• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
The old ascii Star Trek game :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_(text_game)
Star_Trek_text_game.png

All the versions:
http://www.dunnington.u-net.com/public/startrek/

FTL also reminds me of Star Voyager (NES):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIDptAvzOrk

Ferrio

Banned
Bought this last night, didn't think I'd play much... I was wrong.

I'm halfway through the sector selection thing with the default kessel, will it end when I make it to the last sector or is there more?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

I'm halfway through the sector selection thing with the default kessel, will it end when I make it to the last sector or is there more?

I am warning people everywhere not to play this game if they arent ready to lose countless hours to it. But is anyone listening? Nooo, of course not! (And the game deserves it)

And there is more
because you wont be able to beat the last sector on your first try, and need to try again and again and again and again.. :p Its the "last" sector ingame, but the replay value comes from trying other playstyles later and trying to beat the last sector for the first few hours.

Beta patch fix: Federation Ship will properly unlock on victory (and will unlock retroactively for those that experienced this bug)

Nice to hear for the guy who had problems with the unlock.

I tried running it on an early intel imac and got about 4-5 fps... even the mouse cursor only updated its position a few times per second, and everything ran in ultra-slow motion.

I've had this issue a couple of times, and I've also had it make the fans in the Mac go crazy. Maybe it just isn't optimized for Macs? I dunno. maybe the beta patch will work, assuming I can download it since the password "betapatch" isn't working for me yet.

My problem seemed to have something to with Steam on Mac, it would crash a few seconds after launching the game. I ended up formatting my computer and starting fresh as I'd been having other problems anyways.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Edit: Nvm, doesnt work that way. You can play it without problems in offline mode though.

And if you bought from their website (as the first post suggests) you can download a DRM free version without steam.

Haven't played this yet but could you imagine a full 3D modeled ship like Mass Effect 2 but with FTL's gameplay. Switching characters to manually control systems and fight invaders.

Staal

Does anybody know how hard the minimum requirement is of a 2Ghz processor?

I've got a core duo processer with 1.83 Ghz, with 4GB or RAM. Would that be sufficient to run it?

Haven't played this yet but could you imagine a full 3D modeled ship like Mass Effect 2 but with FTL's gameplay. Switching characters to manually control systems and fight invaders.

I really can't imagine trying to think about cover systems and aiming while also trying to manage shields, engine dodging, aiming weapons and putting out fires.

I dunno, maybe as an asymmetric co-op experience it could be really cool, if one player was like the commander in Natural selection 2, but then you would kind of chip away at the inherant fragility that makes the characters in this game so appealing.

Toma

I've got a core duo processer with 1.83 Ghz, with 4GB or RAM. Would that be sufficient to run it?

I cant really imagine that this wouldnt be fine, tbh. Cant verify though.

This game definitely does a lot of small details well. Like if you jump out in the middle of a firefight, you can see the laser blasts whizzing past your ship as it jumps. Looks like a scene from BSG.

I've got a 2.53 ghz centrino 2, and it plays fine, though when I run on battery and I'm set to lower performance during battery I get a little slow down unless I turn off dynamic backgrounds, but that's not really a big loss.

Toma

Hmm not sure what's wrong. There are like 7 posts in the forum and no mention of any issues yet. Also a post on Shacknews but no mentions as well and nothing on the Steam official forums.

Any reported issues with the Betapatch, or rather safe to install? Completely breaking the game wouldnt be fun :p

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Welcome to the party.

And you had no idea just how wrong you were. I've got over 20 hours into it already, on Easy skill only, and I still haven't beaten the final sector. And I'm loving every minute of it. Just might be my GOTY, and I'm dead serious.

Man, this game is just begging for more scenarios. These mechanics of ship interiors and crewmen would be awesome if applied to another type of mission or a more free-exploration type game. Whether it's from DLC, mods, or a copycat game, any of those would be great.

Toma

Any advice on how to survive being boarded? It's almost always how I die.

If the boarding party are non-robots: Open all doors except the ones in the medbay and collect your crew there (that way the boarding party either suffocates or fights in your medbay, which makes it unwinnable for the enemies)

If they are robots... well... gotta fight and alternate teams that either heal or fight.

Any advice on how to survive being boarded? It's almost always how I die.

Beyond what Toma said,

Make level 2 doors one of your first upgrades. With lvl 2 doors, they can't just walk through, if you drain the air they have to blast out. With 2 human boarders this will drop roughly 1/3 of their health. If you can push them through a couple of rooms without 02 they are done for.

if it's a boarding bot, see if you can disable their drone control, then the boarding drone will just sit there and a crew member can just kill it.

gutabo

Damn this game.

I finally killed the "boss" on easy. Had to unlock the rock cruiser first("RESIST" FTW). Also got three weird weapons for the first time: the healing burst(so I could heal my team while they were on another ship), the anti-bio beam(also great for ship takeovers) and the ridiculous glaive beam(huge damage). I think I'm going to unlock more stuff before going into normal mode because I think I have more to learn yet and I want to learn it. Haven't read a wiki yet and I don't think I will anytime soon.

I have a question tho, seemed to me like killing the opposite crew instead of destroying their ship gives you more stuff(missiles, fuel, droid parts, scrap and weapons sometimes). Is this true? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also, can I grind the repair "skill" by staying in an asteroid field, dropping shields, taking a hit, turning shields on again and fixing the damaged rooms?

kennah

EDIT: Also, can I grind the repair "skill" by staying in an asteroid field, dropping shields, taking a hit, turning shields on again and fixing the damaged rooms?

You probably could, since hanging out in an asteroid field is a great way to level up backup pilots and shield operators.

kennah

Ooooh... that was going to be my next question, thanks for clearing that up!

Actually, I've been testing it out and it seems like you can't level up shields and piloting just sitting in an asteroid field. Sorry to get your hopes up :(

Toma

Actually, I've been testing it out and it seems like you can't level up shields and piloting just sitting in an asteroid field. Sorry to get your hopes up :(

But you totally can do that when fighting against an enemy which cant get through your shields.

gutabo

:(

As for now my main strat for the beginning of the game is to get a couple of multi hit lasers and fire them at the same time(aiming them at their weapons system), basically overriding any shield they have and getting their crew busy repairing it(and defend myself if they teleport to my ship). Then I can keep doing that(so they never fire at me again) or go for their shields too to make things faster. As soon as I can teleport my crew I also aim for their medbay if there's one and teleport my guys over there to try to take over their ship. So far, so good!

Yea, an enemy with just a shitty laser will work for those two though.

As for repair, I wouldn't worry about levelling it, the amoung of hull damage you'd sustain to level a skill that isn' that important wouldn't be worth it. Maybe if the enemy had smart bombs or something that didn't do hull damage you could powerlevel it that way, but as said it's not that usefull.

Haunted

The option to set autofire for each weapon separately would be a great feature.

Also show the charge time in the tooltip when you hover above a weapon.

gutabo

As for repair, I wouldn't worry about levelling it, the amoung of hull damage you'd sustain to level a skill that isn' that important wouldn't be worth it. Maybe if the enemy had smart bombs or something that didn't do hull damage you could powerlevel it that way, but as said it's not that usefull.

Yeah, I mostly think evading >*, but sometimes I get lots of mantis in my crew.

EDIT:
Also show the charge time in the tooltip when you hover above a weapon.
Charge time should be a number too. When you get a very slow weapon(I'm looking at you glaive) you can't even see some faster weapons charge time.

Man

EVE Faster Than Light. Release: TBD.

Basically I would want to see the game mechanics of FTL expanded & implemented into the beauty and serenity of the EVE Online MMO universe.

sangreal

There is something really annoying about Zoltan crew members... their power gets assigned to the first weapon in a slot and takes up 1 of the system power. so if you have for example 4 weapon power, and a weapon that requires all of it in the second slot, you cant use it at all with a zoltan in the room

There is something really annoying about Zoltan crew members... their power gets assigned to the first weapon in a slot and takes up 1 of the system power. so if you have for example 4 weapon power, and a weapon that requires all of it in the second slot, you cant use it at all with a zoltan in the room
Just drag and drop the weapon you want into the first slot.

Makonero

Well, the galaxy is safe from the rebel scourge, thanks to the mighty Crushmogrofier and her valiant crew. I was using the Zoltan Cruiser and found that a combo of the Halberd Beam, the Leto missile and the Burst Laser Mk 3 worked stunningly. Use the laser and missile to drop shields, use the Beam to do as much damage as possible. I finally realized that if I time it right, I don't have to worry about the shields at all when using the beam, which makes it quite formidable.

Hopefully now the addiction can subside. Although there is a new ship to try out and plenty of others to unlock!

Well worth 9 bucks. Definitely my PC GOTY.

Any tips on the Engi ship? I can't seem to get past zone 5 with it. Should I save up for weapons right away, or immediately put money into shields/ engine to keep damage down?

Top Bottom