• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full translated Japanese Wii release list - Sega light gun game on the way and others

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the e3 "lightgun" games used a cursor, afaik, and it's uncertain whether simple user calibration would make the waggle wand an adequate lightgun. traditional lightguns use calibration screens, but mainly they're lightguns -- they read white flashes on crt tvs so they know where you're pointing. the calibration is supplemental. there are lightguns on the market using technology similar to the waggle wand's pointer, but afaik they use multiple sensor bars. my feeling is that you'd get a lot of "drift" with user calibration alone, and would constantly have to recalibrate. we'll see, i guess.

GDGF

Soothsayer
drohne said:
the e3 "lightgun" games used a cursor, afaik, and it's uncertain whether simple user calibration would make the waggle wand an adequate lightgun. traditional lightguns use calibration screens, but mainly they're lightguns -- they read white flashes on crt tvs so they know where you're pointing. the calibration is supplemental. there are lightguns on the market using technology similar to the waggle wand's pointer, but afaik they use multiple sensor bars. my feeling is that you'd get a lot of "drift" with user calibration alone, and would constantly have to recalibrate. we'll see, i guess.

How did the SNES Super Scope work? I remember it using some kind of laser sensor (a single one) that was hooked up to the controller port of the SNES, and I remember that you had to calibrate the system before playing a game. I don't remember if there was 'screen flash' like with the NES lightgun (don't think there was, though)

Maybe you'll find your answers there.

(I also remember that it was 'accurate to a single television pixel' :lol)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
GDGF said:
I don't remember if there was 'screen flash' like with the NES lightgun (don't think there was, though)

there was. the the little ir receiver just read button inputs -- the super scope was wireless.

GDGF

Soothsayer
drohne said:
there was. the the little ir receiver just read button inputs -- the super scope was wireless.

Ah. It was a long time ago, so I wasn't sure. They're bound to find some kind of workaround, though.

(here's to hoping, anyway :))

Top Bottom