• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, Astrology is killing my relationship and proposed marriage!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Update 2-

Last week Friday, we had a long call in which she truly seemed frustrated about the situation. Her mom has been staying with het since past 3 weeks and I also was asking answers from her. It felt to me that these things made her feel completely drained and all she wanted was for her life to become normal again. While we couldn't end the talk as her mom kept eyeballing her, the next day I dropped her a msg that I understood she was frustrated, and I was tired of discussing the same thing again and again too. And so, we should meet for one last time, at the same place where we met first (a restaurant) and end it. She said she felt very bad after reading but said ok. I said nothing after that. 2 days after it she called me a few times and I finally picked. She said that she showed my msgs to her mother and started crying, at which point her mother finally relented a bit and said they would go to a few more astrologers, but meanwhile she won't talk to me. So she called me to tell me she was trying from her side but will call me after 2 weeks or so.
So that's where we stand. I suppose she did start trying again a little bit, earlier I had started to think she wasn't interested at all. Now I feel she wants but the situation has her too frustrated. Maybe me saying let's end it spurred her a little again.
So I wait, still almost as tense but it's not like I have any other option.

Update-

Just a little update. After a week (during which I was genuinely happy. Not because of us talking but simply because I decided to focus on other things. I was going out with friends, meeting new people) or so of talking in the most fun and jovial way, yesterday I finally decided to ask where this thing was going to head. She said that she didnt think there was much possibility of her parents agreeing and that she was going trying to show it to a couple of more astrologers and let me know. Since I knew what they are going to say and since I dont see her actually trying to wrestle it out with her parents, I just told her that she should only call me if there was a positive news, or never call me again as there was nothing more that I could say that I hadnt and that would change her mind. Post that we havent talked.
It was the only thing I could do somwhat maturely. I wanted to explode in anger and arguments about how stupid this is, but I decided to remain calm and just ended it. Did I do the right thing?

Original post-

And its tearing me apart!
Me and my gf have been in a relationship since 2 years and we love each other very much. With great difficulty we got her parents to at least start thinking of me as future son-in-law and all. We have this practice here in India where the families go to astrologers and based on your birth place and time and shit they predict if this is a good match. There were some issues mentioned by the astrologers earlier but they were also saying they will be solved by some rituals etc. Now suddenly all astrologers have started saying that if we get married I will die within 6 months and what not and hence this cant be done and there is no solution. Her parents have now freaked out and effectively refused to get us married. After a lot of melodrama, to me it looks like she might also give up as her parents are doing lots of emotional drama. This is killing me as I had imagined my whole life with her and its as if my life is shattering in front of me. I showed to 2-3astrologers and all of them are saying the same thing now.
Never thought this shit would happen to me. I am going through hell right now. :(
At least I am glad people in western countries dont have to deal with this bullshit.

Last edited:

Alx

Take a life insurance, so that if you die within 6 months, your wife gets rich. And if you don't, well you proved the astrologers wrong and can continue living as a happy couple.

mrkgoo

This is indeed unfortunate. It is hard to go against one's belief system.

Maybe you can work it to your advantage, for example say that the predictions are merely that and not set in stone, and the love for their daughter is strong and worth the risks?

Maybe find another astrologer that has a different outcome just to prove that it isn't all set?

Maybe try to get them to see any instances where the astrologers have been wrong in the past.

Otherwise it's attempting to do it anyway without approval, which is possible to get later, although it can be a long hard road (I knew a mixed-race couple where the daughter's Indian parents disapproved of the relationship to the point where they refused to attend the wedding. There was eventual acceptance, especially after they got grand children lol).

God Enel

First post best idea ever.

Seriously though OP I'm from Europe and i can't even imagine that is still a thing. That's totally not my culture so i can't give any advice. Imho things like that are total bullshit - and i don't want to disrespect your religion or parents or you or whatever. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that two people loving each other shouldn't get married because some guy saying that the marriage will be shit/whatever. (Though it could happen but not because some guy says so.)

Edit: would it be a problem to live together unmarried? If not then be happy without a marriage.

Last edited:
I was guessing you were Indian based off the topic title. I have a coworker who is India and had to go through a bunch of horology analysis when he got married to his wife.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Take a life insurance, so that if you die within 6 months, your wife gets rich. And if you don't, well you proved the astrologers wrong and can continue living as a happy couple.

Lol. I could pitch that, just to see what happens.

John Day

Man that’s an uphill battle in skates if i’ve ever seen one.

You VS. Family religious beliefs/culture, AND your girlfriend actually leaning on their side.

I’m afraid I don’t have much else positive to say, since personally I don’t share these beliefs or anything similar for this same reason (dumbas-anticuated reason for oposing things/making decisions).

I trully wish you the best of luck!

pramod

Banned
I just want to say that before my first marriage, a fortune teller told me that I was about to be scammed, and that's pretty much exactly what happened. I got divorced and had to pay her a ton of money.

Pejo

Man, that's an unfortunate set of events. Interesting that cultures around the world put actual weight into Astrology.

You could always try hiring a friend or random internet guy to pretend to be a legit Astrologist and give you guys a good review?

Do Indian insurance underwriters consult actuarial tables or astrologers?

ickythingz

Banned
Is this serious? In all honesty, if you guys love each other, tell everyone getting in your way to fuck off. Why would you allow anything to get between you and your significant other? Take charge. Besides if you are both truly in love then she wont care about all this garbage either and will put you ahead of everything. Anything less and you may not be with the right one.....

TrainedRage

Banned
Me and my gf have been in a relationship since 2 years and we love each other very much. With great difficulty we got her parents to at least start thinking of me as future son-in-law and all. We have this practice here in India where the families go to astrologers and based on your birth place and time and shit they predict if this is a good match. There were some issues mentioned by the astrologers earlier but they were also saying they will be solved by some rituals etc. Now suddenly all astrologers have started saying that if we get married I will die within 6 months and what not and hence this cant be done and there is no solution. Her parents have now freaked out and effectively refused to get us married. After a lot of melodrama, to me it looks like she might also give up as her parents are doing lots of emotional drama. This is killing me as I had imagined my whole life with her and its as if my life is shattering in front of me. I showed to 2-3astrologers and all of them are saying the same thing now.
Never thought this shit would happen to me. I am going through hell right now. :(
At least I am glad people in western countries dont have to deal with this bullshit.

Holy shit dude! I'm sorry. Is pretty bad that you both love eachother yet someone can tell you "nope, if you get married you will die. So don't get married." WTF? Can you elope?

Seriously though would you be able to see some other astrologers that may give you a different answer, in that case voiding the opinion of the dumb ass mother fucker who claimed you would die? I get the importance of tradition and culture but this is pretty shocking to see a fellow GAF user have to deal with this :mad:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
First post best idea ever.

Seriously though OP I'm from Europe and i can't even imagine that is still a thing. That's totally not my culture so i can't give any advice. Imho things like that are total bullshit - and i don't want to disrespect your religion or parents or you or whatever. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that two people loving each other shouldn't get married because some guy saying that the marriage will be shit/whatever. (Though it could happen but not because some guy says so.)

Edit: would it be a problem to live together unmarried? If not then be happy without a marriage.

I did ask the same thing from the astrologer, and told him that we are already in a relationship since 2 years and nothing happened. His answer was that being in a relationship and being married are two different things and that staying together without getting married will also have the same result :(

God Enel

I did ask the same thing from the astrologer, and told him that we are already in a relationship since 2 years and nothing happened. His answer was that being in a relationship and being married are two different things and that staying together without getting married will also have the same result :(

I'm really sorry for you and honestly don't know how to help you. What's the reason the astrologers are giving you bad future prospects? Has it something to do with your/her caste? Did someone speak to the astrologer beforehand and wants to prevent the marriage or is it just bad luck on your side? :(

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I'm really sorry for you and honestly don't know how to help you. What's the reason the astrologers are giving you bad future prospects? Has it something to do with your/her caste? Did someone speak to the astrologer beforehand and wants to prevent the marriage or is it just bad luck on your side? :(

No nothing to do with caste. Just some prediction based on our stars when we were born and what not.
I spoke to more than one astrologer and most of them said the same thing more or less. It's weird though as earlier all were saying that there are issues but some rituals will resolve them.

Shifty

If this isn't something that you and your gf can work out between yourselves, the only options I see are continuing on unmarried or ending the relationship. Not that those are great options, mind you...

Alternately, wait for the planets to move around a bit and get a second opinion in a few months. Chances are the astrological theme of the current stellar configuration is 'bad stuff and death' if you're getting the same reading from multiple sources.

llien

Is bribing the "astrologers" an option?

And, out of curiosity, is it Indian specific "astrology" or the one, popular in the West, that invented by those lovely dudes who believed Earth is flat and rests on elephants, who, if I am not mistaken, lived in Babylon?

royox

Man sometimes I say shit about my country but damn I'm so happy I'll never have to deal with this kind of supersticious shit.

I'm sorry for you OP but I can't say you anything usefull. You know that thing is bullshit.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Is bribing the "astrologers" an option?

And, out of curiosity, is it Indian specific "astrology" or the one, popular in the West, that invented by those lovely dudes who believed Earth is flat and rests on elephants, who, if I am not mistaken, lived in Babylon?

No this is specific to India. Which makes it even more stupid as 80% of the world isn't flowing it and they are fine!

Jmarshall

The Astrologers want you to pay them money for the stars to suddenly reveal that you will have a long and happy marriage.

OP, are these astrologers from the same town as the girl's family? Is the girl's family well off financially? If so I would get another opinion from astrologers that are from another city or state.

I believe astrology is a sham and they pretty much tell you what you want to hear. So if they are telling you the marriage won't work, maybe that's what they think the girl's family wants to hear.

Also, can't the girl have a ceremonial marriage to a tree before marrying you in order to get rid of this "curse"

Last edited:

Typhares

The Astrologers want you to pay them money for the stars to suddenly reveal that you will have a long and happy marriage.

I was thinking just that except that I think her family got there first and that's what 'changed their mind' from small issues solved by rituals to 'you're going to die'.

Last edited:
Bribe the future tellers. It’s all BS anyway do don’t feel bad about it.

The problem is that the fortune tellers are highly valued in his culture, even if not by him and his fiance directly. His potential in-laws and, likely, his parents all view these prospectuses as crucial for a good marriage.

This is why a lot of marriages are prearranged in India - the parents look for potential spouses for their children based on these outlooks. That's what happened with my coworker.

ChuyMasta

You'll never get it man, it has to do with stars and shit, they got special superpowers.

Why the condescending and sarcastic tone?

Maybe I phrased my first statement in the same way. To back it up, I am not buying how astrology and astrologers incluence your ability to make desicions.

Stars and Shit and superpowers?

Come on man. We are smart fellows in here.

John Day

Maybe I phrased my first statement in the same way. To back it up, I am not buying how astrology and astrologers incluence your ability to make desicions.

You might be taking what he said too serious. I thought it was clear he was being sarcastic with his first post.

Mahadev

Dude, I'm kidding, I thought the second post would make it obvious. I mean, c'mon, science behind astrology?

ChuyMasta

Dude, I'm kidding, I thought the second post would make it obvious. I mean, c'mon, science behind astrology?

I suck at this. My mind is not all there when picking up written cues.

Carry on!
I'll be in my corner.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Shitty titties, dude. Those charlatans should just take the money of the foolish as always and just say every marriage will be fine, if the couple wants that.

Unless you have first generation parents in the west :p
I gave a firm hard no to all of that shit, hopefully it sticks.

Kadayi

Banned

Is her name Lisa? Because If so, best let it go.

But in all seriousness. Maybe wait the 6 months just to prove the astrologers wrong, and then you can be 'how do you like them apples' to her parents. Though admittedly I'd tread carefully around them as the date gets closer in case someone tries to fulfil the destiny.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
OP, are these astrologers from the same town as the girl's family? Is the girl's family well off financially? If so I would get another opinion from astrologers that are from another city or state.

I believe astrology is a sham and they pretty much tell you what you want to hear. So if they are telling you the marriage won't work, maybe that's what they think the girl's family wants to hear.

Also, can't the girl have a ceremonial marriage to a tree before marrying you in order to get rid of this "curse"

Yeah that's what I did- taking opinion from different astrologers in different states. Out of 3, 2 said the same thing (that marriage isn't a good idEa), and one said there were only minor problems and that it was going to be fine. Lol
The tree marriage thing does get suggested in such cases, don't know why they aren't suggesting it in my case though. Maybe my stars are just too bad :p

It's Jeff

Banned
So lay on that corny stuff and say you'd rather die with her than live without her. Then:

At one year, you have a line of people that can kiss your sweet ass for doubting you with this, OR:

You're dead and don't give two shits about this banal corporeal ballyhoo. We're all going to die some day.

Go get her, buddy.

SeaSeal

Neophyte
I can impose the evil eye on this astrologer on a photograph or a picture in a pint
and what are the outputs of your ladle?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
So lay on that corny stuff and say you'd rather die with her than live without her. Then:

At one year, you have a line of people that can kiss your sweet ass for doubting you with this, OR:

You're dead and don't give two shits about this banal corporeal ballyhoo. We're all going to die some day.

Go get her, buddy.

haha I would get her in a heartbeat if she would let me man :(

I can impose the evil eye on this astrologer on a photograph or a picture in a pint
and what are the outputs of your ladle?

I have no idea what a ladle or its outputs are. But please do cast an evil eye lol

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The parents have given money to get the astrologers to say that.
They don't want you to marry her daughter.

It's not worth it. Move on, find another woman, you'll never beat the parents.

WaterAstro

Actually, I just heard about Indian astrology affecting a wedding recently. Astrology was used to determine the wedding date, and it resulted in a out of country resort wedding that will cost 3 times more expensive because of astrology lol.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Can't you just pay them to say everything will be fine? Since they are making their predictions up, they may be willing to change them given some monetary incentive?

Top Bottom