• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Insomniac games leaked

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So much for the artistic/creative side of game development when business decisions settle what all these people will be doing a full decade ahead...
Yeah, this outlook is pretty messed up. Truly gives you an insight into how creatively bankrupt the AAA artistry and originality has become. You can imagine its a similar deal in other AAA studios.
Thats what happens when big business is involved. And for things like gaming and movies where there's giant budgets and it takes years to make something, it's all about focusing on the tried and true stuff. Risky products will be side projects.

On the other hand, when stakes are lower and more flexible you can have a mass manufacturing factory churning out 30 kinds of cookies, cakes, and pies. Two days churn out shit loads of this stuff, then two days making tons of other stuff, then 3 days making the rest kind of thing.

So even though the most popular cookies are chocolate chip and oatmeal, you still get enough variety so a machine can churn out for 3 hours of the week some cranberry lemon cookies with coconut sprinkles even though it sells 1/10th what chocolate chip sells.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looking at the leaked schedule, one thing that sticks out is that (unless things change) Wolverine is just one game. One and done.

R&C, Spiderman have sequels and even Xmen already has two games lined up.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not sure which is more depressing.

R&C losing money or having to wait practically a full decade for a new IP from Insomniac.
R&C didn't lose money. It had already made $64 million in profit by February 2022 -- which would be much higher now.

The $8m loss was projections. The game performed better than initially projected by Insomniac. The following image is directly from an Insomniac slide.

Screenshot_2023-12-20_040824.png

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's funny that when Insomniac's entire game roster for the next 8 years is leaked, it doesn't generate any excitement but only elicits "meh"s from everyone. It's clear that we would rather see a new IP in 2025/2026 than many more years of superhero games and another R&C game.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Imagine wasting this much talent on Marvel. Oh wait it's actually super woke Marvel. They get what they deserve I guess.
To be fair, Marvel games sell a ton of copies. The rest of Insomniac's gaming library doesn't. Thats why they got bought out by Sony a year after Spiderman 1 and immediately got pigeonholed as a superhero studio for at least a decade.

The roadmap says they got New IP1 and New IP2 coming in the 2030s. But those just might be more Marvel games as the contract states Sony/Marvel have targets to hit in 2035, with sales results being tabulated by 2038.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's funny that when Insomniac's entire game roster for the next 8 years is leaked, it doesn't generate any excitement but only elicits "meh"s from everyone. It's clear that we would rather see a new IP in 2025/2026 than many more years of superhero games and another R&C game.
IDK, some of those "meh" were pretty excited about Blade by a company that put out a total turd earlier this year. I wonder why that is?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
When the hell is Hellblade 2 coming out? It’s been “coming out soon” for what seems like two years

They might do what the MCU did for super hero fatigue at the movies, right down to splitting games into two parts to release in subsequent years.

Eiknarf

Banned
2024. No month or window.
Yeah cuz they're nervous and have the weight of the XBOX on their shoulders. They don't want to release something even slightly below "awesome". A lot is riding on Hellblade 2.

It better get a 92 Metascore or higher or they have to contemplate urinating in their mouth for nourishment

Alphagear

The same people were excited about Blade.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Man fuck Rachet give us resistance

Fuck yeah, I want to be one of the baddest Medics to grace the game (Resistance 2) once again! I would heal my team, keep them alive! And my kill count was comparative to top DPS.
I always got props from my teammates. LOL!
I miss this game.... ever day in the morning before work. GG.

VinnyMac

Fuck yeah, I want to be one of the baddest Medics to grace the game (Resistance 2) once again! I would heal my team, keep them alive! And my kill count was comparative to top DPS.
I always got props from my teammates. LOL!
I miss this game.... ever day in the morning before work. GG.
Lmao same! So much fun esp them big ass battles

And for things like gaming and movies where there's giant budgets and it takes years to make something, it's all about focusing on the tried and true stuff. Risky products will be side projects.
I think there are 2 points here:
  • This "low risk" projects with tried and true formula are also risky given that they have to predict that the same formula is not tired already by 5-10 years in the future when the game is released. I think thats why we some times see some flops from AAA games where they are still chasing a trend that died 3-5 years ago because of how long it took.
  • This stale state of "creativity" from AAA publishers opens up space for new comers to fill in the gaps with original content and becoming the next AAA publisher in the future, it is sad because some of this AAA publishers where the ones creating our childhood games that we love so they own the IP and there is nothing to do about it. But I think we should be more open to new original games that will have less budget, they will be more clunky but given some support can become the "new thing" that we will be looking for in the future instead of Assassins Creed 30.

Looks like there was a Resistance 4 on the table at one point, but it got canceled before being announced publicly.

mbRqWNO.jpg

kpfUO4e.png
Just noted the Resistance 4 detail. That's a huge disappointment. Holding out hope that Insomniac will reconsider and revise that decision some time.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Excited for NEW IP when I'm almost 50
Imagine being Ted Price running the company, he’s 55 now, he’ll make Marvel games until he retire. 😕

Oh well I’ll be playing for as long as my body allows me. 50 is nothing. My grandmother became 101.

Top Bottom