• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori) |OT| - Of molerats and men

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the New World 2
The tournament was rather interesting and enjoyable, but it did drag a bit too long.
It seems that the teacher was potentially manipulating the eventual results for some particular reason that is left unknown. As such, he appears be perfectly knowledgeable of all that goes on, as shown previously with Reiko’s disappearance, followed by the disappearance of Monabu
. Of course,
the Copycat is directly responsible
, but it's likely that the elders are completely aware of the mysterious consequences that befall whoever abuses the rules.

I think the Elders and based on the conversation with the mom and dad from last episode are directly responsible and in control of the situation.
It didnt seem like the Cat is a mystery to theme

Ultimadrago

From the New World 2

rotpkqfv.png

This episode starts with yet another story straight from the school books of a young man
not taking into account and action the teachings of the school. This boy too would also choose isolation from his society for the greater good because of the "wrong" they committed and punishment that followed.
It's quite a conditioning treatment from the organization. For maximum effectiveness, they have the students read the stories aloud rather than simply being told by the instructor.

The tournament section of the episode was fine. Though, I'm not fond of the heavy CG usage for the game. It simply didn't look good. The segment of the episode gave a closer look at how the peers in the school interact on a cooperative and competitive level. Additional insight into the personality of the group, such as who is willing to speak out when something undoubtedly questionable has come up (an important detail or trait given their environment).

Saki with the Queerats
is another example of her growing rebellious nature with traditional teachings.
Of course, not everyone is more-than-happy to tango with such actions. I'd believe future friction is inevitable based on these early events that will feed into the development of the characters. As far as creating that basis, From the New World has worked effectively.

Overall, while not to the same degree as the first, I had a good time with the episode. I look forward to what fresh executions this show will take with its direction to further build the world and the main cast.

Final note: Great ED.

Branduil

From the New World 2

That opening scene was pretty nuts. I guess it's not a surprising result of psychics existing, but it's certainly not a pleasant circumstance to ponder.

ibzu8uYXKcvXTa.jpg
ibpFFGdVood6oe.jpg

iVzulqZHAszLW.jpg
ibrGBRYzyH3SAs.jpg

A-1 Pictures is really going all-out with the background art for this show.

Episode two was not as good or consistent as the first episode, but there was still plenty of intrigue. I'd say that main thing dragging the episode down was the tournament, which I wouldn't call bad, but certainly not as good as the rest of the show. The game itself felt rather confusing to watch, as the viewers' unfamiliarity with the game makes things seem to happen randomly. They tried their best to explain the rules, but I'm just not sure it's possible to explain psychic ball-rolling games from the distant future in a couple of minutes. I was also unsure as to why the kids needed to run around to use their psychic powers; I guess to make the scenes more visually interesting, since the CGI game pieces certainly weren't.

I suppose this makes it sound like I didn't like the episode, which isn't true. I just felt it necessary to explain why I felt like those scenes were weaker, because the show does so much right most of the time. Even then, the tournament was still interesting by virtue of what it revealed about the school and the children.

The sense of unease and distrust of adults continues to be a theme in this episode. Particularly striking was the scene where Saki discusses school life with her mother. The slow, overlapping cut to the teacher stamping the
rule-breaking student's name
was a very effectively juxtaposed with her mother's claim that they "just studied."

Finally, I see that Franz Bonaparta remains a popular children's book author in the distant future.

Jex

[From The New World] - 2

While this weeks episode of FTNW isn't quite as impressive as the opening one it quashes any doubt in my mind that the show won't be able to maintain a fairly high standard in terms of both the production and the writing. I find the pacing to be deliberate and controlled, some people appear to have found that slowness a little frustrating but if you rush headlong into things you don't get the chance to build up to something in a satisfying manner. Based on what we've seen so far I am confident that the show is clearly building up towards something important.

A good chunk of this episode is devoted to a tournament between various groups in Saki's class. I can understand why some of you have felt that they spent too long on this rather minor activity but I disagree. This tournament was important for all the children in class to an extent where losing at the those who lost literally broke into tears. I think this whole event speaks volumes about the kind of school that these children are participating in and, presumably, the kind of society that they live in.

As we saw last week, there's a clear focus on training team skills among the school children. I mentioned last week how I think this is pretty clearly supposed to be preparing them for some kind of combat and this Ball Rolling Tournament which much closer to that. Previously they'd been using their Cantus to compete against other groups in a rather remote manner - such as performing a set task faster then another group. This time is different - the teams square off against each other directly in a battle to see who can use their Cantus more effectively. More over they're learning how to plan ahead, defend, attack and so forth. My one real problem with this scene was the rather thumping soundtrack that felt rather out place when compared to the rest of the music in the show. It really brought me out of the moment and ruined the tension that had built up. Anyway, if for some reason all this stuff isn't obvious they even through in this shot where the beams make it look like everyone's in a prison. The symbolism isn't exactly subtle:

SSYep26.jpg

Some of the stuff that I mentioned last week reappeared in this episode. We were treated to another 'history lesson' that's clearly a disguised tale about sacrificing yourself for the group. Once again someone performs in a way that's unsatisfactory to the school and they're immediately removed from the picture. Last week the girl simply wasn't good enough to continue, which doesn't really seem fair, where as this week someone clearly broke the rules. As we've seen, rule breakers aren't to be tolerated. What I find interesting is that, during the competition the teacher said that it was an accident but clearly he knew that it wasn't. No-one's actually punished directly or overtly inside the system, which makes it all the more menacing and ominous. Saki, of course, is the only one who wants to question the rules and go against what she's been told.

SSYep25.jpg

The most interesting scene, besides the Queerats sequence, is the brief interlude between Saki and her father. His discussion of 'rebelling in secret' seems to have a number of possible meanings: is it idle chatter? Are the Queerats actively rebelling? Or, more interestingly, is he actually rebelling against the system in some secret manner? There's not enough information for us to know, but I feel that the letter he's writing and sealing away has to be pretty important. If you take a closer look at the way he seals the envelope:

SSYep24.jpg

Does this appear familiar to you? It should, because it's the same crest we see in the opening sequence that details the coronation of the Emperor of Delight. See here:

SSYep21.jpg

Is it some kind of royal insignia or crest? The camera only lingers on it for a moment but it has to be important.

The rest of my thoughts on this episode are rather scattered. They manage to do a fine job of retaining an undercurrent of tension even during everyday activities. Saki can't even do a little gardening with her mother without encountering it:

SSYep23.jpg

Also, I think they're going a little crazy with some of the filters during the 'history lessons'. Sometimes it looks fine, other times it's a bit much.

Oh yeah, I guess the ED is pretty:

ssyed.gif

Cwarrior

Cross post ehh am here to show my support sort of watever jexhius asked me to do it, hey at least am bumping the thread.

From The New World ep1
I found the substance in the episode to be very boring outside the last five second of the folk tale and the cat shadow bit(only thing that seemed out of the ordinary) , I didn't like how the mystery was handled as it was made up mostly of people dodging questions and beating around the bush in uninteresting conversations.

I didn't care for what happened to any of the characters as I wasn't invested in any of them(
so I didn't care what happened to the random girl in the end
) as matter fact I didn't like any of them as none of them seem interesting or stood out to me, it also didn't help they all had the same faces and looked the same with only minor differences.

I did find it better then most of the animes to come out in the last year thanks to the eerie music & having a mystery aspect to it(soft spot for that) but that's still quite some ways off for me to categorize this as being good.

-character designs are bad(it's generic and everyone has the same faces)
-story isn't interesting yet

Branduil

One thing I liked in From the New World that I haven't talked about yet is the digital filter effect they used in this shot:

It feels like the entire image is being distorted, melted or destroyed and sent into a state of chaos, which fits because
we know from the rest of the episode that these children's actions
lead to the destruction and dissolution of civilization as we know it. In addition, the effect has a sort of wave-like structure, such that it gives the impression of a psychic attack, as if the camera is being directly assaulted. It's a powerful visual cap to the entire sequence.

Also, the word "dissolve" can be taken to mean melting or breaking something up, like what this digital effect seems to be doing to the image. But dissolve is also a filmmaking term referring to a gradual transition from one image to another. So you could consider this effect a sort of visual pun, lol.

Snakeyes

Oh man, I really can't wait for the next episode. You guys have already covered everything the show does right.

Wonder how they'll handle the later stuff in the series because the manga gets a bit steamy, to say the least.

Mature

Just got around to the second episode. Didn't think I was going to like it nearly as much as a I did. Really excited for more.

Branduil

From the New World 3

So much striking and memorable imagery in this episode. Some of the best starry skies I've seen in an anime, I can say that much.

The weirdness boiling under the familiar continues to percolate in this episode, culminating in a dramatic and surprising turn of events.
The kids have unwittingly caught a biological library.
It's safe to say they will soon learn of that which they shouldn't. It was rather amusing how quickly the kids
harnessed those giant crabs
and somewhat disturbing how calmly Saki
threatened to pull all of the spines off of an obviously intelligent being.

The direction, writing, and animation in this series has just been incredibly sharp and focused so far. Every scene contributes to the overall story, and Ishihama understands the power and primacy of visuals in communicating characterization and themes.

Also, dat opening sequence-

ibmbKdexB9KFrw.gif

Mature

Shin Sekai Yori 3
I wrote out impressions for this, but I decided to delete it and just say I'm continually impressed at how this story isn't slowing down with the way they are handling it. Looking forward to more, as usual.

Ep 3

Great camping trip with lots of good Satoru, and even Shun moments. (Music during a montage is probably one of the best songs in this anime) Cast chemistry is really well done. Specifically teamwork based magicks has many great applications in just this trip that I liked especially all involved in catching stuff (and how they focus on their eyes when they do it).

The evil minoshiro plot is interesting and really liked that scene, just Saki's confidence in challenging it. Cant wait for revelations next episode I guess. To think that there is still technology left in this world, thousand years later. Just to what extent is this Education Board hiding and shielding from the normal peoples

duckroll

Episode 3

The show continues to be strong, and I'm really digging the totally different art styles they use for the prologue sequences showing the past history. This week had awesome ninja action and kickass Arasan explosions. As for the episode itself, the tone for the most of it felt really different from the usual mood, and both the colors and the music felt more leisurely which was a nice change. Nothing really "happened" in the episode until the end though, so the pace remains rather slow. Hopefully it starts to pick up soon, because I think I've almost had enough of world building at this point. I feel the state of the world and the daily life experience of the characters have been presented in enough detail, and it's time for things to start happening at this point. The climax of the episode does indicate that they're ready to move into that narrative phase though, so hopefully it's not a fake-out.

From the New World 3

This was another terrific episode. The story continues to be exceptionally well-told, rarely faltering in it's masterful execution. Though slow at times, I find it quite deliberate in it's methodical pacing, which allows for a thorough immersion into the gradual development of the world and the characters that inhabit it.

The opening sequence was fantastic, as,
five hundred and seventy years following the initial outbreak of magical abilities, three assassins lay siege to the temple, and, eventually, after suffusing their surroundings in a fiery glow, the final assassin murders the Emperor of Delight, and, as was noted by the assassin, this brutally momentous action likely altered history in a significant fashion
. Though these opening sequences are usually visually impressive, this one was particularly so, as the artistic style, by way of some beautifully contrasting colors, excellently portrayed each significant flourish. Since they effectively illuminate the unknown evolution of the original world into this veiled, tautly structured society, these sequences remain incredibly effective in establishing a certain atmosphere that permeates the entire episode, casting a particularly ominous air over the following developments.

The story, though more serene in tone throughout the episode, remains extensively thought-provoking and intriguing. Following an important scene from the previous episode that involved Saki's disobedient action of using her Cantus to free a queerat, they've already chosen to rebel once again by
abandoning their planned route and rowing to a destination that wasn't permitted
. The starlit scene in which
Shun touched Saki's hand was a pretty good moment, as their small, but nice interactions are quite compelling, since, up to this point, their burgeoning relationship signifies the sole presence of any discernible emotions of a romantic inclination

There is one particular, seemingly insignificant scene I thought worth mentioning, since it could prove to be a brief moment of foreshadowing. Upon first
encountering the minoshiro, they all become temporarily hypnotized, save for Saki, since she was somehow protected by the glasses she wore
. This could potentially be an omen of significance, denoting
Saki as the sole survivor of the coming events
. Their encounter with the
minoshiro
was a great scene, as, eventually,
having been captured and tamed, the minoshiro spoke, indicating that it was a biological library containing historical knowledge
. I'm rather excited for the increased unraveling of the narrative that very possibly awaits following the cliffhanger of sorts that concluded the episode. There also appeared to be a vague connection between the story that ominously illustrated the fate of those who come upon an
evil minoshiro
and their actual
encounter with one
, thus acknowledging that, if they
manage to reveal the secrets closed within, they could be similarly "disposed" of

The characters are exceedingly interesting, particularly Saki, as her complexities were most noticeable when she
coldly threatened to seriously injure the minoshiro
. The character interactions remain quite engaging, and it will be interesting to see how suddenly they transition in nature once their relatively peaceful existence is shattered. Their innocent, relaxed activities belie the unsettling nature of their world; a disquieting dichotomy that will inevitably come into play. As such, the developments within the next episode could provide an
irreversible loss of innocence and an unexpected maturation into adulthood

The production values have been one of the strongest elements of the show so far. The direction is extremely consistent in it's high quality, particularly in how confidently it manages to evoke directly contrasting emotions in moments that might otherwise appear lighthearted and relatively meaningless. It handles the complex pacing really well, while also balancing every episode with a tightly focused, distinctly subtle approach. Hardly any shot is wasted or left for mere insignificance.

This episode was visually amazing, highlighted especially in the opening, but also displayed quite wonderfully throughout the dazzling starlit sequence. As always, there were a plethora of stunning scenic shots. The writing is terrific, particularly in how deftly it handles the nuances of Saki's complex characterization. Musically, I felt this episode was more consistent than the last, since it was devoid of any particularly jarring selections, such as was evident in last episode's tournament. My absolute favorite piece is the one used in each opening, as it sets the tone for these haunting preludes brilliantly.

All in all, From the New World continues to excel with it's haunting depiction of a decayed, desolate society and the precocious naivety of the children who now seem
lost in it's mysterious, unprotected edges
. I'm really looking forward to the next episode, as it suggests they'll finally
discover the truth surrounding the blood-stained nature of their world
. Also, judging by the preview,
it seems that they'll be made aware that fiends, beings that bring the potential for the destruction of their controlled society, may emerge once again
. It's possible that these
"fiends"
could, in fact, refer to any or all of the main characters. This is easily the best, most impressive show of the season.

Ultimadrago

From the New World 3

I just loved this week's opener. Ninjas done right.

It was a stretch of rowing with a campfire in-between, but I liked it! The visuals and music definitely didn't hurt either. The
story around the campfire[/spoiler[ is used as a means to build a bestiary for the audience and the group. They share information they've heard through story, like any good youthful campfire. Also as with any communication alike to this, there are those leaving while believing and those who think it's all empty talk.

This story is definitely taking its time. I'm surprised I am as fine with the banter within the group as I am. In the same boat, I'm prepared for what build-up the story has to show next. Here's hoping it will stride with strength.

duckroll

So I'm wondering about the history of the world here... which I guess we'll find out more about in the next episode. So far we know that sometime in the near future children suddenly develop telekinetic powers, and start destroying a ton of shit and killing people randomly. 500 years after that, a "divine emperor" with high levels of telekinetic power rules over a part of the world, and then 70 years after that, he is assassinated by rebel ninjas when those with telekinetic powers are in decline.

It seems that the recurring theme in the historical prologues in each episode is "understanding" or the lack thereof. In the first prologue, the chaos caused by the sudden development of powers is no doubt due to those who don't understand it, and don't really know how to control what they have. Subsequently, it seems the subjects who worship the "divine emperor" do so out of fear and probably also out of awe because they don't really understand his powers. When the rebels do decide to kill him, they talk of changing history, and it seems like they view overthrowing the emperor as also overthrowing those with such powers in general. A sort of class warfare.

This leads us back to the actual story in the series. Children who develop such powers are viewed very differently 1000 years in the future. The village system seems to completely support and understand such powers and caters to their development and control. But if this is the case, and mankind has overcome the problem of the powers dividing people and destroying society, why is everything so.... seemingly backward? Why hasn't technology returned to the world?

Hopefully we find out more soon! Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Pooya

But if this is the case, and mankind has overcome the problem of the powers dividing people and destroying society, why is everything so.... seemingly backward? Why hasn't technology returned to the world?

spoiler for 3rd episode.

When the narrator is talking about a minoshiro, it is said that it must be a recent species, and then we get to see that it's actually a machine or something like that, so maybe there is technology out there, outside of this village, they never said this village is the whole world.

Mature

It seems that the recurring theme in the historical prologues in each episode is "understanding" or the lack thereof. In the first prologue, the chaos caused by the sudden development of powers is no doubt due to those who don't understand it, and don't really know how to control what they have. Subsequently, it seems the subjects who worship the "divine emperor" do so out of fear and probably also out of awe because they don't really understand his powers. When the rebels do decide to kill him, they talk of changing history, and it seems like they view overthrowing the emperor as also overthrowing those with such powers in general. A sort of class warfare.
This is an interesting point and I think it extends beyond the openings into the actual meat of the show in a big way. The result of episode 2's prologue, I believe, is someone (The 5th Emperor) monopolizing the understanding of a power that likely lays dormant in all humans and using it to grant a position of power. In the same way the 5th emperor controlled people's understanding for power, in the present time with the children, understanding of telekinetic powers is being heavily controlled through the current authority. The whole ritual of the binding and releasing of power was a prime example of that. I think it's telling that they have the children take whole classes on actually using the powers, though. It's a way of erasing a taboo and the thought of using it violently. And then, when an aberrant element is thrown into the mix (That kid cheating at the game with his powers) it's immediately snuffed out.

Now we have the exploits of these curious kids who have a hard time simply accepting what they're told. The dynamic that's so exciting is seeing how each of them react to the prospect of these limitations being a farce.

Branduil

So I'm wondering about the history of the world here... which I guess we'll find out more about in the next episode. So far we know that sometime in the near future children suddenly develop telekinetic powers, and start destroying a ton of shit and killing people randomly. 500 years after that, a "divine emperor" with high levels of telekinetic power rules over a part of the world, and then 70 years after that, he is assassinated by rebel ninjas when those with telekinetic powers are in decline.

I don't think the emperors in the second and third prologue are the same. The one in episode 2 calls himself "The Emperor of Delight" while the one in episode 3 is called "The Emperor of Merciful Light." It doesn't really change the main points though.

This leads us back to the actual story in the series. Children who develop such powers are viewed very differently 1000 years in the future. The village system seems to completely support and understand such powers and caters to their development and control. But if this is the case, and mankind has overcome the problem of the powers dividing people and destroying society, why is everything so.... seemingly backward? Why hasn't technology returned to the world?

Well, I think we can piece together what happened in the first 600 or so years fairly coherently.

1. People with psychic powers appear.
2. They destroy modern civilization and establish regressive feudal states based on emperor worship, enforced through their psychic powers.
3. The feudal state is overthrown, at least in Japan.

We still don't have any idea what happens in the 400-plus year gap between the overthrow of the Empire and Saki's village. Several big changes have obviously occurred, but we don't know why or how:

-Psychic powers are common and not limited to feudal lords.
-The world is filled with strange and bizarre creatures such as the minoshiro, the molerats, and the Akki.

It seems easy enough to assume that all of these weird animals were created with the aid of psychic powers, although we don't know why. The prevalence of psychic powers, how they propagate, etc., seems much harder to deduce. It does seem that they are weeding out all who don't have them, but that doesn't explain where the powers come from in the first place, or why they want to ensure everyone them.

I don't think the lack of technology is that weird. We can assume that after 600 years of regressive totalitarianism virtually all knowledge of modern technology was lost. It hasn't returned in the ensuing years because technological progress is dependent on innovation being valued by those with power, which is obviously not the case for yet unrevealed reasons.

BluWacky

I would desperately like to join in with your discussions and debate but unfortunately I've read too many spoilers from the novel and I really don't want to spoil anything for anyone, even if by accident. Suffice to say that I do have some answers to some of the points that have been raised thus far!

Would anyone be interested in translations of the glossary that's on the show's website? I think it adds some interesting detail that's not made totally explicit by the show, but I appreciate that not everyone wants to know this kind of additional detail, particularly as it may give away too much information.

I will comment on the one thing stood out to me that I think I can talk about without spoiling, however, as I don't know the answer:

-Psychic powers are common and not limited to feudal lords.

While psychic powers are common, they still appear to be either a recessive gene or something non-genetic (I don't know if the story will treat the powers in a scientific way or not). It seems to me that some kind of eugenics has come into play to get the world to this state, but they've not been able to completely "eradicate" what we consider to be normal human beings. In which case, what happened after the time of episode 3's prologue to enable this kind of program to take place?

Branduil

Would anyone be interested in translations of the glossary that's on the show's website? I think it adds some interesting detail that's not made totally explicit by the show, but I appreciate that not everyone wants to know this kind of additional detail, particularly as it may give away too much information.

That would be neat.

duckroll

I don't think the emperors in the second and third prologue are the same. The one in episode 2 calls himself "The Emperor of Delight" while the one in episode 3 is called "The Emperor of Merciful Light." It doesn't really change the main points though.

Oh that's an interesting detail I missed. I was thinking that it was possible the guy just lived for a really long time because of his powers, but I guess not. I wonder if the two emperors are even lords of the same region then...

BluWacky

I've started translating the New World Dictionary from the show's website - they update this every Friday with new terminology that comes up in the show. Much of it is stuff we already know from the episodes themselves, but some of it helps clarify certain plot points and just gives a little bit more background to what's going.

Please excuse any terminology translations that aren't what you're expecting, given the number of different English translations out there for the show - I've picked up some of the more common ones from people's posts but I've been trying to watch the show without subtitles. I'm not the world's fastest or by any means best translator, and it's been a long day so I'm only halfway through; I'll try and do the rest tomorrow.

Fiend (akki, literally "demon" or "devil")

A creature that may cause harm to human beings, known amongst those with the Power. The story of the Fiend has been taught repeatedly in schools for 150 years.

Homecoming (ieji)

The Japanese name for the second movement of Dvorak's New World Symphony. The children of Kamisu 66 (see below) are taught to come home when they hear this music played from a megaphone at the town hall.

Summer Camp

The biggest thing that happens at Sage Academy. Groups board canoes and paddle up the River Tone to pitch camp. The seven day programme for the trip is organised by the class's teacher so that the students are not all away at the same time. It's not just a trip for fun, but more like "field training"; each group of students has to give a presentation on a chosen theme after they return.

Kamisu 66

A town in part of what was long ago known as Ibaraki, downstream of the River Tone. Surrounded by a canal, around 3,000 people live there. It's a major intersection for naval traffic; water wheels are used to generate electricity, but this is restricted for use in powering the town hall's broadcasts. With no concept of currency in use, local society is based on mutual cooperation and volunteering.

(incidentally Kamisu is a real place)

The Board of Education

The organisation that looks after the children's education. Its power is separate from the Board of Ethics, the most powerful body in the town. It holds absolute authority over education and any related issues.

Karmic Demon (gouma)

One who, despite possessing the Power, on account of their actions becomes "something not human". Their overflowing Power is said to affect living things and the environment surrounding them.

The Power (jyuryoku)

Psychic ability that is found naturally in any human being. With it one can convert thoughts into reality; its energy is generally limitless. However, since a clear mental image is required to do this, it doesn't mean that "anyone can always do anything". The Power usually manifests itself at around 12 years old as a shukurei, a poltergeist-esque force.

(祝霊 literally means something like "celebratory ghost"; apparently the 祝 kanji has an archaic meaning related to Shinto priests, so I guess there's a holy element to the word as well. The official subtitles have this translated as "Blessing Spirit".)

Temple of Purity (Shoujou-ji)

A religious building on the banks of Lake Kasamigaura, upstream of the River Tone. Because various secret rituals are practised there, such as the teaching of the mantra which is the key to using the Power, even the townsfolk are not informed of its precise location.

Sage Academy

The school that one graduates to after leaving elementary school at Waki Academy. Besides basic studying, various different applications of the Power are practised. Here students can find out what they are best at and improve their use of the Power.

Lying Cat (nekodamashi)
dammit I really want to call it the Decepticat :(

A monster that looks like an enormous cat, rumoured by the children to exist. Children who do not graduate from elementary school are said to meet the Nekodamashi and be taken away somewhere.

Branduil

Thanks for that.

It seems obvious to me that Karma Demons are a reference to the
old emperors/original psychics

BluWacky

Before carrying on with the dictionary entries, I thought I'd mention that I came across this excellent piano cover of the ED theme, "Wareta Ringo" ("Broken Apple"), this evening. Still no news on when the full version of the song will be released (if ever).

Anyway, here's the remaining entries. I'll try and remember to update after the site does each week.

Just a reminder that there should be no spoilers here for anything that has not yet taken place in the series up to episode 3.

Monstrat (bakenezumi)

A creature thought to have evolved from naked mole rats of above average intelligence; some understand human speech, and there are even some who can speak it. Although generally reaching between 120 and 140 cm in height, there are also some taller than human children. The Monstrats revere those who possess the Power as "gods", with the result that they are completely submissive to their commands. Ordinarily, the Monstrats live in colonies known as "nests" dotted around outside the Boundary Rope, and are allowed to enter the town in order to carry out public maintenance work. Monstrats who are devoted to humans are marked with the name of their colony on their forehead.

Boundary Rope (hacchoujime, literally "mark of skill" I think)

The holy rope which separates Kamisu 66 from the rest of the world. The thick rope is affixed with paper charms and is said to defend the town from "bad things" getting in from outside. School children are taught that going beyond it is strictly forbidden.

Mantra

The words that are the key to the activation of the Power. They are officially conveyed during a ceremony at the Temple of Purity, but the words are different from person to person. It is taught that the words lose their power if revealed to others, which makes the invocation of the Power difficult.

Two-Faced

"To obey on the outside, but think differently on the inside". The Monstrats worship adults who hold the Power as "gods", but their attitude towards children without the Power seems somehow different. The adults of Kamisu 66 believe the Monstrats to be "two-faced" in character, and therefore avoid having children and Monstrats meet.

Board of Ethics

The ultimate town authority, responsible for all policies. The head of the Board's authority is said to outstrip even the town mayor's.

Moral Code

The type of law established in Kamisu 66. Basic rules are in place so that the townspeople may live safely. The most important of these is "If someone is using the Power on something, do not interfere with use of your own Power" (if someone "butts in" with their Power, space can become distorted and a pattern of interference like a rainbow will appear, which can become extremely dangerous). If these rules are broken, a suitable penalty is inflicted.

Waki Academy

What was known in the ancient world as an elementary school. One of the schools in Kamisu 66. Saki, Satoru and Shun all went there. Graduation usually happens after the shukurei that denotes the Power manifesting, before moving on to senior school at Sage Academy.

BluWacky

No spoilers in the thread. Not even a link. I'm not doing it because:

i) duckroll is my nakama *brofist*
ii) I am being super careful about revealing anything that has not been mentioned in the show yet. I even hesitated about posting the Dictionary entries because, although they fill in some gaps in the show's storytelling, some people might still see them as spoilers. I hope no-one feels that way.
ii) all the spoilers I've read are in Japanese!

We already have a slightly more lax spoiler policy than I'm used to from the anime thread in here in that we can openly talk about what's happening as the show airs.

Just to remind everyone that episode 4, "Blood-Stained History", airs tonight.

Branduil

From the New World 4

I don't think anybody is going to be complaining about a lack of plot development after this one!

This show is really just great. It has great direction, great animation, and the story is well-written and the kind of thing that really appeals to me.

One thing I thought was really well-done in this episode was the depiction of Saki's reaction to various events; you could really tell what she was thinking just from the expressions on her face and her body language. I imagine in the novel, much of that was internal monologue/description, so good job by the writers and storyboarders to capture that visually. Actually it wasn't just Saki, all of the kids had moments where you could viscerally understand their emotional state.

I can't wait to read everyone's thoughts/theories on this episode.
Looks like someone's(I forgot who said it) Brave New World comparison was spot on, just with psychic powers and weird Buddhism added.

Erigu

[Episode 4]

So that's why Saki had a band-aid on her forehead in the beginning of the first episode! Nice way to explain that one.

duckroll

Episode 4

I've given the episode some time to sink in after watching it, and I'm still not entirely sure what to think. There certainly was a lot of infodump, but done in a relatively effective way, with a lot of effort on the direction to allow the viewer to feel what the characters are feeling, rather than just absorbing the information as it is. They certainly do clear up a lot of the misconceptions with regards to the flashbacks and the history of the world, but it also introduces some rather unpleasant implications with regards to the characters and the world they inhabit.

I find it increasingly difficult to give specific critical impressions on individual episodes as this goes on, because it is extremely obvious that this series is not being planned, written, or directed as a standard serialized work. Instead it is much more about the larger whole, and the serialization format is simply something that had to be done because of the broadcast format. It's an interesting approach, but it also definitely feels like something which would benefit more from a continuous viewing rather than a weekly one.

With regards to the actual contents of this episode though, I'm now left wondering if
the rat people are a sort of natural evolution (devolution?) of the hunter tribes without PK abilities who wandered in the wild. Even though it seems obvious that the scientists are responsible for genetically altering the remnants of the warlord tribes into the villages of today, it does also seem like the scientists themselves might have met some sort of untimely end, judging from how their organic technology are now "running wild" and being identified as monsters and demons which tell "lies" to children which apparently poison their mind. It's going to be interesting to see how in-depth the show will eventually go into the various upheavals in social structure in the past 400 years or so.

What's really impressive about the show is how much emphasis they're putting into building the world and making everything feel strange and alien, but yet grounded in some sort of reality. The same goes for the overall art in the show, the characters, creatures, and environments are rather stylized and unusual enough to be clearly seen as a cartoon, but at the same time the direction and tone is extremely somber and done with such reverence that it is clear the team has a deep respect for the source material, and feel it is worthy of such treatment.

The closest sort of comparison I could make would be Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movie trilogy. Obviously it's not a content comparison, but rather the approach of adaptation. Everything about this production feels like a very high effort and deeply passionate work which is intended to do as much justice to the novels as possible. It's pretty rare to see this in anime.

Episode 4

Lots of information but then with the flashbacks and tying it in with each of the three stylish segments done before, I could kind of follow along just remembering them. Alot of it seemed to follow what most people expected.
Or maybe at least what I was thinking. Though I didnt think it would leave the worlds population so low that the 0.3% was able to ruin civilization, send it into the dark ages, and only leave PK'rs...I wanted to know about the syndrome, but was totally expecting an interrupted at that point. I was surprised they did give us so much. And the sex stuff, how did it fit into the whole thing, or at least everyone there ignored it...will be curious if they do both same and not same...

Seeing the crews reaction to everything even got me into the spirit of the episode and all afraid, in suspense, and curious, especially Satoru and Shun.
I hope their Cantus is unsealed soon, though it totally feels as if the dude will either be forced to unseal it so they can lend a hand against the Blow dog...or that he will just end up dying from too much Death Feedback.

I find it increasingly difficult to give specific critical impressions on individual episodes as this goes on, because it is extremely obvious that this series is not being planned, written, or directed as a standard serialized work. Instead it is much more about the larger whole, and the serialization format is simply something that had to be done because of the broadcast format. It's an interesting approach, but it also definitely feels like something which would benefit more from a continuous viewing rather than a weekly one.

Funny, I was just telling someone about the show and how I might drop it and wait till it's finished because I felt this exact way about it.

From the New World 4

Damn, that was a fantastic, riveting episode, as it was suffused with a plethora of significant developments that partially illuminated the complexities surrounding the darkly mysterious nature of the world. Despite expository dialogue permeating the episode, the excellent pacing never faltered, which is a testament to how brilliantly the writing and direction complement the fluidity of the story.

This episode revealed an extensive amount of insight into the blood-stained evolution of their world, most notably through the weaving of the historical preludes that have opened each episode into a layered, interconnected tapestry. The manner in which
Boy A
's actions were illustrated evoked a highly unsettling atmosphere, since we're provided momentary glimpses of the carnage borne from his harrowing brutality, as
nineteen were raped and seventeen were murdered
. Essentially, these actions propelled the societal descent into chaos and an eventual decay. It was rather interesting, though not entirely unexpected, to notice how astonished they were upon learning that
humans are actually capable of murder
. One of the most intriguing scenes was when the suppressed memory of
Saki severely desiring to kill the old Priest
was unveiled, in which she had temporarily
suffered through the "death feedback"

The most compelling moment, I feel, involved the
minoshiro
bursting into flames, consequently illuminating the image of
a woman holding a baby
. Given the visually momentous nature of the framing within that scene, it could potentially foreshadow an
adult Saki holding her child
. Another interesting shot was Saki's anguished expression that accompanied the seemingly painful moment in which her
Cantus was pierced
by the
monk
, thus creating a distinct parallel to the moment the same occurred in the first episode. The minoshiro also revealed that
Fiends
suffer from
"Fox in the Henhouse"
syndrome, while
Karma Demons
suffer from
Hashimoto Appelbaum
syndrome. Once again, the terminology remains somewhat indistinct, yet there's a certain level of understanding toward what these allude to. However, it remains unclear whether these afflictions reside in any of the main characters, though it seems quite possible, given the ominous
declaration at the end of episode two
, which might infer that
Maria
could very well be a
Fiend
or
Karma Demon
herself.

I especially liked the moment when, as they're unraveling the morbid history of their world, Saki's eyes close immediately following an image of a murderer's eyes opening, effectively depicting the contrasting sensibilities between one that relishes his awakened savagery and one that is repulsed by it. I loved the illusory touch of distorting the minoshiro's voice as, while discovering the truth surrounding the plethora of
disturbingly cruel Emperors
, Saki becomes increasingly unwilling to listen, tormented by this unforeseen depravity. My favorite sequence though, by far, was when the
monk slaughtered the group of evolved, hostile queerats
, which was particularly beautiful due to their
hidden form revealing itself as something that appeared to be a human crying out
, which potentially implies that the
queerats are descended from those who previously existed as part of the hunter tribes
. This could also intimate that the
Elders are somehow using suggestive telepathy to conceal their true manifestations

Their moments of reluctant curiosity were illuminated very effectively, such as their pained trepidation at what might await upon wholly discovering
which segment of civilization their ancestors came from
. As such, the identity of their
ancestors
was divulged as the
scientists
, which, at first, they were relieved to hear, but were then
mortified once more as the dark truth that surrounded their actions was revealed
, effectively indicating that human nature inevitably predetermines an animalistic proclivity. Following the
fall of the various empires, the scientists sought to deconstruct and control humanity's psychic abilities

It was quite interesting to learn that the
scientists
temporarily examined the
bonobos
as a means to
induce
a peaceful, compliant nature among the
humans
. Through this, they began using
sex
to allay the threat of violence being awoken, which, I can only assume, will likely play a considerable part as the story progresses. Despite this, whatever
sex they'll eventually engage in
seems likely to be wholly devoid of emotion, used solely as a means to an end. Following their failure to produce flawless results, the
scientists conjured the idea to restrain violence by altering their genetic makeup
, filtering in a
"death feedback"
, a form of manipulation that
prevents murder among those who possess Cantus by inducing partial organ failure
. All of this tightly structured control eventually led to the
"removal" of children who were potentially dangerous
, which becomes even more unsettling, since it's known that
humans are entirely incapable of killing other humans

The character development was quite significant as well, since the events of this episode essentially signified an
irrevocable loss of innocence
. The future for them is rather unknown in regards to the
psychological effects and implications from their newly acquired knowledge
, but it's possible that some could construct a facade of relatively deadened emotions. Saki is a terrific character, due to her wonderfully complex characterization. There's a subtle dichotomy between her innocent exterior and the restricted emotions of a seemingly violent persuasion that lie dormant within, particularly displayed in several instances throughout the episode, such as the
suppressed memory of her having desired to kill the aged priest
. Saki also displays a heightened level of acute perception, as she's the only one who realizes
Rijin
as the true enemy.

The production values remain remarkably impressive. The direction, in particular, is excellent, especially in the nuanced framing of certain shots, which was especially noticeable in one of the final scenes, as the
clouded apparition briefly, but strikingly appears in the midst of the dust that surrounds the queerats' dying bodies
. The music was consistently superb throughout, thankfully lacking the jarring quality that was present in the past episode or so. I especially loved the suitably beautiful, amazingly atmospheric musical selection that accompanied the scene in which
Rijin kills the queerats
. The sound mix was really good as well; the complete isolation of Saki's voice as she tentatively asks,
"what did he do"
, was exceptionally well done. The animation is able to brilliantly capture their specific emotions through detailed facial expressions and an impressive use of quick edits. This allows for a necessarily convincing portrayal of their emotional fragility. Above all, the writing is, up to this point, extremely strong. The manner in which the story has been carefully, meticulously told is extremely refreshing.

All in all, From the New World continues to excel with it's thoroughly interesting narrative, writing, and direction. What's most intriguing is the vague, unpredictable nature surrounding which path the story will take from here. I'm very excited for the next episode, and, judging by the preview, I'm looking forward to seeing how exactly
they'll manage to survive without the ability to wield their temporarily sealed Cantus
, and I'm assuming they'll be
stranded in the forest
for quite some time.

Snakeyes

Well, that was a pretty crazy episode.

Didn't see the
genetic engineering
stuff coming.
Seems like the rats are mutated humans based on the priest's condition after their confrontation. Maybe some of the problem children are turned into them?
I wonder if
the sealing ritual isn't just some kind of induced placebo effect. I mean, wouldn't it just be easier to seal everyone's power away?
Also, wasn't
the envelope sealed by Saki's dad in Episode 2 bear the same crest used in the Sakura empire? That coupled with his dialogue makes it seem like there could be some kind of uprising planned behind the scenes.

duckroll

Well, that was a pretty crazy episode.

Didn't see the
genetic engineering
stuff coming.
Seems like the rats are mutated humans based on the priest's condition after their confrontation. Maybe some of the problem children are turned into them?
I wonder if
the sealing ritual isn't just some kind of induced placebo effect. I mean, wouldn't it just be easier to seal everyone's power away?
Also, wasn't
the envelope sealed by Saki's dad in Episode 2 bear the same crest used in the Sakura empire? That coupled with his dialogue makes it seem like there could be some kind of uprising planned behind the scenes.

I feel that the sealing ritual is definitely a psychological thing. As was discussed after ep1, it appears that the spiritual and religious explanations for the telekinetic powers are simply a form of conditioning impressed upon young children to make them think of their powers in a way which is easier to teach and indoctrinate their usage. The sealing seems more about crushing their confidence rather than actually having any scientific impact. It's pretty creepy in context, but a rather cool story element.

Jex

Personally I'm wondering why
the priest made a sexy tornado lady.

I think
that well have just been Saki's impression of the events rather than what literally happened. Or, alternatively, it's something to do with how Cantus works.

Branduil

Episode 4

I've given the episode some time to sink in after watching it, and I'm still not entirely sure what to think. There certainly was a lot of infodump, but done in a relatively effective way, with a lot of effort on the direction to allow the viewer to feel what the characters are feeling, rather than just absorbing the information as it is. They certainly do clear up a lot of the misconceptions with regards to the flashbacks and the history of the world, but it also introduces some rather unpleasant implications with regards to the characters and the world they inhabit.

It's true that it was an infodump, but I think one thing that was interesting was that it was an infodump that made sense. I mean it was literally a walking infodump factory, and it was conveying information to people who actually didn't know it. It's different from when characters exchange information that they both already know, which comes off as forced and artificial. Also, watching it again, a lot of the information is dumped so fast that it's actually overwhelming, but I think that's part of the point, because the characters are overwhelmed as well.

duckroll

There's one thing I'm a little confused by in ep4:
What exactly was that flashback Saki had while the library was talking about death feedback? I think it was supposed to have happened in ep1 before the sealing ceremony, but I don't really understand what was actually happening. Was she using PK to stab a knife into the elder's leg or something? Why? It was really weird!

Branduil

What exactly was that flashback Saki had while the library was talking about death feedback? I think it was supposed to have happened in ep1 before the sealing ceremony, but I don't really understand what was actually happening. Was she using PK to stab a knife into the elder's leg or something? Why? It was really weird!

My impression:

I'm pretty sure she wasn't doing anything. The elder was stabbing himself, but he wanted Saki to think she was unconsciously doing it, that's why he said "Can't you see you're torturing me? Please don't kill me!" Even though she wasn't doing anything, he misled her into thinking she was using her PK, and thus triggered the death feedback.

Basically, he ran a systems diagnostic to make sure her programming was working as intended, LOL.

Erigu

What exactly was that flashback Saki had while the library was talking about death feedback? I think it was supposed to have happened in ep1 before the sealing ceremony
Yeah, like I said above,
that would explain why Saki suddenly had a band-aid on her forehead during the ceremony.

but I don't really understand what was actually happening. Was she using PK to stab a knife into the elder's leg or something? Why? It was really weird!
I'm not entirely sure as to what happened either. I first thought that the guy was faking it (basically testing her death feedback as well as ingraining the idea that her power is "impure" at that point), but the other kids didn't seem to react like she did at that reveal, so maybe that only happened with her (although I guess the show might have focused on her in that scene simply because she's the main character)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom