• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe: 'We aren't canceling any projects'

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
From the confirmed layoffs so far, there is no indication that it's one division in particular. There's a business guy, some hardware people, some animators, a QA guy...

Yes, with the information we have right now is hard to speculate but if I had to guess right now the most plausible explanation will be performance review.

hope the people find jobs quickly

Yes, with the information we have right now is hard to speculate but if I had to guess right now the most plausible explanation will be performance review.

occums razor - more likely that next-gen development is taking its first victim

I still find it strange that so many veterans of the company got the axe after a simple performance review.

Gabe has been saying recently in interviews that they have been to easy on people in terms of firings and that they were going to be more aggressive now in cutting people who aren't working out right now.

Gabe has been saying recently in interviews that they have been to easy on people in terms of firings and that they were going to be more aggressive now in cutting people who aren't working out right now.

If that's the sole explanation for this, Valve needs to find a happy medium. A mass firing is going to bring some likely unwanted attention.

Jackl

If that's the sole explanation for this, Valve needs to find a happy medium. A mass firing is going to bring some likely unwanted attention.

Thats the beauty of being a private company. Unwanted attention from who? They have no board of directors, no parent company, no shareholders to please.

Thats the beauty of being a private company. Unwanted attention from who? They have no board of directors, no parent company, no shareholders to please.

They are freer than a public company to make quick decisions but they are a platform holder as well with publishers, developers and customers that are going to ask question.

We don't know how many people have been fired in years past, just that people probably weren't looking for them or they had less twitter followers.

Mrbob

Fan speculation is much different than publisher and developer speculation.

You made such a broad comment that publishers and developers are included. No other company is going to be asking valve a hundred questions based on personal business.

NeededSleep

I need Morgan Freeman to explain to me in his calming voice What The fuck is happening at Valve.

Its really disturbing to me that they would let this many highly talented people go.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What a dumb comment.

"We don't address personnel matters... unless people are actually curious, in which case we'll address them... to say we don't comment on the reasons behind our decisions... except to say that it's not any of the reasons you think"

*rolleyes*

Fan speculation is much different than publisher and developer speculation.

You made such a broad comment that publishers and developers are included. No other company is going to be asking valve a hundred questions based on personal business.

I wasn't trying to suggest that anyone would be truly concerned after a single incident and no publisher or dev would be looking to jump ship in fear of the future of Valve. I was just saying that platform holder like Valve has to be more careful about PR like this than your standard private company.

Tobor

What a dumb comment.

"We don't address personnel matters... unless people are actually curious, in which case we'll address them... to say we don't comment on the reasons behind our decisions... except to say that it's not any of the reasons you think"

*rolleyes*

It's kind of funny. He feels put upon and doesn't really give a shit, but made the statement anyway. I like it.

Booter

looooool. he should have just not said anything. what the hell did he think he would accomplish?

adixon

What a dumb comment.

*rolleyes*

Err.. should he have specifically said why they fired each person? That would have been... an interesting approach.

I guess saying nothing at all is what you're suggesting would make more sense? Or saying what their overall reasoning is behind firing, which assumes there is an overall reason... couldn't that be damaging to the people concerned, though?

Genuine question, what games does Valve have in the pipeline? Besides DOTA 2 if you count that...

What is DOTA 2 even doing at the moment? It's been in 'beta' for years seemingly, and they're handing out invites like candy (heck, I've got over a dozen and I've played it for 2 hours).

I'm sure they've got stuff lined up though, I'd like to see a L4D3.

Also, while it definitely raises curiosity seeing so many people let go, what do you expect Gabe to say? He's got no obligation to disclose reasons for terminations, that's internal business.

...maybe he really started thinking about Valve's 'soft' approach to firing, let someone go, and now is getting addicted to it!

iammeiam

Man, I hope whatever's really going on is as simple as cutting out specific projects or teams.

Working in single-owner small businesses in the past has me half-convinced all small business owners are paranoid egomaniacs who are periodically swept up in the need to stamp out perceived disloyalty based on thirdhand reports.

I don't think that's what's happening here at all, but it's my immediate go-to thought when I heard "Everything is fine! We fired a bunch of people for reasons we won't talk about, but it doesn't actually change what we're doing!"

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Err.. should he have specifically said why they fired each person? That would have been... an interesting approach.

I guess saying nothing at all is what you're suggesting would make more sense? Or saying what their overall reasoning is behind firing, which assumes there is an overall reason... couldn't that be damaging to the people concerned, though?

Commenting to say no comment is not commenting. Commenting to say "no comment except for any of your guesses are wrong" is also not commenting. Either don't comment, or comment substantively to end the discussion on the subject.

Orayn

What is DOTA 2 even doing at the moment? It's been in 'beta' for years seemingly, and they're handing out invites like candy (heck, I've got over a dozen and I've played it for 2 hours).

I'm sure they've got stuff lined up though, I'd like to see a L4D3.

Also, while it definitely raises curiosity seeing so many people let go, what do you expect Gabe to say? He's got no obligation to disclose reasons for terminations, that's internal business.

It's got about a dozen heroes left, will probably have a tutorial by the time it's "fully" released, and Valve is working on increasing server capacity to handle more players. Apart from those things, it's very close.

It probably boils down to complacency. If you work in a place long enough with no structure or requirements I'm sure there's bound to be a number of people who just decide they can get away with doing nothing. I imagine it's just removing redundancy and trimming the fat.

Slavik81

While it's nice to know what he says is not going to be affected, I'd really like to know what was affected. There's no way you can let go of that many people without it having an impact on something.

Future employees, current employees, customers, business partners.

Commenting to say no comment is not commenting. Commenting to say "no comment except for any of your guesses are wrong" is also not commenting. Either don't comment, or comment substantively to end the discussion on the subject.

Well he can't really come out and say these people were sacked because they were shit (not implying they were btw), that'd be a horrible move which would ruin careers.

He's simply coming out and saying that the company is carrying on as normal, due to speculation surrounding cancelled projects - it seems perfectly fair.

Maybe they weren't the right people for the roles? Maybe there were internal disputes? Maybe Valve are simply re-evaluating how they approach projects and realised they sadly don't need the staff at present?

Could be anything, but it's not really our business as consumers.

adixon

Working in single-owner small businesses in the past has me half-convinced all small business owners are paranoid egomaniacs who are periodically swept up in the need to stamp out perceived disloyalty based on thirdhand reports.

I don't think that's what's happening here at all, but it's my immediate go-to thought when I heard "Everything is fine! We fired a bunch of people for reasons we won't talk about, but it doesn't actually change what we're doing!"

I admit, my mind goes to the exact same place. I guess that's the problem with a benevolent dictatorship -- there's always the chance that benevolence turns nutty, or that it always was nutty and it was just that no one from the inside got their voice out for a while. So it's tricky to know how things are from the outside. It would really suck for Valve and Steam to implode though, with the way recent pc games and indie games have flourished out of that infrastructure being there. I hope everything's ok!

Lotto

Well alright then. Pretty bummed that Valve decided to let go of all of these talented people. Hope the best for them.

Sentenza

Well he can't really come out and say these people were sacked because they were shit (not implying they were btw), that'd be a horrible move which would ruin careers.

He's simply coming out and saying that the company is carrying on as normal, due to speculation surrounding cancelled projects - it seems perfectly fair.

Maybe they weren't the right people for the roles? Maybe there were internal disputes? Maybe Valve are simply re-evaluating how they approach projects and realised they sadly don't need the staff at present?

Yep, i wrote pretty much the same thing in the other thread.
I don't get all these complaints about how "He didn't explain shit"
What did you people expect? A detailed explanation of all the (real or perceived) shortcomings of everyone fired so far?

P.S. Just for the record, that's the post I was talking about:
Well, I would actually say that addressed a lot.
They firmly denied any restructuration or cancellation of previously discussed projects.

What they didn't address is why these people were fired, but that's understandable.
It would be extremely impolite and disrespectful of their former employees' privacy to do otherwise.

Let's imagine the reason is something very blunt and yet simple, like: "those people's overall productiveness over the last years was just pure crap".
Do you actually think they should state it publicly just to satisfy your curiosity?
Would you commend them for doing it?

Riposte

Valve's success is based on a deal with where they sold the ability to make Half Life 3 to the devil in exchange for prosperity. Now the words can't even leave Gabe's lips or else he too will be sent to hell.

adixon

Are you saying that you don't have enough to go on to believe him when he says "we aren't canceling any projects. No, we aren't changing any priorities or projects we've been discussing. No, this isn't about Steam or Linux or hardware or [insert game name here]"?

Personally, I get from that that they're still working on whatever steam box thing they've talked about recently and I still expect to hear about it sometime this year (valve time), that they also didn't cancel any game projects, and that Valve and Linux still seem to have a potentially healthy future ahead of them. Taken together, this suggests to me that there was no major strategic shift at valve, at least in any of these categories, which were exactly the things I was wondering about after hearing the recent news about firings (steambox and linux, anyway).

So it seems like substantive information in that it addresses what I was thinking about, but now you're making me wonder if there's some reason to doubt what I was hearing? Or maybe those just weren't the things you wanted to hear about?

Row

Banned

I bet it was something petty, like gossiping in the valve hq jacuzzi about gabe's choice of polo that particular day

Future employees, current employees, customers, business partners.

You think people being laid off from Valve is going to deter future employees in the video game industry?

Current employees got an email explaining exactly what happened or why they shouldn't be concerned.

No customer really cares and neither do their business partners who have probably laid off people too. They were also likely given some explanation if it affected them.

GAF is being GAF. This is business as usual for a company. Just that people here are aware that people are being laid off.

Well, I can't say this news really bothers me to be honest. For all I know, Valve's not even developing any games right now, so it makes me go "huh?" when all these employees were fired/laid off/resigned.

What were these employees even working on?

gtvdave

While it is impossible to know for sure, Gabe Newell sort of hinted at why this happened about two weeks ago:

Gabe Newell: Reflections of a Video Game Maker
http://youtu.be/t8QEOBgLBQU?t=25m13s

+

Report: Valve letting go of several employees as part of “great cleansing”
http://www.geekwire.com/2013/report-valve-letting-employees-part-great-cleansing/

Valve designer Greg Coomer:
"The short answer of how we handle terminations, really, is the same as we approach all other decisions at the company. It is a peer driven process."

adixon

Well, I can't say this news really bothers me to be honest. For all I know, Valve's not even developing any games right now, so it makes me go "huh?" when all these employees were fired/laid off/resigned.

What were these employees even working on?

Probably steambox / new source engine / crazy restructuring of steam with prediction markets etc. etc. they've been talking about, but honestly I have no idea :)

...so what was with all those layoffs?

Every company lays people off. Not every person that gets laid off is happy about it. Making it known on twitter when you have several thousand followers starts a flood

Despite what you might think, Valve isn't some company you walk into expecting to have job security through to retirement.

Probably steambox / new source engine / crazy restructuring of steam with betting markets etc. etc. they've been talking about, but honestly I have no idea :)

Well, I'm mainly talking about games. Valve still makes games, right?

Every company lays people off. Not every person that gets laid off is happy about it. Making it known on twitter when you have several thousand followers starts a flood

True, every company does indeed lay people off sometimes. Normal.

However, laying dozens of employees off, firing your senior hardware engineer, and having your Director of Business leave, all at the same time, is not normal.

Top Bottom