• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF do you wash your meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persona7

Banned
Seems idiotic to spread germs all over the place for no reason at all. Reminds me of people who think the flu shot gives you the flu.

Mook1e

Yes I always wash my meat. I always have.

But apparently I'm not supposed to.

Washing your meat... I'm curious by how much this increases the risk of food borne illness.

I've washed my chicken breasts for the past 3 years and have had zero issues.

Yes, I've never had an issue either, and I've done it for over 20 years.
My wife introduced me to the practice. I think she learned it from growing up in Jamaica. It may just be a hold-over from her mother washing their meat since the meat might not necessarily been as hygienic there, but she only lived there until her teens and has done it since living in the USA and around the world as well.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Of course not, that's ridiculous. You wash stuff you eat raw like veggies and fruit and the souls of the innocent. But unless you're a monster who hates the world, you don't eat meat raw. Not even steak, stop trying to make tartare happen, cook your fucking steak.

Zoe

Yes I always wash my meat. I always have.

But apparently I'm not supposed to.

Washing your meat... I'm curious by how much this increases the risk of food borne illness.

I've washed my chicken breasts for the past 3 years and have had zero issues.

Depends on how careless you are. You need to be mindful of water splash, even tiny droplets.

klaus

I need proof that I should not be washing my meat. Mere suggestion will not do. Do not post any links, I have google too.

You're honestly are increasing your risk of contracting a food-borne illness by washing meat, so no, I never wash meat.

Source: PhD in Food Microbiology

If it helps convincing you: This is the first time in my life I've heard that someone is washing meat. I live in Switzerland, people here cook a lot (by that I mean cook fresh / raw ingredients, not heat up processed food). It really is safe, the only important thing is to cook things properly, especially chicken. If you are bothered by slimy rests of the packaging, I can understand you want to get rid of it (I also do it when grilling bratwurst, hate that slimy stuff).

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Yes, I've never had an issue either, and I've done it for over 20 years.
My wife introduced me to the practice. I think she learned it from growing up in Jamaica. It may just be a hold-over from her mother washing their meat since the meat might not necessarily been as hygienic there, but she only lived there until her teens and has done it since living in the USA and around the world as well.

Your wife did you a culinary disservice.

Mook1e

Seems idiotic to spread germs all over the place for no reason at all. Reminds me of people who think the flu shot gives you the flu.
That would be idiotic. If a person did it in a manner as to spread the germs.
Like someone on an "as seen on tv" advert or something.
As such, I always do it into the sink, never over other items like dishes or foods, and of course transfer to a clean glass cutting board or plate for marinating or other preparation.

Mook1e

Your wife did you a culinary disservice.
I don't agree, but whatever.
My wife is an amazing cook.
She's learned different techniques from around the world from some of the best chefs in the regions we lived in. Including chefs from some of the incredible hotels in Singapore.
She was the residential manager for the US Ambassador to Singapore.

PillarEN

You're honestly are increasing your risk of contracting a food-borne illness by washing meat, so no, I never wash meat.

Source: PhD in Food Microbiology

Hmm, ok. Always happy to learn something new. So unless there is some crap that I want to remove from the meat I can go right away to cooking.

I really can't think of why a person would have assumed washing meat made sense. Like... you think rinsing it off is going to get rid of anything that blasting it with heat wouldn't have?

A Fish Aficionado

I don't agree, but whatever.
My wife is an amazing cook.
She's learned different techniques from around the world from some of the best chefs in the regions we lived in. Including chefs from some of the incredible hotels in Singapore.
She was the residential manager for the US Ambassador to Singapore.

All that amounts to nothing if you adopt ridiculous practices. I doubt those chef wash their meat.

Phu

Banned
I've never even heard of people washing meat. Like, what would be on it that water would take care of but not the heat from cooking?

Where did some of you learn about meat? From Rick Perry?

Rinsing your meat spreads bacteria and washes away surface proteins that allow for meat to brown correctly. The only acceptable way to wash meat is by braising it in a delicious stew.

marrec

Banned
I've never even heard of people washing meat. Like, what would be on it that water would take care of but not the heat from cooking?

Uhh let me tell you about a little thing call fluoride okay

It's in your water and when you wash your meat it makes the bacteria on the meat gay and so they stop reproducing okay and that makes the meat safer though honestly I'm not sure about the morality of forcing the bacteria to be gay like that, seems rude.

Anyway that's how it works trust me I'm a meat washer by trade

klaus

That would be idiotic. If a person did it in a manner as to spread the germs.
Like someone on an "as seen on tv" advert or something.
As such, I always do it into the sink, never over other items like dishes or foods, and of course transfer to a clean glass cutting board or plate for marinating or other preparation.

Well it really only increases the chances of you spreading germs accidentally, so why do it? The problem is even if you do it in the sink, you have to get rid of potential germs in the sink by cleaning it mechanically (just rinsing with water is obviously not good enough), so now there is a chance some bacteria are on your cleaning tool of choice or your hands. Water tends to spill / splash, even the tiniest drop could contain harmful bacteria.

A Fish Aficionado

I don't agree that my wife being an amazing cook amounts to nothing.
I also don't agree that it's a ridiculous practice.

This sort of stubbornness is I guess, what made Kitchen Nightmares possible.
In the kitchen I worked with, we just trimmed chicken and meat before cooking.

Makonero

I'm honestly baffled

do you guys use soap? because if not, you're basically doing the equivalent of washing your hands without soap, aka nothing

akira28

Hmm, ok. Always happy to learn something new. So unless there is some crap that I want to remove from the meat I can go right away to cooking.

usually the crap I want to remove from the meat is the slick wet stuff covering it when I cut the plastic open and let the meat juice pour out. you can have your delicious meat smeg, but that stuff, to me, is just a hassle. I like doing without it.

a quick rinse and paper towel pat dry, or an extended soak with lemon or vinegar and water. I get the whole "don't put raw chicken under a splashing faucet", bit and I know how not to spread germs. But I also like to dip me meat in a bit o water now and again too.

Anyway that's how it works trust me I'm a meat washer by trade

you know the science of this business, and I admire that.

Spenny

No, I've never rinsed my meat. In fact, I've never heard of anyone even mention this before. It's always straight into the marinade or straight into the oven/grill.

Makonero

usually the crap I want to remove from the meat is the slick wet stuff covering it when I cut the plastic open and let the meat juice pour out. you can have your delicious meat smeg, but that stuff, to me, is just a hassle. I like doing without it.

a quick rinse and paper towel pat dry, or an extended soak with lemon or vinegar and water. I get the whole "don't put raw chicken under a splashing faucet", bit and I know how not to spread germs. But I also like to dip me meat in a bit o water now and again too.

dude that is not what people mean by "getting your meat wet"

Eh. It depends? Sometimes there are blood/veins/feathers still on your meat and a quick cold rinse and bit cleaning get rid of it. Always clean your sink after cooking/meals too. It is prone to have bacteria if you actually cook and wash something.

h1nch

When I first started cooking for myself I used to wash chicken, but then after reading a bunch of articles on why it wasn'a good idea, and listening to advice of knowledgable friends who echoed the same sentiment, I stopped doing it. Now I just pat-dry with paper towels before tossing into marinade or on the grill or w/e.

A Fish Aficionado

Pat-dry is a good thing. It's the same principle as having a salty brine, seasoning, or marinade. You want excess moisture out.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Well it really only increases the chances of you spreading germs accidentally, so why do it? The problem is even if you do it in the sink, you have to get rid of potential germs in the sink by cleaning it mechanically (just rinsing with water is obviously not good enough), so now there is a chance some bacteria are on your cleaning tool of choice or your hands. Water tends to spill / splash, even the tiniest drop could contain harmful bacteria.
Just get a new kitchen and burn the old one, just to be sure. Dem salmonella particles might deploy guerrilla tactics.

no-no-man-shit-no-man.gif

I'm shocked to learn that it's not a normal thing to wash meat before cooking.
It's just a thing that my parents have always done, but I assume it's because we grew up buying meat from open-air markets and butcher shops in a tropical climate with flies and shit just freely flying about.

Mook1e

This sort of stubbornness is I guess, what made Kitchen Nightmares possible.
In the kitchen I worked with, we just trimmed chicken and meat before cooking.
What stubbornness?
Stating my opinion and experience is stubbornness? Why? Because it's contrary to yours?
My kitchen is anything but a nightmare.
My wife's culinary skills are really top notch.

I get it, you worked in a kitchen. So did she. In a few different places. Never had a complaint.
Traveling as much as we do, with the different types and levels of regulations on the handling of meat in different countries. I'm happy to continue what we've been doing successfully for as long as we have.
I've also had some horrible experiences in some crazy places which make me cautious of meat and handling of food.

PillarEN

It makes me sort of relieved to read other people washed their meat before cooking because of their parents. Dammit mother! Look at me now. I'm a fool who has been washing meat religiously simply because I was trying to follow in your footsteps.

do you guys also wash deli meat? it can be a little slimy, better wash off that bacteria slime

...... fuck. I hate myself now for not ever thinking about it that way.

klaus

do you guys also wash deli meat? it can be a little slimy, better wash off that bacteria slime

Heh I also don't like it if there is a little aspic / gelatine (that's what makes the deli meat slimy as far as I know), but really like it in bigger qunatities for some weird reason :)

vivftp

I find all this hilarious cause once I got my sous vide machine I bought 2 large packs of chicken breasts and there I was, running them under the tap for a good 2 minutes each.

Sigh... Well at least food prep will be simpler from now on.

entremet

I worked in a restaurant as a cook and we never washed meat under water. It's actually very unsafe to that since water carries pathogens easier.

Heat kills pathogens. Heat in the cooking process. Not water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom