• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fullscreen age...how to get rid of stupid black bars on ps3 game (dead space)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Kyo said:
Err... no! And that was the main point of my statement. As I said, get your logic straight. Sheesh...
In order to fill that top and bottom portion of the screen you're going from a 2.35:1 aspect ratio to a more narrow 1.78:1 aspect ratio. When you use a more narrow aspect ratio you must zoom out in order to capture the same amount of horizontal view. In order to demonstrate this I ask you to look straight ahead with both eyes open. Please notice how much you can see from one side to the other without moving your eyes. Now put your hands up to either side of your face like horse blinders (now you have a more narrow aspect ratio) and you'll notice that you can't see as much to your sides. In order for you to see the same horizontal view that you saw before you must back up (zoom out). In backing up you'll see the same horizontal view as with your hands down (and as a result more vertical view). I'm not making a point one way or another on the artistic intent of the filmmaker, just that you have to zoom out in order to capture the same horizontal view of a wider aspect ratio. So I rebuke your "Err...no!" with an "Err...yes!". :)

Kyo said:
So basically you're saying that the choice of 2.35:1 (or similar) quite often has technical reasons just as much as (or even more so than) merely artistic ones? Well, on that we can agree.
Yes, they are compromising. I'm sure some would like to try IMAX or go all triptych like Abel Gance, but they use one of the three or four standardized film stocks because it's cheaper and more convenient for everyone, including you with your demand for more active pixels. That doesn't mean that there aren't good artistic reasons for the decision among the several standards (see PhoncipleBone's excellent last few posts for examples).

They're willing to compromise their vision just a little for everyone's sake. Why don't you and TheExodu5 and PjotrStroganov meet them halfway and allow directors to choose 2.39:1 if they want? If it really bothers you, just buy 1.85:1 movies exclusively.

Fuzzy said:
In order to fill that top and bottom portion of the screen you're going from a 2.35:1 aspect ratio to a more narrow 1.78:1 aspect ratio. When you use a more narrow aspect ratio you must zoom out in order to capture the same amount of horizontal view. In order to demonstrate this I ask you to look straight ahead with both eyes open. Please notice how much you can see from one side to the other without moving your eyes. Now put your hands up to either side of your face like horse blinders (now you have a more narrow aspect ratio) and you'll notice that you can't see as much to your sides. In order for you to see the same horizontal view that you saw before you must back up (zoom out). In backing up you'll see the same horizontal view as with your hands down (and as a result more vertical view). I'm not making a point one way or another on the artistic intent of the filmmaker, just that you have to zoom out in order to capture the same horizontal view of a wider aspect ratio. So I rebuke your "Err...no!" with an "Err...yes!". :)

That is logical and intelligent thinking that only a few people posting in this thread have demonstrated, thus it is not welcome on GAF or the internet in general. Please take your intelligence and go somewhere else. Kidding of course.

It is nice to find someone with a brain posting here. I think we are up to five...maybe six.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
PhoncipleBone said:
That is logical and intelligent thinking that only a few people posting in this thread have demonstrated, thus it is not welcome on GAF or the internet in general. Please take your intelligence and go somewhere else. Kidding of course.

It is nice to find someone with a brain posting here. I think we are up to five...maybe six.
I'm usually sarcastic with stupid jokes that nobody finds funny.

Fuzzy said:
I'm usually sarcastic with stupid jokes that nobody finds funny.

Being completely serious here. It is nice to find someone posting a logical and intelligent response in this thread. We must talk more often.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fuzzy said:

Or if you're shooting with Super 35mm, you don't have to zoom in at all. It's definitely more work to film taking into acount things bigger than the intended aspect ratio though. I still think it's the best solution. It gives the theater the intended experience, and home owners can see it fill their screen.

There must be a way to have a full 16:9 frame on a Blu-Ray disc, with the option to black out the top and bottom to restore the original aspect ratio, right? That'd be an awesome idea. That would make everyone happy, without the need to compromise whatsoever.

TheExodu5 said:
Or if you're shooting with Super 35mm, you don't have to zoom in at all. It's definitely more work to film taking into acount things bigger than the intended aspect ratio though. I still think it's the best solution. It gives the theater the intended experience, and home owners can see it fill their screen.

There must be a way to have a full 16:9 frame on a Blu-Ray disc, with the option to black out the top and bottom to restore the original aspect ratio, right? That'd be an awesome idea. That would make everyone happy, without the need to compromise whatsoever.

It goes back to original artistic intent. Yes they open up the frame more using super 35, but they start to show things that were never intended to be seen in the first place. An example of removing the mattes from a 1.85 frame to make a 1.33 movie is A Fish Called Wanda. On the open matte version of it, you see that John Cleese is wearing underwear in a certain scene, when he is supposed to be nude. The open matte of that actually ruins the joke. There are pictures showing this online.

The problem with Super 35 is that is makes film grain more prominent when shown. So if they use that more then people like you will complain about grain in the picture. The only way to remove that is to use a noise reduction program which then smooths out the image and begins to eliminate detail, much like the emulator filters work. Sometimes grain is intended to be there, like in Minority Report.

As Fuzzy said, when you open up the top and bottom, you have to zoom out from the intended focus of the picture. That is the only way to get the same horizontal information in a narrower frame. You have to add vertical information, which then destroys the original composition of the frame.

So what do you do when you watch a movie like Casablanca or Gone with the Wind? Do you zoom it in so you can use all that precious pixel space on the sides of the screen, thus resulting in you chopping off the tops and bottoms of the intended picture? Or do you stretch and distort the image so you miss nothing and still use all your precious screen space, but by doing so make the image mangled?

Those of us arguing the subject are trying to point out that you should NEVER alter the original version of a film to accommodate morons that want their precious tvs filled with picture. If it isnt arguing to keep 2.35 how it is, we will fight to keep 1.33 as it is. Keep the films the way they were originally supposed to be seen. If you want to mangle with someone elses work against their will to accommodate your tastes then do it. That is your choice. But DO NOT even begin to try and fuck it up for the rest of us who like to have things in their original presentation format. I and countless others choose to watch TV or film in its original format, whether it be 1.33, 1.66, 1.78, 1.85, 2.20, 2.35, 2.40, 2.55 or what have you.

ithorien

PhoncipleBone said:
These people design movies for THEATERS, not homes. How is that NOT artistic intent.

Thank you, feels like everyone completely flew past the post I made about budgets etc.

They clear the budget from THEATER ticket sales, not Blu-ray/DVD sales. Theater is the primary medium, not the home, as much as you'd like to believe that.

I think as of Dec 17th, Dark Knight on both formats has sold 13.5 million units worldwide. At an average price of $25 per unit, that's 337.5 million dollars. Not to mention sales prices, black Friday, and price drop over time.

Domestic box office total as of today is 530 million, with the worldwide total just shy of 997 million. I really doubt the home release will catch up to the box office.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You'll also get stupid stuff like boom shots, wires, film lights, and other extraneous objects/people in open matte films. Since they were supposed to be obscured by the final framing.

ithorien said:
Thank you, feels like everyone completely flew past the post I made about budgets etc.

They clear the budget from THEATER ticket sales, not Blu-ray/DVD sales. Theater is the primary medium, not the home, as much as you'd like to believe that.

I think as of Dec 17th, Dark Knight on both formats has sold 13.5 million units worldwide. At an average price of $25 per unit, that's 337.5 million dollars.

Domestic box office total as of today is 530 million, with the worldwide total just shy of 997 million. I really doubt the home release will catch up to the box office.

And what director is making a movie thinking "This is going to look so good on that television I have at home!"? They are thinking "This is going to look great on the big screen!"

Sometimes home video revenue eclipses the box office take, but even when it does it was not the original medium meant to deliver the product.

dallow_bg said:
You'll also get stupid stuff like boom shots, wires, film lights, and other extraneous objects/people in open matte films. Since they were supposed to be obscured by the final framing.

Another of the intelligent people on here. I really need to go through this entire thread and compile a list so I know who to send christmas cards to next year.

ithorien

PhoncipleBone said:
And what director is making a movie thinking "This is going to look so good on that television I have at home!"? They are thinking "This is going to look great on the big screen!"

Sometimes home video revenue eclipses the box office take, but even when it does it was not the original medium meant to deliver the product.

Yea, exactly, nobody does that, because not everyone has an HD TV with a surround system etc.

They aim for the theater because it is the UNIVERSAL medium, for all mankind, and it's what makes them money.

And about the home video revenue eclipsing box office, usually it's a cult film that does that, and it's generally considered a fluke in the industry.

TheExodu5

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
As Fuzzy said, when you open up the top and bottom, you have to zoom out from the intended focus of the picture. That is the only way to get the same horizontal information in a narrower frame. You have to add vertical information, which then destroys the original composition of the frame.

That's why I'm saying you make the Blu-Ray so you have the option to watch it either way. Add black bars to the top and bottom of the screen, or remove them to fill the entire screen. It's the consumer's choice! Also, it shouldn't be too hard to film while accomodating 16:9, since that still gives a lot of unused space in the full 4:3 frame. The theater experience will remain as the intentional vision, and be completely unaffected. Everyone's happy.

ithorien

TheExodu5 said:
That's why I'm saying you make the Blu-Ray so you have the option to watch it either way. Add black bars to the top and bottom of the screen, or remove them to fill the entire screen. It's the consumer's choice! Also, it shouldn't be too hard to film while accomodating 16:9, since that still gives a lot of unused space in the full 4:3 frame. The theater experience will remain as the intentional vision, and be completely unaffected. Everyone's happy.

So you're saying that directors and cinematographers should now take an extra step for your convenience?

TheExodu5 said:

I dont think you quite grasp the concept of artistic intent and also how film actually works. Then why not just shoot and present the film in 1.85 in the first place and lets just get rid of 2.35 all together! Yeah, thats the ticket!

For the uninitiated, here is a great page with LOTS of good information.

www.widescreen.org

TheExodu5

Banned
ithorien said:
So you're saying that directors and cinematographers should now take an extra step for your convenience?

Is taking into acount an extra 25% of screen space really that difficult? Yes they should take the extra step, after all, they're selling their product to me.

You all think way too highly of film directors.

ithorien

TheExodu5 said:
Is taking into acount an extra 25% of screen space really that difficult? Yes they should take the extra step, after all, they're selling their product to me.

I think you're being a little too egotistical here, they sell to the masses, and not you directly. Believe you me, they probably don't care if a small group of people doesn't like what they do. Mainstream is what gets them paid.

TheExodu5 said:

So lets say you paint a picture. Would you spend all the time making it just to some idiot could come along and start cutting it or folding it or altering it to fit his needs at the moment? Or would you like it to be the way that you originally made it. Would you get pissed if an admin came in and altered your avatar just to make himself happy?

How about I come over to your house and start rearranging your cabinets and furniture so it makes more sense to me. The hell with what you think, I am the guest there and you are entertaining me, why shouldnt the house be laid out how I want it? Perhaps you are wearing your hair a certain way because you think it looks good and its the way you want it to be, but I dont think so so I mess it up or chop some off. Perhaps throwing some gel in it and screwing with it just to make me happy.

Let me guess, you watch edited versions of movies as well. Would you watch a movie with several key scenes edited out for running time, or maybe a blur added over an offensive area of the frame? The blur wasnt there before, so they actually added something to the film, so why not watch it.

M3d10n

TheExodu5 said:

What you're suggesting is, instead of having a full picture for theater and either bars or pan-scan for home, directors revert it so home releases get the full picture and theater gets cropped?

wat?

You greatly underestimate the effort it would go to fill up that extra 25% space. Framing is a major part of film making. You want the entire industry to change around you, so that you lose nothing by using the zoom function of your player?

M3d10n said:
What you're suggesting is, instead of having a full picture for theater and either bars or pan-scan for home, directors revert it so home releases get the full picture and theater gets cropped?

wat?

You greatly underestimate the effort it would go to fill up that extra 25% space. Framing is a major part of film making.

So far the smart group is:
M3d10n
Fuzzy
ithorien
dallow_bg
Liabe Brave

I dont feel like reading back far enough to find more...perhaps they can come and chime back inso I can have a complete list. :) thanks.

Raistlin

TheExodu5 said:

Most TV's can zoom in to get rid of it.

Onix said:
Most TV's can zoom in to get rid of it.

Thus creating the option for the people who want cropped pictures to get cropped pictures, and those who want the original film to get the original film. As I said before, if you wanna do that, then do it. Just dont fuck it up for the other people that want things correct.

Raistlin

PhoncipleBone said:
Thus creating the option for the people who want cropped pictures to get cropped pictures, and those who want the original film to get the original film.

Exactly. Asking it to be in the movie is ridiculous. You would either need two versions on the disc (thereby, lowering A/V quality, or extras) ... or expect CE manufacturers to put in the proper zoom and framing modes in their players at the HW level.

As I said before, if you wanna do that, then do it. Just dont fuck it up for the other people that want things correct.

This.

Kyo

TheExodu5 said:
Or if you're shooting with Super 35mm, you don't have to zoom in at all.

What a revolutionary concept! :lol That's exactly what I meant. It's odd to get smart-ass replies to that from people who don't even think THAT far.

Kyo

dallow_bg said:

Obviously the filmmakers should be framing their shots for both the cinemascope part of the picture and the open matte version. If you see boom mics and stuff, someone has simply failed - it's not a necessary problem of the format.

AFreak

Banned
Fenderputty said:
Someone stated earlier in this thread that they wondered if more people out there have HDTV's yet never utilized them. It's pretty clear that is the case. Kinda sucks too.

Yeah, seems like a common occurence honestly.

MrHicks

Banned
something arrived in the mail today...
34t4op1.jpg

FUCK YEA?

TheExodu5

Banned
Onix said:
Exactly. Asking it to be in the movie is ridiculous. You would either need two versions on the disc (thereby, lowering A/V quality, or extras) ... or expect CE manufacturers to put in the proper zoom and framing modes in their players at the HW level.

This.

No you wouldn't need 2 versions. Blu-Ray supports Java. I'm sure you can add black borders with Java (since I've seen Javas pop up overlays during movies).

PhoncipleBone said:
So lets say you paint a picture. Would you spend all the time making it just to some idiot could come along and start cutting it or folding it or altering it to fit his needs at the moment? Or would you like it to be the way that you originally made it. Would you get pissed if an admin came in and altered your avatar just to make himself happy?

How about I come over to your house and start rearranging your cabinets and furniture so it makes more sense to me. The hell with what you think, I am the guest there and you are entertaining me, why shouldnt the house be laid out how I want it? Perhaps you are wearing your hair a certain way because you think it looks good and its the way you want it to be, but I dont think so so I mess it up or chop some off. Perhaps throwing some gel in it and screwing with it just to make me happy.

Those analogies make no sense. You NEED a new frame for every picture you buy. If you had just 1 frame at home, then you'd ask the artist to make it fit the frame. Plus, the cost of the frame compared to the picture is entirely negligeable. A TV costs 100x what a movie does.

People don't need to pay to see my house or hair.

MrHicks said:
something arrived in the mail today...
34t4op1.jpg

FUCK YEA?

FUCK YEAH! That's gonna be a massive upgrade man.

TheExodu5 said:

Is this a joke? It would cost filmmakers a TON more money to fill up that space (that is, each shot now has 25% more area that has to be film-quality).

TheExodu5

Banned
RiskyChris said:
Is this a joke? It would cost filmmakers a TON more money to fill up that space (that is, each shot now has 25% more area that has to be film-quality).

That's only the case if you have to render CG. The rest would be fairly negligeable, with regards to the cost of the rest of the movie.

Raistlin

TheExodu5 said:
No you wouldn't need 2 versions. Blu-Ray supports Java. I'm sure you can add black borders with Java (since I've seen Javas pop up overlays during movies).

That's not the same thing ... it would be akin to pan&scan, but worse ... ie. horrible.

You're saying you would have a natively 16x9 frame, and then simply crop it at the top and bottom. That wouldn't yield the true aspect ratio of the film. It would instead actually be cropped in BOTH directions for films natively wider than 16x9.

:eek:

Kyo

Onix, what are you talking about? His idea is perfect and in "cinemascope mode" with those black bar overlays you wouldn't notice the difference to a Blu-ray Disc mastered only for 2.4:1 .

Raistlin

Kyo said:
Onix, what are you talking about? His idea is perfect and in "cinemascope mode" with those black bar overlays you wouldn't notice the difference to a Blu-ray Disc mastered only for 2.4:1 .

Okay, maybe I joined the discussion late.

I'm not sure I follow?

Kyo

I'll try to explain.

Onix said:
You're saying you would have a natively 16x9 frame, and then simply crop it a
at the top and bottom. That wouldn't yield the true aspect ratio of the film.

Why not? The whole point of these bars would be to get the original aspect ratio and FOV of the theatrical release from a stream that contains a 16:9 full screen picture. Everything that was filmed but wasn't supposed to be seen in theaters would be blocked by the black bars, thus creating the original cinema experience. Obviously those bars would have to be custom-fit for every movie, as the aspect ratios vary. Everyone who wants a full 16:9 picture would just disable the bars and get to see more at the top and bottom, warts and all.

It would instead actually be cropped in BOTH directions for films natively wider than 16x9.

What do you mean "both directions"? Only the cinemascope version would be cropped and only at the top and bottom (compared to the full screen 16:9 version).

Raistlin

Kyo said:
I'll try to explain.

Why not? The whole point of these bars would be to get the original aspect ratio and FOV of the theatrical release from a stream that contains a 16:9 full screen picture. Everything that was filmed but wasn't supposed to be seen in theaters would be blocked by the black bars, thus creating the original cinema experience. Obviously those bars would have to be custom-fit for every movie, as the aspect ratios vary. Everyone who wants a full 16:9 picture would just disable the bars and get to see more at the top and bottom, warts and all.

What do you mean "both directions"? Only the cinemascope version would be cropped and only at the top and bottom (compared to the full screen 16:9 version).

The only way that makes sense is if the original film was shown in 16:9 ... otherwise, you are cropping the sides to force it to 16:9. Correct?

So if you take a film that was originally wider than 16:9, and display it at 16:9, you are cropping the sides. If you then add black bars to get at the original aspect ratio, you are now cropping the top and bottom too. That wouldn't be the original FOV, just the original aspect ratio.

B-Ri

Kyo said:
Everyone who wants a full 16:9 picture would just disable the bars and get to see more at the top and bottom, warts and all.

LOL

so you want timecode, boom mics, seeing flags and light barn doors?

Yes, the full 35mm frame is shot, but the entire movie was filmed with the aspect ratio, and the safe zones decided since day 1.

People calling for the removal of mattes, and aspect ratios for the sake of filling their HDTV screen, you just MIGHT be worse then Full Screen DVD and pan and scan advocates.

Kyo

No. No cropping of the sides in any case.

And yes, obviously this only works if the film was shot in a way that makes additional parts of the picture available above and below what was used in the theatrical release. It's not something you could do with every ultra-wide classic, it's something for future releases and those where decent open matte versions are available.

B-Ri

Kyo said:

And yes, obviously this only works if the film was shot in a way that makes additional parts of the picture available above and below what was used in the theatrical release. It's not something you could do with every ultra-wide classic, it's something for future releases and those where decent open matte versions are available.

:lol

Aspect ratio and compositions done by them are a decision that was made, and artistic choice. Saying that you now want to basically DESTROY that by removing mattes is like saying "this horror movie is too dark, i want the version where its lit entirely by a brute"

TheExodu5 said:
That's only the case if you have to render CG. The rest would be fairly negligeable, with regards to the cost of the rest of the movie.
Are you kidding? Do you know how much money it would cost to build every single set 23% higher? Or to light those areas? (Most of the production time spent on movies is during lighting setup, not during actual takes; and this expense relates to locations as much as to sets.) Or, given how ubiquitous CGI is these days, to render larger background plates, remove unwanted elements, or add more objects? For the cinematographer to spend all the extra time digitally grading those areas (or even just color-timing a larger frame)? How about the extra sound setup time to capture clean dialog or live effects when you have to move the booms back by feet? (This is the reason open mattes catch booms so often; you want the mike as close as possible so you don't ruin takes with noise.)

And finally, the only way to do this on film would be to use a 1.85:1 frame with an open matte...and we're right back to losing resolution on the objects of interest like Fuzzy pointed out.

Use the "Zoom" button on your TV remote or disc player, and quit trying to build the cost of your preference into the industry.

Kyo

B-Ri said:
LOL

so you want timecode, boom mics, seeing flags and light barn doors?

No, because obviously in these cases a 16:9 expanded FOV version doesn't make sense. What a concept, eh?

Yes, the full 35mm frame is shot, but the entire movie was filmed with the aspect ratio, and the safe zones decided since day 1.

As I said before, the safe zones should optimally be set in ways to make an optional 16:9 version usable without seeing the camera crew, microphones and all that stuff.

Kyo

B-Ri said:

Aspect ratio and compositions done by them are a decision that was made, and artistic choice. Saying that you now want to basically DESTROY that by removing mattes is like saying "this horror movie is too dark, i want the version where its lit entirely by a brute"

I don't care about artistic choices if they hamper my personal enjoyment of a movie. If I want to watch that horror movie with higher brightness levels, that's my choice and I don't see how that would stop you from enjoying it the way it was originally created.

B-Ri

Kyo said:
No, because obviously in these cases a 16:9 expanded FOV version doesn't make sense. What a concept, eh?

As I said before, the safe zones should optimally be set in ways to make an optional 16:9 version usable without seeing the camera crew, microphones and all that stuff.

This is a destruction on the level or colorizing b&w films :lol

Learn how to take a picture, shoot a film, and MAYBE you'll realize how silly your notion is.

Kyo said:
I don't care about artistic choices if they hamper my personal enjoyment of a movie. If I want to watch that horror movie with higher brightness levels, that's my choice and I don't see how that would stop you from enjoying it the way it was originally created.

if proper intended aspect ratio that is so incredibly important stops you from watching movies, then good luck sir.

Good luck with those straight to DVD/Blu-Ray movies, cause those will be the only ones to fit your entire screen standard.

As an aspiring cinematographer, you sir are trying to destroy my art.

Kyo

Liabe Brave said:
Use the "Zoom" button on your TV remote or disc player, and quit trying to build the cost of your preference into the industry.

Sadly, neither my BD player (a PS3) nor my TV (a Pioneer Kuro) offer options to zoom the Blu-ray picture to a full 16:9 screen without distorting it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
BrokenSymmetry said:
Can we focus on this again? I'm actually excited about how this will be concluded! Any more twists to be expected?

Unrealistic body proportions are ruining my self esteem, I want to go back to composite!

*Cue that Twilight Zone episode where everyone has pig faces and the beautiful ones are the outcasts.*

Kyo said:
If I want to watch that horror movie with higher brightness levels, that's my choice and I don't see how that would stop you from enjoying it the way it was originally created.
Yes, and that's a choice you make by adjusting your TV settings. I have no problem if you achieve "every pixel lit!" by using the zoom function on your TV. But it's ridiculous to demand a revolution in the entire production strategy for all Hollywood movies simply to satisfy your personal tastes.

Edit: On the Kuro neither "Zoom" nor "Cinema" mode does this? I don't own one myself, but I'd think one of those two settings would work.

Raistlin

Kyo said:

Oh, THAT's what you're talking about :lol

I can't even imagine watching a movie with boons all over the periphery :p

Regardless, I believe there are a decent amount of films natively shot greater than 16x9, even without matting?

Raistlin

Kyo said:

So you can only enjoy a movie if you see boon mics hanging over the characters?

Kyo

B-Ri said:

This is a destruction on the level or colorizing b&w films :lol

Tell that to Christopher Nolan who somehow managed to shoot the biggest movie of the year while making sure it's maximally enjoyable in a variety of formats (Cinemascope, IMAX, 16:9).

Learn how to take a picture, shoot a film, and MAYBE you'll realize how silly your notion is.

That silly Nolan, maybe he should learn how to shoot films before pursuing such amateurish concepts. :lol

if proper intended aspect ratio that is so incredibly important stops you from watching movies, then good luck sir.

No, it doesn't. Where are you getting this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom