• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF do you wash your meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
What stubbornness?
Stating my opinion and experience is stubbornness? Why? Because it's contrary to yours?
My kitchen is anything but a nightmare.
My wife's culinary skills are really top notch.

I get it, you worked in a kitchen. So did she. In a few different places. Never had a complaint.
Traveling as much as we do, with the different types and levels of regulations on the handling of meat in different countries. I'm happy to continue what we've been doing successfully for as long as we have.
I've also had some horrible experiences in some crazy places which make me cautious of meat and handling of food.

Why do an extra step if it is unnecessary? Trim, cut, season or marinade, and cook. Simple.

Wash... Meat.

Man... Why... I mean...

Christ...

I just showed this to my mother and grandmother and they are both completely confused.

What do you hope to achieve with this washing of meat?

You wanna get rid of bacteria? Then cook that fucker. Or, if you're too scared, get a blowtorch and run it across the outside of the piece. It'll kill more bacteria than rinsing it.

Yes I always wash my meat. I always have.

But apparently I'm not supposed to.

Washing your meat... I'm curious by how much this increases the risk of food borne illness.

I've washed my chicken breasts for the past 3 years and have had zero issues.

You would also have 0 issues if you didn't wash it because washing it is fucking stupid

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The water from rinsing isn't going to get absorbed back into the meat.

In this case, rinsing does serve a purpose because you don't want to eat a crust of salt.

Oh. I misread.

I thought he was doing this before salting. Not after.
Mybad.

nilbog21

Banned
This practice makes literally 0 sense, unless you accidently dropped your poultry in a batch of dirty cat litter I guess

Do you rinse your hands with cold water to clean them? Like what are you thinking??

Kal

I only rinse chicken, but I'm not rinsing it to get rid of the germs or bacteria; I buy chicken breasts in bulk over here in the UK from musclefood and usually get 11-12 breasts in each 2.5kg pack. When you open the pack it smells rank but I think this is because it was packed with some gas (maybe to preserve it?) and sometimes there might be a bit of blood or excess fat that comes off easy when rinsing.

Zoe

I only rinse chicken, but I'm not rinsing it to get rid of the germs or bacteria; I buy chicken breasts in bulk over here in the UK from musclefood and usually get 11-12 breasts in each 2.5kg pack. When you open the pack it smells rank but I think this is because it was packed with some gas (maybe to preserve it?) and sometimes there might be a bit of blood or excess fat that comes off easy when rinsing.

So you're cool with all that fat just clogging up your pipes?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
sorry USDA but I'm gonna wash my meat. If at least it gets a quick dip into some cold water. I don't know what happened between my kitchen and the slaughterhouse, but I know there won't be any fecal anything on my stove..
I said I understand this but I still feel uncomfortable unless I at least put chicken under water. I do not care what that website says. It's an innate feeling and that's it. Hopefully over time I drop the habit.
Even after being shown scientific evidence you guys cling to your positions. You're no different than anti-vaxxers or climate change deniers.

Washing meat is not only unnecessary, it's potentially unsafe, especially chicken as you increase risks of campylobacter food poisoning.

Cooking the meat is what gets rid of the bacteria, not washing it. Christ.

Not washing meat goes totally against my culture. My family thoroughly washes/clean all meats with lime and vinegar. I think it's a Caribbean thing.

entremet

Even after being shown scientific evidence you guys cling to your positions. You're no different than anti-vaxxers or climate change deniers.

Washing meat is not only unnecessary, it's potentially unsafe, especially chicken as you increase risks of campylobacter food poisoning.

Now you understand Trump lol. Reason, logic, and evidence don't convince ppl.

ReAxion

Oh. I misread.

I thought he was doing this before salting. Not after.
Mybad.

Yeah there was a pat dry after rinsing the salt off. It didn't remove a whole lot of water either, just recirculated the meat's water with added salt this time. It was a dry brine before I knew what a dry brine was.

Jazz573

0z7pboO.gif

Thanks for this, my mom washes chicken. I should probably tell her not to do so.

I never wash my chicken, personally.

Dartastic

Depends. If you've marinated it or something like that, there are times where you're going to want to gently rinse off the maranade and pat it dry.

Outside of that scenario, HELL no. In fact, that's something you absolutely don't want to do. You want the surface of your meat to be as dry as possible before you cook it in the vast majority of situations, because if your meat is moist on the outside you steam it at first and prevent it from browning, which creates a lot of flavor.

If your meat is slimy or smells bad, that's because it's starting to go bad. Rinsing it or cooking it WILL NOT HELP. Do not eat it. Throw it out. You are risking getting sick.

Not washing meat goes totally against my culture. My family thoroughly washes/clean all meats with lime and vinegar. I think it's a Caribbean thing.
That's not washing. That's marinating. You're using the acidity of the vinegar and lime to break down some of the proteins of the meat, create flavor, and depending on the dish, even cook it. It's very different. You should read this. http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/07/the-food-lab-ceviche-and-the-science-of-marin.html

The chicken thighs I buy in bulk at Costco are in a pink solution. I wash that off before seasoning/marinating. That's the only time I wash meat.

PillarEN

we're in the era of feelings

that's all that matters, what feels right

Eh but that veers into right and left territory. We even had a thread on that about non-scientific things that are accepted on the left more casually. Usually related to healthy living and pseudoscience stuff that markets itself on natural or organic fallacies.

klaus

That last sentence wasn't necessary. I am a huge proponent of the scientific method, but using "scientific evidence" as a blunt weapon to end an argument is certainly not scientific. Science can only thrive when people can have an open, unbiased discussion and doubt is its core prerequisite.

Edit: To be fair, you linked a source with further information after the quoted text, so that certainly can be helpful for the discussion. It's just that I've read an interesting article today that raised some good points on why many people are so skeptical about experts / "trusted sources" / "scientific proof" etc. Let's not pretend that there (unfortunately) are / were lots of cases where scientific results were quoted or published in a biased way by corporations or governments (or even overly ambitious individuals) for their benefit alone. There have also been lots of forged results that were shown to be wrong later on. And of course there also have been tons of honest mistakes in interpreting empiric evidence by honest scientists in the past.

That of course does not invalidate all the great results science has produced over the last hundreds of years, but it means that you have to be careful when citing sources and be willing to discuss their credibility / reliability.

Now you understand Trump lol. Reason, logic, and evidence don't convince ppl.
I wouldn't be sure about that, acting smug certainly won't.

Makonero

Eh but that veers into right and left territory. We even had a thread on that about non-scientific things that are accepted on the left more casually. Usually related to healthy living and pseudoscience stuff that markets itself on natural or organic fallacies.

I agree, it's a non-partisan era of feelings

Hmm, ok. Always happy to learn something new. So unless there is some crap that I want to remove from the meat I can go right away to cooking.

It definitely seems counter-intuitive, but washing meat just increases the risk that you splash micro-droplets containing potentially harmful bacteria around your kitchen (sink, counter, handles, etc). Unless you visibly see a contaminant on the meat, there's no need to wash it... and if you see a physical contaminant (paper, plastic, metal, feces, etc), you should probably just get a refund anyway.

The basic idea is that properly heating meat will kill any living bacteria that could be harmful. There are some rare exceptions, such as if meat has sat for far too long (especially outside of a fridge or freezer) that bacteria could produce toxins (not bullshit "flushing toxins out of my system using a weird fad diet" but actual legit toxins that can cause diarrhea) which in some cases are heat-resistant. The best advice is to 1) properly store meat in a fridge or freezer, 2) use it before its expiration date, and 3) cook it thoroughly. If you follow all three steps, it's exceedingly rare that you'll get sick from meat even if it did have pathogenic bacteria when you first purchased it. And, finally, don't worry about washing your meat: you're wasting your time, wasting water, and literally increasing your risk of spreading food-borne pathogens around your kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom