• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full F-Zero AX arcade game found on F-Zero GX disc

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The fact that Nintendo outsourced it to a third party is probably an indicator of the priority ranking F-Zero has at that company.

The higher tier properties get internally developed or by a shell company they control. The less-selling, lesser priority games get sent to other studios since they more willing to take risks with those IPs in letting someone else take a swing at them.

we've had Mario Party games outsourced, Wii Party and Wii Play Motion, Kirby games, Wario games, many Mario Sports titles, three handheld Zeldas, a few Starfox entries, the Excite series, Punchout!!, Luigi's Mansion 2 and even Other M and the current Smash Bros. are semi-outsourced.

Basically everything besides a console Zelda or a Mario platformer...

FyreWulff

we've had Mario Party games outsourced

Mario Party started as a Hudson Soft series..

Wii Party

Nd Cube is Nintendo owned subsidiary

Kirby games

HAL is Nintendo ownde subsidiary

Wario games

Wario is not a key franchise for Nintendo

many Mario Sports games

I'll give you this one

three handheld Zelda

Flagship was Nintendo-controlled at the time. Capcom contributed the developers, but Nintendo was in charge of everything.

a few Starfox entries

Starfox is not a key franchise.

the Excite series

Excite is not a key franchise

Punchout!!

3 unique entries in almost 30 years. Not a key franchise.

Luigi's Mansion 2

This game technically makes LM a franchise now, but it's not a key franchise. Nintendo were more than happy to let it sit with no sequal for over a decade.

and even Other M

Many games have easily outsold the Metroid franchise, and games expected to undersell have outsold the Prime series. Other M was allowed to be developed externally because the only way they had to go was up in sales. And they still went down.

and the current Smash Bros. are semi-outsourced.

I'll give you this one too

Basically everything besides a console Zelda or a Mario platformer...

Nintendo's key franchises in terms of sales:

Wii Fit
Mario platformers
Animal Crossing
Zelda
Pokemon

This isn't an attack on F-Zero (I realize this is a thread that fellow F-Zero fans are going to be posting in, in the first place) but the game is not a going concern for Nintendo. And if people want Sega to do it again, Sega's going to have to be able to spare the manpower to do it after their slimming down.

edit: also Sega is doing great with Sonic All Stars and Nintendo has Mario Kart. F-Zero has to justify itself against two other racers that each company would rather allot resources to.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Mario Party started as a Hudson Soft series..

Nd Cube is Nintendo owned subsidiary

HAL is Nintendo ownde subsidiary

Flagship was Nintendo-controlled at the time. Capcom contributed the developers, but Nintendo was in charge of everything.

Nintendo's key franchises in terms of sales:

Wii Fit
Mario platformers
Animal Crossing
Zelda
Pokemon

If Mario Party was a Hudson Soft series, that means Nintendo granted them a license to use Mario.

ND Cube wasn't owned by Nintendo until after Wii Party released.

Was referring to Kirby's Epic Yarn, developed by Good Feel

According to wikipedia the director and producer for Minish Cap were strictly Capcom employees. Call it whatever you want, Capcom did all the work and was in charge of directing and producing. Fujibayashi later on moved to Nintendo, and Inafune left Capcom to go independent.

As for Flagship, I have no idea what the exact relationship was. Seems rather complicated as they were funded by Nintendo Capcom and Sega, and also developed Resident Evil and Kirby games before they were folded back into Capcom. Either way, the distinction between purely internal and externally developed titles is obviously not as clear cut as we like to think.

In terms of key franchises, Pokemon isn't even what you'd call an internally developed franchise, as there are dedicated independent teams and companies for it.

Wii Fit saw two hugely successful releases but it's no more a part of what defines Nintendo at its core than Nintendogs or Brain Training or even Pikmin. That leaves just Mario Platformers which are a given considered they're practically what made the company, and Animal Crossing. Even then, Nintendo had no problem going more than a decade without releasing a 2D Mario platformer, and it's not like every Animal Crossing entry has as much thought and care put behind it as you'd expect from a key franchise for a major publisher.

The bottom line is Nintendo does whatever they want with their IP.

Yet an (at the time) premium third party, renowned for making the best driving games in the world. Nintendo only became soured on the franchise due to the unfortunate circumstances of an extremely difficult game being released on a niche platform, and the subsequent flat sales it delivered.
What about the GBA games? Max Velocity did well as it was launch and the other racing choices were Konami Crazy Racers (which was also good) but anyway...

I don't have my media create sales numbers table on me but IIRC F-Zero GX had a similar week 1 to F-Zero X and slightly less ltd (or whatever the other column was).

The GBA games though. IIRC GP Legend and Climax combined did less than 10,000 week 1. Thats a dead franchise. In I remember hearing GP Legend was the lowest selling title Nintendo published in America (don't know if thats just GBA or overall).

Also, I could let them off the hook for missing the Wii due to motion controls not being precise off.

What F-zero really needs is some rebranding. New artstyle for the characters, new characters with the primary focus ON the new characters (keep classic characters like Captain Falcon and Samurai Goro as playables right from the start, no unlock or other BS).

Make it like a new generation thing, Captain Falcon is too wrapped up in internet memes to be taken seriously on the cover of a game anymore.

Neff

What about the GBA games? Max Velocity did well as it was launch and the other racing choices were Konami Crazy Racers (which was also good) but anyway...

I always got the impression that the GBA F-Zeros were relatively easy and cheap to make, hence three games essentially being the same, so were probably profitable in that respect.

F-Zero AX/GX was a big project for Nintendo/Sega, it's understandable if they found their sales disappointing.

FzeroClimax_box.jpg

F-Zero Climax is actually pretty good as it tries really hard to be a handheld version of GX. Too bad it only came out in Japan

Well if you own any Logitech or other brand of PC force feedback wheel, your wish has come true, because now you can use them to play F-Zero GX with 100% full force feedback effects via Dolphin! See this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47962255&postcount=473

um wow!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't an attack on F-Zero (I realize this is a thread that fellow F-Zero fans are going to be posting in, in the first place) but the game is not a going concern for Nintendo. And if people want Sega to do it again, Sega's going to have to be able to spare the manpower to do it after their slimming down.

edit: also Sega is doing great with Sonic All Stars and Nintendo has Mario Kart. F-Zero has to justify itself against two other racers that each company would rather allot resources to.

I don't really understand this logic. F-Zero and Mario Kart (and I guess Sega All Stars?) are very different games. I mean, I can't be the only one who doesn't give a damn about cart racers or simulators like GT, but likes arcade-y games like Wipeout and F-Zero.

I don't think the problem is justifying itself against any other series since Nintendo doesn't really have anything else like it. It needs to justify itself alone through sales - (proper) Kirby and 2D Mario are more similar than F-Zero and Mario Kart, and Nintendo is fine with funding and developing Kirby games since they sell well.

But I guess it can't really justify itself and there's not a market for these type of games, since Wipeout has apparently struggled too.

Odrion

Banned
xhibit-300x193.jpg

"Yo dawg....I heard you like arcade ports in yo home ports, so we put F-Zero AX in yo F-Zero GX!"

Yeah I found out about this a few days ago and it's pretty wild. Don't visit GAF all that much these days so it's no surprise I just discovered this thread.

This revelation, coupled with the ability to play the game with 100% full force feedback effects with any PC ffb wheel, means you really DO have the arcade machine in your house literally!

This was the case until recently with the last few builds. The last few builds run F-Zero GX at it's absolute BEST to date! Dual Core is a lot more stable now and further optimizations have given the game an even bigger speed boost! Plus Open GL runs just as good as Dx9 now.

Well if you own any Logitech or other brand of PC force feedback wheel, your wish has come true, because now you can use them to play F-Zero GX with 100% full force feedback effects via Dolphin! See this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47962255&postcount=473
Last time I checked F-Zero GX ran like turds on the Dolphin, has this really changed?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Last time I checked F-Zero GX ran like turds on the Dolphin, has this really changed?

Some menus are stuck at low framerates, and it is really unstable. Crashes a lot, there might be a custom build for the game to help with that though.

Races are fine for the most part though, Sand Ocean was the only track that has significant problems (slowdown in the tunnel). I think there are a few other minor things, like Lightning not having rain, but that's not a big deal.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
So what's the verdict on this AX hack? Word around the barn is it crashes when do you certain things like finish the race or something like that. Anyone else tried it? I'm about to right now and see what happens

Some menus are stuck at low framerates, and it is really unstable. Crashes a lot, there might be a custom build for the game to help with that though.

Use the MB versions of Dolphin.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
So does this include extra tracks and content or is this just an arcade UI wrapper?

Just tried it out. It's the full AX game as far as I can tell and boy oh boy are AX tracks GORGEOUS beyond belief at 4k res!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, they're hard as hell but they're purdy.

Put a new lamp in my projector a couple days ago so the contrast and colors are a sight for sore eyes.

MMaRsu

Banned
Just tried it out. It's the full AX game as far as I can tell and boy oh boy are AX tracks GORGEOUS beyond belief at 4k res!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, they're hard as hell but they're purdy.

Put a new lamp in my projector a couple days ago so the contrast and colors are a sight for sore eyes.

Isamu wtf man you can't do this to me and not post pics

I tried really hard to warn you guys.

I read that 1.6 allows for manual.

edit:

Answer:

Please follow these steps.

Please Note: The Add New Games / Codes Feature is no longer included in Gamecube Action Replay Version 1.20, Wii compatible & higher discs.

For versions below Version 1.20, use the following steps to add codes to your GC Action Replay:

Turn on your GameCube with the Action Replay disc inserted.
Choose Action Replay Codes
Choose the US flag.
Select “Add New Game”
Enter in the name of the game.
Once the game name has been entered, highlight “DONE” & press A.
Name your (M) code.
This can be named anything you'd like, or you can just enter (M).
Once you’ve named your (M) code, highlight "DONE" and press A.
Carefully enter the actual (M) code
Once you have finished entering the (M) code, highlight "DONE" and press A twice. (This will save the (M) code.)
Return to the screen displaying your new game name and (M) code and select “Add New Code”.
Enter the name of the code you would like to add.
Enter the actual code.
Save the newly entered code.
Repeat these steps for each new code you would like to add

Damn how am I supposed to know I'm buying the right one.

I bought a brand new gamecube controller just for this. I'm going to try asking Datel Customer service.

Top Bottom