• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2011 - Voting Thread - Voting's Over, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
1. Star Wars: The Old Republic
2. Portal 2
3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4. Battlefield 3
5. MLB 11: The Show (PS3)
6. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

1. Dark Souls
2. Mario Kart 7
3. Radiant Historia
4. Catherine
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
6. Gears of War 3
7. Super Mario 3D Land
8. Pushmo
9. Child of Eden
10. Pokemon Black/White

Nizz

1. Portal 2
2. Dead Space 2
3. Crysis 2
4. Crysis (PSN)

2010- Vanquish

I believe I can list Crysis as it was just released on PSN (and Live) this year. I was about to list the Tomb Raider Trilogy HD Collection but reading the OP I realized that wouldn't fly. That's pretty much it. Been catching up on old titles. I'd love to list Mass Effect 2 as I just got the PS3 version but haven't played enough to form an opinion.

legacyzero

Banned
1. Dead Space 2
2. Minecraft
3. Skyrim
4. Modern Warfare 3
5. Battlefield 3
6. Saints Row 3
7. Gear of War 3
8. Portal 2
9. Deux Ex: Human Revolution
10. Batman Arkham City
x. Duke Nukem Forever
x. Shadows of the Damned

2010. Fallout New Vegas

took me a long fucking time to perfect this list. Still not satisfied.

1. Super Mario 3D Land - A great mix of what makes 2D and 3D Mario games great.

2. The Legend of Zelda The Ocarina of Time 3D - One of the best games of all time made even better.

3. The Witcher 2 - I thought it had a great story and great characters and the world of the Witcher is incredible.

4. Portal 2 - Great puzzles and truly funny story and dialogue.

5. Star Wars The Old Republic - I'm so hooked.

6. Pokemon Black & White - My most played Pokemon of all time.

7. Mario Kart 7
8. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
9. Okamiden
10. Star Fox 64 3D

seady

Damn I barely played any games that came out this year. Most of them are from previous years, or iOS games if they are from this year. Anyway....

1. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) - The level design in the game is just incredibly brilliant. Almost every stage wow me in some way in how creative it is.
2. Portal 2 (Multi)
3. Minecraft (PC)
4. The Legend of Zelda : Skyward Sword (Wii)
5. Dead Space 2 (Multi)
6. Saints Row : The Third (Multi)
7. Tiny Tower (iOS)
8. Tiny Wings (iOS)
9. Shadow of the Damned (Multi)
10. Child Of Eden (Multi)

Games at the edge of the list:
xx. Pokemon Black / White
xx. Ghost Trick : Phantom Detective
xx. Pushmo
xx. Hanging With Friends
xx. Jetpack Joyride
xx. Groove Coaster
xx. Rayman Origins
xx. Bastion

See if I can update this list to be more broad & accurate by the deadline...

Unicorn

1. Frozen Synapse ; Chess too repetitive? Worms too simple? Have nostalgic tinglings for X-Com? Buy Frozen Synapse.
2. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; Bethesda bugs abound, but come next year, this will be perfect, thanks to modders.
3. Pushmo ; Pixel Art mixed with mind-bending.
4. Magicka ; Diablo meets BattleToads.
5. Skyward Sword ; Perhaps Fi ruined the chances of this beating Majora's Mask for being my favorite.
6. Mortal Kombat; Online was broken, but everything else was pretty good.
7. Minecraft ; Lego, almost, odd amounts of freedom.
8. Mario Kart 7 ; The features implemented for multiplayer/matchmaking gives me hope for the future of 3DS.

Wow, I guess I didn't play that many games this year.

Really wanting to play Skyward Sword though.

2010:
Definitely Vanquish. Fucking bliss.

I barely played ten new games this year, but I feel confident in my praise of at least a few of these:

1. Dark Souls; the densely layered and interconnected world went a ways toward keeping the formula fresh in a game that otherwise retained most of its predecessor's virtues. I can think of few other spectacles in gaming like the descent into Blight Town when you can begin to make out enormous ruins underneath everything.
2. Arkham City; maybe the most polished and fun gaming experience I had this year.
3. Portal 2; I'm not going to say it's better than the original, but it is still very funny (and there are so few truly funny games), and I think the co-op adds a lot to the experience.
4. Ghost Trick; pretty big drop here. I liked but didn't love Ghost Trick.
5. Super Mario 3D Land; the stages take too long to ramp up the challenge, and I can't help feeling that the 3D is a solution to a problem that didn't exist before this game. With the camera angle lower (at times) than in other 3D Marios, of course depth perception is going to be a bigger issue. Still, there are plenty of fun levels. I really enjoy the 3D effect on the levels with long drops.
6. Catherine
7. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
8. Deux Ex: Human Revolution
9. Bastion
10. Radiant Historia

Reave

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
2. Resistance 3
3. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
4. Saints Row: The Third
5. NBA 2k12
6. Battlefield 3
7. inFAMOUS 2
8. Catherine
9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
10. Portal 2

2010: Mass Effect 2

WX3

I know everyone is producing lists, and I know Dark Souls is on many of them. It's my choice for the best game I played this year. Mainly for me it was how this game unlike really any other I have played (I game mainly FPS, TPS, WRPG once in a while...) in 2011 just grabbed ahold of hours of my life. It didn't matter how difficult any area was, in my gut I had this burning desire to complete it! Never once did I quit the game because I gave up. I always made sure I stopped playing at a fresh location. That is not a trait of mine. Frustration normally takes over and I play something else. Not so with Dark Souls.

This year I began making a valid effort to broaden my gaming genres so as to not fall into the annual rut of lacking top notch shit to play! I started playing JRPG's which I had not done since the original Final Fantasy and FF2! I tried some LoL, some strategy games, tried my hand at piloting some WW2 era planes, played a season of MLB, NBA, and one game of Madden, as well as train sim. Nothing compares to what Dark Souls was able to do for me and that was to fully become enveloped in a game that isn't within my normal genre set.

Not only is it a great game in it's own right, but it helped open me up to the potential that the world doesn't only include guns blazing, claymores, and bitch grenades... No longer am I merely a Navy Seal or a Marine, but I have also become one hell of a sword weilding dungeon crawler. I love it!

GhaleonQ

Glad to see you came around to this after your initial consternation over the platform choice.

Otherwise the list is basically what I expected from you, more or less. What did you think of Shadows of the Damned, if you played it?

I haven't gotten around to reading others' lists while I'm doing the soundtrack topic, unfortunately, so I can't comment on others'.

I got banned A LOT this year, huh? To be fair, though, it was impossible for Treasure to get my money for that or, if I wanted, Radiant Silvergun. I still don't own an Xbox 360 (played on my friend's), and I don't think "places in Internet people's top 10 lists" pays the bills. Unlike other companies, I was more mad because I want to reward them!

And I'm not in love with Suda (or, for that matter, Kamiya), and I think Guarini's hand in the project is just as visible as Suda's or Mikami's. So, that's only 1 of 3 leads whose work I regularly enjoy. I always think of Grasshopper and Platinum as the flipside of the Japanese "weird coin" with the ex-Lovedelic guys. I appreciate trash culture, punk rock, bawdiness, and gore, but I LIKE traditional art, austere storytelling pace, cuteness, and silly humor.

As far as the game itself, I didn't enjoy the gimmicks or core mechanics very much and I don't think the puzzles or enemy a.i. forced me to be creative. So, for me, it's "just a shooter," which is fine, but not my thing. I did REALLY come to love Vanquish and I enjoy Team Fortress and S.O.COM. just fine, so I know I'm not at fault.

Really try Terror Of The Stratus, though, or watch the full playthrough on YouTube/Nico Nico Doga. Fascinating stuff, and a soundtrack by the Metal Gear backup whose work I enjoy more than the main guy's.

Charles

1. Skyrim
2. Uncharted 3
3. Portal 2
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Little Big Planet 2
8. ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Classics HD
9. Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
10. Killzone 3

2010: Civilization V

Ricker

1- Skyrim.

2- Deus EX HR.

3- Uncharted 3.

4- Bastion.

5- Batman Arkham City.

6- Gears 3.

7- Alice Madness Returns.

8- Dead Island.

9- Witcher 2.

10- Crysis 2.

1. Zelda Skyward Sword
2. Skyrim
3. Deadspace 2
4. Resistance 3
5. Uncharted 3
6. Infamous 2
7. Oddworld Stranger's Wrath HD
8. Batman AC
9. Rayman Origins
10. Trine 2

Jokeropia

I haven't played as many new games as I would've wanted to this year, but the ones I played were all superb.
  1. Zelda: Skyward Sword
  2. Xenoblade Chronicles
  3. Ocarina of Time 3D
  4. Okamiden
  5. Super Mario 3DLand
I have both Skyrim and Mario Kart 7 in my backlog. Possibly Kirby's Return to Dreamland as well.

Rolf NB

1. Resistance 3
2. Dead Space 2
3. House of the Dead: Overkill Extended Cut
4. Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll
5. Infamous: Festival of Blood
6. PixelJunk Shooter 2
7. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
8. Might & Magic: Clash Of Heroes ; (PSN release)
9. LittleBigPlanet 2
10. Dungeon Siege III

2010. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

thefil

I haven't played that many games that came out in 2011, but these are the ones that are contenders, ranked.

1. Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls series means a lot to me, even with its many failings. Skyrim is no different. I could talk for an hour about all the ways Skyrim is worse than Oblivion or Morrowind, but I could just as easily talk for an hour about the ways it is better. And despite a loss of freedom here or some handholding there, Skyrim consumed me for 150 hours the way only an Elder Scrolls game can. No surprise that this is GOTY.

2. Terraria

I can't really remember much of what I loved about Terraria. But playing co-op dungeon delving, coming up with harebrained schemes for skyways, hellevators, and discovering new equipment and biomes was a valuable experience. I'll say that going back to the game with the latest patch doesn't give it as much new verve as I'd hoped, but it is still a defining gaming experience of the year.

3. To the Moon

To The Moon is barely a game. In a lot of ways it's a critique. It doesn't tell a story the way a movie would. However, it doesn't tell a story interactively either. It instead takes what we've come to accept as a game-style narrative and builds an experience that is suited to it instead of shoe-horned. This is difficult to explain, but I felt that the take was as much a valuable commentary on storytelling in games as it was a sweet, touching and sad story on its own.

4. Portal 2

This game is so popular I don't think I need to say much.

5. Sonic Generations

I have always liked Sonic Adventure style 3D Sonic. For a while, I thought that was gone, especially when games like Colors or Unleashed seemed almost entirely 2D (at least in the Sonic sections). Generations brings it back and makes it good, with a fair dose of enjoyable (if not quite as much so) classic Sonic as well.

6. The Binding of Isaac

I did not think I would like this game. Disturbing art styles and difficulty do not typically resonate with me. I was wrong. Easily the most rewarding and novel game to play this year. Every attempt is different, and guiding the player on how to play follows the now-rare method of: figure it out, baby.

7. Bastion

If I had finished this game, it might score higher. On its own, I put it here for these reason: amazing presentation (art, narrative, music incl.); and particularly amazing gameplay. Enabling various idols and pressing through the weapon challenges are where the glory of this game comes through.

8. Dungeon Defenders

Really, this award is solely for the Squire character in the game. I cannot abide by the others; what Dungeon Defenders provides in value comes from playing in co-op as that unique Tower Defender that uses weapons of a melee variety. Very neat.

Tadale

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3. Portal 2
4. Battlefield 3
6. Child of Eden
7. Dead Space 2
8. Super Mario 3D Land
9. Uncharted 3
10. Mortal Kombat

My top two games are really a toss up. I probably will enjoy Skyrim more in the end, but I really have to give the nod to Skyward Sword for finally implementing wonderful motion controls in a real game, as well as the great way that game ties one of my favorite series together.

Child of Eden is a super underrated experience this year. So far, it's the only Kinect game I like, and I really do not enjoy playing it with a controller. Dead Space 2 is one of my favorite third person shooters ever, and has such a nicely realized world and some of the most fun weapons in a shooter I've played.

I'm a sucker for a good competitive shooter, and Battlefield 3 is likely the best one I've played this generation, especially now with the Back to Karkand pack.

Saints Row and Batman just missed my list. It as also a year for incredible disappointments, like Dragon Age 2, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, and to some extent, Infamous 2.

I'm popping in to ask for an extension. I'm still working my way through Skyrim, and I've barely touched Deus Ex and Batman: AC. I just got Uncharted 3, and Resistance isn't coming in the mail until tomorrow!

Chris R

1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; I've only spent 60 hours playing this, so I won't comment yet on if this is better than Morrowind, but man is it a fun game. Sure it would be nice if the game wasn't so limited in certain areas compared to say Morrowind, but that doesn't mean I'm enjoying it any less. I love how diverse the quests are, and how varied the landscape is. I was expecting one big ice zone, but I'm glad to see that isn't the case. I still need to get around to beating the game here at some point, and I can't wait to see what the DLC will bring. The only major negative I can think of at this moment is how terrible the game is on the PS3. I hope the error gets fixed at some point though, because people who can only experience this game on PS3 need to have the chance to have as much fun as I've had with this.

2. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception ; Still need to beat this, but I've very much enjoyed the parts I have played. Don't know if the game will be better than Uncharted 2 but I'm thinking it will be close.

3. Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine ; I loved how this game made you feel like a badass, by being able to destroy hundreds of Orks without skipping a beat. The game was also fast paced and tight for the most part, with only a few sections I wished didn't go on as long as they did. I really wish this game would get a sequel but I guess that isn't happening :(

4. Portal 2 ; I didn't think Valve could make me want to play more Portal after the first, but they did a really good job with this game. The story was exelecent, and the puzzles were for the most part excellent. I also liked the steam integration with the PS3. I still need to finish the Co-op challenges as well, but what I played of those was fun too.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; Only two dungeons into this, but I'm really enjoying it. Gave me a reason to hook up my Wii again, and it controls how I would expect a motion controlled Zelda game to. Still can't really compare it to TP because I only put 10 hours into that, but I hope to have both beat sometime next year to be able to properly rank them among the other Zelda games.

6. Dark Souls ; This game would probably be much higher on my list if I had more hours played on it. Only rented it for a few nights but loved what I played. Can't wait to spend more time with it when I buy it sometime next year.

7. Spacechem ; I love this puzzle game. It is HARD (if you don't cheat!) and will make you think, but it is rewarding when you finally figure out a solution. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I love chemistry!

8. The Binding of Isaac ; Great indie game. Kicked my ass until I did some digging and found out about the secret rooms on each level and got the mechanics down. Wish it wasn't so broken on OSX though.

9. Rock of Ages! ; My XBLA game of the year. Silly and fun, with the difficulty ramping up nicely in the later levels.

10. Minecraft ; Great little game to jump in and out of for short periods. I've only ever really messed around in the creative mode because the survival stuff doesn't appeal to me in the current state, but I might try it some day. Best game I've played at work all year (yay for long lunch breaks!).

x. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D ; Only played a little bit of this but I like it. Now bring out the better N64 Zelda game :p

x. White Knight Chronicles II ; Haven't played more than a few hours, but what I have played I enjoyed. Much tighter experience compared to the first (which I also enjoyed).

2010. Just Cause 2 ; I don't know why I didn't discover this game earlier. I have NeoGAF to thank for pointing me in the right direction though. This game is insane in a good way. Can't wait to see what Just Cause 3 brings about.

Marleyman

Banned
1. Skyrim
2. Battlefield 3
3. Dead Space 2
4. Assassins Creed Revelations
6. Saints Row 3
7. Crysis 2
8. Gears of War 3
9. Bastion
10. MLB The Show

kadotsu

Banned
1. Super Mario 3D Land
2. SpaceChem
3. Infamous 2
4. Zelda: Skywards Sword
5. ilimilo
6. Pushmo
7. Portal 2
8. Tactics Ogre LUCT
9. Alice Madness Returns
10. Yakuza 4

MisterHero

All of my other game purchases in 2011 were backlog items. :/

It doesn't change that Skyward Sword is fucking good though. People who haven't finished are really missing out. :p

There's not much variety to what I've played this year, but I've really enjoyed these past 12 months of video games. Here are my favorites:

10. Mighty Milky Way

9. Mario Kart 7

8. Disgea 4: A Promise Unforgotton

7. Kirby Mass Attack

6. Portal 2

5. Mighty Switch Force!

4. Rayman Origins

3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

2. Catherine

1. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

I'm also looking forward to playing some PSP games next year that Japan got in 2011, like Final Fantasy Type-0, Gungnir, Grand Knights History, and possibly (please!) Half-Minute Hero 2.

Domstercool

It's late (3:23 am, just wrote this) so... yeah ignore the waffle and stuff :)

For me this game is a masterpiece, not just simply the best game of the year, but one of the best ever to be graced upon mankind. I feel that Ocarina of Time has finally been beaten with this latest adventure of Link. From the get go you are introduced to a brilliant art style that merges both the adult look of Twlight Princess and the more cartoon vision in Wind Waker. It’s a style that I hope Nintendo keeps when moving Zelda onto the Wii U as seeing it in standard definition is simply gorgeous, I can only imagine what that would be like in full 1080p.

It’s not just the graphics that are refreshing, god no, what Skyward Sword does is promote the very reason why we should use motion control in games. The combat in Skyward Sword is masterful, so much so that I can’t imagine a Zelda game without it anymore. Being able to attack in eight different angles spices up the combat more than you could imagine, and Nintendo knows this since a lot of encounters are based around this new ability. After finishing this and playing other games that featured melee based combat, they just didn’t capture me in the same way that the motion controls did in this game. To finish it off Skyward Sword has some of the best dungeon designs and puzzles EVER in the series. They are smart and aren’t just the old classic move blocks and light fires. Nintendo did well by celebrating 25 years of this epic franchise, and they did it by making this, one of the best games ever. Congrats Nintendo.

2. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

This is without a doubt, in my opinion, the best western RPG to date. What’s surprising is that if you played the first Witcher game you might not have thought that CD Projekt Red could pull something like that off, it this is their second game in the studio’s life after all.

With some crazy witchcraft they’ve brought us a game with a very interesting and deep story along with choices in dialogue and quests that can’t simply be deciphered as “this is the good way or this is the bad way” unlike some other western RPGs of late. Gone is the strange rock, paper, scissors style combat of the first game and is replaced with a more streamline, faster paced combat that is quite challenging. Mix this up with some of the best graphics seen to date in both technical and art then you can see why the Witcher 2 deserves to be on any Game of the Year list, it’s just that damn good.

3. Uncharted 3

I was super stoked for this title since Uncharted 2 was my favourite game of 2009. That said I still do think Uncharted 2 is the best in the series, probably due to Uncharted 3 being more of same, but 3 is still an amazing piece of gaming itself. Its set pieces still manage to be jaw dropping, making the player feel like they are in some big budget Hollywood action adventure film. What was nice about the third entry is that it also fit in some slower pace sections, like the desert situation, seeing how Drake is obsessed with finding the treasure he’s always being seeking for. Apart from the initial aiming problem, that is now patched, the combat is improved, featuring one of the best grenade throw back mechanics ever. Naughty Dog has done wonders on Drake’s likely last PlayStation 3 adventure.

4. Super Mario 3D Land

It’s the best portable Mario game ever. That’s a bold statement for me to make, but I feel that Super Mario 3D Land captures everything that makes a Mario title great. It feels familiar, with its mixture of open spaced galaxy style platforming, yet manages to incorporate levels that feel as if Super Mario Bros 3 just got redone for the 3D era. I don’t know what magic they use at Nintendo, but after making plenty of Mario titles it seems Nintendo can always throw something in to make the next instalment seem refreshing. It’s also the only game so far on the 3DS system that incorporates 3D into bits of the gameplay, and that means it needs to be noted.

5. Dark Souls

Yes! I love myself some Demon’s Souls, and I was so chuffed about the sequel that bests the first game in every way. Gone are the level stages, instead Dark Souls implements an open world style environment where every location is connected in some way. The difficulty is still there, something that I wouldn’t want to change at all. But along with that are the improvements to the combat system and the online system, which was so unique in the first game. In this one you get to join clans and that clan affects how people will see you online, be it guarding forests for people who aren’t part of the forest guild, or just being a nuisance and sending enemies into other people’s worlds to steal their souls. It’s clever how it handles online, and in 2011 this was one of the true hardcore games. Goodbye to holding my hand.

6. Saints Row: The Third

I was super disappointed with the serious tone of Rockstar’s GTA IV, thankfully Volition wanted to make the third tale of the Third Street Saints a bit of a wacky one. Where to start with this game… well I can say that Saints Row: The Third is absolute BONKERS. Not just a tiny bit, but holy bat shit insane that your mind just keeps asking “What the hell were those guys smoking when they made this?” Driving with a tiger in a car, fighting in cyberspace combatting lag with wrongly equipped avatars (a walking toilet with a gun is a lot funnier than it sounds) and meeting Burt “Fucking” Reynolds puts this game on my list for those facts alone, oh and it’s also one of the best open world experiences I’ve ever played, pure adultery fun.

7. Ghost Trick

It’s not often you can tell people that you played a game where you take on the role as a dead man after he is murdered. Out of all the portable games I managed to get through this year, this title from Shu Takumi (the dude who created the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney series) is a refreshing twist on the adventure puzzle genre. If we had awards for the most imaginative games then Ghost Trick would easily make it to the top with its brilliant thought out manipulation chain reaction solutions. Add to this with solid characters with amusing personalities, fantastic music from the composer of Phoenix Wright, and the game’s slick 2d animations, and you’ve got yourself one of the best handheld games of the year.

8. Shadows of the Damned

It’s Resident Evil 4 with adult humour, personality and great characters. If that doesn’t get you interested then you should stop reading and go hang your head in shame since you all should have experienced the journey of Garcia “Fucking” Hotspur and his ever changing gun Johnson (yes he turns into a big boner!). These two work off each other so well, like a stand up comedian duo, just listen to them reading the story books in the game about the game’s bosses and you’ll understand.

It’s got some big names behind it, like Shinji Mikami, Suda 51 and the brilliant Silent Hill audio composer Akira Yamaoka. What this means for us is that we get the craziness of Suda 51 but matched with some great gameplay and a top soundtrack. It’s a game that’s genuinely funny without being awkward.

Shadows of the Damned is probably the best game that you didn’t play, since no one bloody bought the thing.

9. Bastion

Every year there’s always one surprising game that pops up out of the whole pile of AAA titles on the market. Bastion is Supergiant Games first game and boy what an amazing why to start your company’s portfolio. What’s special about Bastion is how it evolves the way of storytelling in video games. As you play, a Narrator (and also a character in the game) speaks about the actions that are happening on the screen and the progress of the character, making for a unique and damn right cool experience as you play through the adventure. It’s not just a one hit wonder though as Bastion has GORGEOUS hand painted like graphics and a brilliant soundtrack that when all merged with the light RPG style gameplay comes off as sheer brilliance. The best downloadable title of the year.

10. Batman: Arkham City

After playing Batman: Arkham Asylum, who doesn’t want more Batman? It put superhero games on that map. Not once before was it ever imagined that a superhero game could be contender for Game of the Year, yet Rocksteady told us you can. Now two years later we are here with the sequel which takes everything from Asylum and makes it bigger and better, adds more villains and new gameplay mechanics built on top of the amazing ones already in place. The combat is still one of the best in its genre, and it gets you pumping with high adrenaline. Anyone with the pad in hand while playing Arkham City actually turns into Batman as he smashes skulls and pummels dudes to dea…knockout. That’s how much it makes you feel like the greatest detective.

Patryn

1. Star Wars: The Old Republic; I'm a newbie to MMOs, but I'm beginning to understand the appeal of them. I haven't even been that social of a player. More than anything else, I've been treating it as a single-player RPG that other players happen to be wandering around in. But it's been fun as hell. The GAF Republic Guild has been great to me, and my trooper Corlis really feels like a great character who has his own personality.

2. Skyrim; Everything I loved about Oblivion, but just plain more of it.

5. Dark Souls; I understand it now.

4. Dead Island; Yes, it's too long. Yes, it's glitchy as hell. Yes, Infected are annoying beyond belief. But, as with TOR, it's just plain FUN. That first chapter is brilliant, and the melee combat is some of the best I've seen in an FPS.

5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Great game design and an interesting story combined to make a great game.

6. Dead Space 2; I will never not enjoy taking the ripper through a crowd of Necromorphs.

7. Uncharted 3

8. Gears of War 3

JEKKI

I got the new iphone! it's awesome! a game on it made my list too!!!

1. Yakuza 4
2. Dead Space 2
3. Arkham City
4. Ghost Trick
5. Catherine
6. Deus Ex Human Resources
7. Jamestown
8. Portal 2
9. Gemini Rue
10. Tiny Tower

It_Hurts

Banned
1. Dead Space 2
2. Battlefield 3
3. Skyrim
4. Rayman Orgins
5. Catherine
6. Star Wars: The Old Republic
7. Jamestown
8. Yakuza 4
9. Child of Eden
10. Civ World

Zeppelin

I might as well post my list, I won't have time to play through most of this years GOTY contenders before the deadline anyway.

1. Battlefield 3 ; If you've ever set up with a camp with a SOFLAM on Operation Firestorm and lazed a tank and then witnessed as 2-3 Javelins go up from all around the map and blow that tank to kingdom come you'll understand why.
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
3. Bastion
x. L.A. Noire ; For it's superb rendition of 1940s L.A. One of the biggest missed opportunities in video gaming history.

2010. Vanquish

Majukun

1)Deus EX:Human Revolution :My god this game...it managed to let me lay a stealth game,and i hate stealth..that alone is a really enormous achievement.Polished gameplay,freedom of choice,longevity and a bit of challenge..this game delivers in all of them.

2)Portal 2
:it could have been my GOTY if wasn't so damn easy...too easy..bigger rooms but less challenging.Anyway,great production values,great gameplay,great characters,all-in-all a very good game

3)Zelda skyward sword:i liked twilight princess more,but it's stilla really good game with some variety,that in games nowadays is a accomplishment rather than a duty.still havent beaten it though.

4)Terraria:Great addicting gameplay,and i have never explored all th possibilities of this game because it's simply too big..but even played as a survival trial rather than a sandbox,it still delivers.

5)Fifa 12:essentially,the reason why my list is this short (that and retrogaming)...has his big flaws and all,but as a football maniacs i can't have enough of it.

2010)Bayonetta:Simply the best action aver made,Kamiya-san delivers again.

and if it's counted as 2009 (i have bought it 31 dec 2009)

super meat boy:DAT level design.

1. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings ; I'm amazed this game even got made. Amazing experience even with the rushed 3rd act.
2. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; Bethesda finally found a good balance between open world exploration and gameplay. So much better then Oblivion.
3. Cities in Motion ; And I don't usually get impressed by economy sims. Great visuals/music and easy enough gameplay which still has depth to keep you going.
4. Minecraft ; Playing with GAF was some of the best multiplayer I ever had. Too bad I don't have the time anymore. This game consumes time that a parent don't have :/
5. Terraria ; Didn't jump onboard for a while, thought Minecraft was the superior alternative. But Terraria is something completely different. Great progression and more "game" things to do.
6. Orcs Must Die ; Currently the best tower defense style game around. And the smooth gameplay is to die for.
7. Space Pirates and Zombies ; Classic top down space exploration game. YES SIR!
8. Jamestown ; For some reason 2 shoot'em'ups got on my list this year. Jamestown is lovely retro and brings me back to my younger days in the arcade.
9. Really Big Sky ; Pefect chill out game. You know you will die, the game demands it. But getting there is zenlike.
10. Bastion ; Wow, a gfx/sound design wonder. And the gameplay is good enough to not become boring due to the somewhat short campaign.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
1. Saints Row the Third - too much fun from start to finish. A great palette cleanser from all the super serious horseshit out there.
2. Batman: Arkham City - Not quite Arkham Asylum levels of awesome but still pretty great all the same.
3. Daytona USA - the magic is still there.
4. Super Mario 3D Land - best Mario game in a long while.
5. Bastion - effortlessly charming.
6. Star Wars the Old Republic - multiple great single player games for a modest monthly fee. Tres bien!

jyoung188

1. Saints Row the Third
2. Skyrim
3. Dead Space 2
4. Portal 2
5. Shadows of the Damned
6. Bastion
7. Forza 4
8. Gears of War 3
9. Super Mario 3D Land
10. Uncharted 3

1. Pullblox/Pushmo ; Quite simply the most perfect game I've played in recent years.
2. Mario Kart 7 ; Not quite the best Mario Kart but takes it in new directions, which can only be applauded. 60fps, too.
3. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective ; Innivation in the point and click adventure genre. Who'd have thought?
4. Pilotwings Resort ; I waiting 15 years for this sequel and was not disappointed. I'm now waiting for some DLC.
5. Rayman Origins ; A great 2D platformer from somebody other than Nintendo. 60fps, too.
6. Tiny Wings ; showing that mobile gaming can have killer titles, too.
7. Driver: San Francisco ; Revitalising the series aim a clever way. And at 60fps, too.
8. Home Sheep Home 2 ; multi-platform puzzle adventure with superb production values.
9. Wire Hang Redux ; great update of the old web game.
10. Just Dance 3 ; more songs, more dances, more difficult, more fun.

2010. Cut the Rope ; pretty much perfect physics puzzler. On your phone!

Vomiaouaf

Played a lot of games, but mostly from previous years... And only a few of 2011 releases made a lasting impression. Rayman and Uncharted were amazing.

1. Rayman: Origins ; just the most colorful experience of the year. Gorgeous art direction, insane attention to detail, jolly sense of humor, and overall such a joyful mood radiating from it. Puts a huge smile on my face and has my jaw on the floor when I play it.
2. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception ; stunningly high production values, fantastic storytelling and character development, the instantly classic desert scene.
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
4. Jetpack Joyride ; stupidly upbeat, endless fun.
5. Bulletstorm.
6. Portal 2.
7. Killzone 3.
8. Top Spin 4 ; great game ruined by awful online experience (crap servers, dropped games, infinite loading times, zero support).

2010. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood ; just didn't get to play it until this year.

Daante

2011 was the year in witch i quit World of Warcraft. For good.
This made me realize for real that i had a lot more time to put on other things, not just gaming, witch felt really refreshing and good.

The first game i beat was Batman: Arkham Asylum. I was shocked how good this game was, from battle system to voice cast, to the mood setting trough the whole game. This is a masterpeice, and a state of the art example on how to do movie licensed games in a good way.

The second game i beat was Demons Souls. Coming off playing World of Warcraft since vanilla this game is everything i could have ever asked for in a single player rpg. It also truly re-invent what i want from a rpg these days. Demons Souls set new standards for me, and is a game that will forever be in my heart.

The third game i beat was Dark Souls , witch i almost instantly bought after i finished Demons Souls. While not being as good overall as Demons Souls, this game does a few things better here and there. I put over 70 hours in Dark Souls on my first playtrough, and to be honest i didnt "want" to finish the game in the end since i didnt want it all to end..
(i got a smiliar feeling the first time all those years back when i was at the end in FFVII)

Best game that came out in 2011 and i also beat:
DARK SOULS

Hat of too From Software who really dare to go down their own route, and creating 2 UNIQUE fantastic non-mainstream games.

Eurogamer has a great article about this game here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-29-games-of-2011-dark-souls-article

1. Poartal 2 (PS3)
So many things about this game made it good. The characters, the environment, the humor, and the Voice Acting were all sharp and crisp. I got this game on the PS3 and played the Coop with my friend on the PC. The cross platform play has not been seen for the rest of the year. This game is timeless.

2. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (iPad)
Another game with a strong silent female protagonist. This sets the bar for what adventure games should be. I played on the iPad and was blown away by the fantastic art direction and sound design. I never had to go to an FAQ to solve the puzzles and the game uses the iPad in a way that you would only expect from a first party Nintendo title.

3. Gears of War 3 (Xbox 360)
My wife and I waited a long time for this game. We've played the entire series coop and this entry was a thrilling ending to the journey. The scoring made replays fun. The graphics were top notch. The multiplayer is still fun. The beast mode is a welcomed addition, and one day I will make it to level 50 on hoard. I've lent the game out to a friend, but if he were to loose it, then I would defiantly rebuy it.

4. Bulletstorm (PS3)
The demo did not sell me on this game. The price ($10) did. Now I'm glad I have it in my collection. It's funny, violent, over the top, and it finally addresses that players become mass murderers over the course of an FPS. The story isn't too heavy and the guns are fantastic. Skill shots keep it fresh and the environments never grow tired. Extra points for realizing the swearing got out of control.

5. Jetpack Joyride (iPhone)
This iOS game is currently free. Go out and get it. The achievement based, "How far can you run," style game is a perfect mixture of carrot and stick. The coins are almost meaningless by the time I reached my 2nd prestige. The game encourages you to die early, and the 'one more turn' syndrome reaches CiV4 levels.

6. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
The only game I haven't beaten to make the list. I am in the early levels so far, but I have resolved to play this gem in 3D the entire way. The levels are fun, and the controls are as tight as always. It's Nintendo's instruction guide to 3D games and it plays best in short smooth bursts.

7. Bejeweled (iPhone)
This is Bejeweled 3 for the iPhone. I was able to pick this one up for free but it's easily worth up to $5 on the iOS and I might pick it up for $10 on Steam. The inclusion of an xp system, gem mining, and an improved Zen mode have perfected this formula. The upgradeable badges are icing on the cake.

8. League of Evil (iPhone)
Platforming comes to the iOS and it came with an attack button. This game has received multiple level pack updates and they have all been free. The recent inclusion of ghosts takes the best part of a Super Meat Boy level replay and adds it to your current run though. This game hits all the right spots. Spikes, bullets, enemies pacing back and forth. It's all here.

9. Bastion (PC)
I enjoyed this game. It was fun from start to finish. I am really glad that not all the proving grounds were timed. The story was enjoyable and a little over hyped, but I did not regret the ending I chose. I felt no connection to the girl, but that has more to do with her voice not being heard until the end of the game. The weapons were fun and useful, but the lack of any armor upgrades kind of hurt things.

10. Zombie Gunship (iPad)
AC130s are fun. The use of the heat sensor to tell humans and zombies appart is a stroke of brilliance. The reason this game falls so low on the list is because the controls can feel a bit hindered by it's platform (iOS). It takes all the fun that an AC130 brings to a big budget game, and boils it down to it's core.

Wilbur

Banned
1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
3. Mass Effect 2
4. Batman: Arkham City
5. Mario Kart 7
6. Portal 2
7. Pokemon Black/White
8. FIFA 12
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
10 Top Spin 4

Volcynika

1. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky ; First off, it has the best acronym ever. Since that's out of the way, the game itself brought me back to the days of older RPGs. You're just a small part of a larger world, and going to explore all the different towns and areas you see what places have to offer. You handle small incidents that only become a larger event. Obviously won't spoil it, but the ending itself is something that had me on the edge of my seat. It's a game where as soon as I finished it, I could not wait a second to play the sequel. And even if I don't get to see how it all plays out, I'm glad I got a chance to sample this series.

2. Saints Row: The Third ; I'm usually not a fan of GTA-style open world games. I find them boring, annoying, and my friends just find stupid stuff to do outside of missions and it's just not appealing to me. This game takes all of the stupid crazy stuff you can do, and makes it part of the game. It turns the insanity up to 11 and keeps it there for and you're just along for the ride. Where else can you both hit someone with a huge phallus shaped object but also go enjoy an old school text-adventure game? I've played this game once by myself and finished it, but I'm also going to co-op through it two more times just because it's that good. Strap it on.

3. Portal 2 ; Valve has never disappointed me so far and this is no different. With the fantastic writing of GladOS and Wheatley, mixed with the new crazy portal mechanics, this game was a another fun romp to be thinking with portals. The co-op almost seemed a bit throwaway when I first heard about it, but it proved to be both a challenging (and hilarious to annoy friends when completing puzzles) and fun ride. It even offers the ability to play co-op with my PS3 friends if I choose to, which is a good step to what should be happening. I'll keep wondering if they'll ever make a game with a 3 at the end, though!

4. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; While I haven't put in as much time into this game as I have other ones, it's done nothing but impress me overall. The world itself is interesting, the swordplay works well (though getting to understand the nuances of it took some time) and I can't wait to see the remaining dungeons plus the monsters that inhabit them. I just hope I get time to focus on this and follow through with beating it as soon as possible.

5. Catherine ; Atlus' first HD entry of the generation (yes, they've made nothing prior to this for the PS3/360) turned out quite well. The cutscenes are interesting to see, the block climbing puzzles can amp up the challenge, and the classical music is a nice part of the soundtrack. Very good to see a game with a bit more of a refreshing story that tackles some subject matter not seen much in games. While the question/answer portions are a bit one-sided and I wish the multiplayer was online, the game itself was worth both playing through the English and Japanese version.

6. Radiant Historia ; I'll admit I first said I would never buy this game because of the incredibly awful footstep sounds that were in some of the first gameplay videos of the Japanese version. I'm fortunate I didn't follow through with that promise. What's here is quite an interesting time-traveling RPG with a great protagonist (Stocke is awesome). It's interesting to see some of the dark paths the game can take with the bad endings, but obviously those are just obstacles in the way of the true ending. The battle system is all about tactics, and the music has some incredible tracks. Worth a shot if you're looking for a nice RPG to run through.

7. Super Mario 3D Land ; Nice to have a Mario game to play through this year. it brings the simplicity of Mario's platforming and adds in an objective for completionists to get all the special dragon coins scattered throughout each level. Great to come back to something familiar, and some of the last world's sequences were incredible.

8. The Binding of Isaac ; I still enjoy the smaller indie games. Five dollars, mix between classic Zelda and a roguelike, with a story that probably offended some people? Turned out to be a game that I just kept finishing over and over, just because it was so fun. Sometimes you get a bad roll of the dice and you have next to no hope, but that does nothing but make me want to finish the game just one more time.

9. Alice: Madness Returns ; Oh, time again to return to Wonderland. While it's been many years since American McGee's Alice, I was always waiting on this game when it was first announced. It has a great atmosphere, enjoyable platforming, and the weapons themselves are simple and easy to use. While it drags a bit here and there (mostly in the middle), the worlds you explore and the characters you meet are something else. Like Catherine, this game also approaches subject matter that isn't seen much, which gives it another stand-out point. While flawed in some areas, it was an enjoyable romp through another screwed up Wonderland.

10. Pushmo ; PUSHMOOOOOO. It's a simple game idea. Pull and push blocks to make your way to the top. Throw in switches, manholes, and other game mechanics, and you'll get what is a deep puzzler full of challenge. I only got this game on a whim and I have to stop myself from playing it. Though I hope the old man one day hits that annoying little kid with his cane, he deserves it!

1. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword: The only game that made me play all night in order to finish it. Love it. Maybe one of the few games I'll play again and again as OoT did it
  2. Bastion: The narrator and the art style it's something else, and the OST omg!
  3. Batman AC: Fun as hell and a good background story for a Batman game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom