• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

ShOcKwAvE

I've had an Asus PA248Q for years and decided it was time to enjoy G-Sync. I was set on an Acer but kept going back and forth between the X34, XB271HU and XB321HK. After playing with an XB271HU in MicroCenter, I decided against 4k/60hz since the 144Hz made a huge difference in perceived motion. My XB271HU arrived from Amazon yesterday.

The Mfr. date is March 2016. I have a monitor arm on my desk so I didn't try the included stand at all. I've only played around in Rocket League and Crysis 2 so far (haven't installed C3 yet) but the difference is stark in my eyes and I'm really enjoying the fluidity. I checked immediately for dead pixels and got worried when I saw a small black spot in the top-left, but I was able to scrape whatever it was off. Now the BLB...there's some in the corners, especially the bottom-right. Having dealt with it on my Asus though, I already understand the drawbacks of IPS panels and I'm confident that I will not notice it in 95% of applications. I think people are really sensitive about BLB because they spend lots of $$$ and want perfection, but until OLED or something similar comes down in price, you have to try and focus on the positives. I know I can live with it and I don't think playing the return lottery is worth the trouble.

It doesn't feel a lot bigger than my PA248Q, but that's possibly because the XB271HU has such a thin bezel? Regardless, the pixel density is awesome and makes everything seem sharper. I would prefer if it had a slight curve, since I find myself having to move my head a bit to read text in the corners, but the benefits hugely outweigh all the little things I don't love (like navigating the OSD...ugh).

One G-Sync issue (or maybe just confusion on my part) is that I've set v-sync off in the control panel, but it keeps re-enabling itself somehow. I suspect it happened when I went into my games that previously had it enabled, so now that I've disabled it in the games, I'm hoping I won't encounter it again.

Back to Rocket League!

Plum

Just bought myself an AOC G2460PG for £210 on eBay, thought it was a really good deal for G-Sync. Made clear to the buyer that if the monitor itself is bad then I'll be returning it, but I doubt it'll be that way. Looking forward to experiencing that juicy smoothness that's so hyped in here.

Soodanim

One G-Sync issue (or maybe just confusion on my part) is that I've set v-sync off in the control panel, but it keeps re-enabling itself somehow. I suspect it happened when I went into my games that previously had it enabled, so now that I've disabled it in the games, I'm hoping I won't encounter it again.

Back to Rocket League!
V-Sync enabled in NVidia Control Panel will stop fps from exceeding the max refresh rate and bringing tearing back into your life. Either leave it on or set a framerate cap in RTSS, they're your best bets.

Just bought myself an AOC G2460PG for £210 on eBay, thought it was a really good deal for G-Sync. Made clear to the buyer that if the monitor itself is bad then I'll be returning it, but I doubt it'll be that way. Looking forward to experiencing that juicy smoothness that's so hyped in here.
£210 is nice, I think I paid about £330 for mine. It's rare that people leave disappointed in this thread, so enjoy!

Plum

£210 is nice, I think I paid about £330 for mine. It's rare that people leave disappointed in this thread, so enjoy!

Was used of course, but yeah, for what I can afford (well, I could buy an Acer XB271HU if I wanted to but I'd rather not) I doubt I'll be disappointed. Looking forward to it arriving.

SpyGuy239

Hey GAF, just got my Acer XB271HU. COming from a 1080p non G-Sync 60Hz monitor it is amazing. So far seems like some BLB which might all be just IPS Glow anyway with no dead pixel or dust behind the monitor.

The only issue I have is with the panel's WHITE (not colour) uniformity. It seems slightly cooler on the right with this bluish tint compared to the rest of the screen. Reading around, it seems like this is a probelm with most of the G-Sync IPS Panels from ASUS and Acer (and maybe with some time and Brun in this might fade).

Now these pictures are at brightness of 90 and the screen is as yet uncalibrated, but I'm not sure how much of this will change with regards to white Uniformity. I am hesitant to get another replacement with this as it seems like a panel lottery and the next one might just have all the black light bleed/dead pixel/dust issues. What do you think? Leave it or replace?

Here is what I am talking about:

IMG_6418.jpg

IMG_6426_1.jpg

IMG_6427_1.jpg

Looks fine to me. How often are you going to stare at a white screen with almost maxed brightness?

Use TFT Central (or was it monitors.info) to find a calibration and see if it bothers you or not. Also, pictures don't always correspond to how it appears in person... if it doesn't bug you, keep it, imo.

x3sphere

From your pics it does not look too bad. The pg279q I had suffered from really bad color temp uniformity. Calibrated to 6500K there was a 500-600K difference from top to bottom. The top 1/3 looked like it had a coffee stain.

No display has perfect white uniformity, but usually the differences in color temp are only around 200-300K which won't be noticeable in daily use.

I returned it awhile back and got an x34, which ended up being much better in this regard

SpyGuy239

Looks fine to me. How often are you going to stare at a white screen with almost maxed brightness?

Use TFT Central (or was it monitors.info) to find a calibration and see if it bothers you or not. Also, pictures don't always correspond to how it appears in person... if it doesn't bug you, keep it, imo.

From your pics it does not look too bad. The pg279q I had suffered from really bad color temp uniformity. Calibrated to 6500K there was a 500-600K difference from top to bottom. The top 1/3 looked like it had a coffee stain.

No display has perfect white uniformity, but usually the differences in color temp are only around 200-300K which won't be noticeable in daily use.

I returned it awhile back and got an x34, which ended up being much better in this regard

I see. It isn't noticable during games for sure. When browsing the web, I think I see it now only cause I know it's there and can't unsee it otherwise it's not like this Blue Tint out of nowhere.

So I guess this non-uniformity of the white is just normal and I should just deal with it since no screen will be perfect? (Just want to make sure since I'm spending $600 on a monitor...)

Thanks!

Evo X

Hey guys, I'm going to be upgrading from a release model ASUS ROG Swift and looking to get the best gaming monitor currently available.

Is the Acer X34 Predator still top dog or should I be looking at something else? Will be driven by a single Pascal Titan X.

Hey guys, I'm going to be upgrading from a release model ASUS ROG Swift and looking to get the best gaming monitor currently available.

Is the Acer X34 Predator still top dog or should I be looking at something else? Will be driven by a single Pascal Titan X.

ASUS ROG Swift series G-Sync monitors are top of the line stuff still. Out of the only 4 IPS panel Gsync monitors, ASUS has three of them.

Hasney

If you're willing to spend that much when you already have a G-Sync monitor, I'd be waiting on higher refresh rate 4k displays and then make the call on ultra-wide or not for the next upgrade.

What would the reason be for a game to not use G-sync? I understood it to be a thing that just worked with every game but as I've used it over the past year there have been a handful of games that it just don't seem to utilise it. Right now I'm playing Titan Souls, a 2D game that is locked to 60fps, and for whatever reason my refresh rate stays at 120Hz when I open this game - fullscreen or windowed. I know in this situation I'm not really in dire need of G-sync but I'm just curious why the refresh rate won't change.

Vuze

What would the reason be for a game to not use G-sync? I understood it to be a thing that just worked with every game but as I've used it over the past year there have been a handful of games that it just don't seem to utilise it. Right now I'm playing Titan Souls, a 2D game that is locked to 60fps, and for whatever reason my refresh rate stays at 120Hz when I open this game - fullscreen or windowed. I know in this situation I'm not really in dire need of G-sync but I'm just curious why the refresh rate won't change.
Why would you want the framerate/refresh rate to fluctuate in this case? A locked stable framerate is still always preferential to a fluctuating one even with Gsync. And since it's a 2D game there is no real reason why you should experience any dips on a gaming system.

Or do you equal "Gsync working" = "Framerate/Refresh always fluctuate"?

Unless I got your question wrong.

Why would you want the framerate/refresh rate to fluctuate in this case? A locked stable framerate is still always preferential to a fluctuating one even with Gsync. And since it's a 2D game there is no real reason why you should experience any dips on a gaming system.

Or do you equal "Gsync working" = "Framerate/Refresh always fluctuate"?

Unless I got your question wrong.

I understood "G-sync working" to mean that my refresh rate will match the frame rate of whatever game I'm playing. With G-sync activated shouldn't a 60fps game lock my refresh rate to 60Hz?

I understood "G-sync working" to mean that my refresh rate will match the frame rate of whatever game I'm playing. With G-sync activated shouldn't a 60fps game lock my refresh rate to 60Hz?

If you can keep the 60fps, sure. Every fluctuation will result in a equal change in the refresh rate.

Evo X

Well if you like 21:9. Although PG348Q is hella expensive.

Hella expensive is what I live for. :D

Tech and cars are my two main hobbies so I don't mind splurging. Never tried a 21:9 monitor myself yet though, but I don't see why I wouldn't like it.

If you're willing to spend that much when you already have a G-Sync monitor, I'd be waiting on higher refresh rate 4k displays and then make the call on ultra-wide or not for the next upgrade.

What's the time frame on those? I'm giving this ROG Swift to my cousin for his new build and would need a replacement within 2 weeks.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I would love for a VA Gsync 144hz monitor. I adore my Foris 1080p monitor and haven't found anything I'd like to upgrade to yet.

Attrition

Damn! The Dell S2716DG was just up on Amazon for 469.99 and I didn't get it in time! Hope it comes back up soon so I can return a monitor I bought a week ago.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I know that with gsync you want to enable it along with vsync so that once you exceed the monitor's refresh rate then vsync kicks in to cap the frame rate, but what about with freesync?

Water

I would love for a VA Gsync 144hz monitor. I adore my Foris 1080p monitor and haven't found anything I'd like to upgrade to yet.

I'm in the same boat, presuming you have the FG2421. It's great, I just want more resolution, G-Sync and VESA attachment. I don't believe I'll have much need for >120Hz refresh rates.

riflen

I know that with gsync you want to enable it along with vsync so that once you exceed the monitor's refresh rate then vsync kicks in to cap the frame rate, but what about with freesync?

Both technologies allow the user to choose the behaviour I believe. No sync and lowest latencies with tearing, or vertical sync.

e90Mark

Damn! The Dell S2716DG was just up on Amazon for 469.99 and I didn't get it in time! Hope it comes back up soon so I can return a monitor I bought a week ago.
I wouldn't worry. It comes up at that price all the time. Sometimes at $450. The Dell Refurb deal is even better.. $350 before tax.
Coming soon, according to AUO roadmap.

SpyGuy239

okay so I decided to try for another monitor through amazon cause of the blue tint on the right side of my original.

Here's the comparison, help me decide which one to keep. I won't be bothering with anymore returns or monitor lottery. Thanks guys!

vs

vs

vs

vs

vs

okay so I decided to try for another monitor through amazon cause of the blue tint on the right side of my original.

Here's the comparison, help me decide which one to keep. I won't be bothering with anymore returns or monitor lottery. Thanks guys!
Do the right thing, keep them both, and enjoy your new dual monitor setup?

Is there a big difference between 144Hz with and without G-sync? I ask because stuttering is already drastically mitigated just by having a higher refresh rate.

Celcius

°Temp. member
So lemme get this straight... of all the 4k monitors, only the few that are HDCP 2.2 compliant will be able to display UHD BR's?

I received my X34 today. I got a June manufactured batch and it OCs to 100Hz without any issues and no dead pixels. Running it on a R9 290 right now just waiting for my Zotac Amp Extreme GTX 1080 to arrive (I ordered it 1 month ago lol)

The backlight bleed looks worse in the picture than it actually is. I tried watching a few movies with it and I don't really notice it at all. Overall very happy with this monitor :)

Ozorov

No-one has dates, which is what you seem to want. AUO make panels and they've said these panels are going to be made soon. It's then up to companies to make products from the panels and products have release dates.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/35.htm#panels_update

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/35.htm#auo_panels_june

Don't bank on anything until 2017 basically.

Okey, the speccs I'm looking for is 1440p/G-sync and 144Hz. Is there any VA-Panels with these specs or is it just 4K nowdays?

Plum

My AOC G2460PG arrived today and I've got to say... WOW this really is one of the best possible upgrades I could have bought for my budget. Played some GTAV and despite the FPS ranging from 50-90 on my 980 ti it was still so damn smooth. Once I've gotten the colour calibration to the best it can be for a TN panel this monitor is going to be truly great. You guys were not lying with that title.

OneUh8

Is there any reason why I would want Vsync on in the control panel as opposed to just capping the framerate at 144hz? I will test them over the weekend, but curious to hear others opinions on it.

riflen

Is there any reason why I would want Vsync on in the control panel as opposed to just capping the framerate at 144hz? I will test them over the weekend, but curious to hear others opinions on it.

"Capping the framerate" cannot always be done with every game and you are beholden to the frame-pacing that the limiter provides.

Soodanim

My AOC G2460PG arrived today and I've got to say... WOW this really is one of the best possible upgrades I could have bought for my budget. Played some GTAV and despite the FPS ranging from 50-90 on my 980 ti it was still so damn smooth. Once I've gotten the colour calibration to the best it can be for a TN panel this monitor is going to be truly great. You guys were not lying with that title.
I was waiting to see how you got on! You couldn't have picked a better game for it mate, GTAV and G-Sync are made for each other.

The biggest drawback is the disappointment when games don't have >60fps support. And now imagine how good fast paced 2D games like Sonic would be at 144hz.

Plum

I was waiting to see how you got on! You couldn't have picked a better game for it mate, GTAV and G-Sync are made for each other.

The biggest drawback is the disappointment when games don't have >60fps support. And now imagine how good fast paced 2D games like Sonic would be at 144hz.

Yeah, despite driving around in the city and getting 70fps still being very noticeable it's not as jarring as the drops I might have gotten when V-Synced to 60fps before (on a 980ti at 1080p that was surprising). I've been able to increase some settings and still feel comfortable. Was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider and after removing V-Sync the difference was so palpable, it was amazing.

And I've tried to get Sonic Generations working but it doesn't want to start whatsoever, that game would look amazing at 144hz. But yeah, despite it being a TN panel and therefore having worse colours and viewing angles than my secondary Dell IPS the actual gaming experience itself is amazing.

Ohhhh man. The Acer Predator X34 refurbished is $699 on the Woot app right now. Anyone bought a refurbished one in the past?

Gahhhh I just can't do it. I already have a great 1440p/144hz Freesync monitor. I think I'd rather save the money to use on VR. After tax that pretty much is a VR bundle. This was definitely THE monitor though. Just couldn't swing 1000 or 1300 for the Gsync version at release.

Vuze

Ohhhh man. The Acer Predator X34 refurbished is $699 on the Woot app right now. Anyone bought a refurbished one in the past?

Gahhhh I just can't do it. I already have a great 1440p/144hz Freesync monitor. I think I'd rather save the money to use on VR. After tax that pretty much is a VR bundle. This was definitely THE monitor though. Just couldn't swing 1000 or 1300 for the Gsync version at release.
Holy damn, sweet price. Why don't we have stunning deals like this over here :(

So I don't know if this is a G-Sync issue specifically or what, but alt-tabbing or switching to windowed mode will often boot me out of Win 10. My screens will start flickering, I'll hear the windows device noises, like when you plug in something USB, then next thing I know I will be at the login screen, everything that I was running before was dead.

Also my Nvidia display adapters (GTX 770 and GT 710) will now indicate they had a problem in Device Manager. At this point I need to disable them and then re-enable to get all my monitors back. Anyone got any ideas? I changed a setting I saw mentioned after some googling to disable power management on the PCI-E slot in the Windows power options, but that didn't help.

Hey guys, I've been futzing around with my GSync setup and can't seem to get it working.

I've got an Acer Predator XB271HU + MSI GTX 1080.

I feel like this has got to be a case of RTFM, but I'm at a loss - I've enabled GSync in the NVIDIA control panel, but can't seem to find the "G-SYNC" option under "Vertical Sync"... By default, it's set to "Controlled by Application."

I'm been mainly trying to get this working with Overwatch and Doom, and while I've used the "optimize" button in GeForce experience (which turns off vsync in the app), I'm still seeing tearing (even when I lower the refresh rate to 60).

Bonus info: my CPU's a little older, but I didn't see anything in the reqs about a minimum proc.
i7-3930K chip + DX79SI motherboard

Any advice?

riflen

Hey guys, I've been futzing around with my GSync setup and can't seem to get it working.

I've got an Acer Predator XB271HU + MSI GTX 1080.

I feel like this has got to be a case of RTFM, but I'm at a loss - I've enabled GSync in the NVIDIA control panel, but can't seem to find the "G-SYNC" option under "Vertical Sync"... By default, it's set to "Controlled by Application."

I'm been mainly trying to get this working with Overwatch and Doom, and while I've used the "optimize" button in GeForce experience (which turns off vsync in the app), I'm still seeing tearing (even when I lower the refresh rate to 60).

Bonus info: my CPU's a little older, but I didn't see anything in the reqs about a minimum proc.
i7-3930K chip + DX79SI motherboard

Any advice?

It's not listed under Vertical Sync. You can enable and disable Vertical Sync independent of G-Sync. Look for the Monitor Technology option in NVCP.

Top Bottom