• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so i built a new pc: 1070, i7 6700k, 16 gb ddr4 ram

i watched nvidias short video about what g sync is and now i want it but im not sure what the ideal set up is

does unlocked frame rate + g sync on, 1440p, high/ultra seem feasible? what does that sort of setup feel/ look like?

so i built a new pc: 1070, i7 6700k, 16 gb ddr4 ram

i watched nvidias short video about what g sync is and now i want it but im not sure what the ideal set up is

does unlocked frame rate + g sync on, 1440p, high/ultra seem feasible? what does that sort of setup feel/ look like?

imo that's the perfect scenario for gsync. That's exactly what I do on basically the same setup (only difference is I have a 980ti), and it works great. On the most demanding games (Witcher 3, Deus Ex, etc.) you'll be fluctuating between ~45-60fps depending on how demanding the scene is, and with gsync on you get a smooth experience without any tearing. The only other solutions are locking to 30fps via rivatuner, playing without vsync and living with the screen tearing, or lowering the graphical effects until you hit 60fps.

jon bones

imo that's the perfect scenario for gsync. That's exactly what I do on basically the same setup (only difference is I have a 980ti), and it works great. On the most demanding games (Witcher 3, Deus Ex, etc.) you'll be fluctuating between ~45-60fps depending on how demanding the scene is, and with gsync on you get a smooth experience without any tearing. The only other solutions are locking to 30fps via rivatuner, playing without vsync and living with the screen tearing, or lowering the graphical effects until you hit 60fps.

great, i am really curious as to how 45-60 g sync fps fluctuation plays but everyone says its smooth

zoobzone

When I played Black Desert Online at launch, I had all settings maxed at 3440x1440, despite the in game fps counter showing fluctation between 15-25fps, the actual gameplay felt more like 50-60fps with GSync enabled.

When I played Black Desert Online at launch, I had all settings maxed at 3440x1440, despite the in game fps counter showing fluctation between 15-25fps, the actual gameplay felt more like 50-60fps with GSync enabled.

Just to clarify, you mean the framerate was jumping 15-25fps, not that it was running AT 15-25fps, right? Because for me, at around ~20fps, games feel pretty chunky even on gsync.

I've played some with G-Sync on the XB271HU, and I'm not sure what to think.

I'm seeing screen tearing and Dark Souls 3 is unplayable due to weird framerates (goes down to 30 sometimes).

Also, is it possible to run at 120Hz (G-Sync) while playing a game at locked 60fps? I really don't like the input lag at 60Hz.

Stoze

I'm seeing screen tearing and Dark Souls 3 is unplayable due to weird framerates (goes down to 30 sometimes).

Also, is it possible to run at 120Hz (G-Sync) while playing a game at locked 60fps? I really don't like the input lag at 60Hz.

Go to Nvidia control panel -> change resolution -> switch it to 120hz.

I haven't played DS3 so I don't know if it has certain issues with it, but you should almost never see screen tearing with g-sync on and it shouldn't affect performance in that way.

Corpekata

Banned
If it is going down to 30 FPS and you get screen tearing it means there's a setting overriding Gsync. Going down to 30 is a sign of double buffered vsync. I don't recall any issues with gsync and DS3, but a quick google shows some having issues with it. Might be driver or specific monitor related maybe?

And yes, 60 fps locked games on 120hz is fine. The only thing you don't want to play on a gsync monitor is 30 FPS games on 144hz settings, as gsync is not in effect at 30 fps.

riflen

The only time you will ever see tearing in G-Sync mode is if:

1. You have set G-Sync on and Vsync off in Nvidia Control Panel
and
2. The game's frame rate exceeds the maximum refresh rate of the display

To answer your second question, you cannot configure G-Sync to behave as you describe. The monitor will match the game's frame rate, that is the point of the technology. If you play a game that has a 60 fps upper limit, the display will refresh at 60 Hz and no more.
If you want 120 Hz and 60 fps, you should disable G-Sync mode. Put the display in standard mode at 120 Hz and use Nvidia half-refresh Vsync through Nvidia Inspector.

...The only thing you don't want to play on a gsync monitor is 30 FPS games on 144hz settings, as gsync is not in effect at 30 fps.

The display will not refresh at 30 Hz, but G-Sync is still "in effect". If it were not, you would see tearing. At 30 Hz, G-Sync will refresh the panel at 60 Hz and show each unique frame twice.
The minimum Hz a G-Sync monitor will support varies from model to model, but most often it is 40 Hz. Any frame rate below this will be doubled, tripled or quadrupled to match a supported refresh rate.

29561924764_3e3caa8ddf_c.jpg

Got my Predator. Will post photos later, but it's 98% perfect, the slightest bleed in the lower right, I wouldn't even call it that. God damn I'm so happy with it.

I'm thinking about picking up a Predator XB271HU, would this be a good choice? I feel like a 27-inch 1440p monitor is the sweet spot for me. Is there a better choice out there?

I'm thinking about picking up a Predator XB271HU, would this be a good choice? I feel like a 27-inch 1440p monitor is the sweet spot for me. Is there a better choice out there?

Perfect res for that real-estate, IMO. I had a 2560x1440 27" Qnix for a while and I loved it...til it crapped out this past weekend haha.

Just picked up the Asus PG348Q, set the panel to 100hz no problem....my God this thing is bliss.

CSX

Got myself the Dell 27in 1440p gsync monitor.

Was looking at the Asus but someone told me that both monitors used the same panel and I was able to get the Dell for $400 :p

My first experience with Gsync

holllyyyy shiiittttttt

What happened?

I'm not sure, I was playing Battlefield 1 and it started to flicker on and off. Suddenly the screen had a reddish hue all over and it looked like every other vertical line was out of phase. It was horrible, here is a picture of it:

I ran it overclocked to 120hz since the day I owned it. It probably played a factor in it :(

Skux

I took the plunge and am now rocking a GTX 1070 and Acer XB271HU. Upgraded from a GTX 670 and 1080p60 TN panel.

It's incredible. The picture is so smooth and so solid. Just started out with Overwatch but am keen to get into my backlog games now that I have a PC that can play them.

I took the plunge and am now rocking a GTX 1070 and Acer XB271HU. Upgraded from a GTX 670 and 1080p60 TN panel.

It's incredible. The picture is so smooth and so solid. Just started out with Overwatch but am keen to get into my backlog games now that I have a PC that can play them.

Quite jealous, I am looking at that screen to replace my PG248Q (because blacks are blue) Nut I only have a 970GTX and not really enough funds to get a 1070.

So everyone keeps saying this is normal for a TN screen, but I can't really find any mentions of this online.

Look at this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo57xvjedtta02a/IMG_0009.jpg?dl=0

This is the background for the binding of isaac on PS4, you can see a blue background with a diagonal black pixely line slightly to the right. Well here's the kicker; the blue background should be black. And here it is on 3DS:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5290298/Foto%2025-10-16%2016%2051%2009.jpg
, note; I have a TN screen in there, so why can this screen display the blacks like they are supposed to be displayed?

Also on the ps4 menu itself where you can change the RGB settings, it is supposed to look like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5290298/Foto%2021-10-16%2013%2052%2031.jpg

But in reality, the blacks are as blue as the binding of isaac screen (sorry, don't have the PG248Q here at the moment to make a comparison shot). So on the PG24Q this menu kinda fades into the normal PS4 background, and because the blacks are a slight gradient you get horrible colour banding as well.

With the banding I can live; but with changing blacks to blue? MEH.

So I'm rocking the Dell S2716DG, whats the preferred G-Sync set up?

G-Sync ON and V-Sync ON in the Nvidia Control Panel and V-Sync OFF in game?

Or V-Sync completely off and manually limit the FPS to my monitors refresh rate?

Vuze

So I'm rocking the Dell S2716DG, whats the preferred G-Sync set up?

G-Sync ON and V-Sync ON in the Nvidia Control Panel and V-Sync OFF in game?

Or V-Sync completely off and manually limit the FPS to my monitors refresh rate?
Yeah, Gsync on, NVCP Vsync on, game vsync off. Refresh rate will cap out at display max and you will have the full Gsync width.

Any movement on great 4K G-Sync panels? I've been waffling between then Acer XB271HK and the Asus PG27AQ since May. Have had a 1080 sitting on my kitchen counter for months...

Any movement on great 4K G-Sync panels? I've been waffling between then Acer XB271HK and the Asus PG27AQ since May. Have had a 1080 sitting on my kitchen counter for months...

Are you looking at a 27" 4K? Not sure if it's worth the performance hit seeing that a 27" 1440p is already around 110ppi. I have a 40" 4K Samsung that I am using as a monitor which is also at around 110ppi which is damn perfect. Problem is the screen is too big for me as a monitor. Yeah I know crazy talk. Picked up a 27" gsync dell from the Best Buy deal yesterday, so hopefully now I can see what all this clamoring is about with Gsync.

Looks like there is a bug that just recently appeared in Dark Souls 3 where if you have G-Sync enabled it black screens upon quitting the game. It's a bummer as I've never had any game specific issues with G-Sync before so I wonder what they did to the game to cause it. I had to go disable it for DS3 only in Nvidia control panel so that I could actually quit the game without needing to force reboot my pc. Nvidia should get on top of this kind of stuff now because if it spreads to other games it'll be a downside that shouldn't exist for G-Sync which is an otherwise amazing technology.

Looks like there is a bug that just recently appeared in Dark Souls 3 where if you have G-Sync enabled it black screens upon quitting the game. It's a bummer as I've never had any game specific issues with G-Sync before so I wonder what they did to the game to cause it. I had to go disable it for DS3 only in Nvidia control panel so that I could actually quit the game without needing to force reboot my pc. Nvidia should get on top of this kind of stuff now because if it spreads to other games it'll be a downside that shouldn't exist for G-Sync which is an otherwise amazing technology.

I haven't had any issues with DS3 and G-sync.

Are you looking at a 27" 4K? Not sure if it's worth the performance hit seeing that a 27" 1440p is already around 110ppi. I have a 40" 4K Samsung that I am using as a monitor which is also at around 110ppi which is damn perfect. Problem is the screen is too big for me as a monitor. Yeah I know crazy talk. Picked up a 27" gsync dell from the Best Buy deal yesterday, so hopefully now I can see what all this clamoring is about with Gsync.
I was, yeah, but I now have a good deal more desk space so I may go bigger. All I know definitively is I want G-Sync and I want 4K.

Corpekata

Banned

I've had like 3 freezes / crashes on DS3 since the DLC patch, and you'll see more than a handful of people talking about in the Steam forums. There's something odd about the patch.

Haven't had your issue of it not closing right, but now I'm going to try disabling Gsync if it crashes again and see if that helps.

I've had like 3 freezes / crashes on DS3 since the DLC patch, and you'll see more than a handful of people talking about in the Steam forums. There's something odd about the patch.

Haven't had your issue of it not closing right, but now I'm going to try disabling Gsync if it crashes again and see if that helps.

I hadn't played the game since around release, when I had no issues. So I think it is something to do with the latest patches of the game. I checked the steam forums and saw a few different threads about the issue and the solution being to disable G-Sync so that was the first thing I tried and it worked immediately. If it caused that quitting problem then I could also seeing it causing other issues like crashes etc.

Quite jealous, I am looking at that screen to replace my PG248Q (because blacks are blue) Nut I only have a 970GTX and not really enough funds to get a 1070.

So everyone keeps saying this is normal for a TN screen, but I can't really find any mentions of this online.

Look at this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo57xvjedtta02a/IMG_0009.jpg?dl=0

This is the background for the binding of isaac on PS4, you can see a blue background with a diagonal black pixely line slightly to the right. Well here's the kicker; the blue background should be black. And here it is on 3DS:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5290298/Foto%2025-10-16%2016%2051%2009.jpg
, note; I have a TN screen in there, so why can this screen display the blacks like they are supposed to be displayed?

Also on the ps4 menu itself where you can change the RGB settings, it is supposed to look like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5290298/Foto%2021-10-16%2013%2052%2031.jpg

But in reality, the blacks are as blue as the binding of isaac screen (sorry, don't have the PG248Q here at the moment to make a comparison shot). So on the PG24Q this menu kinda fades into the normal PS4 background, and because the blacks are a slight gradient you get horrible colour banding as well.

With the banding I can live; but with changing blacks to blue? MEH.

Anyone?

Meelapo

Neo Member
I'm hoping the new year brings some new G-Sync monitor. I currently have a BenQ 32" (2560 x 1440) and would love a G-Sync monitor but I just don't want to get anything smaller.I took a look at the ultra-wide 34" models and they are nice and wide but the loss in height didn't sit well with me.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Got myself the Dell 27in 1440p gsync monitor.

Was looking at the Asus but someone told me that both monitors used the same panel and I was able to get the Dell for $400 :p

My first experience with Gsync

holllyyyy shiiittttttt

Where did you get it for $400?

e90Mark

Anyone who was waiting on the X34P to be released this year will probably be sad, like myself.

There are more recent replies on their Facebook page, dating early this month about the release date being pushed to 2017. No quarter either.

jon bones

Anyone who was waiting on the X34P to be released this year will probably be sad, like myself.

There are more recent replies on their Facebook page, dating early this month about the release date being pushed to 2017. No quarter either.

what's the X34P?

i am looking to get a 34" g sync, 144hz, 1440p monitor next year so that might exactly what im lookin for

e90Mark

what's the X34P?

i am looking to get a 34" g sync, 144hz, 1440p monitor next year so that might exactly what im lookin for

Upgrade to the Acer x34, which is a 34" 21:9 1440p monitor @ 60hz but overclocked to 100hz. Most notable changes is native 100hz panel, probably overclockable to 140 range. Steeper curve, some material changes.

Was revealed earlier this year at Computex.

jon bones

Upgrade to the Acer x34, which is a 34" 21:9 1440p monitor @ 60hz but overclocked to 100hz. Most notable changes is native 100hz panel, probably overclockable to 140 range. Steeper curve, some material changes.

Was revealed earlier this year at Computex.

ohh yeah, that's the one thing i wanted out of that Acer x34 (didn't want to have to OC a monitor out of the box)

outsida

Damn I was waiting on that monitor.

kuYuri

Read about this on Reddit, I would be more bummed out, but this just gives me more time to save up for it along with the 1080 Ti. I'm still quite happy with my 1080 and XB270HU in the meantime.

Fellow owners of the Dell S2716DG, what are y'all display settings?

I've been reading all over trying to tweak mine just right but I'm curious what y'all went with..

Vitor711

Guys, I have the Acer Predator XB271HU and I think that GSync stopped working since I installed my new 1080.

I see tearing in Battlefield and Titanfall. The screen light is always blue and I've set GSync to on, both in the control panel (Set up Gsync and Managed 3D settings under monitor tech).

I always turn off VSync in game options as well as I thought you were supposed to. Is something up? Should I do a clean GPU driver reinstall? Any way to test if it's working? I have the Pendulum demo but cannot tell if that's just advertising it or actually testing.

I used the 'GSync display' overlay in the CP but it was driving me mad as there's no toggle to turn it off.

Top Bottom