• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

riflen

I don't have Wolfenstein but I have come across other games where gsync just does not work. Gsync definitely doesn't work with every single game out there, which is a shame.

This is true, but Wolfenstein: The New Order is definitely compatible with G-Sync. The problem is caused by his configuration.
Dries, I suggest making your setup as basic as possible.

-Disconnect any other displays.
-Set G-Sync to Full Screen only mode in NVCP.
-Set Monitor Technology to G-Sync in the game's NVCP 3D profile.
-Close any non-essential software applications and utilities.
-Make sure the game is not running in a windowed mode.
-Disable VSync in the game's menus.

Dries

Make sure it's set to fullscreen and not borderless window.

Check.

This is true, but Wolfenstein: The New Order is definitely compatible with G-Sync. The problem is caused by his configuration.

Thanks, I'll try this.

Just bought an XL2420G (BenQ, 24" 1080p G-Sync).

I've immediately noticed how incredibly smooth games are, most notably Diablo 3 (which had heavy tearing) and Tomb Raider..which feels like butter when rotating the camera, on top of no screen tearing as well.

My only gripe so far is that for some reason video / movie playback is broken for me. I'm getting some weird excessive blur effect. It's not even remotely subtle, it feels like the video is wobbling / morphing occasionally. This issue seems exclusively G-Sync / monitor related, as when I move the video to my other monitor (Dual monitor) playback is fine. Google isn't able to help what-so-ever, as any mention of blur or G-Sync just brings up thousands of pages of marketing bullshit for various monitors or reviews of monitors.

I use KCP & MadVR, but once again...it seems an issue related solely to G-Sync / this monitor.

I've immediately noticed how incredibly smooth games are, most notably Diablo 3 (which had heavy tearing) and Tomb Raider..which feels like butter when rotating the camera, on top of no screen tearing as well.

My only gripe so far is that for some reason video / movie playback is broken for me. I'm getting some weird excessive blur effect. It's not even remotely subtle, it feels like the video is wobbling / morphing occasionally. This issue seems exclusively G-Sync / monitor related, as when I move the video to my other monitor (Dual monitor) playback is fine. Google isn't able to help what-so-ever, as any mention of blur or G-Sync just brings up thousands of pages of marketing bullshit for various monitors or reviews of monitors.

I use KCP & MadVR, but once again...it seems an issue related solely to G-Sync / this monitor.

That's really strange, I haven't experienced anything like that at all. Have you checked to see what your desktop settings are at? Is it possible the player you are using is doing something weird to interpolate the video so that it matches your desktop Hz (which I assume is 120 or 144hz)?

Aranath

Well, I'm returning my Gsync monitor today. I bought the BenQ XL2420G and had too many problems. Ordering it from Germany to save 100 euros was making getting replacements a rather difficult process, so I've just given up and I'm sending my latest replacement back for a full refund. Rather frustrating going back to non-Gsync now, but oh well.

I think I'll hold on to my cash until later in the year and look at grabbing something else then. Maybe there'll be a price drop in the interim.

My only gripe so far is that for some reason video / movie playback is broken for me. I'm getting some weird excessive blur effect. It's not even remotely subtle, it feels like the video is wobbling / morphing occasionally.

Do you have gsync enabled for windowed mode? I've had some less than good experiences with that in certain programs, but not video specifically.

So I have a 24" 1080p 144Hz BenQ XL2411T monitor without G-Sync and have been seeing people mention G-Sync for a while now.

I don't know if I should update to a larger monitor with a larger resolution with G-Sync.

Someone convince me, because I'm unsure at the moment. Can't imagine it being much of a difference.

Vertti

I need a new tv and a new monitor. I prefer coach gaming so how awesome would be to have a 40 inch g sync monitor so I wouldn't need a new tv at all. 32 inch monitors are the biggest ones right now, am I correct? 27 inch is maybe a bit small.

I don't watch tv at all. Just use internet for watching tv shows and aports and play with my wii U. Are g sync monitors suitable for consoles? I know you can't use g sync with them but that's okay.

d0g_bear

Canada computers is selling refurbished models of the xb270hu for only 649 CAD - there's about 14 left in their stock tracker. I might pull the trigger at that price, but I'm kind of nervous - maybe they were returned from the original owner because they had dead pixels - can they do that?

BreakAtmo

I really do hope the PS4 Slim gets a DisplayPort output and FreeSync. I can't imagine it would be hard to do. It might not be considered worth it given the lack of people who connect their PS4 to anything other than a TV, but couldn't Sony drop a line to the TV manufacturers early on in the PS4 Slim development process and let them know what they were doing? Then they could get on to adding DP and FreeSync to their next line of TVs, probably with some kind of PS4 Slim Ready/Smooth Gaming/etc. branding.

Vuze

I need a new tv and a new monitor. I prefer coach gaming so how awesome would be to have a 40 inch g sync monitor so I wouldn't need a new tv at all. 32 inch monitors are the biggest ones right now, am I correct? 27 inch is maybe a bit small.

I don't watch tv at all. Just use internet for watching tv shows and aports and play with my wii U. Are g sync monitors suitable for consoles? I know you can't use g sync with them but that's okay.
Current Gsync monitors only have a DisplayPort connection, so you can't connect any consoles at all. Upcoming models will have DisplayPort and HDMI but it has yet to be seen if this has any influence on input lag etc.
Canada computers is selling refurbished models of the xb270hu for only 649 CAD - there's about 14 left in their stock tracker. I might pull the trigger at that price, but I'm kind of nervous - maybe they were returned from the original owner because they had dead pixels - can they do that?
I guess so, a German store has been doing the very same thing when they had no new stock. They gave a detailed descriptions of the flaws tho.

SparkTR

I really do hope the PS4 Slim gets a DisplayPort output and FreeSync. I can't imagine it would be hard to do. It might not be considered worth it given the lack of people who connect their PS4 to anything other than a TV, but couldn't Sony drop a line to the TV manufacturers early on in the PS4 Slim development process and let them know what they were doing? Then they could get on to adding DP and FreeSync to their next line of TVs, probably with some kind of PS4 Slim Ready/Smooth Gaming/etc. branding.

They could try, but TV manufacturers don't give a shit about what's good for gaming.

Done a bit of research and think I'd like to get a 2560 x 1440 G-Sync monitor. What ones do people recommend? I'm seeing a lot of the Asus PG278Q.

SparkTR

Done a bit of research and think I'd like to get a 2560 x 1440 G-Sync monitor. What ones do people recommend? I'm seeing a lot of the Asus PG278Q.

The Asus one and the Acer XB270H (?) are the main ones mentioned. The Asus one has faster response times and is 3D Vision compatible for 3D gaming, while the Acer one has better colours and viewing angles due to it being an IPS display.

Vuze

Either wait for the PG279Q (1440p, 144hz, IPS, DP + HDMI, "late summer 2015") or get the Acer Predator XB270HU (1440p, 144hz, IPS, DP) for a few extra bucks over the PG278Q. It's worth it, I'll never go back to TN :D

btw I think I asked in the other thread, but I can enable 3D Vision settings in my Nvidia Control Panel and in-game when Gsync is off (for example GTAV offers a few settings) on my XB270HU. So maybe newer models 3D Vision compatible after all despite Acer not mentioning it (like 120Hz ULMB). Don't have a 3D Vision kit, so I can't test, maybe it's just a bug.

Water

Sure they can. Enthusiast forums where people inspect new displays with a loupe and try to exchange a display if it is anything less than perfect may have given you the wrong impression of what the actual quality standards are in the industry. Dead subpixels, if not whole pixels, are normal on a consumer grade display. The standard of what amount of dead or stuck pixels/subpixels constitutes a faulty display depends on the manufacturer. I personally wouldn't care about dead subpixels if spread apart (never noticed them in actual use, whether I knew where they were or not) but would be a bit bummed out if there were whole dead pixels, esp. in prominent locations.

Second hand info says Acer has an unusually high tolerance for dead pixels, so with this display anything goes. I hope the number refers to subpixels and not full pixels though.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27859324&postcount=363

BreakAtmo

They could try, but TV manufacturers don't give a shit about what's good for gaming.

Possibly, but I doubt the FreeSync addition would be super-costly. It would be another easy way to market their products and make them more appealing to a particular demographic.

I guess its something you'll have to see to really get.

But unless it was super egregious minor screen tearing never really bothered me.

I wonder if there's any demo kiosks I can check out around here.

Water

Sony themselves might actually be motivated to build variable sync TVs due to their dual position as a game console and TV manufacturer. If they did, it'd probably make sense for them to do it with standard Adaptive Sync instead of just trying to force a couple of high end PS4 customers to buy a Sony TV. Adaptive Sync support on a high end TV would likely sell more TVs to PC gamers than to PS4 gamers.

SparkTR

I guess its something you'll have to see to really get.

But unless it was super egregious minor screen tearing never really bothered me.

I wonder if there's any demo kiosks I can check out around here.

The reason I like it is mainly because it allows a no compromise approach to video issues that hindered gameplay. Before there was always something that came between the game and myself.

For example games sometimes have horrific screen tearing, you can remove that with V-Sync but around 60% of the time that introduced arguably worse input lag especially with mouse-centric games like shooters. Screen tearing (and stuttering) is also usually indicative of a fluctuating framerate, which could also be fixed by limiting the framerate. However, you can't limit a framerate to something like 45fps as that won't do jack shit for the screen tearing, so you'd have to set it at 30fps and that absolutely sucked compared to the 45-70fps you were getting before.

G-sync/Freesync just throws all that compromise and distractions between the player and the game out. 40fps-75fps fluctuations feel smooth, screen tearing is gone, input lag is gone. It's just the game that's left.

That's really strange, I haven't experienced anything like that at all. Have you checked to see what your desktop settings are at? Is it possible the player you are using is doing something weird to interpolate the video so that it matches your desktop Hz (which I assume is 120 or 144hz)?

Yeah, refresh is set to 144hz. I set the refresh to 60hz...and that seems to have fixed it. I wonder what setting regarding the player is causing that, I'm stumped...even after searching in the options menu. It's Media Player Classic. I have absolutely no idea how this stuff works, only what the recommended codec pack is...and double-click to play.

Do you have gsync enabled for windowed mode? I've had some less than good experiences with that in certain programs, but not video specifically.

Yeah, I use G-Sync in Windowed mode, as I often run certain games in Bordless / Windowed. I'll try and alter it, see if that's causing it.

EDIT: Turns out it's the fresh rate not playing nice with my video player.

riflen

DisplayPort on TVs and consumer electronics like games consoles is not likely to happen, in my opinion. There will be a handful of TVs with a DP, but mostly it is not important for manufacturers or most customers.
These interfaces exist for a reason and are designed to best fit the devices that drive them and the display panel used in the product.

DisplayPort is a computer connection and like DVI and Analogue VGA before it, can be implemented free of charge. But, its direction is influenced by the computer industry and computer manufacturing industry.
HDMI is controlled by a consortium of interested parties that make consumer electronics and there is a royalty fee to implement it in your product. It also has the support of many big content producers that influence its direction with regards to its suitability for media consumption. Why add the cost of another connector when HDMI is entrenched and does what they need?

Lastly, and most importantly, a display with variable refresh technology is not simple to make. The properties of the panel itself are vitally important. The huge majority are manufactured to operate without artifacting at 60Hz alone. For variable refresh to be worthwhile, the panel and the electronics that drive it, must be able to deal with what happens when the refresh rate changes.

If you research FreeSync monitors right now, you'll learn that there are problems with the image quality in variable mode. These problems partly stem from the choice of panel and components by manufacturers and partly from the lack of a mechanism to uniquely alter the voltage to the panel pixels. It's completely possible to do this without a hardware module. You can run a shader on the GPU to take care of the calculations (I think it involves the prediction of frame times), but the problem with that approach is that the GPU has no idea what the panel's properties are (no two panels will be completely identical).

The other guys (Nvidia) involved in variable refresh desktop displays have chosen to solve this problem by providing a programmable module to display manufacturers. This allows the manufacturers to tune the module's behaviour to the individual panel and avoid the artifacts that occur when the refresh rate changes. I believe Nvidia also have some kind of panel selection criteria that display manufacturers have to adere to. This is a kind of work-around for the varying properties of panels and the vast array of manufacturers and quality control practices.

With the module, Nvidia can say; 'if you want to create a product around this tech, you have to follow these guidelines.'
Without that module and using technology that's based on a standard that's free to implement, what we're seeing so far is that AMD can only suggest the best course of action and the display manufacturers can basically do whatever they want, to varying degrees of success.
Eventually, the display industry might learn to sort this out themselves, but holy shit are they historically slow to adapt.

Of course, Sony is quite uniquely positioned to make all this happen with the PS4 and their own TVs. But a further question remains; is it worth it when most games on the platform target 30 fps and probably feature triple-buffered output?

It's Media Player Classic. I have absolutely no idea how this stuff works, only what the recommended codec pack is...and double-click to play.

EDIT: Turns out it's the fresh rate not playing nice with my video player.

Go into View->Options and choose Output. Under DirectShow Video you can choose between different renderers. I use the one called Enhanced Video Renderer and that has worked well with Gsync and 144hz (on my setup at least). If that doesn't do the trick, you might try if any of the others work better. Also, I think you need to reload the video between the different renderers to try out the settings.

Water

It will not work or do any good on consoles, they'll never run a game at more than 60fps.

Variable sync is more important at sub-60 framerates than above. It might even be said to be more important for consoles than PCs since consoles do not offer the option of tweaking settings or hardware to adjust the experience. Many a game the devs have locked to 30FPS to prevent stuttering might actually run at 30-60 with a 45ish average if unlocked. In that scenario adaptive sync support on the console would allow showing the player 50% more frames if the player chooses to get a variable sync display. That is a massive improvement which wouldn't raise the cost of the console, and could be effortless for the devs to activate.

Higher FPS is not beyond the capabilities of the hardware either. For a bunch of smaller titles, ports and remasters that do not stress the HW, 120FPS mode would take little effort to add, and would serve as a nice point of differentiation. If TVs and projectors capable of handling >60FPS were more prevalent, and were officially recognized by Sony, we'd definitely see a bunch of games doing this. Even back on PS3, Super Stardust HD was rendering stereoscopic 3D with 720p@60 per eye, effectively 120FPS.

lazygecko

I got the Acer XB240H as per vuze's recommendation. Very happy with the performance so far. Unfortunately it still seems to bes suffering from visible color banding, which was one of the things I was hoping to get rid of. I use the animated transparent smoke in Skyrim's menu and loading screens as a benchmark for this, and it still looks fucking hideous :-/

It feels impossible for me to research this problem as it seems hardly anyone ever talks about it, and it's never brought up in specifications.

Qassim

The other guys (Nvidia) involved in variable refresh desktop displays have chosen to solve this problem by providing a programmable module to display manufacturers. This allows the manufacturers to tune the module's behaviour to the individual panel and avoid the artifacts that occur when the refresh rate changes. I believe Nvidia also have some kind of panel selection criteria that display manufacturers have to adere to. This is a kind of work-around for the varying properties of panels and the vast array of manufacturers and quality contol practices.

With the module, Nvidia can say; 'if you want to create a product around this tech, you have to follow these guidelines.'
Without that module and using technology that's based on a standard that's free to implement, what we're seeing so far is that AMD can only suggest the best course of action and the display manufacturers can basically do whatever they want, to varying degrees of success.
Eventually, the display industry might learn to sort this out themselves, but holy shit are they historically slow to adapt.

Yep, if anyone is interested in hearing more on that, straight from NVIDIA's mouth: https://youtu.be/2Fi1QHhdqV4?t=2487

Tom Petersen from NVIDIA talks about what they use the G-Sync module for, what advantages that gives them, their process for approving G-Sync monitors, etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is 144Hz a requirement for gsync? I think there would be a space in the market for a lower cost 75-120Hz gsync monitor.

BreakAtmo

Of course, Sony is quite uniquely positioned to make all this happen with the PS4 and their own TVs. But a further question remains; is it worth it when most games on the platform target 30 fps and probably feature triple-buffered output?

I was assuming that, as speculated above, devs could easily patch in a FreeSync Mode for their games that would get rid of all that stuff for anyone with a PS4 Slim and a FreeSync display. Games like inFamous: Second Son (averages about 28-45fps) and, going by the alpha, Battlefront (40-60fps) could be hugely improved by it.

Qassim

is 144Hz a requirement for gsync? I think there would be a space in the market for a lower cost 75-120Hz gsync monitor.

There are 60hz G-Sync monitors, but that's probably because you can't get 4K monitors above 60hz. I think it seems likely that NVIDIA does require panels that are capable of refreshing 30-144hz.

riflen

Requirement? No. 144 hz comes from current displayport limitations (and probably some panel tech) and the requirement to display 24 fps video.
There have been a couple of 4k 60hz G-sync displays and I think there will be some 21:9 displays supporting lower max rates too. I don't really think that 144hz support (vs 100 or 120) really adds that much cost. It's just a slightly more capable panel.

The G-sync displays released so far can be thought of as several different displays in one. Depending on the mode, you can push high refresh rates, you can use variable refresh, or you can use a strobing backlight for the best motion resolution. They're great for a variety of games.

Durante

You can say that again. and 5 more times really.

It's a sad fact that the only reason we have decent gaming monitors at all is probably Nvidia, and they aren't even a monitor manufacturer. No one gave a shit about refresh rates above 60Hz before NV pushed 3D Vision, and no one tried fixing the 80s tech governing display refresh before G-sync -- except to reduce power consumption on mobile of all things!

And now suddenly we get all those things which we were told were impossible just a year or two ago, like high-refresh, quickly reacting screens with quality panels. Because after being hit over the head with it multiple times display manufacturers finally realize that gamers are one of the few remaining market segments actually willing to pay for premium monitors.

Even so, those most quick to react aren't even traditional display companies, but rather other PC tech companies who know the gaming market.

I guess I should stop whining about this, at least it's fixed now. But how it progressed confirmed my worst ideas about the sheer incompetence and market unawareness of monitor manufacturers over the past decade. And the same is still going on in the projector market, where you could probably build a 1080p 120 Hz DLP for 5 USD more than a 60 Hz one and sell it for an uptick of 200 USD to gamers who'll be happy to pay that, but manufacturers are too stupid to realize this.

BreakAtmo

There's the upcoming Acer predator Z35 (144Hz VA), which is basically the perfect monitor, except that it's 2560x1080 instead of 3440x1440 :(

I can't wait for a true 'perfect monitor'. 40", OLED, 21:9, curved, 5120x2160, Passive 3D, 144Hz, G-Sync/FreeSync. It'd probably be like $5000 bare minimum at this point, but it would also be very, very pretty.

It'll make a huge difference between 30-40fps. Can't do anything for dips below 30fps.

G-sync actually does work below 30 FPS even though the monitor's can't go below 30hz. Once it reaches 29fps it doubles the monitor's refresh rate to 58hz and each frame gets drawn twice, effectively functioning as though the monitor's matched its refresh rate to the 29FPS. If it drops to 25FPS, the monitor's doubled to 50hz.

It's not going to be as smooth an experience as playing at a higher FPS, but you still get the benefits of no tearing or stuttering from framepacing.

pcper has a great article/video about this:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Dissecting-G-Sync-and-FreeSync-How-Technologies-Differ
or
https://youtu.be/VkrJU5d2RfA

Freesync lacks this capability because (from the PCper article):

this method requires a local frame buffer and requires logic on the display controller to work. Hence, the current implementation in a G-Sync module.

So Freesync will stop working around ~30 fps (iirc in the PCper video they say that the freesync cutoff is 35 to 40fps for most monitors) and instead enables either vsync or no-sync (can't remember which).

EDIT:
Whoops, thought this was a new 1 page thread for some reason and didn't see a reply to that comment, sorry if this has been mentioned already (thread's months old so it almost definitely has been).

I can't wait for a true 'perfect monitor'. 40", OLED, 21:9, curved, 5120x2160, Passive 3D, 144Hz, G-Sync/FreeSync. It'd probably be like $5000 bare minimum at this point, but it would also be very, very pretty.

If it offered a non-curved version I would think it would be pretty sweet.

Not sure where everyone is getting these skipped frames from. The only games I've played that have had this issue (that released this year) have been Batman and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood.

BreakAtmo

If it offered a non-curved version I would think it would be pretty sweet.

Fair. People would probably also want a 32" version as well. Not me though. One of the things putting me off getting an adaptive sync monitor is that I love the size of the 40" TV I currently use for everything. There are 40" 4K monitors, but they don't have any adaptive sync as far as I know. I really want Passive 3D as well - I like 3D, but the active 3D glasses that came with my TV are too small and replacements are horribly expensive. Passive 3D on a 4K monitor would be the best - unless a VR headset with an insane resolution comes out.

Dries

Le sigh.

It still stutters like crazy, even with all the above tips in check. I'm sure I have my presets and parameters correctly configured. I really have no idea what's going on right now. I don't know what else I could test, so I guess I'll have to slip into the dreaded customer service routine... Hopefully I'll get some good help.

ROG-34-inch-curved-gaming-monitor.jpg

ASUS ROG 34' inch-Curved G-Sync. They haven't decided yet if they are going to put it into actual production but it looks good.

The ASUS display team has been busy developing a number of new monitors based on the feedback of the PC enthusiast gaming community. Two of the most requested specifications enthusiast gamers had expressed interest in are 21:9 aspect ratios and curved LCD panels.

At Computex ASUS is showing of a prototype that takes those specifications and pushes further to offer up some impressing specifications target at users looking for outstanding image quality, motion fluidity and clarity as well as ultra high image detail and increased visual immersion.

Below you can see a render of this monitor currently titled “ROG 34″ Curved Gaming Monitor”

I'm so turned off by Acer and their PREDATOR brand. To me it might be the ugliest gaming related peripherals/branded hardware I have ever seen. I expect their 34-Inch G-Sync to be good value, and probably cheaper than the Asus ROG if it does indeed come into full production.

21:9 G-Sync is the next god-tier. It is the end of the road until full VR in submerged flotation tanks while stoned on psyilocybin mushrooms.

riflen

Le sigh.

It still stutters like crazy, even with all the above tips in check. I'm sure I have my presets and parameters correctly configured. I really have no idea what's going on right now. I don't know what else I could test, so I guess I'll have to slip into the dreaded customer service routine... Hopefully I'll get some good help.

=(
What makes you think G-Sync isn't functioning? Games can still stutter for reasons other than Vsync. Does the display (I don't know the model) indicate G-Sync mode is enabled?

GamingArena

Le sigh.

I'm sure you running SLi?
This game has problems with SLI and G-sync you need to turn off SLi in Nvidia Control panel i mean totally disable it not just in game profile.
After you disable SLi your g-sync should work with no stutters.

Pagusas

Elden Member
ASUS ROG 34' inch-Curved G-Sync. They haven't decided yet if they are going to put it into actual production but it looks good.

I'm so turned off by Acer and their PREDATOR brand. To me it might be the ugliest gaming related peripherals/branded hardware I have ever seen. I expect their 34-Inch G-Sync to be good value, and probably cheaper than the Asus ROG if it does indeed come into full production.

21:9 G-Sync is the next god-tier. It is the end of the road until full VR in submerged flotation tanks while stoned on psyilocybin mushrooms.

Why do companies make gaming gear so hideously ugly? Are gamers design taste/style really so comically bad or is it just the stereotype of "Gamers like junk designs like this".

Is it because how some (hopefully select few) build custom builds in the uglies possible cases?

Almost bought the Acer XB270HU the other day but then realized I don't even know if I'll find G-Sync worth it.

Already own a 144Hz monitor and never use V-Sync (I don't care about screen tearing and hate input lag). I generally try to aim for 100+ FPS in multiplayer games anyway.

So taking this into account, would G-Sync even matter to someone like me? Should I just save $200 by getting the Asus MG279Q?

Top Bottom