• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2011 - Voting Thread - Voting's Over, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleazyC

1. Dark Souls
2. Dead Space 2
3. Xenoblade Chronicles
4. Portal 2
5. Witcher 2
6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
7. Uncharted 3
8. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
9. Battlefield 3
10. Bastion

Realizing I didn't play that many 2011 games this year... My holidays were on a road trip for two weeks instead of any gaming. (I limited myself to games I've played enough of I feel to add to this list) Was such a close toss-up between SR3 and Deus Ex Ended up just barely giving it to SR3 after deciding not to factor in the ridiculous price I payed for DEHR:

1. Saint's Row The Third; Back half of this game is the best thing I have ever played.
2. Deus Ex: HR; Never played the original Deus Ex. Bought it for 50 cents on OnLive and just sank into the world. Best surprise of the year. Great atmosphere and setting that isn't really seen anymore, along with occasionally thought-provoking issues. Wish they could have eschewed some of the clunkier aspects of the world they inherited by being a prequel to the original.
could have really done with out the Illuminati stuff lol.
I hate stealth games as a rule but this game felt meant for stealth in a way that very fun and dynamic, while still having a strong sense of being a puzzle. WIth the framework they built and can build upon, I am so excited for a Ubi Montreal followup.
3. Portal 2; The puzzling could have stood to be a bit better, but the writing was a home-run.
4. Skyrim; Would have been higher if I had not played New Vegas so recently. Still, great atmosphere and world it creates. Have the most fun just exploring and walking around.
5. Orcs Must Die; Really fun take on the genre.
6. Blocks that Matter; Really liked this low-key puzzler.

x. LA Noire; Oof, weird relationship with this game. Really enjoyed it while I started to play it, but that waned pretty quickly, and basically instantly forgettable when I finished it. Had bought the rockstar pass but sold off the game before even getting around to it. No I actively dislike it looking back. Biggest disappointment of the year by far.

2010: Fallout New Vegas

natasi

Neo Member
1. Skyward Sword; My favorite Zelda game since OoT, although Twilight Princess was pretty close.
2. Skyrim; This potentially could have been my number one choice this year, but unfortunately I haven't progressed as far in the game as I would have liked, so it got bumped to number two.
3. Portal 2; Perhaps the most well-done game I played this year. Flawless, really. If my list was based on merit alone, this would be number one. But my nostalgia for the first two games makes them more attractive in my mind.
4. JetPack Joy Ride; Played the shit out of this on my iPhone. Extremely entertaining and well-done.
5. Atom Zombie Smasher; Absolutely loved this game. Sadly, it got way too hard, way too fast (that's what she said).
6. Async Corp.; Another great iOS game. Extremely addictive.

x. LA Noire; I was extremely excited for this game, which perhaps amplified the frequent disappointments. The game peaked at the homicide desk, and fell apart afterwards.

2010. Enslaved; Picked this up on clearance and ended up really enjoying it. I was sad by how poorly it performed. The gameplay is smooth, fun, and did an excellent job of narrating the story through action.

1. Dark Souls
2. Skyrim
3. Uncharted 3
4. Infamous 2
5. Crysis 2
6. Portal 2

2010: Darksiders

Unfortunately, I didn't get around to playing Deus Ex Human Revolution even though I really wanted to.

krYlon

1. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword;
The artstyle is rich and vibrant and I adore how the graphics transform into an impressionistic effect in the distance. The motion controls aren’t the finished article as yet, but I still found the combat to be the most satisfying in the series because of it.
The level design has turned out to be divisive, but I like the way the world morphs and expands as you revisit, it’s clever and creative. The dungeons are excellent and the puzzles original. The timeshift mechanic the star of the show.
I also liked the themes of responsibility and aiding others that ran through the game. It was obvious that Nintendo wanted this to have a very strong family appeal.

Ancient-Cistern-Location-Skyward-Sword.jpg

2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky;
The battle system in TitS is pretty strategic and utilises a grid system that makes it very enjoyable. There’s quite a lot of depth with the orbment system as well, even though the game is easy enough that it doesn’t really force you to explore it fully.
The real draw of course is the story and characters. It starts off slowly concentrating on character development rather than cheap plot devices and the game is more interesting for it. When the plot does start moving you care enough about the characters for the events to have meaning and weight.
There’s also a lot of foreshadowing, which makes a second playthrough more enticing.
XSEED’s localisation is excellent. We can only hope they bring the second game to us.

the-legend-of-heroes-trials-in-the-sky1.jpg

3. Ilomilo;
Kula World is one of my all time favourite games. Ilomilo takes the concept from that game and builds upon it in many ways. Most notable is the fact that you control two characters separately, switching between the two as they work together to find each other. It’s a lot less confusing navigating the abstract world than other games of this ilk.
The puzzles, aesthetics, controls, music, level design, everything, is of the highest quality.
It makes me wonder why so few people have named it on their lists.

ilomilo3.jpg

4. Ys I&II Chronicles;
The first time I’ve played these classics in any form. I was not disappointed. Yes, they have some old school design choices that can make them frustrating in comparison to more modern counterparts. However, considering they were originally made in the 80s they have aged remarkably well.
The games have a certain magic and dream-like atmosphere, conveyed through their music, art and even the minimalistic storytelling.
Gameplay is fast and fun, literally cutting to the chase and foregoing the unnecessary chaff of many other titles in the genre.

ys_chronicles_splash.jpg

5. SpaceChem;
What makes this so special is that you are a creator as much as a solver. The puzzles can be solved in numerous ways and it feels almost like you are inventing a solution as much as finding one.
Others have compared the game to programming. When I play I feel like I am building a road system, trying to direct the traffic in the right ways, picking up passengers, dropping them off.
It’s nowhere near as dry and stuffy as it seems at first. It’s a shame that the tutorial is not so helpful for beginners.

tumblr_libwqaMsQz1qhrf4fo1_500.jpg

6. Corpse Party;
Possibly the most disturbing game I have ever played. It’s the gaming equivalent of Japanese horror films such as Ringu and Dark Water. Though maybe not quite to that standard, the 16 bit graphics still do a surprisingly excellent job at building up a very creepy, dark atmosphere.
The story is well written and the characters have a fair amount of depth. Flawed, but likeable.
I even liked the gameplay. It plays more like an adventure game than a visual novel. It can be quite hard in places and easy to get stuck, but that suits the theme of the game: being trapped in a nightmare world with no escape.
I really wish you could skip the death scenes though.

cp05_thumb.jpg

7. Stacking;
Double Fine‘s most innovative and imaginative game. It has the best idea of any game last year. Stacking matryoshka dolls to solve puzzles and interact with other characters. A genius design choice to evolve the point n’ click genre.
The art design is stunning and distinctive. Despite the stacking mechanic, I really felt like I was transported into an early 20th century film. It’s a fantastic marriage of styles and concepts.
The main game is too short and easy, but the mileage is in finding all the alternative solutions, causing hi-jinks and collecting dolls.

Stacking-Review-Header.jpg

8. Where is my Heart?;
A rarity, a PSP mini exclusive that is not just good but great. The pixel art graphics are charming, the sound design beautiful and ambient. The puzzles are mind-bending.
More than anything this is a world to get lost in, just as the characters are lost in the woods. The screen is split up into many sections and jumbled around, so if you walk out of one you could enter another on the other side of the screen. Each tile feels like a space distinct from others but at the same time connected.
It’s a shame it’s so short.

where_is_my_heart.jpg

9. Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together;
In many ways this is my most disappointing game of the year. I think I hyped up the game to be the perfect SRPG before I even played it.
Unfortunately it is far from perfect. The main story missions are repetitive and require the same general strategy. And the classes starting at level 1 make experimentation a chore.
However, that doesn’t stop this from being an amazing game in other ways. The story, characters, art, music, the sheer depth of options when it comes to customisation and building up a team. The branching story, the fact that you can go back to explore other branches later.
Not many other games can touch it when it comes to ambition.

Tactics-Ogre-Let-Us-Cling-Together_624.jpg

10. Rayman Origins;
Stunning throw back to 2D gaming. Amazing art and music.
The first platformer where I have adored the water levels. The shooting levels are pretty great too.
The actual platforming isn’t quite as enjoyable, in my opinion, but there are so many great ideas, so much variety and content that it has to be on my list.

rayman-origins-007.jpg

2010. Digital: A Love Story;
It was a close run thing between this and VVVVVV, but this won out because it’s one of the few games where the narrative and quality of writing kept me on the edge of my seat.
It sucked me into its mysterious retro world, nostalgic and strangely atmospheric.

digitallovestory.png

1. Rayman Origins ; I never thought we’d see this game after years of Rabbid bullshit, but it happened and it’s amazing. A great successor to the original Rayman that is a bit more forgiving, but still has plenty of challenge and depth. On top of that the visuals are amazing and the score is unique and memorable. A great return.

2. Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds ; Ultimate MvC3 is probably better objectively but this is the version I spent most of my time on. A great pick up and play flashy fighter for all levels. As a lover of comics and fighting games, it doesn’t get much more fun.

3. Uncharted 3 ; Not much to say that hasn’t been said. I really enjoy just traversing the environments and seeing what’s next.

4. Starfox 64 3D ; I questioned putting a remake this high, but I adore this game so much I couldn’t resist. An amazing space shooter that I could play over and over.

5. Need for Speed: The Run ; I see this as a spiritual successor to Cruis’n USA. I love point to point racing through varied environments and this game delivers. I think the game was a bit unfairly misjudged as it has a lot of fun tracks, and a lot of interesting race types and challenges.

6. Gears of War 3 ; A great conclusion to the trilogy and I got a lot more out of the multiplayer than I had in the past two games. The encounters and gunplay in the campaign were refined and better than ever I thought.

7. Shadows of the Damned ; I liked this way more than I thought I would. The humor surprisingly works I think and it’s a really unique adventure with a lot of cool encounters.

8. Super Mario 3D Land ; Love the 3D in this game, it works so well. There’s enough new here to make it interesting, but there is also a good hit of nostalgia.

9. Homefront ; I know this game is detested in many circles, but I loved the multiplayer and the campaign on higher difficulties I thought was pretty fun. The multiplayer does a good job of balancing vehicles with on foot gameplay and many of the maps are large and really allow for some cool tactics.

10. Two Worlds II ; A janky, yet endearing adventure. I really had fun exploring the world and just roaming around.

1. Super Mario 3D Land ; Pure perfection. Everything about this game was pure platforming bliss. It felt and performed exactly like I wanted and expected it to. With the small exception of stars not being sparkly if you ever died more than a certain amount of times in a level. It really didn't bother me but I could see how it could kill some experimentation for some perfectionists out there. I still had a blast with it though.

2. Portal 2 ; The first portal was the first thing I touched out of the orange box. I woke up at 4 am and beat it by 7 so I could still make it to class that morning. Coming into this year, I said there was no way that 2 could ever beat the first one. No one saw the first portal coming, that was half it's charm. This one has all this hype around it. Can it have a really good story and still be interesting and charming like the first? Can it still have good puzzles around the same old mechanic? It ended up beating the first one in almost every regard. I still hold the first one a tad higher but the fact that they even came close speaks volumes about how amazing this game is. Not to even mention co-op.

3. Saints Row The Third ; I am not a fan of Grand Theft Auto. I liked Vice City but that was more because of the general atmosphere and excellent music choices. I would always want to play them and then I would just mess around for 30 minutes attempting to blow stuff up and cause general chaos, but the game never wanted me to have the real fun weapons until I got through AGES of boring unfun story stuff that really wasn't that good in my opinion. I said I would love it if GTA went way more goofy and crazy and embraced the silly stuff they would always throw in, like the ads and what not. Then IV came out and seemed to take it's self much to seriously and turned into the exact opposite of what I was looking for. Saints Row The Third is everything I want in a sandbox open world game. Everything. All I want to do is run around and blow stuff up. It lets me do that. And the story doesn't suck if I want to mess around with that too. And it is really hilarious.

4. Catherine ; This game came out of nowhere for me. I picked it up on a whim and I was so glad I did. A lot of the writing was really great and some of the bar scenes really reminded me of some of my college days. It made me think about a lot of stuff which is something games should really do more often. Real stuff. Not oh should you shoot this guy and be EVIL. The actual game component started to get a little boring right at the end, but for the most part this game was so great. Also funny. Again.

5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; Five seems low for this. I had tons of fun with Oblivion. I also had a lot of fun with Skyrim. Problem is I'm already having memory lapses with which one I've done what with. They're too similar for me. Skyrim looks better sure, but I really think they didn't mix it up enough. It's pretty much Oblivion 2 for me. But that still isn't that bad because Oblivion was great! For 6 though... I want some real different stuff.

6. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception ; I loved Uncharted 2. It's up there with some of my favorite games of all time right now. I don't know what happened with 3. I still loved it a lot, but I should have loved it more. The desert has always been a more interesting location to me than snowy mountains. It had a seemingly interesting female villain. All they had to do was throw some combat and jumping puzzle stuff in and bam, better than 2 right? I don't know what happened. I thought the end of the story sucked near the end. I seemed to be dying way more and having very frustrating deaths in a lot of the combat areas (especially
the desert town right before the drifter guys pick you up on horses
). Shit just didn't feel right. Still had fun and thought it was great (that is why it is on here...) but it seems like such a wasted opportunity.

7. Dead Island ; Came out of NOWHERE. Bought it on a whim with a friend and we co-oped that crap out of it. Buggy as all hell? Yes. Fun as all hell? Absolutely. Story sucked? Completely. Didn't matter. I had a blast and a half with my electric machete chopping arms of zombies.

8. The Binding of Isaac ; This one is on here for the novelty. I just really liked the whole idea and execution of it. I think the theme was really good and played well (it could have easily been turned into some shitty anti-religion rant). I've sunk a lot of hours into it for some reason and I still want more. Some of it can be mildly frustrating though knowing that you got a shit hand, but that adds to the random fun!

9. You Don't Know Jack ; We used to get drunk and play some crappy Jeopardy game on psn in college after we got back from bars. You Don't Know Jack was exactly what we wanted. Genuinely funny and witty writing with trivia thrown in? Yes please. The trivia can be a little easy some times (seeing as we are trivia masters ;) ) but it allows everyone to play then. Really easy to turn into a drinking game too.

10. Dungeons of Dredmor ; I haven't played a lot of rougue likes before this, but this makes me want to. Yes I know it's like babby's first rougue like but I still had a blast with it. I haven't beaten it yet (I keep doing random and just dying all the time around the 2nd or 3rd floor) but one day I will... And it has lutefisk jokes.

x. Deus Ex: Human Revolution ; Loved the game. I just can't put it in the top ten in good conscience with possibly the worst design components ever. The bosses. Yes I know they were outsourced. Yes I know you can just get the kill everything balls fly out as you crouch down weapon. Point is I shouldn't have to do it. The bosses can be in the game. But I should have an way to not fight them at all. The first game had this ELEVEN YEARS AGO. At worst, it should have been delayed. If I had my way they would have patched it and had some room off to the side right before every boss fight where you can hack into a super crazy hard computer that just kills the boss instantly. Or you can get into some conversation tree to get out of it. I don't care. I shouldn't be forced to take an offensive path in a game that makes you choose in every other place to not if you so want to. Shitty, shitty design.

x. Tiny Tower ; Played this on my phone tons. Thought it deserved a mention. Great time waster.

x. Batman: Arkham City ; Got halfway through it and haven't finished it. Just didn't grab me. I don't think the city part was well thought out. It's just... there. It makes it just longer and harder and more boring to get through. It's a shame considering the first one was genius. This one surprises me that it was made by the same people even.

will write a more in depth why i choose my top ten but i gotta go for now and won't be back until 1 am tonight, so i don't want to be missed in voting

1-Mario Kart 7

2-Zelda Skyward Sword

3-Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

4-Dead Space 2

5-Super Mario 3D land

6-Uncharted 3

7-Mortal Kombat

8-Batman Arkham City

9-Saints Row The Third

10-Gears of War 3

Korigama

Didn't get to play as many 2011 releases as I would've liked, so this'll be a shorter list this time.

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Featuring brilliant art direction with a soundtrack to match, along with excellent stealth gameplay that I'd dare say manages to "out-MGS" MGS itself, DX:HR is a welcome offering in the underutilized cyberpunk genre. Adam Jensen is one of my favorite protagonists this generation, in respect to both design and characterization. Though I had no problem with the game's boss battles, I was disappointed with how Eidos Montreal handled the game's endings. However, this does not diminish my opinion of the rest of the experience. As the overall best game released in 2011 that I played, along with being the game that finally got me into WRPGs, its place as my Game of the Year is well-deserved.

2. The King of Fighters XIII; My vote for not only best fighting game of 2011, but easily the best fighting game of this generation, 2D or otherwise. Having excellent presentation, along with a well-rounded roster (with plenty of returning favorites) catering to a variety of playstyles, KoF XIII epitomizes a fighter that emphasizes player skill over unbalanced "comeback" mechanics. Though online play leaves something to be desired as of its current pre-patch state, SNK has otherwise managed to deliver the game that's everything that KoF XII should have been.

3. BloodRayne: Betrayal; Admittedly, I was not a fan of the original BloodRayne series. However, WayForward's reinvention of the franchise was one of the biggest surprises of the year for me. From the slick 2D artstyle to the old school Castlevania-inspired gameplay, it's been some of the most fun I've had with a DD-exclusive title. My only real gripe was the controls, which, while serviceable, could have stood to be a bit less loose. That said, this was far from a deal-breaker, and I look forward to seeing what the developer does next.

4. Catherine; Quite an unorthodox title, Atlus' horror-themed puzzle game has definitely been one of my most memorable experiences. The adult-oriented story was refreshing, delivered in a manner that was often funny and always compelling. The great visuals further enhanced the experience, as did the wonderful soundtrack (featuring plenty of cleverly-used classical works, as well as cool new original tracks from Shin Megami Tensei composer Shoji Meguro). My main problem was the uneven difficulty in the puzzles themselves, in addition to the clumsily-implemented morality system and the lack of more gameplay outside of the nightmare/puzzle sequences. Still, I can't say I've played anything quite like it, and was glad for the opportunity.

5. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception; An intriguing look at Nathan Drake's past, including his history with Sully, Uncharted 3 provided the familiar Hollywood blockbuster-style thrill ride the series has come to be known for. As usual, Naughty Dog have demonstrated a superior command of the PS3's technical abilities, delivering one of the most impressive-looking games on the system. Yet, though it had its share of noteworthy setpieces, the game itself felt like a step back from Uncharted 2, not only in that respect, but in regards to the driving narrative as well (dialogue is as sharp as ever, but the story seemed less cohesive, and Drake traveled by himself too often). Throwing back grenades was a welcome addition, but the aggressive nature of the A.I. and the sheer number of enemy encounters brought things down further. It was still a good game, but I can't help but feel it would have benefited from having more development time (the admission by Naughty Dog of regretting the announcement of 11/1/11 as the game's release date ahead of the game's completion only compounding the feeling that it was rushed).

x. Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds; I enjoyed my time with this, but the knee-jerk balance patching, shoddy online lacking both spectating and replays, and (most of all) Capcom releasing Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 in the same year kept it out of my ranking. I have yet to get around to picking up UMvC3.

01DragonFly

1. Zelda SS
2.Skyrim
3.Super Mario 3d Land
4.Dark Souls
5.Battlefield 3
6.Mario kart 7
7.The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
8.Saints Row: The Third
9.Xenoblade Chronicles
10.Dance Central 2

1. Portal 2 ; From the start to the end I enjoyed nearly everything about Portal 2. It's short enough not to wear out its welcome but so satisfying to make the purchase fulfilling. Wheatley is charming, Cave Johnson is zany in a way I can support, and GLaDOS was a potato. Even when I couldn't immediately figure a puzzle out, I never had to resort to a youtube video to continue and didn't want to. Mechanics made sense and teaching progression through gameplay is a strong suit of Portal.

2. Saints Row 3 ; The most silly fun I've had in years. It starts with a bang, strolls with a auto-tune whimper, and comes back with a giant slap of crazy to wake you the f up. By the end, with all pretense out the window, the game does its version of the Ultimate Warrior. It runs down the ramp, shakes the ropes, and explodes with stupidity. It's great.

3. Uncharted 3 ; I liked UC1, I adored UC2, and I like-liked UC3. If 2 is the height of my fondness for a blockbuster shooter, then 3 is the safety net. It stays the mold, gives you a peek of something more but, in the end, stays the line for what it knows I enjoyed before. It didn't blow away my expectations but it met them, which in fact, is pretty good to me. The characters I know and love doing what they do, again.

4. Bastion

5. Batman: Arkham City

6. Catherine ; Out of any game I played in 2011 Catherine has stuck with me the most. The puzzles were more of a nuisance despite the satisfaction of putting learned procedures to use. The story, though, struck a chord at its most grounded evaluation of relationships and haphazard whims of being a young guy bouncing between perceived excitement and self-fulfilling status quo. For a seemingly insane anime take on relationships with the sheep, demons, demon babies, etc. it's emotional tale was pretty universal.

7. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ; I love the Elder Scrolls series through the bugs, glitches, and vast of nothingness. When I compare Skyrim to the rest of the series I've played, it's better in every way. While people argue the combat is better in Dark Souls or other RPGs, it's vastly improved over Oblivion, and obviously, Morrowind. For me, Elder Scrolls is its own genre and I only feel compelled to compare them with one another, for better or worse. I haven't put the hours in to move this title up but the series is slow-burn for me and if and when I do, it would surely go higher. For now, it is where it is. I've loved when I played but sometimes don't want to pick it up because I know of the time-sink. That's good and bad.

8. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

9. Frozen Synapse ; My enjoyment of FS tapered off the more I played, but when it clicked, it made me feel great. 1-on-1 patience and strategy, it would be pure if the mechanics and balance held up as well as you wish. Unbalanced chess with guns. Saying that, it's great with like-minded people and I would still recommend it to anybody wanting a change of pace with more thoughtful than reflex simulated killing.

x. Rage ; I enjoyed the decapitating boomerang.
2010. Enslaved

I didn't play too many 2011 titles, or ingeneral really, much this year. Nothing blew me away, but I really enjoyed everything I did pick up. Something like Skyrim would probably be much higher if I just played it more. So I took that into account. I think Catherine probably stuck with me the most but the actual puzzles were my least favorite part. I have Rayman, Dark Souls, and Dead Space 2 sitting next to me, I'm a jerk who should play them.

I'm adding comments now. Hope that doesn't mess anything up.

1. Zelda SS
2. Porta 2
3. Batman Arkham City
4. Uncharted 3
5. Super Mario 3DL
6. Mario Kart 7
7. SW: ToR
8. Dark Souls
9. Battlefield 3
10. Skyrim

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
1. Super Mario Land 3D
2. Batman: Arkham City
3. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
4. Portal 2
5. Mario Kart 7
6. Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
7. Uncharted 3
8. Pushmo
9. Pilot Wings Resort
10. Catherine

Hopefully this is in on time. I waited for the last second because my backlog is huge lol. I still feel like it is incomplete because there are a LOT of games released this year that I wanted to play, but just didn't get around to it or have the funds to pick them up. :/

I'll try and edit in why I choose what I did tomorrow morning. :)

Wowbagger

1. Dark Souls
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Dead Space 2
4. LittleBigPlanet 2
5. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes HD

2010. Costume Quest

stupei

As a note: I didn't get to play enough of The Witcher 2 to make a fair assessment of it. If I had, it would have almost certainly made this list. Also only got a very limited amount of time with Zelda and Trails in the Sky, so there's that too.

1. Dead Space 2; I disagree with those who say that the first game's setting was more frightening. Sure, a dank dark tanker floating in space is a more obvious choice for horror, but the series' superb use of lighting and sound remains in the sequel and, in my opinion, are put to even greater use. TVs flicker and cast long shadows and the occasional broadcast echoes in the speakers. There's a profound sadness to the environments in Dead Space 2 that I found genuinely intriguing. Combine that with the excellent shooting mechanics, and this was absolutely one of my favorite experiences of the year. Even the ending chapters, which apparently infuriated a lot of people, weren't enough to put me off from the game.

2. Dark Souls; As anybody who has a crazy work schedule knows, sometimes it's just hard to find the time to play games during the week. And then there are some games where you find yourself browsing stat charts during the work day to try to plan out exactly what materials you'll be farming for this evening in order to best upgrade your build. Dark Souls is one of those games for me, but of course it's also so much more. I could talk about the exploration or the pitch perfect melee system that puts all other fantasy RPGs to shame. There's so much that can be said about the online systems and the first time you defeat a boss with the help of jolly cooperation. Or I could try to talk about how no other game this year has given me quite the same roller coaster of emotions.

I realize that sounds like a cliche, but at one point I found myself battling my way through Blighttown, far from my last bonfire and surrounded by Cragspiders. There were four of them. I was frustrated, out of estus flasks, poisoned, and felt like giving up. It's that moment that I'm sure many people who have played either of the Souls games can relate to when you wonder why you're even PLAYING this stupid game. And then I spun the camera around and saw the next bonfire hidden inside a pipe just behind me. I hadn't looked up its location on a wiki; I had no idea it was there and could have easily ended up dying just a few feet away, possibly even giving up the game for good. But I didn't. Instead I managed to run through those remaining few feet of swamp with my health ticking ever lower and spiders breathing fire at my back. I lit the fire and breathed an actual sigh of relief. Moments like that are what gaming is really all about, and Dark Souls is filled with them.

3. Portal 2; I'm very bad at finishing video games. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that life tends to get in the way, and release schedules certainly don't help. You sit down to play something when you can, however seldom that is, and the next thing you know that other big title you were waiting for is here and you've forgotten all about the other thing. Portal 2 was never going to be "that other thing." I played it in two sittings, which is very unusual for me, and then once PSN was back I started it over again on my Mac. Sure, in some ways the puzzles are easier because we know what to expect, but the writing is improved (magically, somehow) and I think that's well worth it.

4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim; I hated Oblivion. I actually literally hated it. I played about two hours in and gave up out of boredom and frustration. I say this to make the point that Bethesda had a lot to prove to me when it came to Skyrim. I was going in incredibly skeptical of the experience, but I'm the kind of person who's always going to want to give a new RPG a try, no matter its history. Still I wasn't expecting to sink weeks of my life into this game only to come up for air and realize I'm still not done. I want more. Where's my DLC, Bethesda?

5. Gears of War 3; I only enjoyed the first two games in this series because I played them in co-op with my cousin during the holidays. I never got into the multiplayer, and I never really found the campaign all that engaging. The shooting was wonderful of course, but the rest of the experience was very take it or leave it outside of getting to play with a friend.

Gears 3 changed all of that for me. I took part in the multiplayer demo and I absolutely loved it. Sure I still can't wall bounce as good as plenty of people and I prefer using riffles over up-close fights with shotguns (or gnashers, for those who aren't trying to be annoying) but the tweaks to combat in Gears 3 actually make that a viable option at least half the time. I don't mind not having the highest kill count in a match so long as I can rack up a ton of assists and still get my team the win; and maybe that lack of ego is why I never fully understand when people say it isn't possible to get into Gears multiplayer at this point in the game. As someone who doesn't tend to get hooked on competitive multiplayer very often, this game was a revelation. Oh and the campaign is actually still fun when played solo, which is a pretty great plot twist.

6. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together; One of the best stories in any game I've ever played. Amazingly ambitious for its time and now updated to look as beautiful as it plays. I'm actually tempted to go back and replay, which I very seldom do, just so that I can discover other branching paths in the story and where those might lead.

7. Rayman: Origins; You already know that this game is beautiful and that the sound design is damned close to perfection. But there is one thing you might not know based on reviews and podcast discussion, and that is: anyone who isn't enjoying this game should try playing it co-op. No, not with your friend who isn't any good at games, but someone else who's also skilled at platformers. This game is meant to be played by people interested in trying to collect and discover everything, utilizing actual teamwork to reach out of the way areas. An outstanding co-op experience in a year filled with great cooperative games and modes. Second only to Portal 2.

8. Batman: Arkham City; The original Arkham was my GOTY the year it released, so it was almost inevitable that its sequel would disappoint. My expectations were just too high. Well, while Rocksteady didn't have shock value on their side this time, they did have polish and a commitment to an insane amount of content. While the main story isn't quite as good -- parts of the ending almost make no sense -- the side missions are all extremely well done and integrate well within the world. Not as big of a highlight in my year as the original, but I'm very excited to see where this series goes from here.

9. Ghost Trick; Missile. That's really all that needs to be said.

10. Pushmo; I wasn't sure what to put in the 10th spot. I went back and forth and there were so many more prestigious titles that seemed like they could fit here. There were larger games, with greater scope and depth. But much like when I turn on my 3DS and have so many options to choose from… I find myself default to Pushmo with shocking frequency.

x. Bastion; This really isn't my type of game so despite its polish and accessibility, it doesn't quite make my top ten. Still, it's a great game (with wonderful music) that had me coming back for more. A really enjoyable experience that I think just about everybody should try.

x. Super Mario 3D Land; Way more content than you realize at first, and also greater depth.

x. SpaceChem; I never liked science and puzzle games, though fun in spurts, have never really hooked me like they seem to with most people. SpaceChem is different. It's addictive and sometimes almost overwhelming but never frustrating and it always swerves back toward manageable in the end. I usually felt smarter after playing this.

x. Saints Row: The Third; I love this game. I really, really do. But there were just too many good games for it to make the final cut.

x. Corpse Party; This game got under my skin. Might not be worth the price for some, but it always sticks with me even after I've turned it off. Great vibe, best played with headphones.

There are so many "big" 2011 games that I haven't gotten around to playing yet. I probably should have spent the last week with Batman or Zelda, but I was still engrossed with Dark Souls. I guess my LTTP 2011 vote next year will be the real challenge. Anyway, as of right now:

1. Pokémon Black/White; Yeah, it's Pokémon. But the combination of all-new monsters for the single-player and all the different tweaks and improvements (reusable TMs, Audino grinding, faster and more animated battles, the best ending sequence in the series, etc.) kept me playing for over 250 hours this past year. For months after release, I would turn the game on for a few minutes each day to check for new item spawns in White Forest, check the GTS, look for swarming Pokémon and such. This game led to my favorite gaming moments of 2011: playing in the NeoGAF tournament (making it to the final round, losing 2-1). Even though I've spent so much time on this game already, the deceptive depth of the Battle Subway and the multiplayer metagame keeps me coming back. Pokémon White is my 2011 Game of the Year, hands (and stylus) down.

2. Dark Souls; I've always found it odd how so many video game characters can mow down scores of enemies without them putting up much of a fight. How strange that you can fell seemingly feral, rabid beasts without the player needing to pay much attention. Basically, standard enemies in most games just aren't imposing enough. Not so in Dark Souls. Pretty much any enemy can (and probably will) kill you in about 2 or 3 hits. You have to keep your guard up around every corner, every battle (often literally). And Dark Souls isn't just about all the dragons, undead knights, goat demons, face-eating mimics and magma-spewing spider ladies you face. What I also love about this game is how intricately the world is designed. You rarely go from bonfire to bonfire (the game's checkpoints) without seeing some shortcut, some ladder to knock down, a door to unlock, an elevator to activate that connects two distant parts of the gameworld together. Were it not for some terrible framerate issues, and the lack of pausing in hollow form, which -despite the claims of some fans- adds more annoyance than tension, this would be my top game.

3. Mario Kart 7; Yeah, it's Mario Kart. But unlike a certain other iterative Nintendo franchise, I've barely ever played this series (despite owning most of their consoles), so a lot of this is actually new to me. I know other people have argued over where this ranks with previous MKs, but I'm having too much fun striving for better times and getting crushed in the GAF community. Just wish there were more options.

4. Saints Row: The Third; The appeal for this game is less about the mechanics, which are adequate, than it is for the crazy set-pieces and loving little touches Volition put in this. Even people who haven't played this may have heard about
deckers.die, Murderbrawl XXXI, and Mayor Burt Reynolds
, but did you know that
upgrading your rifles gives you a sniper scope, or that you can plow through front windshields to quickly enter vehicles or that you can get a VTOL and a pixel-based tank or that each selectable character voice has different lines
? No? Well, you ought to play this so you can check what I just said in those spoiler tags. It's probably gnawing at you that you haven't experienced the amazing HolyShit!-inducing things in those spoiler tags you can't read, right?

*pours one out for THQ*

Wait...they're still alive? Oh. Well...I have six more games to talk about.

5. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective; If you liked Phoenix Wright, you should buy this. Otherwise Shu Takumi will be living in a cardboard box on the streets of Tokyo, and it will be YOUR fault because you wouldn't play a game with an entertaining story, fantastic animations, funny and memorable characters, and a catchy soundtrack. Seriously, even the between-chapter jingle is reminiscent of PW.

6. Outland; If you liked Iga's Castlevanias, you should buy this. Iga will still be living in a cardboard box on the streets of Tokyo no matter what you do.

7. Sonic Generations; An entertaining platformer that scratches a nostalgic itch. The best game soundtrack of the year?

8. Ms. 'Splosion Man; A challenging, often frustrating platformer that 'splodes your meat. Trying 2 girls 1 controller mode will 'splode your brain.

9. Stacking; A fun puzzle adventure with multiple solutions to every problem and the trademark Double Fine humor. This game is a testament to the sort of creative risks we can only experience because of digital distribution.

10. Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars; A fairly meaty turn-based strategy game from the mind behind X-Com.

x. Super Mario 3D Land

x. Frozen Synapse

2010. Bayonetta; I've written about how much I loved this game here, but I can't extol this game's virtues enough. This game is honestly better than all of the games I put on my 2011 list. I played this in September 2011 and upon finishing it, I immediately started a second playthrough on Hard. I would have continued on to Infinite Climax mode, but my backlog is too large to do that. Someday, Bayonetta, someday...

Oh hey! Can someone go check on THQ? I think they stopped breathing...

Tampinha

1.Deus Ex:Human Revolution

Before it's release, i didn't know what to think about Deus Ex.While i was hyped the game,i still had doubts if it would be a worthy sucessor for the first one.And it was.Eidos Montreal was able to capture the elements that made the first Deus Ex unique and tweak them.It's not perfect, the story was disappointing and the boss fights were terrible.But it's Deus Ex and Deus Ex is pretty fucking good.

2.The Witcher 2

Such a great universe, now with a superb story and better combat.the grey morality in every single choice and their repercussions show how morality and choices should be used in games.Also, those graphics.

3.Portal 2
While i liked Portal, i didn't think it was as amazing as most did, but Portal 2 improved in every way possible.An actual story and even better writing and a bigger cast.The new additions to the gameplay are also great, altough the game is a lot easier than the first one.

4.Gray Matter
This is the best adventure game in a long time, probably the best one of this generation.Jane Jensen returns with a worthy sucessor to the Gabriel Knight series.It must be one of my favorie stories of this gen, and has a pretty good cast.It doesn't do anything new in terms of gameplay, but the puzzles are challenging and overall pretty solid.

5.Batman: Arkham City
It better than Arkham Asylum, but not that much.The main story is good,but it focuses far too much on the Joker, so a lot of characters end up being underused or just ignored.While the combat system was improved,stealth was pretty much ignored.But overall it's still a fantastic and polished experience.

6.Yakuza 4
The best of the series, the new characters bring a fresh,and needed,air to Kamurocho.The story is really involving and the new characters,especially Akiyama,are interesting additions.The combat was tweaked for each character and the progression system was changed.

7.Dead Space 2

A extremely well made campaing, with a even better story,prettier graphics, better space sequences and a even more horrifying atmosphere.

8.Stacking

While short and easy,Stacking amazed me with it's art design and humor, the use of the matryoshka dolls was brilliant.

9.Back to The Future: The Game

Telltale and BTTF, enough said.

10.The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Great lore,atmosphere and exploration.But the combat still sucks.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm just going to do a top three, too lazy.

1. Dark Souls; except for the framerate. F u, framerate.
2. Portal 2; almost perfect.
3. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings; Best graphics and a better combat system than Skyrim makes it just edge out that game.
4. Rayman Origins; best platformer this year.

Edit: I felt bad for not acknowledging Rayman, so I'll throw it a few points.

I'm just going to do a top three, too lazy.

1. Dark Souls; except for the framerate. F u, framerate.
2. Portal 2; almost perfect.
3. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings; Best graphics and a better combat system than Skyrim makes it just edge out that game.
4. Rayman Origins; best platformer this year.

Edit: I felt bad for not acknowledging Rayman, so I'll throw it a few points.

not impressed by Skyward Sword?

It’s a shame that the tutorial is not so helpful for beginners.

I've put a few hours into it today and I think the learning curve is fine. It holds your hand at first, gives you a few easy levels and then just lets you sort out everything else at once. I immediately felt the satisfaction that I was coming up with my own solutions, and the fact that there was no hand holding was really nice. I'm really liking it a lot.

SamuraiX-

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
2. Assassin's Creed: Revelations
3. Dead Space 2
4. Battlefield 3
5. Batman: Arkham City
6. Dark Souls
7. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
8. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
9. Resistance 3
10. inFAMOUS 2

2010: Red Dead Redemption

I was gonna write something about each of my choices, but it felt like too much work. :(

I'd be happy to let anyone know what I thought about any of my selections and why I placed each where I did if anyone happens to be curious.

he didn't heed my many, many warnings. and i actually did warn him numerous times that he was setting himself up for disappointment.

Fair enough. I mean, waiting 5 years is enough to get anyone disappointed. Although personally, I was satisfied even if Nintendo didn't end up making the Mario Galaxy of Zeldas.

Legend_of_Zelda_Skyward_Sword_boxart.png

1. Zelda Skyward Sword; Easily the best game of the year. Absolutely amazing level design that introduces new gameplay elements, beautiful visual style and an incredible soundtrack. More importantly, it demonstrates that motion games can work, and can work extremely well.

2. Mortal Kombat; An incredible return to form of the series. Best thing is the wealth of content and the satisfying fighting mechanics.

3. Batman Arkham City; Better than AA in almost every way. Extremely enjoyable world that made me more interested in Batman than any other product. The hand to hand combat, while simple, is the most elegantly executed of any similar game.

4. Super Mario 3D Land; Platforming bliss on the go. Every level is a blast to play and the 3D effect enhances the experience.

5. Gears of War 3; Excellent conclusion to the series. The game has the best shooting combat of any shooter I've played, and the campaign was paced perfectly. Even the story, which I didn't give 2 fucks in prior games turned out to be very good, and the one emotional moment in the game hit me hard.

6. Bastion; Innovative concept that also has great gameplay and utterly gorgeous visual design. The story is easy to follow and very interesting. I loved the combat too.

7. Dark Souls; It can be an incredibly frustrating experience, and it has a shitload of things that could be considered terrible game design, yet the game deserves the praise it gets for doing what other games would never attempt to do. The combat is very enjoyable, and killing monsters after preparing yourself for a long time is immensely rewarding.

8. Mario Kart 7; The best Mario Kart to date. The track design is fantastic, and the gameplay is better than ever. Blue shells and Maka Wuhu are the only bad parts about the game.

9. Pushmo; Great use of the 3D effects and clever puzzle mechanics. You get a lot of bang for the buck with this one.

10. Where's My Water; Easily the best pick and play game on the iOS store. Great puzzle mechanics and a shitload of levels. It's also extremely polished, and it runs beautifully.

AniHawk

that's more like it.

kilgore trout said:
Although personally, I was satisfied even if Nintendo didn't end up making the Mario Galaxy of Zeldas.

see, i thought they did
-annoying hubworld
-central idea that works (gravity in smg, motion controls in ss)
-easy level design because they were afraid newcomers would be confused by new central idea
-awesome final level
-lots of text popping up for no good reason
-long opening story segment

Ikabu

Neo Member
Completely forgot about this, just got time to do the top 3.

1. Portal 2
2. Rayman Origins
3. Trackmania 2 Canyon

2010: Just Cause 2

Ryn

1. The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings; PC.
2. Dark Souls; 360.
3. Catherine; 360.
4. Portal 2; PC.
5. Technika 3; Arcade.
6. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword; Wii.
7. Dead Space 2; 360.
8. Battlefield 3; PC.
9. Xenoblade Chronicles; Wii.
10. Mortal Kombat; 360.

Mubbed

1. Catherine - Action puzzling never felt so good. The feeling of conquering Babel is up there with the tactical challenges of Vanquish. You just don't get that kind of fidelity and depth in a puzzle game. The adventure elements were also well crafted. The game has a presence and lore that will stick with me for ages.

2. Rayman Origins - The most impressive sidescrolling platformer I have played in years. The level design is top notch and the aesthetics are up there with the best of all time. The pacing and difficulty is on spot, which is hard to believe considering how lengthy the game is.

3. Radiant Historia - Radiant's grid based combat system completely won me over. The interesting time travel mechanic (for side-quest purposes) and lack of random battles were just icing.

4. Skyward Sword - This is here mainly for the combat system, which I hope Nintendo further explores in future installments. Skyward also commits one of the greatest sins in gaming with a disgusting amount of filler.

5. Corpse Party - I believe Corpse Party nailed the atmosphere much better than Ghost Trick (odd comparison, I know). The fourth chapter completely makes the game, I enjoyed chapters 2 through 4 quite a bit. The fan service during the opening and the hoops you have to jump through for the true ending do sour the experience somewhat.

2010. Nier - I managed to keep track of 999, Infinite Space, Deadly Premonition, Vanquish and the like during last year but I was completely unaware of Nier up until a few months ago. An incredibly charming game that blends elements from many genres; the text adventure segments caught me completely by surprise. The combat system is Nier's only weakness, and it makes up only a tiny fraction of the overall experience.

1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
2. Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
3. Catherine
4. Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
5. The King of Fighters XIII
6. Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
7. Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
8. Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland
9. Elemental Monster -Online Card Game-
10. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

x. Persona 2: Innocent Sin
x. Pushmo
x. Professor Layton & the Last Specter
x. Pokémon Black/White
x. Dead or Alive: Dimensions

Einbroch

Banned
No time to write out in-depth thoughts...

1. Skyrim
2. Rayman Origins
3. Dark Souls
4. Dead Space 2
5. Saints Row: The Third
6. Gears of War 3
7. Infamous 2
8. Dues Ex: Human Revolution
9. Bastion
10. Catherine

that's more like it.

see, i thought they did
-annoying hubworld
-central idea that works (gravity in smg, motion controls in ss)
-easy level design because they were afraid newcomers would be confused by new central idea
-awesome final level
-lots of text popping up for no good reason
-long opening story segment

I was mainly talking about the quality and variety of the level design, but you're right that the motion controls were very well implemented in SS. I suppose the problem for me was that the 3rd dungeon was my favorite and I kept on expecting something to top it, but nothing did so I kind of ran out of steam by the end. And despite how well the dungeons were implemented with the overworld, I did feel like I wasn't really exploring the same what I was in TP even if the latter was a little too large and empty. Still, most of my complaints are niggling considering the high expectations for Zelda games (SS was still my goty, for example).

AniHawk

yeah i don't dislike ss, and i'm not crazy about it either. i'm just disappointed the game fell into some of the same trappings as the first mario galaxy.

Just realized I was allowed to post today, so real quick off the top of my head!

1. Rayman Origins - This game deserves every bit of praise it got and more. Seriously, buy it already! It is truly an amazing game. The level design is amazing and diverse, my mind would get blown at certain parts of the stages. The real genius of the level design comes through when trying to do the time trials and you see how the levels flow. The game is easy for anyone to jump in and play so it makes for a great co op game. However, completing all of the challenges require a lot of skill and has kept me coming back to this game over and over. That along with the art, humor, and the ability to laugh and have a great time with my wife playing co op has made this my favorite game of the year.

2. Uncharted 3 - Hard for me to put this ahead of number 3, but Naughty Dog is just in a different league as a developer. The shipyard scene and then moving to the boat without a single load time was just mesmerizing. Story telling was great as always and for the first time I felt there was a great villain(s) for the franchise. Aiming was a big issue that should have never been messed with, but that aside this game should be an inspiration to other developers. According to Ken Levine of Bioshock and the developers of the new Tomb Raider, it has.

3. Saints Row: The Third - I generally don't care much for open world games (I get bored and end up screwing around a lot), but this game was such a treat and I just couldn't put it down. Still can't. The vehicles, the weapons, the customization, the music, there is just so much variety and hilarity to this game. I for one loved the graphics as well, minus pop in. Taking over the city is fun and keeps you engaged for a very long time. And man is there a lot to do, this game is a completionist's dream game. Also the co op is handled extremely well and is a blast to play with a friend. Just embodies fun all around.

4. Terraria - This is a game that stole 2 months of the last year from me. It's just hard to explain it. You dig and dig and dig, fight some enemies that get in the way of digging, then build to your heart's content, craft weapons and armor, kill more enemies that are getting in the way of better materials, then craft more things, build some more, summon a wall of flesh, slay some unicorns, build a sky bridge, watch out for the wyvern, and before I know it 2 months have gone by. Another game that is a blast to play with others. Crazy that two people made this game.

5. Outland - I love downloadable games and for me only having a PS3 and not getting a chance to play Bastion, Outland was the best downloadable game I played. The switching colors to absorb energy and attack was a simple, well used, and fun mechanic. As the game progressed areas became even more challenging to move through as you were forced to switch colors to avoid getting hurt but at the same time contend with enemies. Sounds like a recipe for frustration, but it was actually a joy to play, and I always looked forward to the next challenge.

6. Rochard - This game needs more love. It's a great platformer with some stellar voice work and level design. The combat is a bit clunky and you are asked to take on many enemies at times, but controlling gravity and moving things around to solve a level was always fun. Must have for platform and puzzle fans!

7. Little Big Planet 2 - Another Platformer! It is more of the same from the first LBP, however, the new abilities and creation tools were a game changer and offers seemingly endless amount of content to play. Also the story mode was a lot better this time around, well because it actually had a story.

That was the bulk of what I played that came out this year.

I was LTTP on a few titles that I caught up on

x Bayonetta - WOW!!! Can't believe I missed this game when it came out. Combos never felt so good.

x Batman Arkham Asylum - Spoiler alert next year's LTTP will be Arkham City

x God of War 3 - Scale of the combat is unmatched in my opinion.

I'm grateful for the extension, which gave me a chance to get more games under my belt and consider my picks in more depth. Will edit in some additional comments later:

1. Rayman Origins
2. Super Mario 3D Land
3. Kirby Mass Attack
4. Dead Space 2
5. Kirby's Return to Dreamland
6. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
7. Hard Corps: Uprising
8. Alice: Madness Returns
9. Pilotwings Resort
10. Outland

Backlog: Alien Infestation, Solatorobo: Red the Hunter, Infamous 2 + a crap load more I'd like to eventually get around to.

Diamond

Hope it's readable for you guys, it's late (or really early) here and I could've probably done a top 20 in a completely different order. Fantastic year.

1. Dark Souls ; It’s telling that the player is already dead when he starts a new game. It’s an amusing paradox. In Dark Souls, you’re never sure. You’re never sure of where to go, of what to do, of HOW to do it. You explore, you experiment, you live your adventure because you’re so close to death at all times. You’re never sure of how to feel. Characters help you, characters betray you, without fancy cutscenes. Characters who have helped you die. Bosses destroy you. You learn to fight them. You destroy them. But then, sometimes, you’re crushed when you do so. You collect souls. You lose them. Not completely. You live again. You hurry to get them back. You lose them again. You despair. And then you win them again. You fight another player online. You’re losing. And then another player arrives and saves you.

Dark Souls world feels like there’s a story behind every wall, every door, every bridge you cross, every corridor you stride along. Dark Souls feels like you can do anything, then nothing, then anything again. Dark Souls feels like life, then death. Dark Souls feels like this year’s best game.

2. Deus Ex : Human Revolution ; We can all include Deus Ex in a top 10 list again, guys ! It’s amazing. And it’s for good reasons, which is even more amazing. It’s for Adam Jensen, contender for coolest futuristic hero ever. It’s for the dialog system, simple and clever at the same time. It’s for Eidos Montreal’s dark, classy vision of the future. It’s for the multiple solutions you can use to solve your objectives. It’s for the atmospheric OST. It’s for I never asked for this. An imperfect, yet strong, courageous, intelligent, compelling, moody game. It’s Deus Ex, and it’s here.

3. Top Spin 4 ; It’s a sports game, it’s the fourth episode of the series, so including it into a top ten sounds boring. But it SO belongs on the list. I played dozens of tennis games in my life, and this is probably the best experience you can get in this genre.
The gameplay is refined compared to earlier entries, simplified and deeper at the same time. The guys at (former) PAM have produced the best animations I’ve ever seen in a tennis game, and the best part is these are far from being just eye-candy : they interact with the gameplay, give you feedback on your options in a rally, give information about stamina or power, etc. It’s, like, the Street Fighter of tennis games : playing against another player is incredible, defeating a top player extraordinarily rewarding. You have an indecent amount of tactical choices at all times, and you have to use your knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of the player you chose and of the opponent you face. In every single stroke, the game calculates three different ball effects, two kinds of attack behaviours, precision versus power and four different timings. A lower/higher, faster/slower, longer/shorter stroke changes the way you must choose your next move. It’s the real thing.

4. Rayman : Origins ; Without a doubt, one of the best platformers made during this renaissance of the genre we’re witnessing nowadays. Incredible art, reminiscing of the French/Belgian Bande Dessinée new scene (Larcenet, Trondheim and others), Ancel’s glorious return, Christophe Heral’s inventive and eclectic music, perfectly matching Michel’s design philosophy, great level layout managing to be equally interesting to play by beginners, lums and electoons hunters, time trials addicts, alone or with a friend, or two, or three. Perhaps it’s not technically the best gameplay-wise, but the complete package, with its “made at home” feel, screams quality.

But Origins adds something to the mix very few titles have. To me, one of the greatest achievements of this game is that it’s an interactive comedy. Better yet, an emergent one. Origins hasn’t any script (well, a veeeery light one) but is hilarious to play. It provides a canvas for an infinite amount of goofy situations. I rarely have laughed as many times as I have during the many coop sessions me and my friends did, late at night, having trouble distinguishing who was who on-screen. What’s important is all those funny moments are created with the players as actors, not only spectators, by them simply taking control, exploring the world, hitting each other during tense platforming moments, improvising dance moves with the characters animations, mimicking the characters own moves during the groovy looms-count-screens (dadadadada da, dadadadada dada !), humming along with the songs. The visuals, the characters, the level-design do the rest.

5. Ghost Trick : Phantom Detective ; Shu Takumi makes me think of a funnier, “game-designier” Naoki Urasawa. Complex plots, lots of characters, timelines and fates interconnected. But it’s funny. It’s lighthearted, in a compelling way. Ghost Trick is more gamey than Phoenix Wright and manages to perfectly blend its gameplay ideas into its narration. It’s also very well animated and visually designed.
Even if the end wasn’t the tear-jerker type, I was a little sad when I finished Ghost Trick, and that’s when I knew it would be on this list.

6. Catherine ; It’s cool to see Katsura Hashino’s team trying something fun between two Persona games. They could have made another RPG from a famous series, but instead they made this crazy social sim-puzzle title out of the blue. And it worked ! It worked because the puzzle segments were good, difficult (but mostly fair) and required a calculated approach, and the story sections in the Stray Sheep helped to develop the story and characters, which were all quite interesting. I loved the fact that you can discover a deeper meaning behind the story when you play the other modes after the ending. Clever, Atlus, clever. Now, more of Catherine in my Persona 5, please !

7. Bastion ; Bastion is a great experimentation in the gaming-as-a-narrative-form field. It creates a unique world with a unique mood, mysterious landscape where everything could depend on you. Would this world even exist, would the Bastion have a purpose without you ?

Bastion has a great art style and I liked the dynamic and straightforward gameplay, with short levels, but I’d like to talk the most about the sound design. First, the narrator, which is a great device to make otherwise rather neutral actions mean something. Second, the OST, which makes the world feel alive, and more precisely the incredible songs, perfectly integrated into the game-design and the story. This one moment in the last part of the game really feels like a musical version of Braid’s last level. It will stay with me for a long time.

8. Shadows of the Damned ; It’s Grindhouse : the game, with Suda’s quirkiness directly injected into it. It’s like Robert Rodriguez was born in the other side of the Pacific (robato rodorigesu) and made videogames. It’s a game where the universe and the characters feel like they truly belong where they are. There’s never an Uncharted-like disconnection between the hero and his actions : the world is crazy to begin with. Garcia Fucking Hotspur has come to kick some ass and make some low-brow jokes, everybody knows it and just go with the flow. And what a ride this is. You can find the Mikami supervised gameplay not completely exploited (and, probably, rightly so), but Shadows is about running on giant naked women, switching without warning to 2D side-scroller action, or just Garcia and « Morte » Johnson reading some books about their enemies. It’s definitely better than an Alanis Morissette song.

9. From Dust ; Eric Chahi’s latest game is worth playing because it makes you earth-aware. You’re no longer the guys waging war on the planet. You ARE the planet. You can feel the power of nature at work, you’re strong and weak at the same time. The game design is so good everything that happens seems like it's obvious, and you just have to adapt, to find solutions, to respect your own capacities. The last level of the game, to me, was interesting both from a gameplay and philosophical point of view. You have all the powers. You can shape the world as you see fit. But is it really what you want, what you need ? What’s the point ? Wouldn’t it be better to disappear, like the ancients, and start over ?

10. To the Moon ; I’ll remember some scenes of this game for a long, long time. Some people would call it an interactive movie or something like that. To me it’s still a game, and it shows that even with little interactivity and a good script, you can move players and convey deeper themes than usual. Sure, Kan Gao could have tried to add more choices throughout the game, maybe different branches in the story, but as it is, the experience was still much of a game for me : I was in the world, I explored John’s house, I pushed forward because I wanted to know what was his childhood secret or why River’s rabbit obsession meant. When I found out about all this, it felt… Different. Controlling characters definitely adds a layer, and as little interactivity as there is in To the Moon, I’m glad this kind of game exists. We have a fantastic medium and it’s one of the ways we can express ourselves in it.

x. Portal 2 ; Was initially in my top 10, but hey, I guess it'll win (or be very close to winning) and a lot of guys have already said why it's so good. Loved the songs, loved the atmosphere, loved the characters. Would like Valve to try some crazier things gameplay-wise next time though. Still, top 10 worthy and a fine potential winner of GAF GOTY.

x. Child of Eden ; Seriously... Wanted to include it too. It's a great game, makes you feel like you're diving in another universe. Count it as a 10 bis, please ! :)

x. Radiant Historia ; I haven't played Xenoblade yet so I couldn't include it, but Radiant Historia is another great JRPG that more people should try. Everything is solid, characters are likeable. It was a little bit long for me, but I really liked it

x. The Book of Living Magic ; A mesmerizing flash-game by one of my favourite indie-devs. Charming and mysterious world with a crazy amount of detail.

x. El Shaddaï : Ascension of the Metatron ; Visually, one of the most beautiful games I've played. The fights were less interesting, but exploring this world was definitely worth it.

2010. Kane and Lynch 2 : Dog Days ; Would love to elaborate, but I'm running out of time. I just love the bold direction Io took with this game. It's cruel, it's dirty, it has two great heroes and a fantastic sense of style.

bluestuff

Completly forgot about this :)

Here's mine

1. The Witcher 2
2. Portal 2
3. Bastion
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
6. Battlefield 3
7. Deadspace 2
8. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
9. Batman: Arkham City