• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe: 'We aren't canceling any projects'

gdt

Well, I'm mainly talking about games. Valve still makes games, right?

For fucks sake yes.

Stuff that they've recently done:

Dota 2 (why wouldn't this be counted? I'll never play it but its certainly an interactive video game)
Portal 2 DLC
TF2 content/updates
Left 4 Dead 2 (wasn't there a major update recently?)
Half Life 3 (joking aside, we know they're working on it, Gabe said as much. No one has left the team, its not on the backburner, they're just not ready to talk about it or show it)

SparkTR

They're a pretty small studio. If something as ambitious as the Steambox really is happening, I imagine it'll be taking a whole lot of their resources and AAA game development (outside of Dota 2) will be taking a backseat for now. I don't doubt HL3 is being worked on in some capacity though.

DaBuddaDa

They're a pretty small studio. If something as ambitious as the Steambox really is happening, I imagine it'll be taking a whole lot of their resources and AAA game development (outside of Dota 2) will be taking a backseat for now.

I don't see how creating the Steambox hardware would require artists, game designers and testers to stop working on their game. Completely separate disciplines.

adixon

It's pretty normal for a company making any type of game console to hold back announcements of new games until they start showing off the hardware. Not sure if that's what is going on here, but it seems like one fairly obvious explanation, right?

And they do have some smaller recent releases, as gdt pointed out. They've just been slowing down a bit over the past year or so.

For fucks sake yes.

Stuff that they've recently done:

Dota 2 (why wouldn't this be counted? I'll never play it but its certainly an interactive video game)
Portal 2 DLC
TF2 content/updates
Left 4 Dead 2 (wasn't there a major update recently?)
Half Life 3 (joking aside, we know they're working on it, Gabe said as much. No one has left the team, its not on the backburner, they're just not ready to talk about it or show it)

DOTA 2 has been in "beta" form for a long ass time.

And you listed...updates/patches for games that came out years ago, and a game that's been in development (maybe) for 5 years? Really?

gdt

I don't see how creating the Steambox hardware would require artists, game designers and testers to stop working on their game. Completely separate disciplines.

Everyone stopped working on HL3 to design the logo for the Steambox for the last 8 months.

gdt

And you listed...updates/patches for games that came out years ago, and a game that's been in development (maybe) for 5 years? Really?

......Yes? People actively creating game content?

I don't know what Dota 2 being in "beta" form has to do with the discussion....all games go through betas. Whether people play the beta or not.

And Portal 2 came out 2 years ago. 2 years ago is the standard amount of times for studios to put out games. And I forgot Counter Strike: GO (in collab with another studio)

inky

Well, I can't say this news really bothers me to be honest. For all I know, Valve's not even developing any games right now, so it makes me go "huh?" when all these employees were fired/laid off/resigned.

What were these employees even working on?

Hey, serious question guise, does Blizzard make games anymore, I wouldn't know! *freaks out*

I mean, I guess they keep supporting their currently released games with patches and updates and expansions, but those don't count for some reason, because I want to be obtuse as fuck. And Titan has been in development for like 5 years too, so should we even count it? We know nothing about it and in fact it could be that it doesn't exist at all, so whoever mentions it is wrong.

Oh noes, Blizzard doesn't make games anymore guys, whatever will we do.

Hasn't Gabe been saying they've been too lenient with regards to firings lately? I can understand if people got complacent and started to underperform.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Couldn't care less about games they make. I just want STEAM to remain the same/become better as it is the only viable outlet for indie games right now. I enjoy iOS games but many games just aren't possible there.

And indie games are the reason why I'm still interested in gaming.

I think it's important to understand the kind of transparency (Or lack there of) the industry has.

Gabe has to come out and make a public statement about the way he runs his own company. It seems rather awkward to me. I mean, they create entertainment, but they (the developers) themselves are not the entertainment... Right? Sometimes I wonder.

Zeal

Banned
The layoffs seem like a sensitive subject, naturally. A lot of people obviously left unhappy. Real story will probably leak out slowly through anonymous interviews, etc.

EDIT: I seriously believe HL3 exists as approximately three pictures of concept art. All drawn on napkins.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I think it's important to understand the kind of transparency (Or lack there of) the industry has.

Gabe has to come out and make a public statement about the way he runs his own company. It seems rather awkward to me. I mean, they create entertainment, but they (the developers) themselves are not the entertainment... Right? Sometimes I wonder.

it's more about relationships with their business partners. If something big is coming people would like to know to prepare for changes.

ari

Banned
Why are these guys so secretive? They let us know they are supporting the most pointless operating system ever but not give us any hints on hl3 or something new? Go fuck yo self gabe.

Quasar

So I'm wondering what the whole Android connection is. Is there to be a Android Steam marketplace? Did Valve consider android as the steambox os at some point?

SystemBug

Gabe is still not being totally upfront about this.

I go over why I think these guys were laid off here - http://www.playereffort.com/?p=2887

In short I think they were working on a game (the sci-fi space ship thing) - it might have gotten cancelled and the dev team might have left Valve to do their own thing.

Gabe may have finally realise that the next gen consoles may provide visuals that surpass any PC that you'd stick in the entertainment unit without risking a fire hazard.

HL3 is never happening is it?
Valve is no longer a game developer, now it only pushes out updates to steam and has sales twice a year...

...Oh cripes, I don't want to play PC games if that happened. :( Valve is a big part of my video gaming history. I mean gahhhh, I still love the feel of Half-Life 2. I bought Dishonored just in hopes of just seeing more art work from the guy who did the Art work on Half Life 2. Half Life and Counter Strike was basically my late 90's gig.

eot

Banned
While it is impossible to know for sure, Gabe Newell sort of hinted at why this happened about two weeks ago:

Gabe Newell: Reflections of a Video Game Maker
http://youtu.be/t8QEOBgLBQU?t=25m13s

+

Report: Valve letting go of several employees as part of “great cleansing”
http://www.geekwire.com/2013/report-valve-letting-employees-part-great-cleansing/

Valve designer Greg Coomer:
"The short answer of how we handle terminations, really, is the same as we approach all other decisions at the company. It is a peer driven process."

Valve: the reality tv show

inm8num2

Has Valve firing people ever been a story like this before? Or is the first time them cutting people loose has garnered attention?

Lingitiz

Dota 2 hits over 200k concurrent players. I'd pretty much consider it equivalent to a full release at this point. It's easily obtainable if you're willing to take a few minutes to look.

TF2's MvM mode is pretty much equal to a new game. It has its own ruleset and maps and was all for free. It's certainly bigger than any update you'll see on consoles.

L4D2 continues to get smaller scale updates and now has workshop support. Portal 2 got the map editor with workshop support as well.

CSGO was developed with Hidden Path and has seen pretty consistent updates since.

And of course Portal 2 was released 2 years ago. All this while Steambox, Greenlight, Workshop, Steam Market, and whatever hidden projects are going on with Doug Church, Clint Hawking, etc.

Valve is just like Tool. They got serious shit going down and nearly everyone is kept in the goddamn dark.

Hope theyll be good news soon from both Valve and the former-employees.

Top Bottom