• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuck Dongles

Tams

The tech industry can shove fucking dongles up their arses.

'You'll get more choice!', 'It's just one port!', 'Why don't you come into the future?' 'Are you not Courageous™️?!', they said.

And yet here we fucking are in fucking two thousand and fucking twenty-three and almost all the fucking dongles you can get are dodgy Chinese shit from companies with alphabet soup names (because of course the fucking manufacturers can't be fucking asked to make their own fucking dongles most of the fucking time). And of those a mere handful even fucking work, and when they fucking do, half are built like absolute fucking shit. What's that? The dongle fucking blocks what other ports there are? It's fucking putting pressure on the port? Well, tough fucking luck, eh?

My phone in fucking 2006 had better fucking functionality. USB-C DAC? No, it had a decent one fucking built-in. Charging and listening to music? No fucking problem as there were different fucking ports for them. Oh, and a fucking dedicated video port that worked with whatever you plugged into the fucking thing. You want to transfer a few fucking files while doing that? No fucking problem.

And don't get me fucking started on fucking cables. Even the fucking proprietary shit of the mid-fucking-00s did what it was fucking supposed to do.

For fuck's sake.

Fuck.

Plane Leaving GIF by The Kid LAROI.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah my MacBook Air is flipping great but lack of old usb and only two ports. So I got a usb-c port to give me card reader etc. will get a wireless mouse and maybe another screen also

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I prefer to used wired whether a network cable for the net or to my tv and for my audio setups, i used to use a dongle and have bluetooth connections but wired is quicker and more stable for me, i don't hate them though lol, they are ok, just slower.

Rockondevil

Yeah that's only a problem if you're stuck in Apple's shitty ecosystem. I'm living the USB-C and bluetooth dream here bro
Yeah because USB-C came before Lightning amiright? Lightning was superior to micro and is still sturdier than USB-C no matter how you look at it.

Apple will change to USB-C due to incoming laws, but then what?
Is USB-C the end of cables and we move to wireless?
Who innovates next, or do we just wait for the next USB standard and everyone adopt it even though a company could potentially design something superior?

I'm not against it, I just don't want innovation stifled due to one standard being required.

Shtef

Totally! When i plug in keyboard, mouse, power supply cable, 2 monitors, usb cable for camera my macbook looks like Frankenstein, dongle inside dongle.

UnNamed

Banned
The tech industry can shove fucking dongles up their arses.

'You'll get more choice!', 'It's just one port!', 'Why don't you come into the future?' 'Are you not Courageous™️?!', they said.

And yet here we fucking are in fucking two thousand and fucking twenty-three and almost all the fucking dongles you can get are dodgy Chinese shit from companies with alphabet soup names (because of course the fucking manufacturers can't be fucking asked to make their own fucking dongles most of the fucking time). And of those a mere handful even fucking work, and when they fucking do, half are built like absolute fucking shit. What's that? The dongle fucking blocks what other ports there are? It's fucking putting pressure on the port? Well, tough fucking luck, eh?

My phone in fucking 2006 had better fucking functionality. USB-C DAC? No, it had a decent one fucking built-in. Charging and listening to music? No fucking problem as there were different fucking ports for them. Oh, and a fucking dedicated video port that worked with whatever you plugged into the fucking thing. You want to transfer a few fucking files while doing that? No fucking problem.

And don't get me fucking started on fucking cables. Even the fucking proprietary shit of the mid-fucking-00s did what it was fucking supposed to do.

For fuck's sake.

Fuck.

Samuel L Jackson, is that you?

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Yeah because USB-C came before Lightning amiright? Lightning was superior to micro and is still sturdier than USB-C no matter how you look at it.

Apple will change to USB-C due to incoming laws, but then what?
Is USB-C the end of cables and we move to wireless?
Who innovates next, or do we just wait for the next USB standard and everyone adopt it even though a company could potentially design something superior?

I'm not against it, I just don't want innovation stifled due to one standard being required.
Car companies have a thousand rules and standards to support and include. Yet there is still innovation happening.

It’s just one connector. Chill out.

Only dongles I've got are a small usb c to a for plugging my usb drive (is that considered a dongle too?) into my phone/tablet to swap files. My other dongle is a 13" realistic silicone anal dildo called "The Anal Wrecker XIII". i'm joking! pls believe me.

You might want to think your title again OP, i'm not a native english speaker but but i'm pretty sure "dongle" is just a cute way to say "dong".
Dongle is a real word but yeah it's a silly sounding word that makes you think of a penis/dildo :messenger_tears_of_joy: Doesn't help OP put "Fuck" in there too lol.

Dongles are shit and need to go away so saying Fuck Dongles is valid but OP was probably just trying to be funny or fish for sex related comments.

Last edited:

Tams

Finally a thread that I can be all nonchalant having bought something expensive.

Just get one of these:

And all your connectivity problems go away*.

*This is obviously not for connecting things to a phone, which OP seems to be complaining about.

That's not true either. Both Thunderbolt and USB have serious capability issues.

And then there's the price of the docks.

Tams

Only dongles I've got are a small usb c to a for plugging my usb drive (is that considered a dongle too?) into my phone/tablet to swap files. My other dongle is a 13" realistic silicone anal dildo called "The Anal Wrecker XIII". i'm joking! pls believe me.

Dongle is a real word but yeah it's a silly sounding word that makes you think of a penis/dildo :messenger_tears_of_joy: Doesn't help OP put "Fuck" in there too lol.

Dongles are shit and need to go away so saying Fuck Dongles is valid but OP was probably just trying to be funny or fish for sex related comments.

Nope, I really am that fucking frustrated at it all.

I just want to fucking charge and use headphones at the same time. I just want to be able to plug in a monitor and a few accessories without playing Amazon return roulette.

Or, better yet, for the fucking devices to have the ports in the first place, where they'll work too.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
That's not true either. Both Thunderbolt and USB have serious capability issues.

And then there's the price of the docks.

That dock works great for me. One cable to my mac, everything else goes to that dock.

But, yeah, expensive, no doubt.

Rayderism

My only complaint about dongles is that they NEED to clearly mark the dongle to more easily match it to the peripheral you're using. I have a few peripherals that use dongles, and only like one of them clearly labeled the dongle so you instantly know what it's for. Very annoying to have switch out dongles until you find the right one.

Nope, I really am that fucking frustrated at it all.

I just want to fucking charge and use headphones at the same time. I just want to be able to plug in a monitor and a few accessories without playing Amazon return roulette.

Or, better yet, for the fucking devices to have the ports in the first place, where they'll work too.
I get your frustration. Blame Apple. They were obsessed with thinness and ditching shit to try increase profits. I remember you had full size USB, HDMI, SD, Ethernet ports on laptops but now all they really come with is USB C ports. If you want anything other than USB C then it's "fuck you go buy a MacBook Pro at £2,000-3,000"

Even on phones it's silly. I mean I get it because there is only so much space but we had 3.5mm headphone jacks but Apple ditched them (and then everyone else copied them). Now you need to buy bluetooth earphones or buy a fucking dongle. USB-A drives worked fine but if you want to transfer anything on/from your phone then you need a dongle.

The move to USB-C isn't bad because it can do a lot and it seems to be the standard connection now but it's still not great. USB-C can do power, data, sound, video, etc connections but we still have USB-A devices, Ethernet cables, HDMI cables, SD cards. Also the specs of USB is a mess. If you could go buy any old USB-C cable that'd be cool but it's not that simple. Some won't charge as fast, some won't do this, some won't do that. Trying to make sense of USB specs is a nightmare.

Either we need to go all in with USB-C or start adding ports back into shit.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Bring back laptops with ALL THE PORTS, give me ALL THE PORTS!
IMG_3371.JPG

Ports 4 life, fuck dongles.
There are. You can buy them.

I feel like the trade off from dongles Ti docks is a good one.

Most of the time I want a small laptop that is self contained.

I can buy the dongles I want or need.

When plugged in a single cable dock is amazing.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Yeah, i'm still rocking with my LG v60 due to still having a headphone jack. I'm holding on to this phone for deal life. It seems like the last phone with a headphone jack and a microSD card reader.

Might move on to an Asus Zenphone 10 if it has better t-moble support then the 9.

I'm not buying a cellphone without a headphone jack to support some trash ass Bluetooth headphones. I don't need another battery to charge at the end of the day.

Sleepwalker

I have some fucking paper weight turtle beach headphones because I lost the dongle and they dont produce or replace them anymore, they also dont work wired or with aftermarket ones. So yes fuck dongles very much.

Also so many wavebirds without dongles.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Don't worry mate, they made USB very simple by sticking with one type. Now all you need is USB3 Type C.

Or maybe that's USB3.1 Gen 2.

Or is it USB3.2 Gen 2x2?

They all have different specs, and cables don't automatically support all bandwidth levels.

But as I said, it's all so simple because there's just one port to worry about.

daveonezero

Banned
Don't worry mate, they made USB very simple by sticking with one type. Now all you need is USB3 Type C.

Or maybe that's USB3.1 Gen 2.

Or is it USB3.2 Gen 2x2?

They all have different specs, and cables don't automatically support all bandwidth levels.

But as I said, it's all so simple because there's just one port to worry about.
Yep. fact that it is one connector and a bunch of standards is worse than it was before. Buying cables is a shit show.

Top Bottom