• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Insomniac games leaked

KXVXII9X

There are plenty of original ideas in these games though.

And the cash cows are equally important. If you only have ideas, with no cash, a studio can't function like this. We've seen numerous studios flop like this. With this money, they will be able to do another R&C (even though Rift Apart lost them $8 million) as well as 2 new IPs that most likely wouldn't be as successful as any of these Marvel games.
I mostly agree, but I would love to see these studios mix riskier, and creative projects with their bigger, blockbuster games. Insomniac is making all of these games and I'm sure they will be good, but they all feel super safe with no experimental project. Idk, it doesn't seem sustainable long term as people will burn out from Marvel games which is funny since there was a period where there was a huge drought of these kinds of games.

People can cry all they want but I'm happy because I want my Venom, Spidey, Wolverine, and X-Men games.

These games are gonna sell a ton as there are lots of people that have been begging for these superhero games for years just like me. The people complaining are a very small but vocal minority and I'm sure Sony knows that. It's not like Insomniac will lose their entire identity anyway. The calendar also shows new IPs as well as a new R&C game in the works.

Well, "a" new IP, not new IPs as in plural. And said new IP is sometime around 2031, almost ten years out.

I just wish Sony didn't completely gut their 1P AA development capacity. There should definitely be more balance for AAA and AA, with all of their big studios. The AA games would be a good means to test out new IP with riskier ideas to see if they can then grow into AAA mainline IPs settling on proven concepts, while you use the AAA concurrently for surefire hits.

It's one of the things with the current pipeline at SIE I'd really like to see improved.

So they're stuck as the Marvel machine for the near future.

Man that's such a bummer. I'm super disinterested in all these Marvel properties :|

Even X-Men? I'm prob most looking forward to the X-Men game from what's leaked. I'm a bigger X-Men fan than a Spiderman fan, FWIW.

PC market is very different from the console (PS) market so not surprised to see relatively low numbers from PC releases.

Yea. Most of them don't buy games, and the ones who do, most don't buy full price, waiting for deep sales before picking them up.

So the unit amounts are low and the revenue per unit sold is even worst IMO, when it comes to the PC performance of the games. And it does not look like an upward trajectory. Why risk bringing the traditional AAA current-gen to PC (especially with closer release dates between PS & PC) when the PC growth is slowing or decreasing?

At some point it stops being "free money" and becomes a hinderance to the main business. Seems like some of these games are already further out than initially thought in part because PC development is happening concurrently to the console versions in some capacity.

Last edited:

Hero_Select

Well, "a" new IP, not new IPs as in plural. And said new IP is sometime around 2031, almost ten years out.

I just wish Sony didn't completely gut their 1P AA development capacity. There should definitely be more balance for AAA and AA, with all of their big studios. The AA games would be a good means to test out new IP with riskier ideas to see if they can then grow into AAA mainline IPs settling on proven concepts, while you use the AAA concurrently for surefire hits.

It's one of the things with the current pipeline at SIE I'd really like to see improved.

Even X-Men? I'm prob most looking forward to the X-Men game from what's leaked. I'm a bigger X-Men fan than a Spiderman fan, FWIW.
I guess it depends what they do with it but eh. I got my X-Men fix with Midnight Suns. I'd just rather Insomniac really strut their stuff with a new IP, I'd be delighted to see what they come up with.

Flutta

Banned
Man. Insomniac is more than just a Marvel studio. I’d rather they moved up the Ratchet & new IP and push back all the Marvel stuff, after Wolverine.

Love it when Xbox fanbois pretend to care about insomniac and their mediocre IP's. I bet you already saw the leaked Inso docs about those Ratchets and whatnot barely make any money? and yet here you are wanting them to make more instead of Marvel IP's. I'm no fan of Marvel but i can still see why they would go for established franchises. Less risk + more money. Biz 101!

sono

Gold Member
Marvel's Venom in Fall 2025
Marvel's Wolverine in Fall 2026
Marvel's Spider-Man 3 in Fall 2028
New Ratchet & Clank in Fall 2029
Marvel's X-Men in Fall 2030
New IP in 2031/2032

Insomniac only doing Marvel content until the end of times smh...

R and C 2029 too long
And where is Resistance 4

I guess it depends what they do with it but eh. I got my X-Men fix with Midnight Suns. I'd just rather Insomniac really strut their stuff with a new IP, I'd be delighted to see what they come up with.

Midnight Suns isn't really the type of X-Men game I was looking forward to at all, honestly. But I guess it has its fans, that's cool.

I want something that feels as epic as how the cartoon made me feel back when I was a kid watching it. Inevitably that's gonna involve third-person, action-adventure stuff focused on combat, exploration and story. But I also hope there are (meaningful) RPG mechanics, challenging puzzles, and maybe some dashes of immersive elements in there too.

That could probably open up a lot of creative possibilities while still fitting the scope of a mainstream, big-budget X-Men game. And Insomniac are probably the best chance of getting it to happen.

KXVXII9X

I guess it puts into perspective the reason Jim Ryan wanted to pivot the entire PlayStation catalogue of developers towards creating GAAS games. Games like Spiderman and God of War are becoming more costly as times moves on and the risk of getting your money back becomes unfathomable.
The thing that still frustrates me with the discussions around cost is it always seems like one or the other and nothing in between. These studios could choose to make smaller scale games that makes great use of art direction/styles while still using all the modern tech and advanced lighting and particles and such and cut costs dramatically. There are so many unique gameplay ideas still not utilized that don't require open world or photorealistic depictions of cinematic movies that could still be A class in presentation. It seems like games can only be the big budget western AAA or indie and nothing in between. It is like there is no room for any game to deviate from the latest trends in this industry.

The thing that still frustrates me with the discussions around cost is it always seems like one or the other and nothing in between. These studios could choose to make smaller scale games that makes great use of art direction/styles while still using all the modern tech and advanced lighting and particles and such and cut costs dramatically. There are so many unique gameplay ideas still not utilized that don't require open world or photorealistic depictions of cinematic movies that could still be A class in presentation. It seems like games can only be the big budget western AAA or indie and nothing in between. It is like there is no room for any game to deviate from the latest trends in this industry.
Funny enough, Microsoft who has gone all-in on subscriptions and gets the most flak, is the one encouraging its devs to make smaller AA projects like Grounded and Penitent alongside larger AAA outings.

Very much agree with this. Again, it's maybe the only thing I will give Microsoft some props for with their roadmap, even if a lot of it was from buying up 3P devs and pubs: they have a good (on paper) balance of AAA and AA titles, and a few indie-style 1P as well.

In practice, well, it hasn't exactly been panning out. Starfield was their biggest AAA gamble for a good while and was at most only average, and a commercial letdown. Hellblade 2 looks pretty good, but I struggle to tell if it's upper AA or a smaller AAA style game; the vibes make me feel the former and that's good in and of itself, but after Starfield will that be enough? Avowed disappointed me heavily after the new update shown; even if it's a good game, the art style just isn't appealing. Forza Motorsport has been more or less a windfall of a botched game from top to bottom.

Conversely, at least among traditional titles Sony's roadmap for 1P-developed games seems much more AAA-focused, but the quality is a lot more consistent. Even so, it doesn't seem like the number of games is that much and they're taking longer to develop than ever, so it would REALLY be good if they had 1P AA titles to fill in the gaps. Instead they've been relying on a lot of 2P deals like with Rise of the Ronin, and timed exclusives for 3P AAA like with Final Fantasy. But, knowing Sony want to increase their profit margins, how sustainable are those approaches on their own?

The GaaS stuff was meant to help with that, but two of the biggest games they had going are either cancelled (Factions 2) or basically on ice (the Spiderman GaaS). Realistically, how big do they expect Helldivers 2, Fairgame$ or Concord to hit? So if the GaaS aren't going to be reliable in increasing things, and we can see the sales & revenue on PC are decreasing (therefore becoming less of a strategy worth pursuing), and the timed exclusives don't necessarily increase profit margins...wouldn't it make sense to bring back more 1P AA titles?

I guess in a way games like Miles Morales do fit that mold, but whether that becomes standard or not we have to wait and see. Even so, they are still tied to big AAA games with sequels taking 5-6 years to make, so it doesn't fully address the release schedule problem or margins issue in a consistent manner, unless they're releasing multiple Miles Morales-like expansions yearly alongside at least 1-2 new big AAA releases, maybe 1 GaaS, maybe 1-2 2P titles (AA and AAA) and 1-2 3P AA/AAA timed exclusives.

If Sony have to acquire a few more 3P studios or 1-2 3P publishers to get that type of expansion internally, then so be it. At the very least if those rumors about Sega & Bandai-Namco were true, at least they seem willing to try some AA 2P deals with big 3P devs/pubs, even leveraging some legacy IP in certain instances. That's a good sign.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Funny enough, Microsoft who has gone all-in on subscriptions and gets the most flak, is the one encouraging its devs to make smaller AA projects like Grounded and Penitent alongside larger AAA outings.
Sony's past game library (which gamers bring up had tons of different genres during PS3 era) was due to them trying to figure out which franchises were the heavy hitters they can keep churning out games. Aside from GT and GOW, the rest of the IPs were getting tested out to see which can be sequelized heavy hitters going forward.

They found them. To go along with GT and GOW:

- UC for a bit, but got taken over by LOU at ND
- LOU
- Horizon
- Spiderman/cape hero games

So as much as MS was labeled a Halo, Gears, Forza hub, Sony is no different. It's just that Sony took longer, since Sony's mistake back then was churning out too many shooters and racing games and genres (spread the sales and user base thin).

You can see Sony's appetite for sequel sales is no different than Nintendo, MS, EA, UBI etc.... And going by Insomniac's game plan, they are expected to churn out superhero games as fast as Assassins Creed sequels going all the way to the 2030s. Heck, I dont think UBI has even planned out 10 years of AC games for the next decade.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

The time and effort required for these smaller games is still many times larger than what it used to be, and that time and effort can be used to do anything else that will be more profitable and/or beneficial to the platform or publisher.

Time, especially, is finite.

Well for MS, gaming revenue means piss-all to them. They don't rely on gaming as a main pillar of their corporate revenue stream or profits; it accounts for less than 10% fiscally in both instances. Them spending $69 billion on ABK wasn't so much because they feel they "need" gaming for the bottom line, so much as going "Hey! We've got $69 billion just sitting around. We can get that back in a year. No biggie. So, uh, who "needs" the money?". And Phil Spencer raised his hand and said "I do! I dooo!!".

...More or less. Plus, that purchase wasn't really for Xbox but for Microsoft Gaming, we'll see how it goes from here. But back to the point, yeah gaming revenue isn't a main pillar for MS so they can afford to throw out random games like Pentiment and Grounded without worrying if returns are justifying the costs. Those games have cheap dev budgets and any money they would lose is a rounding error for Microsoft as a whole.

It doesn't really work like that for Sony who are less than 1/20th Microsoft's corporate size. So they have to be more considerate. That said, I think they could be doing AA software development quite better than they are at current, for sure.

KXVXII9X

Right! Despite all the issues I have with Microsoft, I really appreciate them supporting AA projects. They all aren't complete winners, but I like the diversity in the different kinds of games. I'm really enjoying HiFi Rush and excited for No Rest for the Wicked.

KXVXII9X

Very much agree with this. Again, it's maybe the only thing I will give Microsoft some props for with their roadmap, even if a lot of it was from buying up 3P devs and pubs: they have a good (on paper) balance of AAA and AA titles, and a few indie-style 1P as well.

In practice, well, it hasn't exactly been panning out. Starfield was their biggest AAA gamble for a good while and was at most only average, and a commercial letdown. Hellblade 2 looks pretty good, but I struggle to tell if it's upper AA or a smaller AAA style game; the vibes make me feel the former and that's good in and of itself, but after Starfield will that be enough? Avowed disappointed me heavily after the new update shown; even if it's a good game, the art style just isn't appealing. Forza Motorsport has been more or less a windfall of a botched game from top to bottom.

Conversely, at least among traditional titles Sony's roadmap for 1P-developed games seems much more AAA-focused, but the quality is a lot more consistent. Even so, it doesn't seem like the number of games is that much and they're taking longer to develop than ever, so it would REALLY be good if they had 1P AA titles to fill in the gaps. Instead they've been relying on a lot of 2P deals like with Rise of the Ronin, and timed exclusives for 3P AAA like with Final Fantasy. But, knowing Sony want to increase their profit margins, how sustainable are those approaches on their own?

The GaaS stuff was meant to help with that, but two of the biggest games they had going are either cancelled (Factions 2) or basically on ice (the Spiderman GaaS). Realistically, how big do they expect Helldivers 2, Fairgame$ or Concord to hit? So if the GaaS aren't going to be reliable in increasing things, and we can see the sales & revenue on PC are decreasing (therefore becoming less of a strategy worth pursuing), and the timed exclusives don't necessarily increase profit margins...wouldn't it make sense to bring back more 1P AA titles?

I guess in a way games like Miles Morales do fit that mold, but whether that becomes standard or not we have to wait and see. Even so, they are still tied to big AAA games with sequels taking 5-6 years to make, so it doesn't fully address the release schedule problem or margins issue in a consistent manner, unless they're releasing multiple Miles Morales-like expansions yearly alongside at least 1-2 new big AAA releases, maybe 1 GaaS, maybe 1-2 2P titles (AA and AAA) and 1-2 3P AA/AAA timed exclusives.

If Sony have to acquire a few more 3P studios or 1-2 3P publishers to get that type of expansion internally, then so be it. At the very least if those rumors about Sega & Bandai-Namco were true, at least they seem willing to try some AA 2P deals with big 3P devs/pubs, even leveraging some legacy IP in certain instances. That's a good sign.
Very well stated. It is a bit of a balancing act and anticipating where the market moves. Putting all their eggs in one basket isn't viable. I wouldn't mind Sony acquiring smaller third party developers if it would benefit both Sony and the 3P studio. I think I read somewhere that Sega wasn't interested in being required. I could be wrong. I really like what they are doing with their dormant IPs. I wish Sony did some of that.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Love it when Xbox fanbois pretend to care about insomniac and their mediocre IP's. I bet you already saw the leaked Inso docs about those Ratchets and whatnot barely make any money? and yet here you are wanting them to make more instead of Marvel IP's. I'm no fan of Marvel but i can still see why they would go for established franchises. Less risk + more money. Biz 101!
I like Insomniac. I’ve purchased most of their games, including their last two games, Spider-Man 2 and Ratchet & Clank RA. There was a poll a little while back, and I think Insomniac is easily Sony’s best first party studio.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Right, the most hard kept secrets from NetherRealm. :pie_eyeroll:

Oh we wonder what it could be!

Well Ed has said many times that they have numerous "pots on the stove" at NRS so it could've been a few different things. More likely than not though, after WB took over they forced NRS to convert the already in progress Injustice 3 to MK1. You can look at MK1 and there are many ways that it resembles more like an Injustice game than an MK game.

Very well stated. It is a bit of a balancing act and anticipating where the market moves. Putting all their eggs in one basket isn't viable. I wouldn't mind Sony acquiring smaller third party developers if it would benefit both Sony and the 3P studio. I think I read somewhere that Sega wasn't interested in being required. I could be wrong. I really like what they are doing with their dormant IPs. I wish Sony did some of that.

Yeah the games Sega announced at the VGAs was one of the highlights of the whole show IMO. Sounds like they're finally listening and seeing the newfound appreciation for their non-Sonic legacy titles among gamers. It's much better now than during the '00s, when lots of people were just shitting on Sega stuff in general legacy-wise. I thank Youtubers with an appreciation for Sega coming about the past ten years for having helped share more of the good of those legacy IP.

If Sega can bring back Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio with remakes, what's really stopping Sony from doing the same with IP like Dark Cloud, Parappa the Rapper/UmJammer Lammy, Jet Moto etc? I know they want to be associated with big blockbuster games but that doesn't have to come at the expense of smaller AA titles that would have much cheaper dev budgets, shorter dev times, and could be breakout hits in their own rights.

Like I just got a chance to look at the Rift Apart updated numbers. They went from ~ 500K or something like that early in the gen (maybe I'm confusing that with Returnal?) to almost 3 million more recently, if I read that data correctly. And that's just on PS5. Yes a good number of those copies were not sold at full price, but IMO any pseudo-platform that isn't Mario or Sonic moving more than 1 million copies is a big deal. So it kind of sucks the next R&C game is so far out. I dunno if the Venom game is an expansion or not, but if it is, it'd be great to have that and another R&C game or a similarly sized new IP from them, instead of waiting for something non-Marvel well into PS6 territory.

I just don't think that type of way is sustainable when it comes to having a good variety of 1P AAA and AA titles, between established and new IP. I'd much rather Sony tend to that than waste their time in the PC ports of non-GaaS titles, which seem to be dwindling in sales/revenue cap, not increasing.

Audiophile

Gold Member
insomlol.png

Crayon

Guys, they were just making ratchet and clank before. I can't imagine what it would be like to work at this studio knowing you have 10-20m selling games lined up for years.

Sorry if you were a big ratchet fan but think of this as paying for the other Sony games you like.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
I like Insomniac. I’ve purchased most of their games, including their last two games, Spider-Man 2 and Ratchet & Clank RA. There was a poll a little while back, and I think Insomniac is easily Sony’s best first party studio.

I used to like inso untill they went full woke. I remember that poll and me also voting on Inso lol. Their games are always fun to play most of them at least, but the market has spoken and those fun games aren't making any money and that's the sad part. :messenger_confounded:

Crayon

If they’re totally 100% happy and on board, then I think it’s cool. If Sony is making decisions for them to make these Marvel games, that’s where I think this sucks.

Word. I'm leaning on the side they are happy as pigs in shit. They made ratchet games for years that were more similar than these, and now the are on the way to being one of the most storied studios with a roadmap for guaranteed blockbusters... AND someone else paying for it lol. I couldn't imagine having it more made.

PSYGN

If they’re totally 100% happy and on board, then I think it’s cool. If Sony is making decisions for them to make these Marvel games, that’s where I think this sucks.
I have a feeling they were initially ok with it, Spiderman tech is fun, but as creatives they probably don't want to do superhero stuff back-to-back-to-back. They probably want to merge in these technologies to create something they can call their own. But that's business I guess, gotta keep the lights on. Maybe a string of these can bring enough profit to create their own thing... oh hey, I guess that's R&C in 2030.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Guys, they were just making ratchet and clank before. I can't imagine what it would be like to work at this studio knowing you have 10-20m selling games lined up for years.

Sorry if you were a big ratchet fan but think of this as paying for the other Sony games you like.
Insomniac released a shitload of new IP last gen before the buyout.

Obviously Spider-Man was crazy successful and they want to double down on that. I have no problem with it, I love those games. But let's not act like they were just making R&C when they made Sunset Overdrive, Edge of nowhere, Stormland and a bunch of other stuff.

SenkiDala

So they're stuck as the Marvel machine for the near future.

Man that's such a bummer. I'm super disinterested in all these Marvel properties :|
Even if I wouldn't say I'm disinterested, I can say that I can pass on them without any regrets, I liked Spider-Man, it is cool, but not memorable, I haven't bought SM2 yet and I'm fine with it. I am disappointed too to see them focusing just on that. :/

Crayon

Insomniac released a shitload of new IP last gen before the buyout.

Obviously Spider-Man was crazy successful and they want to double down on that. I have no problem with it, I love those games. But let's not act like they were just making R&C when they made Sunset Overdrive, Edge of nowhere, Stormland and a bunch of other stuff.

They were definitely trying. If I missed anything, it would be the vr games. There was also Fuse, and several mobile/browser/arg. It would be nice if they were able to work on the smaller stuff still, but ratchet was definitely the specialty of the house for a good while there.

If they had hit it big with something other than spiderman, maybe they'd be making something I like better, or multiple things of which one I would like better. The truth is though, there's no way they could have hit it bigger than this. Anything that was a guaranteed smash hit over and over would have made them and "X-Factory".

They've always made really high quality games, but nothing they ever made lit my world on fire. So it's easy for me to say I don't mind all, or most, of their future games being licensed.

Stooky

It’s kinda sad if you're saying this as an AAA dev.
not sad at all it’s keeping my insomniac homies working and paid thats what i like. the devs i know working on those projects are dream projects that they have always wanted to work on, from their mouth. nothing sad about it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They were definitely trying. If I missed anything, it would be the vr games. There was also Fuse, and several mobile/browser/arg. It would be nice if they were able to work on the smaller stuff still, but ratchet was definitely the specialty of the house for a good while there.

If they had hit it big with something other than spiderman, maybe they'd be making something I like better, or multiple things of which one I would like better. The truth is though, there's no way they could have hit it bigger than this. Anything that was a guaranteed smash hit over and over would have made them and "X-Factory".

They've always made really high quality games, but nothing they ever made lit my world on fire. So it's easy for me to say I don't mind all, or most, of their future games being licensed.
Given Insomniac's history of success levels, they do best when a big publisher gives them a license of characters, a budget to work with, and the publisher does the marketing. It can lead to big sales.

When they go it alone with their own multiplat IPs or VR stuff, it bombs.

I can why Ted Price sold to Sony. And why Sony wanted them too.

Crayon

Given Insomniac's history of success levels, they do best when a big publisher gives them a license of characters, a budget to work with, and the publisher does the marketing. It can lead to big sales.

When they go it alone with their own multiplat IPs or VR stuff, it bombs.

I can why Ted Price sold to Sony. And why Sony wanted them too.

That does seem to be the pattern. Early last gen they were trying to break out from under sony for a bit before... well before they signed it all away lol. No way to tell if it was just bad luck or if it's them but you're right it's a long history of doing their best work with major backing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That does seem to be the pattern. Early last gen they were trying to break out from under sony for a bit before... well before they signed it all away lol. No way to tell if it was just bad luck or if it's them but you're right it's a long history of doing their best work with major backing.
They are a risk averse company. So it akes sense Ted Price sold out so they can continue making big games.

When Fuse bombed (it doesn't look like that game was a giant budget buster to begin with), what did Insomniac after on their own? Mobile and VR games. Soon after, Sony bought them out and now they are in charge of big budget Marvel games since they did a good job with Spiderman.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I mostly agree, but I would love to see these studios mix riskier, and creative projects with their bigger, blockbuster games. Insomniac is making all of these games and I'm sure they will be good, but they all feel super safe with no experimental project. Idk, it doesn't seem sustainable long term as people will burn out from Marvel games which is funny since there was a period where there was a huge drought of these kinds of games.
I see your point, but I think we gotta see Insomniac as a small part of the overall PlayStation Studios portfolio. They are not independent anymore, so they are serving a bigger purpose here.

Insomniac is the type of studio for PlayStation that can deliver cash cows at a quick pace. That brings money into PS Studios that PlayStation can then spend on riskier projects, e.g., PS VR 2 project or externally funded projects for new studios (e.g., Ballistic Moons) or HouseMarque's new IP.

It doesn't look as bad or unplanned when we look at the overall big picture.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's no different than office life.

A big company selling to Walmart will have a team of account managers and support staff.

If they do a good job, what should the company do? Keep them in the department to keep it going? Or if other accounts pop up to shift some of them over assuming they can bring their skills to the other account team to prop them up?

Hard to say because I've seen it go both ways. Some good people will be asked to help out another team. Other times, the person has to ask the boss if they can change teams because they want to try something new since they've been in the Walmart account team for 6 years already.

Looking at Insomniac's roadmap, it looks like it's Marvel games for basically the next decade until their unknown New IP #1 and New IP #2 pop up in the 2030s.

Last edited:
not sad at all it’s keeping my insomniac homies working and paid thats what i like. the devs i know working on those projects are dream projects that they have always wanted to work on, from their mouth. nothing sad about it.
I can understand the part about getting paid to keep a roof over your head. The part that baffles me is that they wouldn't want to create something of their own. Its no wonder AAA is completely stifled in terms of originality when this is the motivation the average AAA dev possess.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
Then you're one of the main people ruining the hobby, people who focus too much on sales and what's profitable over what you actually want to play. Are you actually a gamer or a Sony Stockholder?
Can't continue to make creative stuff if said creative stuff doesn't sell enough to pay the salaries of its creators and fund improvements to tech etc.

This isn't the Renaissance era where you had rich patrons paying artists to just create.

Ratchet and Clank's budget is what was really eye-popping to me.

Everyone saying Insomniac should do more RC and less marvel clearly doesn't understand business.
Seems like it actually performed decently well judging by that other slide with sell through data tho?

Can't continue to make creative stuff if said creative stuff doesn't sell enough to pay the salaries of its creators and fund improvements to tech etc.

This isn't the Renaissance era where you had rich patrons paying artists to just create.

Seems like it actually performed decently well judging by that other slide with sell through data tho?

When it comes to ROI the biggest thing that needs consideration is time. It's also about the opportunity costs.

Ratchet and Clank just isn't a big enough game to warrant the time invested by Insomniac at this point.

That's the position so many of Sony's studios are in right now and kind of the industry in general.

How many Ratchet and Clank games does Insomniac have to sell to make a profit of one Spider-Man game? How long will it take to make that many Ratchet and Clank games?

It's basically a 10:1 ratio.

Top Bottom