• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF FOTY 2014-Fail Of The Year-Results- Winner of the 2014 shit sandwich goes to...

AlphaDump

Gold Member
All FOIA requests regarding the FBI investigations have been denied so there is no more information currently.

Any particular reason you're so curious? You seem to be beating around the actual question you want to ask. I'd be happy to answer for you though.

I want people to be held accountable, and if so, reported, if they haven't already. I saw videos and links being posted of the types of people in question, so I figured at some point someone must have got busted, or at least hoped they did.

it'd be nice to have these peoples names or faces compiled into a list so they are no longer anonymous, and perhaps cut this thing off at the head.

marrec

Banned
I want people to be held accountable, and if so, reported, if they haven't already. I saw videos and links being posted of the types of people in question, so I figured at some point someone must have got busted, or at least hoped they did.

it'd be nice to have these peoples names or faces compiled into a list so they are no longer anonymous, and perhaps cut this thing off at the head.

Ah, I see.

It's just hard to pin this kind of harassment down. Most of the people doing this have been doing it for the better part of their young lives and so have gotten very very good at deflecting and hiding.

Which is why the very best way to "handle" Gamergate is to unequivocally come out against it.

Something that many in the gaming industry have yet to do, for some reason.

CHC

Gamergate is a solid winner. To this day I have no idea what it means to be a pro or anti Gamergate, but the whole thing was just very shameful. That said I'm glad we don't have a new thread almost every day about race and gender in gaming, I think too much of that really started distracting from just playing games and having fun. Just a lot of assumptions and leaps of logic getting thrown around ultimately for nobody's benefit.

Kinsei

Banned
Gamergate is a solid winner. To this day I have no idea what it means to be a pro or anti Gamergate, but the whole thing was just very shameful. That said I'm glad we don't have a new thread almost every day about race and gender in gaming, I think too much of that really started distracting from just playing games and having fun. Just a lot of assumptions and leaps of logic getting thrown around ultimately for nobody's benefit.

Do you hate women? If the answer is no then you're anti Gamergate.

Nanashrew

Banned

Ah, I see.

It's just hard to pin this kind of harassment down. Most of the people doing this have been doing it for the better part of their young lives and so have gotten very very good at deflecting and hiding.

Which is why the very best way to "handle" Gamergate is to unequivocally come out against it.

Something that many in the gaming industry have yet to do, for some reason.

I think when all is said and done, I beleive RogueStar Gamez/Slade Villena will be one of the major ones to be arrested for his relentless assaults on people and doxxing IGF people. I'm sure he's on record somewhere when one doxxed address was actually to the FBI headquarters. He's former military so it shouldn't be hard to pull up his records or work history. He doesn't hide behind anything and wants his name to be known.

Just the FBI is taking its sweet time.

EGM1966

Nasty for Unisoft that even with such an obvious outright winner and vote magnet as Gamergate they still named such a convincing second place.

From a developer/game standpoint it's clearly a landslide against Uni.

Glad to see Gamergate recognised for the horror show it is.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
congrats, insecure teenage misogynist scumbags around the world!

Good.

As a couple of people pointed out, it's quite incredible that something managed to beat last year.

if you actually play games and ignore all the extraneous shit like adam orth, reggie fils aime, hideki kamiya etc etc. etc. - then you would for real see that -

broken games caused the widest, largest fail of the year
Gamergate has nothing to do with Adam Orth, Reggie, Kamiya or anything like that. And it doesn't even matter because that's irrelevant. It's a big thing for the industry.

---

That said I'm glad we don't have a new thread almost every day about race and gender in gaming, I think too much of that really started distracting from just playing games and having fun. Just a lot of assumptions and leaps of logic getting thrown around ultimately for nobody's benefit.
One of two, or make it even 3, threads on the first page about social issues in games/the industry, really isn't that much.

Meh, it is impossible to even define gamergate, so I don't see how it qualifies.
I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but we can look at the movement's actions.

I would have put broken games first. Why?

Because broken games affected nearly all gamers this year. But Gamergate affected a select few people. Hell, I don't know anyone outside of Gaf who even knows what Gamergate is (Even people on this forum are asking).
Broken games haven't affected nearly every gamer either. Not nearly every gamer buys AAA games.

Anyway, just because Gamergate doesn't affect that many gamers directly, that doesn't mean it's not a big deal. Gamers having to experience broken games really isn't that big deal when you compare it to people getting rape/murder/school shooting threats and get bullied continuously.

It has also been featured in multiple major (like NY Times) outlets. That paints a pretty bad picture about the whole games industry. Women have already had troubles in the games industry as it is, but now they're even more obvious and more women will think twice whether or not they want to enter the industry.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I think when all is said and done, I beleive RogueStar Gamez/Slade Villena will be one of the major ones to be arrested for his relentless assaults on people and doxxing IGF people. I'm sure he's on record somewhere when one doxxed address was actually to the FBI headquarters. He's former military so it shouldn't be hard to pull up his records or work history. He doesn't hide behind anything and wants his name to be known.

Just the FBI is taking its sweet time.

that is good information, and i think really helps start to narrow down and help define GamerGate's issues at its core. to me, the mention of whatever cause it attempted to bring to the table is irrelevant, and is now ultimately surmised by the above.

shit gets real when it wins over broken games.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, reading about race and gender in gaming distracts from playing games. As opposed to reading any other kinds of threads, which... don't distract from playing games? I don't get it :/

Yep, reading about race and gender in gaming distracts from playing games. As opposed to reading any other kinds of threads, which... don't distract from playing games? I don't get it :/

The logic they're working with is that the harassment is for a noble cause. Because things staying exactly the same, problems and all, is much more preferable than inclusiveness.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm not sure if you're being dense on purpose or if you really are taking the "No Girls Allowed" completely and 100% literally.

I'm taking it literally, because if you want to give someone an explanation of what something is about it should be correct. I'm arguing that it is easily possible to describe the gamergate movement correctly, while still making clear why it's dangerous and that I think hyperbole like saying their stance is "no girls allowed" is not helping the cause but hurting it. Of course you can argue you only meant it figuratively, but then I have to say this is not a good way of explining what is happening, because when you say "it's figuratively akin to no girls allowed" different people will understand vastly different things and thus it doesn't explain anything but an emotion.

I like the top 2, but broken games should go above MCC since really it fits with it.
Although I would put Gamergate as Fail of the Decade more than anything.

Nice, but despite the name GG is hardly related to gaming.
It relates more to the people who play and develop games more than anything else. If you are talking about games without taking into context who plays/makes them, Ubisoft is the clear winner.

antitrop

I've tried for weeks to figure out what the fuck gamergate was, is, and was trying to be. I still have nothing.

To understand it, I think you really have to have been following it or at least aware of it since its inception back in August or whatever. It's been such a mess that trying to piece it together now is completely futile.

It basically all started because of accusations of impropriety regarding a female indie game developer and games journalists she was allegedly sleeping with. So some posited that she was sleeping around for positive coverage of her game and here we are.

It's all so dumb that I'm still baffled it go this far. I just don't even

I would have put broken games first. Why?

Because broken games affected nearly all gamers this year. But Gamergate affected a select few people. Hell, I don't know anyone outside of Gaf who even knows what Gamergate is (Even people on this forum are asking).
I didnt buy no MCC or Assassin's Creed, but I was affected by #GamerGate when people started giving me weird looks when they saw I liked games before I explained that I don't hate women.

I know people outside of GAF and outside of the industry who know what #GG is, and I haven't heard anyone outside of GAF complain about those games. My anecdote beats yours!

I'm taking it literally, because if you want to give someone an explanation of what something is about it should be correct. I'm arguing that it is easily possible to describe the gamergate movement correctly, while still making clear why it's dangerous and that I think hyperbole like saying their stance is "no girls allowed" is not helping the cause but hurting it. Of course you can argue you only meant it figuratively, but then I have to say this is not a good way of explining what is happening, because when you say "it's figuratively akin to no girls allowed" different people will understand vastly different things and thus it doesn't explain anything but an emotion.

I think a better way of putting it is that GGers are okay with women adapting to the "Boys' Club," but they're not okay with the "Boys' Club" adapting to complaints of women/minorities/feminists.

Parmenide

It's a backlash against socially liberal standpoints within video games and video game coverage/criticism.
I believe that was the initial intent but what I see now are only pepole (from both sides) pushing their agendas. Feminism and what men think about it seems an interesting debate but it's a social issue not a gaming one.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think a better way of putting it is that GGers are okay with women adapting to the "Boys' Club," but they're not okay with the "Boys' Club" adapting to complaints of women/minorities/feminists.

Yes, that is fine and I wouldn't have complained about that statement.

Crosseyes

Banned
I believe that was the initial intent but what I see now are only pepole (from both sides) pushing their agendas. Feminism and what men think about it seems an interesting debate but it's a social issue not a gaming one.
On the contrary I think it had the biggest direct effect on the gaming industry this year. Despite everyone clamoring about different broken games and how to fix them GG actually impacted the industry by driving out contributing female journalists and developers, permanently impacting the production of the industry now and discouraging who knows how many potential females wanting to get involved with it in the future.

It's both. As games are a means of expression and prominent form of mass media, discussion of these issues is important. If the medium is to evolve and mature, as well as reach out to a broader audience, we have to talk about social and political issues in the context of the medium and the community surrounding it. If we ignore these issues, they'll just continue to get worse.

I'll grant you that GG is also targeting more artsy, less traditional games like Depression Quest and Gone Home, but such games usually have more liberal bents to them.

image.php

It's called #GamerGate, I think the one thing these people say that I can agree with is that it's about gaming. It's about more than that too, obviously (neonazis hijacked it a bit a little while ago) but all in the context of gaming.

This is the new attack line being pushed by GG's 8Chan Overlords -- "SJWs are anti-gamers! Non-gamers are trying to tell gamers what to do!" It's a blatant call to try and stir up mindless tribalism, which is a lot of what's driving GG to begin with (among other ugly primal things.)

Never mind that all the central figures GG is attacking are quite clearly gamers, many of them actually devs. "They're not true gamers! They're more loyal to their stupid social justice crap! Gamers should stick together!"

How long before they start calling people G.I.N.O -- "Gamers in Name Only"? God, I probably shouldn't give them ideas, should I....

I didnt buy no MCC or Assassin's Creed, but I was affected by #GamerGate when people started giving me weird looks when they saw I liked games before I explained that I don't hate women.

I know people outside of GAF and outside of the industry who know what #GG is, and I haven't heard anyone outside of GAF complain about those games. My anecdote beats yours!

That's gotta be regional thing, right (US)? As a european, I doubt I'll find anyone, regardless if interested in gaming or not, that even has heard of the term gamergate.

Really? Driveclub didn't make top 3? haha ok.

I feel like a huge part of it is that there are plenty of people like me who were waiting for the free edition to try it out first. when that never materialized, I eventually just moved on to something else. I'd be more mad if it was something I paid for and it sucked.

That's gotta be regional thing, right (US)? As a european, I doubt I'll find anyone, regardless if interested in gaming or not, that even has heard of the term gamergate.

it might be, since this is where a lot of the devs are. But at the same time, it has been featured in major news publications in the US and at least the UK if not elsewhere.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Its an issue about content in games. Its a gaming issue

Lime

I am glad that you're not only reading a really short post with one picture literally, but also holding it to such high standards of adequately defining a complex social phenomenon like an online misogynistic campaign! This is truly the important issue at stake and not the issue of how a movement managed to damage the industry and hurt and harm people within it in the course of several months.

Eidan

This was GamerGate's to lose. It is the single ugliest thing I've ever seen associated with gaming. Because of these fools, video games became popularly associated with a hate movement in the mainstream media. Absolutely revolting.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but we can look at the movement's actions.

But can the idiots committing those action really be attributed to the movement as a whole? From an outsider perspective Gamergate seems to be far from the status of a unified movement that speaks with one voice.

beril

The logic they're working with is that the harassment is for a noble cause. Because things staying exactly the same, problems and all, is much more preferable than inclusiveness.

At this point I'd almost have more respect for the Gamergate if they didn't try to motivate their harassment and bullying by anything other than old school hatred of women. That's just pitiful and sad, but everything else they claim to stand for is also just plain stupid.

The ethics in gaming journalism debate is a just silly non issue. Gaming journalists doesn't have anywhere near the power or influence for it to even make any business sense for there to be any serious corruption regardless of any ethical considerations. No one would actually sleep with a kotaku writer just for coverage, it just isn't worth it. I listened to TB once, and all of the complaints basically amounted to journos and devs sometimes networking and having social lives.

And the small steps towards diversity and better minority representation doesn't mean that male power fantasy games targeted at straight white teenagers will be disappearing any time soon/ever.

But can the idiots committing those action really be attributed to the movement as a whole? From an outsider perspective Gamergate seems to be far from the status of a unified movement that speaks with one voice.

That's by Gamergate's own design, though. They stay anonymous so they can evade any responsibility for what's done in the name of the movement. The unavoidable downside to that is that they have no way to disavow anything done in the name of the movement either.

You can't have the protection of anonymity without having the liabilities of it as well. It's just not possible. Anyone who thinks they can has spent far, far too much time hanging out in ChanSpace. The real world doesn't operate like that and never will.

Mind you, Jimmy Wales has been trying to tell GG this for the last three days on Twitter and there's no sign whatsoever that they're paying any attention. Quite the opposite, really.

It sounds like you've been following it pretty closely.

Actually no; I had a friend explain the situation to me a couple of weekends ago and this is what I've gathered from various comments and topics and so on. I've ventured into the Gamergate topics a couple of times but could not make sense of what was going on.

How long before they start calling people G.I.N.O -- "Gamers in Name Only"? God, I probably shouldn't give them ideas, should I....
How did you not go with video gamer in name only -- vginos. Writes itself!

As someone in the industry GG was a dark episode, still echoing.

Tom_Cody

Actually no; I had a friend explain the situation to me a couple of weekends ago and this is what I've gathered from various comments and topics and so on. I've ventured into the Gamergate topics a couple of times but could not make sense of what was going on.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, to respond to your original post, it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it.

Levito

Banned
Personally I would have given GoblinGroin "Worst thing in the history of games culture" but hey, this is a start.

McNum

Truly one of the most deserving Fail of the Year winners here ever.

I wonder if the vote had been after today, GamerGate would have "won" even bigger? I'll spare you here the details, but it got worse. Yes, really.

Top Bottom