• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF FOTY 2014-Fail Of The Year-Results- Winner of the 2014 shit sandwich goes to...

Noaloha

I still maintain that the GamerGate logo is not only a 'daily dose'/piccolo-dick trigger, but also a goatse-in-disguise.

afmn6nV.jpg

Empty

it's been an embarrassing, ugly, frustrating year that's really made me reconsider how closely and in what ways i interact with the gaming world but certainly gamergate is the worst part of it.

I think that statement is a gross hyperbole. But that's all I'm saying on the subject because I've seen what happens to people who disagree on here.

It's not in the slightest hyperbolic. A lot of my friends and colleagues have been harassed and targeted for simply being women. Women with an opinion. Many of them have decided they are too scared to weather the storm in all this and essentially had their voices silenced out of fear. Some have left, very publicly. Many have just disappeared out of the industry because it's simply not worth it. Why be part of an industry where your gender paints you as an easy target to attack? What does all of this look like to the younger generation of women looking to get into the industry? It looks like a massive shitshow that offers no safe-space or inclusivity. And remember, GG is the culmination of everything terrible we've had to confront in the gaming community over the years. Now the only difference is it has a banner to fly it's gross flag under.

I don't think so, because it really depends on if said people want to be represented by this. Of course one could argue that it should be in their interest, but we're not talking basic human rights here, so different opinions on such things can happen and therfore I think the distinction even has a place if you are talking from a more high level point of view.

Yes, I agree, but this is typical for people who fight an idea all too extremely (and also a huge, unorganized group with necessarily some total dumbasses) and still does not make it right to overstate the goal of their attack.

Which is the nature of the ideal they are fighting for / against, but it is not outright trying to push away all women and it needs to be differentiated, because someone could also do precisely that.

The implication is that men reserve the right to exclude women from gaming if they so choose, and if women want to stay they need to allow the terms of their acceptance to be dictated by others. It follows in the great tradition of misogynist agendas, almost none of which are strictly about hating women, but rather about being able to dictate what roles women can occupy in society and what choices they have about their lives. It's about establishing that to be a woman in the gaming community, "standard" levels of sexual harassment and discrimination should be tolerated as the price of admission, and that speaking up about it or otherwise not knowing their place will be punished by extreme harassment like the kind seen in gamergate proper -- and that is a huge deal.

Drawing a line between what's basically been the run of the mill culture war strain of misogyny (that's opening a new franchise restaurant in gaming) -- and ideologies that are strictly and purely about eliminating women entirely -- seems sort of contrived. It's like saying there needs to be a distinction between institutional racism and slavery because otherwise it might be misleading.

Nanashrew

Banned
I think that statement is a gross hyperbole. But that's all I'm saying on the subject because I've seen what happens to people who disagree on here.

It's in no way hyperbole. There are women afraid to join the industry after these 5 months of hatred coming from GamerGate. Hell, much of the same people involved in GamerGate were also the same people who have harassed my friend years ago for simply being a woman of opinion. Going further back, much of the same people in GamerGate were also responsible for harassing Jennifer Hepler into quitting Bioware from all the death threats she received.

I would have put broken games first. Why?

Because broken games affected nearly all gamers this year. But Gamergate affected a select few people. Hell, I don't know anyone outside of Gaf who even knows what Gamergate is (Even people on this forum are asking).
Yeah... Because rape and death threats to a small group of people is a no big deal compare to we gamerz getting broken games... Seriously?

Paskil

Glad that gate won. It got my vote. This entire shitshow has been an embarrassment and I'm glad this stuff has come to light. It can only hasten change for the better in the industry. At the same time, it's complete shit that people have had to go through the harrassment and crap from a minority of over-privileged gamers. If these people claim that they are the representative of gaming or are gamers, then I don't want to be a gamer.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's like saying there needs to be a distinction between institutional racism and slavery because otherwise it might be misleading.

I'm fine with that, because racism and slavery are totally different things and should be differentiated. I'd even say the difference is bigger than what we're talking here. You can be a racist (for instance think that all back people are humans of lowered worth) and at the same time be against slavery (including slavery of black people). You can be all for slavery, but still not be a racist (you just think you should have to have the right to own people, no matter the race). Totally different (and disgusting) things, but if you were to claim our current German nazi-party NPD was demanding slavery, I'd object - as a lefty myself.

it's been an embarrassing, ugly, frustrating year that's really made me reconsider how closely and in what ways i interact with the gaming world but certainly gamergate is the worst part of it.

This.

GG has made me strongly reconsider whether I want to be associated with this hobby at all.

It's like GG came out and verified the decades-old stereotype that many games enthusiasts are angry, sexually frustrated basement-dwelling males who couldn't interact normally with other humans if their life fucking depended on it.

PooBone

My two most hyped games of 2015 were numbers 3 and 4 on the fail of the year list, and the only games listed specifically.

:-(

Arondight

Number 1 is correct. Can't even argue that one. Number 2 is reasonable. Surprisingly, EA managed to turn it around this year. Great games, not much if at all disaster worthy launches and the free games was nice.

Also surprised that Halo is much higher voted by a large margin than say Driveclub which both supposedly have terrible launch online experiences.

It's a shame that despite great games released, it's probably the worst year overall in gaming in years.

Yeah... Because rape and death threats to a small group of people is a no big deal compare to we gamerz getting broken games... Seriously?

What's the relevance of all the insults and death threats to the gaming industry? Boogie 2988 and TotalBiscuit also received death threats. People should stop focusing on singling out the psycho's from one group to demonize the whole. It's poisoning the debate.

b0bbyJ03

idk what gamergate even is but it must be really bad if it beat out ubisoft and broken games. to be far broken games should have been number one. its basically why ubisoft is on the list; because they had the most broken games.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
idk what gamergate even is but it must be really bad if it beat out ubisoft and broken games. to be far broken games should have been number one. its basically why ubisoft is on the list; because they had the most broken games.

my thoughts, too.

Kinsei

Banned

Broken games haven't threatened to murder, rape, and start a school shooting.

Paskil

What's the relevance of all the insults and death threats to the gaming industry? Boogie 2988 and TotalBiscuit also received death threats. People should stop focusing on singling out the psycho's from one group to demonize the whole. It's poisoning the debate.

#MENTOO #NOTALLNAZIS

Seriously though, com'n now with this...

This.

GG has made me strongly reconsider whether I want to be associated with this hobby at all.

like someone else said, video games have grown in scope and scale to the point where now it's just something people do, like watching tv or reading books. no reason to stop doing something you enjoy. the only people you're associating yourself with are other humans.

What GG is proving is what happens when people try to form identities out of small facets of their personality, to the extent that their feel that their personal identity is threatened by outside forces. "War on gamers." Please.

marrec

Banned
i'd like to know why not, if anyone knows

People have been getting death threats for years online and the criminal justice system isn't properly set up to handle these types of cases.

For example:

If someone from the internet sends you your address and a picture of your car and says they want to kill you, that's most definitely an actionable offense that could land them in jail. The problem is, though, that it can be incredibly hard to track down someone who's sending these threats. They could be in different countries or using various anonymizing systems to hide their identity.

So you go to your police station and say "Hey, this person did this!" and the police simply aren't able to help you. They can escalate it to the FBI but even then it's unlikely that anyone would ever be caught and prosecuted. All the cyber-bullying convictions we've seen in the past have been from people who didn't try to hide their identities and were in the same country as those they bullied.

Now expand that to hundreds of people all trying desperately to stay anonymous while sending horrible threats and harassment and you can see that even the FBI would have a hard to tracking down one of them, much less all of them.

I'm fine with that, because racism and slavery are totally different things and should be differentiated. I'd even say the difference is bigger than what we're talking here. You can be a racist (for instance think that all back people are humans of lowered worth) and at the same time be against slavery (including slavery of black people). You can be all for slavery, but still not be a racist (you just think you should have to have the right to own people, no matter the race). Totally different (and disgusting) things, but if you were to claim our current German nazi-party NPD was demanding slavery, I'd object - as a lefty myself.

I'm just saying that drawing a difference between action and implication is dangerous and it's why groups like birthers or segregationists get traction, even if those movements aren't explicitly about racism. Even if just attacking women who voice opinions against the status quo isn't technically about indiscriminately attacking all women, it's essentially removing any platform for women to voice their concerns which eventually achieves the same thing. Just like how slavery is about keeping people of a certain race within a class, but institutional racism is about eliminating their opportunities at self-improvement. There is a difference, yes, but if they implicitly achieve the same thing it's an important thing to point out.

Because they target women (who speaks anything, really) associated with the game industry? And because they self label "it's about ethic in games journalism" but rarely, if ever, talk about ethic in games journalism? When the general trend of this group is toxic the #notall tag doesn't work anymore.

Lime

Gamergate likes women the same way that US police likes Black and Latino people. As long as you don't say anything that'll rock the boat or challenge their power position, nothing will happen to you. That tells me that there isn't much to differentiate in Gamergate's misogyny.

merwfslzfpkw.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Surprised DriveClub didn't get a specific mention like Halo MCC did. I guess the fact it is working fine now and got the amazing weather update saved it from the top five.

GLAD to see GamerGate won. Nothing this year in the industry is fucking worse than that vile shit. Probably the in the running for the worst in this decade, and it's still early!

Yoshi

I'm just saying that drawing a difference between action and implication is dangerous and it's why groups like birthers or segregationists get traction, even if those movements aren't explicitly about racism. Even if just attacking women who voice opinions against the status quo isn't technically about indiscriminately attacking all women, it's essentially removing any platform for women to voice their concerns which eventually achieves the same thing. Just like how slavery is about keeping people of a certain race within a class, but institutional racism is about eliminating their opportunities at self-improvement. There is a difference, yes, but if they implicitly achieve the same thing it's an important thing to point out.

The bolded point is not necessarily true, slavery need not be based on race and can be totally independent of race, but of course there are "implementations" of slavery such that it is about race.

However, I don't think we're too far off each others; it's completely fine by me to point out that gamergate can lead / does lead to women feeling uncomfortable or silenced in general, maybe one could also discuss that this might be the goal of some participants of the movement, I just don't think it's fine to say it's their goal or what they do is to attack all women. They attack (as far as I know) certain women who have a certain opinion and voice that, the result of such behaviour can be that all women in the industry feel threatened (I don't think that's actually true (yet?), but you can discuss this), but stating as a fact that attacking and trying to keep all women from playing is precisely what gamergate wants to achieve and works toward is wrong as far as I know.

Omikaru

In any other year, Ubisoft would've won this in a landslide after all the shit they pulled.

That just goes to show how fucking terrible Gamergate is.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So let me get this straight: Gamergate is supposed to be a movement in favour of fixing 'corrupt' games journalism, but due to the whole Zoe Quinn thing (where people wrongly believe she slept with people in order to get good press for her game?) it's got a whole influx of people who are basically sexist bastards attacking any feminists or women in the industry for no other reason than they're misogynistic pricks? For example, Sarkeesian from Feminist Frequency, despite making a lot of good points about the state of the industry, came under intense and disgusting sustained attack purely because of sexist douchebags who don't understand equality. I haven't really been following any of this, but is my basic understanding of the scenario correct?
No, but you're close. GG was created because of Zoe Quinn's fake scandal, where some assholes rummaged into her private life to create a controversy out of nothing. It was always a hate movement, the "ethics in games journalism" bullshit was only a facade.

You're right about Anita Sarkeesian. She got a lot of hate despite not having anything to do with games journalism nor involving herself with the hate mob. She just got dragged into it by some ugly, ugly people.

Yoshi

Gamergate likes women the same way that US police likes Black and Latino people. As long as you don't say anything that'll rock the boat or challenge their power position, nothing will happen to you. That tells me that there isn't much to differentiate in Gamergate's misogyny.

If you were to state that the US police actively tries to keep all black people off the US and attacks all black people, I'd also
1. ask for evidence for that precise statement
2. if you could provide such evidence: demand from my government to treat the US as a rogue state and work towards the UN forcing the US to change this immediately.

Yoshi

In any other year, Ubisoft would've won this in a landslide after all the shit they pulled.

That just goes to show how fucking terrible Gamergate is.

Last year, I'd still have voted for XB1 drm over Ubisoft's unfinished / unoptimized (yet still playable) ACU.

Amir0x

Banned
The bolded point is not necessarily true, slavery need not be based on race and can be totally independent of race, but of course there are "implementations" of slavery such that it is about race.

However, I don't think we're too far off each others; it's completely fine by me to point out that gamergate can lead / does lead to women feeling uncomfortable or silenced in general, maybe one could also discuss that this might be the goal of some participants of the movement, I just don't think it's fine to say it's their goal or what they do is to attack all women. They attack (as far as I know) certain women who have a certain opinion and voice that, the result of such behaviour can be that all women in the industry feel threatened (I don't think that's actually true (yet?), but you can discuss this), but stating as a fact that attacking and trying to keep all women from playing is precisely what gamergate wants to achieve and works toward is wrong as far as I know.

Follow the history of GamerGate and immediately you understand.

GamerGate first use started as a salacious attack on ZOE Quinn - who isn't even a journalist - and who the accusations against were false.

Almost all GG arguments are steeped in nonsense about "social justice warriors", because the real motivation is not whatever garbage you heard about "ethics", it's that they despise diversification in the industry wherein people tell them that everything is NOT right and that there is a serious problem with female depictions and female representation in the industry. They are a movement that was immediately co-opted by far right culture warriors who turned it into a cudgel to direct harassment at whatever target - the vast, vast majority of which have been female - they deem necessary. Almost all of their "complaints" about game journalists have been bullshit and have zero to do with ethics, they have no clue what ethics even means, nor are they even remotely close to understanding what "censorship" and "free speech" mean.

The reason GG is effective is because they can at a whim attempt to obscure their true purpose with diversionary tactics meant to confuse people who don't look deep enough into their origins and the sources of their "operations" to get it. Why do you think half the time they have an operation (like the recent OPERATION VOLCANO) that they tell everyone to pretend they're not from GamerGate and never to mention SJWs? Because they understand what it means, and that it'd unveil their true goals more easily.

GamerGate's GOAL is to harass women, or more accurately is to create an environment in which a woman (and other minorities like LGBT) voicing their opinion that there is a problem in the industry - and trying to effect change relating to that opinion - is specifically toxic and frankly scary.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
People have been getting death threats for years online and the criminal justice system isn't properly set up to handle these types of cases.

For example:

If someone from the internet sends you your address and a picture of your car and says they want to kill you, that's most definitely an actionable offense that could land them in jail. The problem is, though, that it can be incredibly hard to track down someone who's sending these threats. They could be in different countries or using various anonymizing systems to hide their identity.

So you go to your police station and say "Hey, this person did this!" and the police simply aren't able to help you. They can escalate it to the FBI but even then it's unlikely that anyone would ever be caught and prosecuted. All the cyber-bullying convictions we've seen in the past have been from people who didn't try to hide their identities and were in the same country as those they bullied.

Now expand that to hundreds of people all trying desperately to stay anonymous while sending horrible threats and harassment and you can see that even the FBI would have a hard to tracking down one of them, much less all of them.

I work in IT security and am very familiar with logical tracing.

I am curious to the current follow-up on the FBI's investigation. Do we have any information on what happened to those that did not mask their identity?

Griss

Let me echo those who've said that it has been one of the worst years in gaming history. When you combine Gamegate with the amount of broken games and shitty anti-consumer practices, (before even getting to all the delayed games etc) then I'm not sure if there has been a worse one.

Man I didn't realize how bad GG got. I read up and had an opinion on the Zoe Quin mess but I thought it would end there. It's really disturbing that legitimate people are rallying behing GG when the catalyst was so wrong.

Internet be stupid.

marrec

Banned
I work in IT security and am very familiar with logical tracing.

I am curious to the current follow-up on the FBI's investigation. Do we have any information on what happened to those that did not mask their identity?
All FOIA requests regarding the FBI investigations have been denied so there is no more information currently.

Any particular reason you're so curious? You seem to be beating around the actual question you want to ask. I'd be happy to answer for you though.

I'm just leery of trivializing or making distinctions between anti-feminism and "hating women", because it's such a common argument to justify misogyny, especially since while misogyny is very widespread it isn't common to find people who make it a mission to hate women in general. I'm against saying that attacking notable women of opinion within the gaming sphere isn't about depriving women of all ownership and leverage within the community, because that just ends up allowing people to be as misogynistic as they want, just as long as they don't explicitly admit it.

Wallach

GamerGate is probably the worst gaming-related thing I've seen in my lifetime that I can remember. Just profoundly ugly all around.

Lime

If you were to state that the US police actively tries to keep all black people off the US and attacks all black people, I'd also
1. ask for evidence for that precise statement
2. if you could provide such evidence: demand from my government to treat the US as a rogue state and work towards the UN forcing the US to change this immediately.

I'm not sure if you're being dense on purpose or if you really are taking the "No Girls Allowed" completely and 100% literally.

Top Bottom