• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future putting out a Metal Gear Anthology book (148pgs - HC limited to 1000 copies)

illusionary

I was passing through my local WH Smith earlier and happened to notice that they now have the paperback edition in stock, so it;s definitely now available.

25044.jpg

I didn't get the chance for any interior shots, I'm afraid. From a quick flick through it though, to be honest I'm not sure how much it now appeals.

realcZk

I was passing through my local WH Smith earlier and happened to notice that they now have the paperback edition in stock, so it;s definitely now available.

I didn't get the chance for any interior shots, I'm afraid. From a quick flick through it though, to be honest I'm not sure how much it now appeals.

Wow that looks super thin, is there much content inside?

The paperback cover looks so much better.

illusionary

It was somewhere in the range of 100-150 pages IIRC, so it's not insubstantial. Roughly the same size as a typical issue of PC Gamer, for comparison.

25044.jpg

Good to know. I've got a feeling it's not worth it, so I'll have to check my local WH Smith as well.

It really does feel like the end for Metal Gear. With Kojima moving on and Konami turning into a joke, this is pretty much it and this book kind of reflects that.

I'm legit mad someone actually thought that hard cover looks good.

When one thinks about iconography for Metal Gear, it sure as hell ain't the stupid stencil of some dude saluting from the disavowed Portable Ops.

A simple "!" would have worked, or a cardboard box or maybe even a ration? Heck, a bandanna or The Boss's gravestone to underpin how it really is the end for the series under Kojima.

But you never know, maybe the Future people thought that this would be the most painless art asset to use on the cover and not get a veto from Konami people who oversee this sort of thing.

When one thinks about iconography for Metal Gear, it sure as hell ain't the stupid stencil of some dude saluting from the disavowed Portable Ops.

A simple "!" would have worked, or a cardboard box or maybe even a ration? Heck, a bandanna or The Boss's gravestone to underpin how it really is the end for the series under Kojima.

But you never know, maybe the Future people thought that this would be the most painless art asset to use on the cover and not get a veto from Konami people who oversee this sort of thing.

Agreed a red exclamation point on a white or black cover would of been simple and a far better design decision.

illusionary

It was somewhere in the range of 100-150 pages IIRC, so it's not insubstantial. Roughly the same size as a typical issue of PC Gamer, for comparison.
Update - 146 pages.

Oh shit, I totally forgot I ordered this. Are they shipping it out now?
Not as far as I can tell, though it was supposed to be shipping on Friday last week. I had an order in myself that I've been looking to cancel - no reply yet to my email, which had included a request for a shipping status update.

illusionary

Or not, apparently...

Dear xxx,

Thank you for your recent email.

Unfortunately this publication was actually cancelled and not published. I am very sorry about the inconvenience - I know this must be disappointing. The money should have already been refunded, please check your bank account.

If there is anything else that I can help you with please don’t hesitate to contact me.

For and on behalf of Future Publishing

Sian McDonnell
Email Customer Services

That's a reply to an email that I sent to them asking about the status. Nice of them to think about telling us!

robotrock

Banned
Or not, apparently...

Dear xxx,

Unfortunately this publication was actually cancelled and not published. I am very sorry about the inconvenience - I know this must be disappointing. The money should have already been refunded, please check your bank account.

If there is anything else that I can help you with please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Sian McDonnell
Email Customer Services

That's a reply to an email that I sent to them asking about the status. Nice of them to think about telling us!

Jesus Christ

goonergaz

wait what? the website is still selling both!? lol

so are we saying the hardback is cancelled and therefore no limited edition?

goonergaz

so what's the cancellation email above about? is the hardback confirmed to be what's shown?

I'm tempted to buy both and then decide when they turn up which to keep

Or not, apparently...

Dear xxx,

Sian McDonnell
Email Customer Services

Wow. Never even got notification of that at all - thanks for posting it. Bizarre they still have the page open for orders though.

KingConan

I thought (and hoped) the cover is still a placeholder. Ordered my copy in June and didn't get any notification nor a refund.
The condition for this hardback edition being released was a minimum of 200 pre-ordered copies, so problably this goal hasn't been reached yet.

I thought (and hoped) the cover is still a placeholder. Ordered my copy in June and didn't get any notification nor a refund.
The condition for this hardback edition being released was a minimum of 200 pre-ordered copies, so problably this goal hasn't been reached yet.

It wouldn't hurt letting people who did order the book know about a cancellation or delay, wouldn't it?

Huh, I must be the only one that likes the hardcover. I have a million MGS things with Shinkawa art, and I liked the simplicity of the cover, so it doesn't bother me one bit.

I will be sad if they are truly cancelling the hardcovers.

Huh, I must be the only one that likes the hardcover. I have a million MGS things with Shinkawa art, and I liked the simplicity of the cover, so it doesn't bother me one bit.

I will be sad if they are truly cancelling the hardcovers.

The softcover art makes it look like a monthly magazine with all the text on there, the hardcover art makes it look more like a reference work.

The softcover art makes it look like a monthly magazine with all the text on there, the hardcover art makes it look more like a reference work.

Yeah, as much as I like the art chosen on the softcover, it's appearance and layout is really off-putting. I still wish they opted for a different hardcover art though. Portable Ops? That's really bizarre cover choice.

I know nothing about Golden Joystick, but I just ordered a HC copy because it's Metal Gear. (!) I would prefer different cover art though.

illusionary

Author says the hardcover is still happening.

Comminaction - how did I pull that one off?

Thanks - further email sent. Let's see what they come back with this time!

They've now confirmed their error - so yep, the hardback's still coming.

------------------
Dear xxx,

Please accept my apologies for the incorrect information provided. A similar product was cancelled which is where I think the confusion came from

This item will be despatched from 7th august

Nicola Reigate

------------------

illusionary

There's a further delay to the dispatch date:
-----------------
Golden Joystick Presents Metal Gear Solid Hardback Edition - Important Information

Thank you for pre-ordering Golden Joystick Presents: Metal Gear Solid Hardback Edition.

We have a new dispatch date for this item and are endeavouring to have it sent to you as soon as possible.

The expected dispatch date for Golden Joystick Presents: Metal Gear Solid Hardback Edition is now 13th August 2015.

Apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and we appreciate your patience.

Compiled by the world's leading MGS writers and community members, Golden Joystick Presents: Metal Gear Solid is a 148-page tribute to the acclaimed game series and its legendary creator Hideo Kojima, in advance of the hotly-anticipated release of MGSV: The Phantom Pain on September 1st.

If you have any questions you can contact us:

Email: contact@myfavouritemagazines.co.uk
Telephone: UK: 0844 848 2852 International: +44 1604 251 045

Best Regards,

The MyFavouriteMagazines Team

-----------------
Golden Joystick Presents Metal Gear Solid Hardback Edition - Important Information

Thank you for pre-ordering Golden Joystick Presents: Metal Gear Solid Hardback Edition.

We have a new dispatch date for this item and are endeavouring to have it sent to you as soon as possible.

The expected dispatch date for Golden Joystick Presents: Metal Gear Solid Hardback Edition is now 13th August 2015.

That's a shame, I leave the country for an extended period on the 13th and so won't be able to receive this. Very disappointing they weren't able to get this together in time.

-----------------

Apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused you and we appreciate your patience.

Compiled by the world's leading MGS writers and community members, Golden Joystick Presents: Metal Gear Solid is a 148-page tribute to the acclaimed game series and its legendary creator Hideo Kojima, in advance of the hotly-anticipated release of MGSV: The Phantom Pain on September 1st.

If you have any questions you can contact us:

Email: contact@myfavouritemagazines.co.uk
Telephone: UK: 0844 848 2852 International: +44 1604 251 045

Best Regards,

The MyFavouriteMagazines Team

Running out of time to be out "in advance of the hotly-anticipated release of MGSV: The Phantom Pain on September 1st".

illusionary

Running out of time to be out "in advance of the hotly-anticipated release of MGSV: The Phantom Pain on September 1st".

Yeah, it does give them something of a 'final' deadline that they need to meet... unless they just base that off the paperback version's availability, I suppose.

Also, how on earth did we finally get so close to The Phantom Pain's release date? Not that that's a bad thing, of course!

sw26

I (apparently) have a hard back on the way but had a quick flick through the paperback version in my local WH Smith when I was out and about this morning.

Looks like it will be a decent read, it did look like a glorified magazine special issue but seemed to have a decent amount of written content and wasn't padded out with bare picture pages or other wasted space.

I was also interested to note a contributor credit for George Weidman of Youtube Super Bunnyhop fame, which is a good thing imo as I am a big fan of his 'Critical Close Up' videos on the series.

Looking forward to my copy arriving.

Top Bottom