-popping as the Cheezy Salsa bag is. If you're more into straight cheese flavors, we recommend this one over the salsa bag. If you're down for something a bit more bold though, definitely go salsa.

qMm9L6ht.jpg

Cheddar
This is the Cheetos flavor everyone knows and loves. And it is still great when mixed in with other offerings.

orvA342t.jpg

Nacho Cheese
This is pretty much a Dorito chip on steroids. There is an intense nacho cheese taste that lingers for awhile on the tongue. If you're a fan of that artificial cheese taste, this might be a huge winner for you.

lPPitpqt.jpg

Parmesan
This nugget-sized bite doesn't taste much like parmesan. It has a vague generic cheese taste that isn't offensive, but also isn't memorable.

9ehpQtLt.jpg

Double Cheddar
If you're a fan of regular Cheetos, then you'll almost definitely like this. It isn't quite two times the flavor of normal Cheddar, but it is cheese-heavy enough to sate your cravings.

Cheezy Salsa Mix:

FhwTiBjl.jpg

When scooped from the bag all at once, the flavors all sort of taste the same. This is a shame -- this bag is best eaten by tasting different Cheetos one at a time. While several of these flavors are fairly significant departures from the original Cheetos flavor, some are welcomed changes while others leave us wanting cleaner tastes.

aG3lN9Bt.jpg

Chipotle Cheddar
The chipotle flavor is immediately evident in this waffle-shaped Cheeto. The jury is out on whether that is a good thing -- if you want a slightly smoky taste to your Cheetos, then you may be pleased. It is strong enough that it clouds the other flavors, though.

tJWtrzat.jpg

Salsa Piccante
While the color is reminiscent of Hot Cheetos, the taste is a bit different. The salsa piccante flavor has a distinct tomato taste, and a present but not overpowering spiciness.

DFaXm0ct.jpg

Jalapeno Cheddar
It is a bit strange eating a Cheeto that is frighteningly green. While the jalapeno taste is evident, there isn't a ton of cheddar flavor. If you like peppers, you'll be down with this green monster. Otherwise, you might be better off sticking to the cheese flavors.

3icgWjbt.jpg

Cheddar
While this is supposed to taste like a plain old Cheddar Cheeto, it picks up some of the spice and pepper taste from the others in the bag. That can actually be a good thing -- it's Cheddar with an oh-so-slight kick.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
That green chunk looks exactly like rabbit shit, if you've ever owned a rabbit.

Also, this is a little known fact but rabbits have the worst smelling piss of any animal. It's actually highly, highly acidic and it will bleach the color out of your carpet. Male rabbits eventually die usually from having their dick slowly burnt off by their own piss after a couple years.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Not bad, but I'm not about to jump ship from my Munchies.

Quaadv0.gif

Now THAT'S variety. Basically the entire food pyramid in that shit.

Plus, puffy Cheetos fucking suck. I'd have to pick them out.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
off to the store!
I don't understand the shapes. Why does it need to look like Kibble?

so you can cherry pick from a bowl without having to move your dead gaze from the television while you shove your fuckin mouth with cheetos.

they should use this line for the advertising.

OnPoint

Quaadv0.gif

The pretzels always seem astronomically higher in number and ruin the experience for me.

Bread

Banned

Quaadv0.gif

fuckin pretzels make this a waste of money

neobiz

Quaadv0.gif

My man.

They even have the 'flamin' hot' kind.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
so you can cherry pick from a bowl without having to move your dead gaze from the television while you shove your fuckin mouth with cheetos.

Could also be for blind people to get by in a Cheeto based economy, though they've historically gotten by on scent.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
fuckin pretzels make this a waste of money

The pretzel hate is bullshit.

They're what balance everything out. Without them, the overall flavor would be dominated by the cheesy flavor of the doritos and cheetos. They also add a very satisfying crunch to the mix.

big_z

Bring back the Jalapeno cheetos that were being sold in canada you cocks. Oh and diet cherry Pepsi.

All the good new flavors are always limited time here. Seems like companies can't expand their product line for some reason.

Bread

Banned

They're what balance everything out. Without them, the overall flavor would be dominated by the cheesy flavor of the doritos and cheetos. They also add a very satisfying crunch to the mix.
there doesn't need to be a balance. it's called a cheese fix, i want cheese and i want it now dammit. everything in there is crunchy, the pretzels are a filler added from their thousands of unsold bags that would be wasted.

fuck pretzels and all that they stand for.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
there doesn't need to be a balance. it's called a cheese fix, i want cheese and i want it now dammit. everything in there is crunchy, the pretzels are a filler added from their thousands of unsold bags that would be wasted.

fuck pretzels and all that they stand for.

Sounds like you want all cheese everything with no nuance or variety. Munchies are not meant for you. You are entitled to that opinion, but stop trying to ruin them for those of us who are capable of appreciating them for what they are.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Sounds like you want all cheese everything with no nuance or variety. Munchies are not meant for you. You are entitled to that opinion, but stop trying to ruin them for those of us who are capable of appreciating them for what they are.

No, pretzels are great on their own but ruin other snacks. Worst part of Chex Mix and Gardetto's? Easily the pretzels. (Best part is the rye chips, hands down.)

big_z

Pretzels are fine but there's more of them than any other chip in the bag due to being the cheapest to make. If the ratio was better I don't think people would hate the pretzel so much.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
My mouth is watering.

Even after every article, cutting out the crap from my diet, knowing what I know . . still my mouth is watering.

They're inside my head, man. Inside my head!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
No, pretzels are great on their own but ruin other snacks. Worst part of Chex Mix and Gardetto's? Easily the pretzels. (Best part is the rye chips, hands down.)

I almost took you serious, but then you said the rye chips in Gardetto's are good. The best part are the little crunchy breadsticks.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

But aren't the other bits already crunchy?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I almost took you serious, but then you said the rye chips in Gardetto's are good. The best part are the little crunchy breadsticks.

Nope, if the rye chip only variant wasn't so expensive, I'd get it more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom