• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe: Singleplayer games are like a film where your lead actor is retarded & autistic

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Do you actually have anything substantial that you plan on mentioning that refutes his Greece comment? Or maybe you would like to focus on the many varied comments by Valve's Greek economist and Professor of Economic Theory at the University of Athens, Yanis Varoufakis, about the state of Greece's economy?

you spent a lot of words and still managed to miss the mark. Congrats

it's called making a tasteless joke about a foreign country, something a certain other country is well versed at. Maybe Yanis Varoufakis doesn't give a fuck but it's still a tasteless joke

Risette

A Good Citizen
Can you explain the qualities of game characters that you feel qualifies them as 'retarded and autistic' without being offensive?
That's...pretty bad. I mean what is he trying to say, 'retarded' or 'autistic' people are bad? Unlike-able? Come on gaben! Get your act together!

Also what's wrong with movies about retarded or autistic people? Hell even an action movie with a retarded or autistic lead role would be interesting.
good posts:
JC Denton is absolutely a retarded and autistic protagonist.

EDIT: To elaborate, JC can only interact with others by talking through a pre-set conversation tree, or by hitting people and throwing things at them. He and the characters around him are basically incapable of acknowledging any socially awkward behavior he does short of setting foot in the women's bathroom or injuring other people.

This doesn't bother us much as players because we're accepting of rulesets limiting our ability to interact, but it's still a constant challenge in games that try to put the player in a world with other people. As much as designers can try to encourage us to play by the rules, we, as actors controlling the player-character, always have the ability to drive the whole thing off the rails through our actions.

It's a lot harder than you'd expect, which is part of why I don't have much of a problem with this particular choice of words. "Retarded" could probably be replaced with whatever the current medical equivalent is (Developmentally disabled? Mentally handicapped?), but there isn't another medical term for "autistic".

One thing I struggled with in my more complex post was finding a phrasing for what he said that didn't use his terms and wasn't inherently derogatory towards the 'lead actor'. He's trying to convey two separate concepts with those two words.
  • The player character may be physically fit, capable of running, jumping, and lifting things, but they're incredibly limited in how they can interact with their environment, through no fault of the player.
  • The player character may have the capacity for eloquence in limited contexts, but they're incredibly limited in how they can interact with other people, and they're prone to behaviors around other people that would be rude at best. A player character cannot and likely will not uphold basic elements of courtesy that come naturally to most people raised in society.

The language of mental illness makes sense here, because it's not a problem that can be solved by education alone. The interface of a game creates fundamental challenges in accurately simulating reality, and the medium itself (one with goals and rulesets, played for a person's entertainment) discourages any kind of real socialization with the AI. Other words (sociopath? idiotic? maladjusted?) only have use as insults or descriptions of poor character, and he's not trying to insult singleplayer games.

If his words caused this much confusion, it's obviously worth finding another way to describe it. But I do think they precisely hit a meaning that would be hard to reach otherwise. And brevity is important here, considering the thrust of his talk is about multiplayer, not singleplayer.

Tacitus_

That's...pretty bad. I mean what is he trying to say, 'retarded' or 'autistic' people are bad? Unlike-able? Come on gaben! Get your act together!

Also what's wrong with movies about retarded or autistic people? Hell even an action movie with a retarded or autistic lead role would be interesting.

That they can't interact with other people as 'normal' people can. Tbh, if I saw someone rolling in a circle around someone trying to talk to them or jumping around in a room while waiting for something, I'd expect that they're missing something from their mental faculties.

e: those sonicmj1 posts explained it way better than I did.

Did you even read it? He was talking about how the interaction the player has with the game is similiar to being retarded and autistic. He didn't say anything offensive and he wasn't insulting anyone.

I don't really have an issue with the words he used, but I have issue with the way he used them. He's using them in a derogatory manner to suggest that the main protagonist being "retarded and autistic" is a bad thing.

It's not about being politically correct, it's about not being a dick.

That's fair, however, I think most people would agree that it would indeed generally be a "bad" thing to make a feature film with a lead actor who is retarded or autistic. That doesn't mean it is bad to be retarded or autistic, just that they may lack certain characteristics that we typically look for in a lead actor.

Even so, I don't think that that is what he was saying. As others have said in the thread already, he was using them as a description for how a lot of silent singleplayer protagonists actually behave because of interface limitations inherent in the games. And that was not necessarily presented as bad, but just as fundamentally different than how players behave and interact in a multiplayer setting.

Can you explain the qualities of game characters that you feel qualifies them as 'retarded and autistic' without being offensive?
This hearkens back to an earlier point. If something is indescribable without being offensive, then someone somewhere needs to grow a pair and ease their ears out of their chastity belt. Otherwise our communications devolves into this.

Dlacy13g

Did you even read it? He was talking about how the interaction the player has with the game is similiar to being retarded and autistic. He didn't say anything offensive and he wasn't insulting anyone.

You clearly don't get it. His comments imply that speaking to a person who is developmentally challenged or autistic is a bad experience... just the association of those disorders with "issues in game" is in and of itself offensive. If he had said the interaction of the player is similar to talking to a "stupid n*gger" would you not be offended? There is no difference here...his comments are straight up offensive in both the tone and the implication.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Those are good posts that explain the reasoning of why he might have said it, but again, the comments he made completely generalise people with those conditions.

At best, he's being ignorant and, at worst, he's being a dick.
You know what else generalises people with those conditions? The medical definition for those conditions. Wow!
You clearly don't get it. His comments imply that speaking to a person who is developmentally challenged or autistic is a bad experience... just the association of those disorders with "issues in game" is in and of itself offensive. If he had said the interaction of the player is similar to talking to a "stupid n*gger" would you not be offended? There is no difference here...his comments are straight up offensive in both the tone and the implication.
He didn't say it was an issue or a negative thing at all. It's simply how singleplayer games are.

I'm not really offended but he probably could've said that better. I'm more offended by the anti-single player stance so many developers seem to be taking for thinly veiled financial reasons.

You know what else generalises people with those conditions? The medical definition for those conditions. Wow!
If he was a doctor giving a talk about those conditions you might have a point! However, he's not, and he's using the terms in a derogatory manner on a public platform.

Also, you shouldn't be offended when someone calls you retarded while playing online. After all, they aren't insulting you, they're just describing how you interact with the game.

Dlacy13g

He didn't say it was an issue or a negative thing at all. It's simply how singleplayer games are.

But he did, he associates the single player game with being like having a retarded and austisic lead actor... as in something that is a bad situation.

Risette

A Good Citizen
But he did, he associates the single player game with being like having a retarded and austisic lead actor... as in something that is a bad situation.
No, he's using them in a way that describes the way that singleplayer games need to be designed. Neither good or bad; descriptive.
If he was a doctor giving a talk about those conditions you might have a point! However, he's not, and he's using the terms in a derogatory manner on a public platform.

Also, you shouldn't be offended when someone calls you retarded while playing online. After all, they aren't insulting you, they're just describing how you interact with the game.
I don't get offended, but I'm sure their context of usage will be vastly different than Gabe's.

AkuMifune

Banned
No, he's using them in a way that describes the way that singleplayer games need to be designed. Neither good or bad; descriptive.
But sometimes I feel like the field of view is limited like my main character is a slant-eyed asian. It's true and descriptive, so it can't possibly be offensive.

I think you're the one that's making it negative or being overly defensive about it given your son's condition. Just my 2c.

That's not to say that there still wouldn't be people who are offended, but there definitely wouldn't be 13 pages worth of them.

There aren't 13 pages worth of people offended by Gabe's remarks. Most of the 13 pages are people offended at the very idea that someone else might be offended by Gabe's remark.

graywolf323

I don't really have an issue with the words he used, but I have issue with the way he used them. He's using them in a derogatory manner to suggest that the main protagonist being "retarded and autistic" is a bad thing.

It's not about being politically correct, it's about not being a dick.

thank you, I have autism and you summed it up better than I could

it's astonishing the ignorance being displayed by some people here and in some ways it's more offensive than what Gabe said

It's a lot harder than you'd expect, which is part of why I don't have much of a problem with this particular choice of words. "Retarded" could probably be replaced with whatever the current medical equivalent is (Developmentally disabled? Mentally handicapped?), but there isn't another medical term for "autistic".

AFAIK they are just about getting round to introducing "intellectual disability", but "mentally retarded" is still the official medical term.

Dlacy13g

it's astonishing the ignorance being displayed by some people here and in some ways it's more offensive than what Gabe said

Cheers to you, and I fully agree. There is a level of ignorance on display that honestly baffles me.

Vino

Banned

You mean the people who can't understand a simple text? That what Gabe meant wasn't about actual autistic or retards but the strange way the game character behaves?

graywolf323

You mean the people who can't understand a simple text? That what Gabe meant wasn't about actual autistic or retards but the strange way the game character behaves?

just because autistic people act different doesn't mean we're lesser

honestly I think Gabe picked the worst possible time to do this, the media when they aren't talking about guns have been talking about autism ever since Sandy Hook and there have even been calls to put everyone with mental problems into mental hospitals

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
All in all I think he should have avoided saying it that way just to be careful, but I don't see how he meant it negatively. At no point he said single player games are bad, just limited in the particular way the main character is allowed to interact with the world and people. He didn't infer there was something wrong with that, and multiplayer games are also limited in their own ways. sonicmj1's post expanded on the notion nicely.

Dlacy13g

Ignorance on display. "retards" REALLY? Read what you are typing...

mooooose

It was an ignorant statement but I'm nearly certain it was offhand and there was no malice in it, so really who gives a shit? This is ignoring the fact that calling people "retards" was commonplace slang only 15 or so years ago, and many people still use it.

I was more interested in what he actually meant than his choice of wording. Yeah, he shouldn't say it, but whatever, honestly. If you find it offensive then don't hang out with Gabe or play his games or whatever.

And plenty of autistic people ARE weird. Not all but if I was describing someone peculiar, I may offhandedly call them autistic, especially if I was joking and my main reason for saying it was to explain a LARGER point.

I understand my post is not going to change anyone's opinion but I do think people, by and large, need to take chill pillz about stuff like this.

v0yce

Again, I have to ask, if this was such a matter of fact, clinical description, then why did the audience laugh?

There are certain words that just offend some people regardless of context or intent. It's too bad this whole discussion had been derailed by Gabe's decision to use one of those terms.

I do find the statement interesting though, as it seems like his feelings are directly related to the way Valve likes to do storytelling in games (no cutscenes, silent protagonists, etc). This is certainly more immersive, but I have to admit it does sometimes feel like the character you're controlling is a bit of a shell.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Again, I have to ask, if this was such a matter of fact, clinical description, then why did the audience laugh?

Because the intended meaning of the word is not obvious instantly? People are used to hearing the word "retard" in a derogative manner. Your ear is fixed on that. I would have laughed as well at first.
Laughing is also a coping mechanism, when you experience new unknown situations. When Gabe Newell uses the word retard, you really don't know what to think. Is it reogative and I should feel ashamed that he used such a word? Should I be angry at him? What did he really mean?

I just finished watching the whole thing. mostly a economical talk about the change of developer-consumer relations.

the thread title was a joke of him. calm down.

I just finished watching the whole thing. mostly a economical talk about the change of developer-consumer relations.

the thread title was a joke of him. calm down.

It's still insulting to many regardless and was un-needed. Imagine if a company that isn't particularly liked such as EA would have said this? This thread would have been at 100+ pages at this point.

Possibly because they realized it was a simple but poignant comparison? Some single-player MCs do in fact behave as if they are disabled. We're often not thinking of their behavior through the perspective of the game world so this is an observation that might have escaped some people.

Or, maybe they laughed simply at the fact that he used the word "retarded" and would have reacted similarly if he had said "do do."

The fact that people laughed doesn't mean he was being disparaging. I laugh when people fall down the stairs; that doesn't mean they injure themselves for my amusement.

v0yce

Because the intended meaning of the word is not obvious instantly? People are used to hearing the word "retard" in a derogative manner. Your ear is fixed on that. I would have laughed as well at first.
Laughing is also a coping mechanism, when you experience new unknown situations. When Gabe Newell uses the word retard, you really don't know what to think. Is it reogative and I should feel ashamed that he used such a word? Should I be angry at him? What did he really mean?

And if there were any autistic people in the audience?

Can you see how someone describing a character as autistic followed by a bunch of laughing could be hurtful?

No one is calling to remove all color from the English language. Just try to be decent person and choose your words a little better.

That1Guy

"I like to tease Yanis [Varoufakis, Valve's resident economist] about the fact that Steam is five times the size of Greece," Newell said, "and that we have less debt."

I foresee bondfires of Valve games in Greese

cicero

you spent a lot of words and still managed to miss the mark. Congrats

it's called making a tasteless joke about a foreign country, something a certain other country is well versed at. Maybe Yanis Varoufakis doesn't give a fuck but it's still a tasteless joke

Except the ONLY reference to Greece by Gabe in that article was this:
"I like to tease Yanis [Varoufakis, Valve's resident economist] about the fact that Steam is five times the size of Greece," Newell said, "and that we have less debt."

So no, it ISN'T called "making a tasteless joke about a foreign country" at all, because it was in no way a "tasteless joke". Your standard for what makes a joke "tasteless" is ridiculous and delusional. Gabe teased his employee that Steam is five times the size of Greece, which can be proven here and here. And then teased him by saying that they had less debt, which can be proven here.

So Gabe mentions in passing how he liked to TEASE his economist employee Yanis during a lecture he was giving at the school where Yanis is a Visiting Scholar, and his teasing is based on factual evidence. But for you, and really, only you, it suddenly became a hugely offensive "tasteless joke"? Again, your position is ridiculous and delusional.

Vino

Banned
Ignorance on display. "retards" REALLY? Read what you are typing...

The name of a medical condition, but I guess you're too ignorant to know that?

And if there were any autistic people in the audience?

Can you see how someone describing a character as autistic followed by a bunch of laughing could be hurtful?

No one is calling to remove all color from the English language. Just try to be decent person and choose your words a little better.

Your attitude has the opposite effect you think it have.

sflufan

Banned
If he had said the interaction of the player is similar to talking to a "stupid n*gger" would you not be offended? There is no difference here...

There is VERY much a difference and I can't honestly believe that you can't grasp at the subtleties of it.

I'm usually a big sissy when it comes to calling people the r word, but I don't find this instance offensive. He really means it quite literally: the way you design a good, plot-driven single player experience is by treating the protagonist as developmentally retarded.

The outrage here is a bit off the mark.

Pavaloo

If he had said the interaction of the player is similar to talking to a "stupid n*gger" would you not be offended? There is no difference here...his comments are straight up offensive in both the tone and the implication.

But sometimes I feel like the field of view is limited like my main character is a slant-eyed asian. It's true and descriptive, so it can't possibly be offensive.

Where's the "NeoGAF" gif when you need it.

cicero

Again, the answer is that his answer encapsulated single-player games so well. The natural response for some in that situation, as in most similar situations, would be laughter. You assume malicious and malign intent on those who laughed, not to mention Gabe, unless you plan on graciously allowing for the possibility that it was just a mistaken word choice on his part. Ignoring of course the context of what he said, and the legitimate definitive use of the words he chose. This is just overblown politically correct hand-wringing and outrage over something entirely innocent and innocuous. Get real.

Top Bottom