• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

Vipu

Banned
I got the Acer Predator XB271HU and I think I feel the input lag.

I went from 2ms monitor to 5ms. Do you think I would really notice or is it my imagination?
What did you have before?
3ms inputlag difference is so small im not sure someone can feel it.

And are you sure you talk about 5ms input lag or gtg lag?

Checked just now and that screen have 7,5ms response time and 4ms inputlag.

riflen

What's the earliest we'll get 4K @ 120hz with g-sync monitors?

G-Sync is a feature that wont be detailed until a product is pretty close to launching. However, the company that makes most of the panels used in these displays does make the occasional statement about what's coming in the near future:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/35.htm#auo_panels_june

TFTCentral said:
"As a brief intro summary, AUO continue to invest in several key areas. Of particular interest are the new gaming panels they are developing, with Full HD (1920 x 1080) options reaching up to 240Hz native refresh rate later this year and QHD (2560 x 1440) reaching the same 240Hz refresh rate during 2017. We will also see the emergence of 4K resolution 144Hz refresh rate panels by 2017 as well.

In addition to there are further developments with VA technology curved panels, now pushing the refresh rates up to 200Hz native and with resolutions up to 3440 x 1440. New panel sizes and formats will also be introduced.

Finally, an investment in 4K and 5K resolution screens for a variety of uses continues to be a focus with various options being considered."

e90Mark

G-Sync is a feature that wont be detailed until a product is pretty close to launching. However, the company that makes most of the panels used in these displays does make the occasional statement about what's coming in the near future:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/35.htm#auo_panels_june

Ultrawide 1440p in 200hz seems more attractive to me than 144hz 4k.

I like that we're on the way to no compromises and that there will be something for everybody.

teiresias

Has anyone played panel lottery with Amazon when it comes to the higher end monitors? I'd prefer buying from them if possible.

I bought my monitor about six years ago off of Amazon and had no problems, but it was six years ago with 1920x1200 16:10 IPS monitor. However, it seems the occurrence of dead/stuck pixels on these higher density and Gsync monitors is larger than I remember reading about back then, so I'm not sure I'd order online if I had a local B&M solution that wasn't killing me on price versus Amazon. I'd stick with Amazon if I had to order online I suppose just because of customer service (though there are the horror stories about Amazon accounts getting shutdown when the account history has too many returns, so something to think about if you're planning to send monitors back multiple times due to pixel issues for one or two of them).

laxu

Ultrawide 1440p in 200hz seems more attractive to me than 144hz 4k.

I like that we're on the way to no compromises and that there will be something for everybody.

Complete opposite for me. I want 4K res for the extra detail it allows (also better text on desktop) but I also want the higher refresh rates and low input lag as I am used to them at 1440p now.

It is indeed great that we can kinda have our pie and eat it soon. I just hope that the next gen Nvidia cards can push 4K better than the current batch which is just about on the border of being able to run 4K at 60 fps.

Complete opposite for me. I want 4K res for the extra detail it allows (also better text on desktop) but I also want the higher refresh rates and low input lag as I am used to them at 1440p now.

It is indeed great that we can kinda have our pie and eat it soon. I just hope that the next gen Nvidia cards can push 4K better than the current batch which is just about on the border of being able to run 4K at 60 fps.

I don't expect the next round of cards to push 4K 60FPS in the most demanding games with ease. POSSIBLY the 1180 Ti, but even with that, I don't think. 2018 will be more interesting.

If I am reaching 60FPS or higher on everything I play, is there any point in getting a GSync monitor?

I currently have the LG 34" Ultrawide and I use VSync with everything. Thinking about picking up a Titan X Pascal and would use it on that. It seems the Titan XP basically runs everything I play/plan on playing at well over 60FPS at 4K, so I imagine I would be in the clear and then some with the 3440 ultrawide resolution.

I just don't know if it's worth saving 1200 dollars toward a 4K TV eventually vs. pulling the trigger on one of the 34" Asus/Acer GSyncs. Specifically if my goal is to simply live in 60FPS with hardware that should effectively hit it with VSync on.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Vuze

If I am reaching 60FPS or higher on everything I play, is there any point in getting a GSync monitor?

I currently have the LG 34" Ultrawide and I use VSync with everything. Thinking about picking up a Titan X Pascal and would use it on that. It seems the Titan XP basically runs everything I play/plan on playing at well over 60FPS at 4K, so I imagine I would be in the clear and then some with the 3440 ultrawide resolution.

I just don't know if it's worth saving 1200 dollars toward a 4K TV eventually vs. pulling the trigger on one of the 34" Asus/Acer GSyncs. Specifically if my goal is to simply live in 60FPS with hardware that should effectively hit it with VSync on.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Well, sure there is but I wouldn't splurge for one now especially considering you seem to have a very recent monitor too.
Wait for next years HDR Gsync monitors with higher refresh rates/higher resolutions.

Well, sure there is but I wouldn't splurge for one now especially considering you seem to have a very recent monitor too.
Wait for next years HDR Gsync monitors with higher refresh rates/higher resolutions.

That's kinda what I was leaning toward. Thanks for the nudge, appreciate the help.

With HDR finally starting to pick up and the recent video cards having HDR support, I'm waiting until they start releasing HDR monitors. No point in upgrading right now for me.

Still rocking a Dell ultrasharp u2414h. Excellent IPS with superb color reproduction and really low response for IPS of 5ms. I have it calibrated with a colorimeter. It's only 1080p 60hz, but like I said I want to make a big upgrade to HDR when I do upgrade. For now the excellent color of this monitor is enough for me.

Ocho

Anyone gets 24 fps limit when using gsync? For some reason, when I have gsync on, sometimes my Hearthstone runs at 24 fps (need to deactivate).

Same thing happened in Overwatch and Eve right now. I didn't change anything, disabling it did the trick to work again.

Do I have something off?

Arucardo

Found a used Asus PG278Q with over 13months of warranty left for 400eur (800eur new here), lucky!

Going from my old 27" 1080p 120hz to a 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync is crazy. It's like going from 60hz to 120hz back in the day. Couldn't be happier with my purchase.

ZeroX03

Banned
Upgraded my BenQ XL2410T to an ASUS PG279Q.

The difference of 24", 1080p, 120Hz, TN to 27", 1440p, 165Hz, IPS, G-Sync is staggering. It's insane how much of a difference it all makes. Overwatch looks incredible with buttery smooth frame rate and gorgeous visuals. I'm a happy man.

Luigi87

The difference of 24", 1080p, 120Hz, TN to 27", 1440p, 165Hz, IPS, G-Sync is staggering. It's insane how much of a difference it all makes. Overwatch looks incredible with buttery smooth frame rate and gorgeous visuals. I'm a happy man.

It's always about being faster with you.

ZeroX03

Banned
It's always about being faster with you.

120Hz -> 165Hz + G-Sync

631ac650faef4d42cd246be3878b1cd1.gif

Samaritan

I'm getting a really strange GSYNC issue that has seemingly started happening one or two NVIDIA driver updates ago. I'm noticing that my GSYNC monitor is unable or unwilling to cap my framerate to 144Hz.

Overwatch hovers around 154. World of Warcraft sits around 160-200 at its highest points (500+ on the login screen lol). DOOM is between 190-200. Devil Daggers will play around 300. In all these tests I enabled the GSYNC Indicator and every time it was showing up as enabled, despite my framerate going well above 144Hz.

Now obviously this isn't going to be an issue in most games, since most won't achieve 144+, but it's still a weird issue that I'm bothered by. This doesn't seemed to have happened because of an NVIDIA driver update or anything like that. I'm a bit at a loss for what could be causing it.

CPU: i5 6600K @ 4.3GHz
GPU: 980Ti G1 +108MHz GPU Clock/+300MHz Memory Clock
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz
Storage: 850 EVO SSD
Monitor: Acer XB240H 1080p @ 144Hz

Strangely, setting some games to Borderless Windowed gets my framerate back down to 144. Overwatch and World of Warcraft for instance work flawlessly when in Borderless Windowed mode. But other games such as DOOM will exceed 144 whether or not they're in Fullscreen or Borderless.

p8cD5NH.png
AxJn42p.png

Does anyone know what's going on here? Were major changes made to GSYNC awhile ago that I just haven't noticed until now?

kuYuri

120Hz -> 165Hz + G-Sync

631ac650faef4d42cd246be3878b1cd1.gif

This was me, except I went from 1080p/60hz to 1440p/144hz and G-Sync. I was floored by the upgrade.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm getting a really strange GSYNC issue that has seemingly started happening one or two NVIDIA driver updates ago. I'm noticing that my GSYNC monitor is unable or unwilling to cap my framerate to 144Hz.

Overwatch hovers around 154. World of Warcraft sits around 160-200 at its highest points (500+ on the login screen lol). DOOM is between 190-200. Devil Daggers will play around 300. In all these tests I enabled the GSYNC Indicator and every time it was showing up as enabled, despite my framerate going well above 144Hz.

Now obviously this isn't going to be an issue in most games, since most won't achieve 144+, but it's still a weird issue that I'm bothered by. This doesn't seemed to have happened because of an NVIDIA driver update or anything like that. I'm a bit at a loss for what could be causing it.

Strangely, setting some games to Borderless Windowed gets my framerate back down to 144. Overwatch and World of Warcraft for instance work flawlessly when in Borderless Windowed mode. But other games such as DOOM will exceed 144 whether or not they're in Fullscreen or Borderless.

p8cD5NH.png
AxJn42p.png

Does anyone know what's going on here? Were major changes made to GSYNC awhile ago that I just haven't noticed until now?

Is V-Sync enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel or is it set to 'Use the 3D application setting'? V-Sync might simply be disabled in the games you're playing, hence the uncapped frame-rate.

Samaritan

Is V-Sync enabled in the Nvidia Control Panel or is it set to 'Use the 3D application setting'? V-Sync might simply be disabled in the games you're playing, hence the uncapped frame-rate.

I've always had Vsync disabled in the control panel. I was under the impression that was the right thing to do with a GSYNC monitor.

XBP

Anyone gets 24 fps limit when using gsync? For some reason, when I have gsync on, sometimes my Hearthstone runs at 24 fps (need to deactivate).

Same thing happened in Overwatch and Eve right now. I didn't change anything, disabling it did the trick to work again.

Do I have something off?

Happened to me on one of the older drivers. Updating fixed it for me though.

I've always had Vsync disabled in the control panel. I was under the impression that was the right thing to do with a GSYNC monitor.

I believe one of the recent driver updates enabled a feature where NV now allows the frame rate to go above your refresh rate and thus disabling gsync whenever that happens. You can get over this by either capping your framerate using RTSS (which you should be doing anyway to reduce input lag, maybe 4 below cap) or by enabling Vsync in the game on NV control panel.

Borderless windows enables desktop level vsync on the game which is why its getting capped at your refresh rate automatically.

Do I have something off?

This happens to me if my display goes to sleep (not the PC going to sleep, just the display) and then I try and launch a game. I play all my games in a borderless window and I've found I have to switch the game to fullscreen and then back to borderless to make g-sync function properly again. In rare cases this doesn't fix it and then I've found the only way to get it working properly is to restart my PC, which is a little bit of a hassle.

XBP

This happens to me if my display goes to sleep (not the PC going to sleep, just the display) and then I try and launch a game. I play all my games in a borderless window and I've found I have to switch the game to fullscreen and then back to borderless to make g-sync function properly again. In rare cases this doesn't fix it and then I've found the only way to get it working properly is to restart my PC, which is a little bit of a hassle.

I found restarting my monitor helps with that as well.

longdi

Banned
What is the current technical hurdle for HDR on IPS and TN?

Mainly is the money. Manufacturers think PC gamers aren't rich enough or care enough to pay for a quality display. Hence you see mostly 27" 8bit TN high frame-rate monitors with gaudy plasticky gamer design.

10bit HDR needs the more expensive back lighting.
VA panel is also more suitable than IPS and TN because of its deeper native contrast ratio.

Ocho

Nice, thanks for the input. Good to know I'm not the only one.

Tagyhag

Forgive my ignorance, if I'm looking to mostly gaming at 120+fps, should I just not go with G-Sync at all?

Or would it help with crap ports with random stuttering like Dead Rising 3?

XBP

Forgive my ignorance, if I'm looking to mostly gaming at 120+fps, should I just not go with G-Sync at all?

Or would it help with crap ports with random stuttering like Dead Rising 3?

Gsync will help a lot with stuttering and screen tearing. For example, titanfall 1 for me was tearing like crazy even at very high fps but after going to a gsync monitor, the game is stutter free which feels so much nicer.

Samaritan

V-Sync and G-Sync On in Nvidia Control Panel, off in game.

I believe one of the recent driver updates enabled a feature where NV now allows the frame rate to go above your refresh rate and thus disabling gsync whenever that happens. You can get over this by either capping your framerate using RTSS (which you should be doing anyway to reduce input lag, maybe 4 below cap) or by enabling Vsync in the game on NV control panel.

Borderless windows enables desktop level vsync on the game which is why its getting capped at your refresh rate automatically.

Use Riva Tuner Statistics to limit the FPS in-game.

Thanks for the help, cheers guys.

FelixFFM

Mainly is the money. Manufacturers think PC gamers aren't rich enough or care enough to pay for a quality display. Hence you see mostly 27" 8bit TN high frame-rate monitors with gaudy plasticky gamer design.

10bit HDR needs the more expensive back lighting.
VA panel is also more suitable than IPS and TN because of its deeper native contrast ratio.

I haven't seen or heard of a local dimming backlit PC monitor. I am pretty sure that you need this type of backlighting in order to hit the HDR contrast targets. Unassisted black levels aren't good enough even with VA and especially not with IPS.

I don't know how the market would take a monitor with local dimming. The tech is made for watching movies. There's blooming and halos around bright objects, which isn't too noticeable in film content, but will be very obvious with desktop work on a PC. You'd need an extra game mode to enable it.

Luigi87

So I've been debating getting a G-Sync display.

Thing is, while I have a GTX 1070 (with some overclock), my CPU is first generation i7 920 (oc'd @ 3.8), so I'm not sure how much it could potentially negatively impact me on a 1440p G-Sync monitor.

I bought the ROG Swift PG248Q and this is how shadows look on HDMI:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5290298/IMG_0009.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5290298/IMG_0011.jpg

And yes; on PC; with DP; they look exactly the same.

On PS4 I can get rid of them by enabling full range RGB; but that introduces black crush (like 80 percent of the LAGOM squares are not visible). And on PC full range is the only mode with true black; limited is very gray. This looks horrible though and this is already a replacement screen for the exact same issue.

Is this the future of gaming?

Samaritan

So I've been debating getting a G-Sync display.

Thing is, while I have a GTX 1070 (with some overclock), my CPU is first generation i7 920 (oc'd @ 3.8), so I'm not sure how much it could potentially negatively impact me on a 1440p G-Sync monitor.

If I were you I'd take whatever funds you'd commit to a GSYNC monitor and instead upgrade that CPU. That thing has got to be holding you back pretty severely. I had a 930 until last Fall and it was a major setback, despite running with a 980Ti.

I bought the ROG Swift PG248Q and this is how shadows look on HDMI:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5290298/IMG_0009.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5290298/IMG_0011.jpg

And yes; on PC; with DP; they look exactly the same.

On PS4 I can get rid of them by enabling full range RGB; but that introduces black crush (like 80 percent of the LAGOM squares are not visible). And on PC full range is the only mode with true black; limited is very gray. This looks horrible though and this is already a replacement screen for the exact same issue.

Is this the future of gaming?

I think this is maybe a problem with TN displays? I had the same problem with the Dell S2716DG (TN). Exchanged it for Acer XB271HU (IPS), never again had this problem.

Gemüsepizza;220298962 said:
I think this is maybe a problem with TN displays? I had the same problem with the Dell S2716DG (TN). Exchanged it for Acer XB271HU (IPS), never again had this problem.

Before this display I used a MVA+ display, so there might be truth to that.
However; I have been using a TN screen for years before that and never noticed anything like this. It just looks so horrible in darker games and TV shows.

Also; my TV is a TN display and doesn't have this issue at all. So there might be truth to it, but I kind of want to refuse that. Especially for 500 euro's.

This also happens with gradients that are dark; like the dark blue that's everywhere in the PS4 menus.

Luigi87

If I were you I'd take whatever funds you'd commit to a GSYNC monitor and instead upgrade that CPU. That thing has got to be holding you back pretty severely. I had a 930 until last Fall and it was a major setback, despite running with a 980Ti.

Outside of CPU heavy games (Star Citizen...) it hasn't really been an issue for me quite yet (Edit: Of course this is at 1080p). Naturally it isn't as good at physics calculations as modern CPUs are.

Of course there is definite bottlenecking. The difference in frames seen in 3D Mark demos going from 3.8 to 4GHz is definitely a few, but unfortunately I can't get stable at 4GHz...

Luigi87

Double post, but I just got my S2716DG, switched it to 144hz, looked at the mouse movements...

It's like that scene from 2001 o_o

Top Bottom