• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times Letter of Recommendation: Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/21/m...heddar-and-sour-cream-ruffles.html?ref=dining
Stewart’s is no foodie emporium — this one kept the chips on a wire carousel between a basket of shrink-wrapped peanut-butter-and-butter-on-a-hard-roll sandwiches and a crockpot labeled Chicken Wing Soup. So when Trish handed me the Ruffles, she intended it as a mildly ironic token of affection. But here’s what happened: The sensory experience of the Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles so diverged from my mental narrative about what I was eating — what was I eating? — that it short-circuited my discursive thinking and emptied my mind. Everything I believed about eating was left in disarray.

About that sensory experience: Technically speaking, Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles are flawless. The chips are pleasingly thick, but not excessively so. Through superior engineering, they eliminate the two most common drawbacks of packaged potato chips, namely greasiness and staleness. And while they don’t taste strongly of potatoes, they have a flavor that food scientists refer to as high-amplitude, meaning that every note is knitted together to produce a distinctive bloom, like Hellmann’s mayonnaise or Coke or a decently aged Barolo.

These chips also excel at what brewers call sessionability — the degree to which a substance incites you to consume more of it. Consider Nacho Cheese Doritos, another Frito-Lay staple: The first few bites are blindingly flavorful, but a half-dozen chips later I begin to feel like I’m chewing on cheesy insulation. Worse yet, for me this sensation comes on suddenly, curdling into a sickening sense of shame. By comparison, Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles tolerate and even encourage overindulgence, and they bring on the feeling of satiety gradually, without undue alarm, in the manner of actual food.

Of course, what you might call the Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles origin story is a lot less winsome. When I tried to delve into how they are made, a series of emails from a Frito-Lay spokesman made it clear that little about the process resembles food preparation as most of us know it. And little about it can be pinned down. Not the potatoes (“made from high-quality, thin-skinned potatoes”), not the cooking oil (“we may use canola oil, corn oil, sunflower oil or a blend”), not even a place of origin (“produced in Frito-Lay facilities across the country”).

But to enjoy Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles is to revel in the human-made, in the old Enlightenment project of our scientific conquest of nature. The marketing of so-called artisanal foods has traditionally prioritized narrative; the stories of our food have become so paramount that fussing about flavor is coming to seem almost gauche. Ruffles, by contrast, invite a purely aesthetic appreciation. The “Cheddar” and “potato” on the bag are mere starting points. The chips’ magnificently artificial flavoring is not a simulacrum of nature but an improvement on it, as fantastical and engineered as an unmanned satellite. They are perfect, fully realized objects, requiring no context or elucidation. They promise nothing except sensory gratification, and I like that about them. They embody what William Carlos Williams wrote that poems should aspire to — “no ideas but in things.”

Agree or disagree? (more at link)

I had some for lunch and I agree completely that these might be one of mankind's greatest invention

Haruko

We get one of those variety bags of individual chip packages for my work office.

One of them includes the Baked version of these Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles chips, but only 3 of that variety is present in the overall bag.

Those 3 are always the first to be taken. I love 'em.

These are the best potato chips:

103416-1_grande.jpeg

Leunam

Seaweed chips have been my latest addiction but I think I should try these. In the past, cheddar was way too powerful a flavor for the humble chip vessel but this could be a turning point.

I agree these are the best national potato chips.

You know you are at a white people cookout when people bring Ruffles or Lays though. Local chips FTW.

I cannot agree more. They are some of the best potato chips around. They put all other Cheddar and Sour Cream chips I've had to shame.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I got a bag of the baked version out of the vending machine at work this morning. They're awesome. I found/find the regular ones too greasy (this is an issue I have with Ruffles in general, Wavy Lays are the superior ruffled Frito Lay chip), but the baked ones are just perfect. They're dangerous, though. It's so easy to absolutely demolish a bag of them.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry, what was that? Did you mean to type jalapeno kettle chips?

512NOQq85nL.SX386_SY500_CR,0,0,386,500_PIbundle-64,TopRight,0,0_SX386_SY500_CR,0,0,386,500_SH20_.jpg

I think you did.

Oh, what was that again? You forgot to include salt and pepper? That is no mistake.

lays-kettle-cooked-sea-salt-and-cracked-pepper-potato-chips-8-5-oz_1414429.jpeg

That's okay. But wait, YOU FORGOT THESE AS WELL?

kettle-cheddar-horseradish.jpg

Vadernoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Pork rinds > any potato chip

I would love if someone did these sorts of flavorings for them, though. When I ate potato chips, these were pretty good, though I liked the Loaded Potato ones more.

platocplx

These are literally the only chips i eat.

bYkXFHP.png

also their carolina BBQ ones are great.

Im PISSED they got rid of a sweet and salty chip it was amazing.

I'm not a huge chip dude, but C&SC ruffles are alright by me. My definitive winner though...

prod_img-1380142_favourites_original.png

Simple. Timeless. Infinitely edible. It doesn't matter if the tube is six inches deep or sixty - it will be gone in a single, shameful sitting.

Runners up -
Chilli Cheese Fritos
BBQ Ruffles
KC Masterpeice Lays

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This guy desperately needs a bag of Grippos I feel bad for people that have never been able to try them since they are regional.

Mp7jzQ6.jpg

That said Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles is a solid choice since they are available all over.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Enough peddling of your pathetic wares in these contrarian image replies, GAF. All bow to the cheddar and sour cream ruffles, or else despair.

This guy desperately needs a bag of Grippos I feel bad for people that have never been able to try them since they are regional.

Mp7jzQ6.jpg

I made an award-winning BBQ rub from a recipe once and it tasted exactly like Grippos when I was done.

Try crumbling Grippos into a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a huge chip dude, but C&SC ruffles are alright by me. My definitive winner though...

prod_img-1380142_favourites_original.png

Simple. Timeless. Infinitely edible. It doesn't matter if the tube is six inches deep or sixty - it will be gone in a single, shameful sitting.

Runners up -
Chilli Cheese Fritos
BBQ Ruffles
KC Masterpeice Lays

Pringles?

Hey, I have a lot of cardboard in my house that I need to throw out. You sure you wouldn't want to eat them instead?

Dishwalla

Banned
Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles own, they were a godsend whenever we got a shipment of them on deployment.

Definitely going to go buy some now.
Pringles?

Hey, I have a lot of cardboard in my house that I need to throw out. You sure you wouldn't want to eat them instead?
lol wtf, Pringles are great snack food stuffs dude. The BBQ ones are amazing.

I'm sorry, what was that? Did you mean to type jalapeno kettle chips?

512NOQq85nL.SX386_SY500_CR,0,0,386,500_PIbundle-64,TopRight,0,0_SX386_SY500_CR,0,0,386,500_SH20_.jpg

I think you did.

Oh, what was that again? You forgot to include salt and pepper? That is no mistake.

lays-kettle-cooked-sea-salt-and-cracked-pepper-potato-chips-8-5-oz_1414429.jpeg

That's okay. But wait, YOU FORGOT THESE AS WELL?

kettle-cheddar-horseradish.jpg

Vadernoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Kettle cooked chips are the worse. They are literally flavored chunks of cardboard.

Every time I think about them I think of this joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI4AC50n6cU

lol I didn't know salt and vinegar was a white people thing but now that I think about it it kinda makes sense.

Mp7jzQ6.jpg

That said Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles is a solid choice since they are available all over.

Man, I haven't had Grippos since I left Cincy. I really want a bag now.

Cheddar and Sour Cream Ruffles own, they were a godsend whenever we got a shipment of them on deployment.

Definitely going to go buy some now.

lol wtf, Pringles are great snack food stuffs dude. The BBQ ones are amazing.

Pringles are an acceptable snack to take on a flight. Use under any other circumstances should be avoided.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I made an award-winning BBQ rub from a recipe once and it tasted exactly like Grippos when I was done.

Try crumbling Grippos into a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich.

They actually make a Grippos seasoning powder now. Yes, it's glorious.
vrKBvm6.jpg

vikki

My kids like these chips. I think they are disgusting. The flavors do not work well together in chip form.

OP, I think you just like 'em because the bag is orange and blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom