• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

Attrition

Got the Dell S2716DG from Best Buy when they were matching Amazon's price at 469.99. It arrived 5 days early from estimated delivery! Just installed it, no screen problems at all! About to test out some GTA5! So excited to not have to ever deal with stuttering or tearing again.

Now I have to evaluate if my 970 will still do the trick.

Okada

I just got a 1440p Acer Predator XB270HU off Gumtree for £240 (which seemed to be a great deal?) and it's bloody amazing.

The best I'd ever previously gamed on was 60hz 1080p screen and the difference is just insane.

Smoolio

Does v-sync on with g-sync have input lag still? Thought input lag removal was one of the benefits of g-sync along with tearing and stutter of course.

OneUh8

Does v-sync on with g-sync have input lag still? Thought input lag removal was one of the benefits of g-sync along with tearing and stutter of course.

Yeah if you have vsync enabled in the nvidia control panel, it will turn on when you hit your monitors refresh rate. Just leave it off in game. But afaik, yes you will still get the input lag associated with it when you go above that 144/1/180hz refresh rate of your monitor.

Qassim

Unless you're constantly hitting the 144hz limit, then you don't need to worry about input lag. If you are (e.g. in a game like Counter-Strike), the solution is to cap your framerate below the limit (e.g. at 140 with fps_max) or just turn it off altogether. I prefer to keep it on and cap the framerate cause it's just so smooth.

Sarobi

Banned
I'm looking to get a new monitor, and a GSync is something I'm definitely interested in, but I have a question regarding it: How does it handle fluctuating fps? (between 10 to 20 frames), does it look smoother than it would on a normal 120hz/144hz monitor?

PFD

I'm looking to get a new monitor, and a GSync is something I'm definitely interested in, but I have a question regarding it: How does it handle fluctuating fps? (between 10 to 20 frames), does it look smoother than it would on a normal 120hz/144hz monitor?

As far as I know it works from 0-max refresh rate for your monitor, but it works best above 36 fps

Plum

So after a week of loving my new G-Sync monitor games have suddenly become stuttery as fuck. I know it's probably my GPU, drivers or settings but times like these are why PC Gaming can be a bitch sometimes.

laxu

So after a week of loving my new G-Sync monitor games have suddenly become stuttery as fuck. I know it's probably my GPU, drivers or settings but times like these are why PC Gaming can be a bitch sometimes.

Try turning G-Sync off and on again from the Nvidia Control Panel. This has fixed the issue for me when I've had it. It's some sort of driver bug Nvidia has not bothered to address.

Plum

Try turning G-Sync off and on again from the Nvidia Control Panel. This has fixed the issue for me when I've had it. It's some sort of driver bug Nvidia has not bothered to address.

Maybe, I'll try it and report back, thanks! Though I've looked and during Overwatch the temperature literally never goes above 66c or so despite reaching 75c or above the night before which makes the game run like shit whereas before I could get a consistent 144fps. I've looked and the power limit/temp limit is still at 100% on MSI Afterburner so it can't be that.

[EDIT] Nope that didn't fix it. Must be a hardware issue then. Hope to god it isn't something to do with the PSU.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Here's the mind blowing thing. That's what it looks like when Gsync stops working.

Vuze

Did you install the win10 anniversary update by chance?
I was playing GTAV today and was wondering why the hell I felt all that annoying stutter at 50~90fps. Lo and behold, Windows didn't just flush all my NVCP settings down the toilet but also disabled Gsync. Check your settings.

Situations like these remind me how much of a blessing variable refresh monitors are though haha

Plum

Did you install the to win10 anniversary update by chance?
I was playing GTAV today and was wondering why the hell I felt all that annoying stutter at 50~90fps. Lo and behold, Windows didn't just flush all my NVCP settings down the toilet but also disabled Gsync. Check your settings.

Situations like these remind me how much of a blessing variable refresh monitors are though haha

Don't even have W10 installed! It's just running at a seemingly lower performance and power level than it was before which is frustrating as fuck. It might be an issue with my PSU but I have no clue and it's so damn annoying.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Question for those with experience in the matter: Is a 120/144 Hz monitor without G-Sync worth it if you don't have a graphics card that can handle a locked frame rate at those speeds? I'm in the market for a new monitor and I'm interested in high refresh rate displays but my GPU doesn't support G-Sync and is probably too old to hit 120 FPS in many modern games.

Xis

Question for those with experience in the matter: Is a 120/144 Hz monitor without G-Sync worth it if you don't have a graphics card that can handle a locked frame rate at those speeds? I'm in the market for a new monitor and I'm interested in high refresh rate displays but my GPU doesn't support G-Sync and is probably too old to hit 120 FPS in many modern games.

I've wondered about this too. With a normal 60hz monitor, failing to keep 60FPS means your frame time judders between 16ms and 33ms; with a 120hz monitor I would imagine that failing to lock at 60fps would cause your frame time to judder between 16ms and 25ms, which wouldn't be as bad? And a 144hz monitor should be even better?

Edit: Also with a 120Hz monitor you should be able to get a steady frame rate at 120, 60, 40, or 30 FPS; a 144Hz monitor you need to lock at 144, 72, 48, or 36 FPS?

ncslamm

Just got my XB271HU and EVGA 1080 yesterday. I wasn't a firm believer in gsync being a game changer until now. Coming from a 144hz 1080p TN panel to a 144hz 1440p IPS gsync panel is like night and day. Completely worth the upgrade.

Just got my XB271HU and EVGA 1080 yesterday. I wasn't a firm believer in gsync being a game changer until now. Coming from a 144hz 1080p TN panel to a 144hz 1440p IPS gsync panel is like night and day. Completely worth the upgrade.

From which monitor did you upgrade? Just curious, am considering upgrading to an IPS Gsync from a TN Gsync.

Bl@de

I just got a 1440p Acer Predator XB270HU off Gumtree for £240 (which seemed to be a great deal?) and it's bloody amazing.

The best I'd ever previously gamed on was 60hz 1080p screen and the difference is just insane.

I've bought the same.

The thing that impressed me most: 144hz desktop use. No I'm not kidding. It's soooo good.

Totakeke

XB271HU seems to been sold out. Amazon, Newegg, and Best Buy has it listed out of stock. Wonder why.

I have one arriving tomorrow when I saw it was listed again at Best Buy for $550, hopefully it's actually the right model.

About to pull the trigger on a Asus PG248Q. Any users of this monitor? Can get it for 550 euro's which I find quite expensive. Want to use it with a 970 to experience smooth framerates from 40 upwards.

Is it true that G-sync gets disabled on certain monitors when downsampling / using DSR? How do I know if my monitor is one of those monitors? I'm using an 24" Acer XB240H

Is it true that G-sync gets disabled on certain monitors when downsampling / using DSR? How do I know if my monitor is one of those monitors? I'm using an 24" Acer XB240H
It doesn't seem to work on my PG279Q on a single GTX 1080. When I tried DSR the frame counter on my monitor locked at 60. No obvious workaround that I could find after cursory googling.

So I bought the Asus PG248Q.

It's awesome! And even though people have said that using 180hz makes the contrast worse, I can't see any difference in contrast at all. Does someone have a good site to clearly see the difference?

Edit: somehow the screen now goes black on 180 mode. So guess I won't be using that. Didn't buy it for that mode anyway :)

Haven't tested ULMB yey, but I guess tearing would return again with that mode?

Also; Playing around 60FPS seems very stuttery, is this just because i got used to 70-90? :p First world issues.

Right; when I put the monnitor on 60HZ mode games will still produce more than 60 fps (200+). Why is that? on 144hz mode games NEVER surpass 144.

So, I finally got to try out gsync on an acer xb270hu. I made sure to activate gsync properly and deactivate vsync and tried out a couple of games. I tried some games that I couldn't make a locked 60 in, but the framerate dips seemed just as noticeable as without gsync. Didn't notice any difference in input lag either. Overall I didn't notice any difference really, other than that the screen seemed more responsive than my 60 hz screens (not something I care about really, not a competitive gamer). Not saying anyone else's experience with the technology is wrong, but it seems that for me gsync doesn't really matter, vsync works well enough for me.

On the contrary, compared to my samsung 4k (9 series) tv I really noticed how mediocre the image quality was on this particular monitor) Again, in my opinion, I like screens that "pop"). The colours were bland and the contrast/black level just decent. I'm actually kind of happy, this reaffirms my opinion that I should wait until OLED or similar quality screens get gsync support, and are sold at a reasonable price. In the meantime I will make do with what I have.

So, I finally got to try out gsync on an acer xb270hu. I made sure to activate gsync properly and deactivate vsync and tried out a couple of games. I tried some games that I couldn't make a locked 60 in, but the framerate dips seemed just as noticeable as without gsync. Didn't notice any difference in input lag either. Overall I didn't notice any difference really, other than that the screen seemed more responsive than my 60 hz screens (not something I care about really, not a competitive gamer). Not saying anyone else's experience with the technology is wrong, but it seems that for me gsync doesn't really matter, vsync works well enough for me.

On the contrary, compared to my samsung 4k (9 series) tv I really noticed how mediocre the image quality was on this particular monitor) Again, in my opinion, I like screens that "pop"). The colours were bland and the contrast/black level just decent. I'm actually kind of happy, this reaffirms my opinion that I should wait until OLED or similar quality screens get gsync support, and are sold at a reasonable price. In the meantime I will make do with what I have.

That's a TN panel right?

tesqui

Just got freesync, and to be honest the mindblowing upgrade still goes to 144hz. I'd be totally fine without the freesync.

ss_lemonade

How useful is gsync on a 60hz panel? A sager laptop I've been looking at is I believe, 60hz with gsync. There's probably others that are like this too, unless one is willing to fork out more large quantities of money for a 120hz display.

Rhoc

Switched last week from my 60hz to a Acer Predator XB240HA. The TN panel is kinda bad but the smoothness of gsync and 144hz is so good that i can accept the rest. So pumped for Deus Ex next week with this new monitor.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
An easy trick to test and show off gsync is to use shadowplay recording (set to 60fps). When playing while recording Dark Souls 3, the game was totally smooth for me. On playback though of the video, it was a stuttery mess almost constantly, as my game struggles to hit 60 (it's usually the high 50's).

I've had this gsync monitor for a while now, and when I saw my video stuttering, I was finally sold and stopped looking for replacements with better contrast. There just isn't anything out there right now.

I'm there with you on color/contrast quality. My BenQ is awesome on uniformity and screen quality, but the lower contrast and lack of color reproduction is eh and it bugs me in certain games. I can't give up the tech though, the stuttering was awful for me before.

What really bugs me, is that cheaper 4k VA televisions are beating response times on the VA gsync gaming monitors (20%+ better pixel response times in dark transitions). The only thing missing is the gysnc. It's so stupid and they keep dropping the ball with the VA panels they're choosing for their monitors. Stop using the samsung mva panel, it's slow.

I'm not holding out for OLED, because of burn in. I can't imagine it will take long for a windows taskbar to be perma burned considering mine is displayed 95% of my computing time. Even if it doesn't perma burn in, you get bad uniformity issues due to temporary retention.

Seems like there's no winning until someone saddles up and makes a decent VA panel that doesn't transition badly from blacks with gysnc.

XBP

So I'm kinda torn between whether to get a IPS gysnc panel or a tn one. The amount of problems people post about the two IPS monitors concerns me as I'll be spending CAD 1000+ on them. Plus I have a 970 so my frame rate is going to be in the 60-70 range instead of 100+. I'd rather not spend that much and have to deal with multiple returns and problems.

I'd get a TN panel but I'm not sure how the colors are going to be. Some people say its difficult to go from IPS to TN but I've heard some good things about the acer XB241H and AOC g2460pg (two options that I'm considering as well).

Would love some input about what to do?

daninthemix

Would love some input about what to do?

There's a Samsung VA 27" panel coming out in Oct. Only question is what the resolution is (not sure if 1080p or 1440p).

VA = much better contrast, actual black (amazing!), no glow, no uniformity issues.

Well, that's what I'm waiting on anyway. We'll see.

Ozorov

There's a Samsung VA 27" panel coming out in Oct. Only question is what the resolution is (not sure if 1080p or 1440p).

VA = much better contrast, actual black (amazing!), no glow, no uniformity issues.

Well, that's what I'm waiting on anyway. We'll see.

Do you have any more information about that panel?

144hz etc?

Mareg

So I've been rocking a GTX 1070 on 1440p 60hz.
I'm using traditional v-sync triple buffered whenever available.

Every titles I play has been locked at 60fps
because of the tremendous power given by the Pascal gtx 1070.

I don't see the advantage of gsync in my situation. Perhaps I'm missing something apart from the ridiculous price of gsync monitors.

Ignorance is bliss.

Hasney

So I've been rocking a GTX 1070 on 1440p 60hz.
I'm using traditional v-sync triple buffered whenever available.

Every titles I play has been locked at 60fps
because of the tremendous power given by the Pascal gtx 1070.

I don't see the advantage of gsync in my situation. Perhaps I'm missing something apart from the ridiculous price of gsync monitors.

Ignorance is bliss.

Well if you were to buy a new monitor (which yoiu would for G-Sync), you could get a higher refresh rate and have benefits that way since you may not run it at a locked 144fps.

j-wood

I'm this close to buying that Dell gsync monitor on sale at best buy but i have a question.

If i have a super high powered rig, say a top of the line i7 and 1080s in SLI, what benefit does a gsync monitor give me? Isn't it more for say single card users to help them deal with games where they can't quite reach 60 fps?

Hasney

I'm this close to buying that Dell gsync monitor on sale at best buy but i have a question.

If i have a super high powered rig, say a top of the line i7 and 1080s in SLI, what benefit does a gsync monitor give me? Isn't it more for say single card users to help them deal with games where they can't quite reach 60 fps?

Not really, although it can help with that. Get a high refresh rate monitor and then it helps when it can't hit up to say 165fps. Look beyond 60fps, maaaannnn

Top Bottom