• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
ibdvKbFta3zRYq.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Info Box |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are US: Steam Store Link
If you are EU and got PayPal: Link to the official website that gets you the game cheaper (Steam key + DRM free version in one purchase)
8,99€ now/9,99€ usually
8,99$ now/9,99$ usually
Buying from the official website gives you the price in $$$.

Available for Windows, Mac and Linux (from their website).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| What is this game? |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is basically a Roguelike in space with some light sim aspects. And that roguelike aspect totally has its hooks in me. You start the game with 1 out of 18 ship designs available and try to get as far as you can for the highscore (or even beating the boss, but that will probably take a while), maybe unlocking other ships in the meantime.

One thing this game does incredibly right are its random aspects, like the random galaxy layouts, the random events on every system beacon and the varying approaches it allows you to take based on what the game offers you in a playthrough. If you are fine with replaying a game for a highscore or unlocking other ships (the roguelike aspect), this game has tons of replay value. I also love the achievements which go beyond simple story achievements and actually manage to teach you about other game mechanics.

The game also has quite a bit of depth, making you decide between:
- invading other ships vs minimizing risks of being invaded
- a wide array of different ship weapons that have different damage types, like: damage ship systems, personel, ship HP, disable systems for a short time, Area of effect damage
- other subsystems that allow you to cloak/hide yourself, use drones that can damage/help your own ships in varying ways, enable you to look into the enemy ship and a bit more

Another unique aspect of the game is the micromanagement of your own crew, which you need to manage on top of all the combat stuff I just listed. Use them to repair your ship,put out fires, heal them, use them to power your own ship systems etcetc.

The star of the show for me are the countless random events and the unlockable ships that actually work as "RPG classes" basically, though. It just feels fresh and rewarding every time I play it. Some people complain that it might be a bit unfair due to its random nature, but I got the impression that you can work with any hand you are dealt with.

Last but not least, the game manages to pack all that into a very, VERY accessible package that is rather easy to learn, especially due to the fact that the game doesnt force all these play approaches onto you, and allows some freedom in deciding how you want to play. Its really smartly designed.

Oh yeah, you might want to start the game on easy, though. Game is hard, though not completely unfair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Media |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pictures speak more than a thousand words:

If you are in need of further convincing, here is a highly recommended WTF is... video by TotalBiscuit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SnIhpCm5w

or Nerd³ Plays... FTL: Faster Than Light:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c_QY0dnI-M

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Wall of GAF quotes |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Love this game, it's so old school

Played a bit before work. I'm in heaven, this game is just... god it's good.

This was my reaction 2 hours in and is my reaction 40 hours later. This game is really special.

Excellent forum post for newbies:

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1887

FTL is an excellent game for an excellent price and you can take that to the bank and smoke it

This game is amazing.

Somehow I've pulled myself away from the game. Can't wait to jump back in.

Need to better myself on limiting energy and missiles, I know that.

This game is fun. Really needs a shitton of different random events to stay fun for a longer period of time though.

20 game hours edit later: .. which it definitely has.

Played it for a bit now, and can definitely see the depth, and man it can be hard, lol.

Good times though, definitely a purchase with longevity, and I love the music

I love this fucking game.

this fucking game GAF. its really great

I can't really explain it. There's something about it that makes me want to play it everytime I have a spare 15mins or so. The problem is I need that 15mins to expand to an hour or two after I've jumped in to it.

I'll add my voice to the chorus. FTL is great.

I discovered the hard way that that next star won't necessarily link to the one further on.

Whoa, this came out of nowhere for me. Might end up being one of my GOTYs at this rate. I seriously had to tell myself "NO, don't start a new game" in order to stop playing. Civ 4 levels of addiction coming up.

I'm finding the game incredibly hard as well, but that's fine. I keep learning new stuff every playthrough.

Fantastic game. Difficult in the best possible way. My only wish is that your crew would auto-heal when out of combat and in no danger. It can get tedious to get them into the med bay 3 at a time and back to their specialized area.

Tenth attempt at Easy and VICTORY! What. A. Game. It's been ages since I tried something this rock hard. Good sense of accomplishment, although a lot of it was down to finding a second Blast Laser (or Burst) II for the Kestrel in the beginning. Also managed to fill up the whole crew which made surviving invasions easier (top upgrade doors to put hurt on enemies before putting my assault crew of four slugs to work on them). Still was sweating quite a lot towards the end. Intense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| How do I play? |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just... play the tutorial. 15 minutes. Its short, on point and teaches you everything you need to know to steer your spaceship into... space.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Miscellaneous hints |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Space bar is pause. Remember this is at heart a rogue-like, use pause liberally to plan your shots in combat and evaluate your situation as events unfold. Also useful for setting up shots with tricky timing, like firing lasers to drop shields and then sneaking in a beam shot right as they fall.

2. Crew are a precious resource. With the typical starting 3 man crew, I recommend a dedicated pilot (pretty much required anyways), a dedicated weapons operator, and a dedicated engine operator.

You need a pilot at all times to plot the next jump and provide basic evasion abilities, it better be an absolute emergency to pull your pilot during a firefight. If you do pull him, try to make sure someone stays in the cockpit for base evasion.

The weapons expert lets you fire faster, this is important as quicker kills mean less damage to you. An engine expert will give you valuable evasion. With the exception of beams, all weapons can be dodged, and beams can only hit typically when your shields are low, generally because you didn't dodge something else.

3. The enemy plays by the same rules (mostly). They can't evade/jump without a working bridge/pilot (unless it's an AI/ upgraded system), useful in later sectors as it generally takes less damage to disable the bridge than the engines.

Some enemy differences- they can't vent their own ship, so fires are extremely effective if they get out of control (<3 fire beam). The game will notify you when they're preparing to jump, though this is easy to miss in the heat of the moment. Finally they can use a multi-shot weapon to target multiple rooms at once, the player can only hit multiple rooms with
beam weaponry.

4. Shields are important but so is evasion, and evasion is much cheaper to improve.

5. You only need to power medbay when it's being used. Useful for juggling power to a new upgrade when you're light on scrap. You can also get creative with your weapons system, missiles/bombs are less useful then beams/lasers after shields have been brought down, just be mindful of arming times.

6. Mad hermits are dicks.

7. 20 scrap for level 2 doors. So good it's stupid. Prevents boarders from running freely over your ship. Any boarders that come on board near a vent are doomed. Watch them slowly die as they pound on the doors. If they reach a system, just reseal the doors and send in some crew to mop up the weakened remains.

8. Pick your battles. Sometimes it's best to take the bribe or just walk away.

9. Capturing ships is incredibly profitable but also risky. If you're going to use a boarding party make sure it's not your core crew members. Use room size to your advantage. Approach enemies with medical systems cautiously, and recall boarders if they try to warp away. Power down your automatic rail gun super weapon when sending boarders from the Federation Cruiser.

10. Don't hold your breath for any deep mods unless the dev adds mod functionality to the game.

There are lots of viable strategies have fun experimenting and exploring!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Credits |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks to Mazre for most of the play hints, sarcasm for the banner and Toma for the blueprint of the OT he used in the Gnomoria OT. (Seriously, go buy that game too)

And thanks to Haunted for the complete version of this picture:
ylW2S.jpg

Sarcasm

Is the banner too short? I can prob make it longer.

Also I just unlocked the zoltan..but I really want B of starter ship =/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is the banner too short? I can prob make it longer.

Also I just unlocked the zoltan..but I really want B of starter ship =/

Not everyone is rocking a 2500*1900 resolution, haha. Size is fine, thanks though. :)

And not to be mean, but... yeah. That layout B of the starter ship will probably always be my favourite.

Toma

Hoping for steam sale on this. Great OP!!!!

If you live in EU, the first steam sale probably won't be significantly cheaper than buying it from the dev website for 7€ currently.

The game is definitely worth the money spent, so much replay value.

If you live in EU, the first steam sale probably won't be significantly cheaper than buying it from the dev website for 7€ currently.

The game is definitely worth the money spent, so much replay value.

I dunno. I'm not really a highscore guy.

After I easily beat the boss with a Federation Cruiser, I felt like I was done with the game.

Toma

81 hours played!

would be more impressive if 72 of those hours hadn't been played in beta

Haha, good to know you were in the Beta actually. What got changed? Other than balancing stuff (like power requirements). Any features they added/dropped during the Beta or from Beta to full release?

Blizzard

Banned
Thread title is the worst, not only did you take out Star Trek, but you added the unnecessary "Stories of" to it! The thread is about more than telling stories! ;p

Okay so 80% of the thread is telling stories BUT STILL.

I like the game. I am guessing I have played it more than any other single-player release since...Skyrim or Portal 2. Or Spacechem.

Toma

I dunno. I'm not really a highscore guy.

After I easily beat the boss with a Federation Cruiser, I felt like I was done with the game.

I thought that might be the end for me at first too. I usually love highscore aspects in games, but not adding a Steam Friends highscore table was really missing out on an opportunity here.

Anyway, I found the most fun in trying to unlock new ships by playing how those achievements suggest to play. I think its really fun to try to board as many ships as possible, or only use drones or whatever they came up with. Will probably put it aside though after I am done with unlocking all the ships.

But yeah, everyone has his own game motivation and that is fine. I hope the game was still worth the experience/time spent for you.

Jintor

Haha, good to know you were in the Beta actually. What got changed? Other than balancing stuff (like power requirements). Any features they added/dropped during the Beta or from Beta to full release?

Yeah, the crew popup thing on the side is probably the major example, that wasn't present immediately. Also, like, half the ships and types of sectors; mantis, slug, rock, they didn't exist three versions ago.

As I said in the other thread, there used to be an endless mode option that appeared on the menu after you won, though it was grayed out. That's apparently not here anymore.

Toma

I don't get the thread title but the game is good. hard. but sooo good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Trail_%28video_game%29

Its a very famous retro game about managing a group of people on their voyage to their shared goal (Oregon), which also included these kind of random events, inspiring many other games after it.

Great read about the experience others had with it:
http://austinjohnston.wordpress.com/2011/05/13/shared-experiences/

holy shit. it's out? edit: looks like it's out in two weeks here (europes). that's ok too.

Yeah you get time to play FTL without being divided. I on the other hand have to deal with both now, AND Torchlight 2 later this week. Feels awesome/bad at the same time, man.

(Also, WotS 4 is my first adventure into the series, but I totally love it, FWIW).

Tucah

you speak so well
This looks awesome. Bought, even though I plan on Borderlands 2 taking up all my gaming time in the near future.

Toma

Alright, leaving this OT with you guys for its first night. Be gentle. Off to bed!

Toma

I called it oregon trail :D

Great thought you had there :)

Thread title is the worst, not only did you take out Star Trek, but you added the unnecessary "Stories of" to it! The thread is about more than telling stories! ;p

Okay so 80% of the thread is telling stories BUT STILL.

Just judging by this post, one might think they modelled a certain hermit after you in this game ;p

I just found a ship that couldn't fire through my shields and let it shoot at me for a few minutes to level up my pilot and shields guy.

dude

dude
I really love the game so far, I just suck at it too much. I wish there was some way to save your progress, I just keep fucking dying.

Mindlog

'Your Mantis crew member 'Zorak' boarded the enemy ship and promptly died of Space Dysentery.'

I'm going to start my first Adjudicator playthrough.
A new thread to be diluted with our posts you mean?
http://i.imgur.com/7LRS9.jpg
*high fives Jintor*
Stealing that for crew names.
Toma - Pilot (will be engineer as soon as I recruit someone else. (Which happened two jumps in.)
Jintor - Gunner
Mazre - Shields

daevv

Just bought it and played the tutorial and one game getting to sector 2 before four dudes boarded the ship and killed my four man crew. Great little game!

Jintor

'Your Mantis crew member 'Zorak' boarded the enemy ship and promptly died of Space Dysentery.'

Toma - Pilot (will be engineer as soon as I recruit someone else. (Which happened two jumps in.)
Jintor - Gunner
Mazre - Shields

tell me of my glorious death

dude

dude
I'd love some tips, guys. What should I invest in first? Usually, I save my scraps, only buying cheap stuff like doors upgrade or some more power, then I buy drones and start upgrading my weapons and shields. If I can afford it (which I usually can't) I try to buy some crew members.
Should I concentrate more on buying crew? Because I keep getting boarded and killed.

rybrad

Is there a demo planned for this at all? I can't really get a solid grasp of this game even when watching videos.

Edit: Never mind, I read through the FAQ on their site, looks like one is planned eventually.

I like the game and all but I feel nothing but punch in the face as events gets harder and harder.

The game has a huge compeling sens of progression and loot/stuff/upgrade but take everything from you with perma death.

Will wait for mods I guess to tweak that

Sarcasm

I like the game and all but I feel nothing but punch in the face as events gets harder and harder.

The game has a huge compeling sens of progression and loot/stuff/upgrade but take everything from you with perma death.

Will wait for mods I guess to tweak that

Well its a roguelike for the most part, half the fun is dying. Not for everybody though so its okay. There is a mod to disable the rebel fleet from chasing you so you can do that, breaks the game honestly.

Man

I can feel Bish's approval of that thread title.

Btw: This game is fantastic. Instantly rewarding. Superb soundtrack reminiscent of an 'Arcade' approach to EVE music.
One of the most inspiring games I've played since Minecraft.

Arsin

Holy shit-snacks this game has taken over just about all of my free time. Thank you to everyone who kickstarted this and made this game a reality. I sadly was not able to get in on the ground floor, but I am gald that I can spend hours and hours playing the game thanks to all of the kickstarters. I can not say enough good things about this game. Up to 8 hours for game time and I don't see it slowing down any time soon. Everyone should buy this game and join in on the fun!

I hope we either get an endless mode or mod support so that someone can build an endless mode.

Other things I hope get tweaked or added:
- ability to rename crew that you get after the game has started. I give my starting crew Star Trek names so that I know to send Geordi to engineering or Worf to man the guns, but then I pick a couple of folks up in-game and I have to just remember that Notch works the shields or some shit. Also hot keys for the crew.
- some indication of whether you can hop from one node to another. It sucks to die because you thought everything connected to the exit and then you realize you have to jump back 4 times.
- being able to build my own ship would be the best.
- upgrade so that my crew is wearing space suits so that I can keep the air off in my ship to kill invaders.

Mazre

A new thread to be diluted with our posts you mean?

7LRS9.jpg

*high fives Jintor*

Hooray for a proper OT nice work as always Toma. Probably my first and last time making a wall of shame as well.

The majority of changes were additions and balance fixes. Cloak used to be 100% evasion, zoltan shields were originally invuln to bombs/beams, various beams had power reqs reduced, some ships had there starting configurations adjusted. Federation cruiser didn't have the super beam but started with 4 lasers like the Kestrel B. Addition of numerous events definitely altered the balance as the beta went along too.

Jintor - Gunner
Mazre - Shields

No! Engines before shields! I say we mutiny, this man clearly is unfit to captain a star ship.

Mindlog

No! Engines before shields! I say we mutiny, this man clearly is unfit to captain a star ship.
Apparently your mutiny worked.
I clicked save and quit at the end of session one, but I can't continue my game now >:\

We were doing great too! I had 2 random Mantis join my crew and had a new pilot my second jump! Fire Bombs AND Fire Beam. Every needed system and weapon was in place.
Forever lost in space.
Time to start a new ship. However, you people are cursed so this is my new crew.

Top Bottom