• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software Acquires Tenchu (Bye-Bye Activision)

[7/6/2004 3:02:17 PM ET]
Japan-based From Software, Inc. has acquired from Activision, Inc. the rights to the stealthy ninja franchise, Tenchu.
Although Activision retains the rights to the already released Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven (PS2) and Tenchu: Return from Darkness (Xbox), From now controls the future of the franchise.
The next game in the series, Tenchu Kurenai, is slated for release on the PlayStation 2 in Japan on July 22. No North American release has been planned yet, but if From does eventually ship the game stateside, Activision apparently will still be involved with publishing the title.

Mooreberg

So does this mean a change in development team? I think FROM already published the series in Japan since Sony Music JPN sold off the rights.

eite - late by seconds o_o

This thread raises my blood pressure.

Fun fact: From Software has been making great software long before the Xbox was a bad idea in the collective heads of the Microsoft camp.

These Johnny Come-Lately fans need to take a trip to the soon to be newly remodeled Auscwitz for "re-education". >:|

The Take Out Bandit said:
This thread raises my blood pressure.

Fun fact: From Software has been making great software long before the Xbox was a bad idea in the collective heads of the Microsoft camp.

These Johnny Come-Lately fans need to take a trip to the soon to be newly remodeled Auscwitz for "re-education". >:|

i wouldnt call armored core great software :p

ZombieSupaStar said:

Yes, but I would call you a twat. ^_^

Armored Core was a great series. It's just a shame From Software continues to overlook the dawn of on-line gaming. Armored Core is a fabulous competitive console game. With an amazing amount of customization, and an incredibly variety of ways to play the game against other players.

If you've never played linked AC against other skilled players, you're not qualified to comment.

Again, it's a damn shame From Software refuses to take it to the next level. On-line play could really put AC on the gaming map. :(

Drek

ZombieSupaStar said:
I would. It was the only great mech game on consoles for years, and still beats the pants off of every other console mech game that doesn't require a $150 controller.

Again, it's a damn shame From Software refuses to take it to the next level. On-line play could really put AC on the gaming map
It's been online playable for the last three iterations or so in Japan, its just never been included in the U.S. ports because From doesn't do their own localizations and no other company has been willing to step up and fund servers.

AC is a case where Xbox Live would be a perfect fit, I don't know why From hasn't made an Xbox version yet. :(

WarPig

Metal Wolf Chaos is an AC-style game on Live -- or at any rate what they showed at TGS was an AC-style game on Live, before the name change and all that.

I would say that From Software makes great software for a very specific audience. I recognize that some people enjoy playing games like Armored Core and King's Field, but fuck me if I can understand how they do it.

DFS.

It's been online playable for the last three iterations or so in Japan, its just never been included in the U.S. ports because From doesn't do their own localizations and no other company has been willing to step up and fund servers.

Armored Core has only employed Direct Dial play in the Japanese releases. Servers shmervers. It helps to know what you're talking about.

As a result of using direct dial play, it's gotten yanked from the US releases because of the hassle of phone bills, etc.

From Software has tossed in the towel for on-line play in AC even in Japan. AC:Nexus was released sans any form of on-line play in Japan.

AC is a case where Xbox Live would be a perfect fit, I don't know why From hasn't made an Xbox version yet.

Armored Core is their cash cow in Japan. Yeah, I'm sure they'd love to commit financial suicide by releasing an XBL AC game. :p

I'm looking forward to Squeenix and Konami stealing a bit of From Software's miniscule fanbase with Front Mission Online and Phantom Crash 2050. If they don't want to give me the on-line AC game I desire, then I'll give my money to the companies who deliver a similar product with on-line play.

WarPig said:
I would say that From Software makes great software for a very specific audience. I recognize that some people enjoy playing games like Armored Core and King's Field, but fuck me if I can understand how they do it.

That's exactly how I've felt about every Tenchu game, so it should fit nicely in their lineup.

Andy787

Banned
Goddamnit Sega, buy From Software already. Their recent games like Echo Night, Kuon, and Metal Wolf look very interesting, Otogi already rocks, and now with Tenchu and the Armored Core franchises, they would compliment you so well.

DarkCloud

Armored Core is their cash cow in Japan. Yeah, I'm sure they'd love to commit financial suicide by releasing an XBL AC game. :p

They're arleady doing so in Metal Wolf Chaos...A very AC inspired mech game with XBL functionality. Wouldn't it be less financial suicide (as you put it) to just call it Armored Core: Metal Wolf Chaos than to start from scratch with a new fanbase as they're doing.

Besides MS is most likely paying for the majority of From's Xbox development so such a move would hardly cripple them I'm sure...and you'd have your AC online.

DarkCloud

No.

No I wouldn't.

Well you'd have the potential for it...in the future which is more than you have now (Phantom Crash is no Armored Core and Front Mission is a different kind of beast though still great)

But we've had this discussion before haven't we?

Top Bottom