• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2011 - Voting Thread - Voting's Over, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judgement Day is coming.

Judgementday.jpg

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Glad more people took time out to explain why they liked their top ten this year. I enjoyed reading a lot of these lists, even if I didn't always concur with their picks.

randomkid

Uncharted 3 won't make the top ten.

source: Just quickly flicking through the thread.

you should get better sources

edit: here's a hint guys, last year the list using the scoring system and the list just ordered by number of ballot appearances were nearly identical.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wasn't paying that much attention to it overall, but I'd guess Skyrim wins, Portal 2 is second, and Dark Souls is third from how much I saw them posted. Dark Souls might even be second or first
I hope not
, a lot of people made single posts containing just that game, more than I noticed for any others atleast.

Just browsing through this thread I feel bad for simply listing games without talking more about why I chose them. Not that anyone would read or care, but still.

Also thinking I should play Shadows of the Damned and give Outland another shot.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just browsing through this thread I feel bad for simply listing games without talking more about why I chose them. Not that anyone would read or care, but still.

Also thinking I should play Shadows of the Damned and give Outland another shot.

I'd care, baby.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
1.The Witcher 2
2.Skyrim
3.Deus Ex
4.Arkham Asylum
5.Bulletstorm
6.Uncharted 3
7.Dead Island
8.Killzone 3

edit: might be late

AniHawk

I wasn't paying that much attention to it overall, but I'd guess Skyrim wins, Portal 2 is second, and Dark Souls is third from how much I saw them posted. Dark Souls might even be second or first
I hope not
, a lot of people made single posts containing just that game, more than I noticed for any others atleast.

stuff like that is why i had the 'minimum of three' rule in place. i mean there should at least be three games in a year you might enjoy playing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If I had it my way, everyone would only have one vote, their GOTY.

Edit: I love reading people talk about why they love games, of course, but as far as voting is concerned I'm not convinced a list is the best method.

I took so long to come up with a list I just tried to narrow it down and post before deadline. I planned on going back and editing in comments but now that seems weird since voting is over and we're all moving on to results. Rest assured, fellow gaffers, I had nothing to say that wasn't said before. Just would have used a lot more random commas.

AniHawk

If I had it my way, everyone would only have one vote, their GOTY.

Edit: I love reading people talk about why they love games, of course, but as far as voting is concerned I'm not convinced a list is the best method.

well it's always been a games of the year thing, the idea being that there were multiple titles you enjoyed (plus it's kinda hard to create the genre subsections when people are only listing one game).

it's just less interesting all-around. and i understand the sentiment of enjoying one game over all others by a large amount, which is why the gap thing was implemented too.

Iksenpets

Banned
I took so long to come up with a list I just tried to narrow it down and post before deadline. I planned on going back and editing in comments but now that seems weird since voting is over and we're all moving on to results. Rest assured, fellow gaffers, I had nothing to say that wasn't said before. Just would have used a lot more random commas.

You sold me with the random commas. Edit away!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I do see the advantages. I respect the current system.

I guess I just think it would make people REALLY think about how they want to place their vote. In theory, we'd get more people talking about why they liked the game they're voting for, as a result.

But yeah, we get a much more diverse list with this system.

I’ve already written my posts

Game X won! F*ck you, GAF! It’s sad not to see Game Y in the top spot. Game Y would have won if everyone played the right version. Eh Gaf cares more about story than game play, the story was loosely held together. How the hell was Game Z so high too? It sticks out, I’m shocked and sad. Obscure Niche game was robbed!

Or

Well done GAF! GAF always has excellent taste. Woo it won!

I think one of my favorite things about these threads is I always find a few games that I would not have discovered otherwise, usually "buried" at slots 7-10 of somebody's list. I decide to give them a go based on the poster's comments on the game, and I end up loving it.

Looking forward to that again this year!

And yeah, I've been very careful to continue Anihawk's Games of the Year style, as I think it was a wise decision as far as recognizing what the forum is about. Also, what I've found is that people really want to list a bunch of games to spread the credit around. Hell, you'd think 10 would be enough but we have people listing 10 and then another 5-10 "honorable mentions" and so on!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
why yes. you can write me an email, I'll send you more pics if you are interested ;)

v3ycq.jpg

nice, I just sent a really kinky email (not joking lol).

anyways, I'm hoping the results are out soon, look forward to the results and the reaction to the results.

It's a shame that nothing this year will cause as big a stink as Heavy Rain reaching #6 in last years poll. Reading the reactions of certain individuals in relation to Quantic Dream's interactive movie placing so highly was pretty lolworthy.

Duffyside

Banned
It's a shame that nothing this year will cause as big a stink as Heavy Rain reaching #6 in last years poll. Reading the reactions of certain individuals in relation to Quantic Dream's interactive movie placing so highly was pretty lolworthy.

I don't know, man. Skyrim has a real good shot of winning, and a lot of people really hate that game. Like me.

AniHawk

i didn't... hurt anyone, did i?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, I forgot Dawn of War 2 Retribution came out this year. I would have SOOO voted it in my top 10. NOOOO

Despera

Banned
I don't know, man. Skyrim has a real good shot of winning, and a lot of people really hate that game. Like me.
You're lucky I didn't vote then.

Skyrim would've been my #1, followed by Dark Souls and The Witcher 2.

I just was too darn lazy didn't play enough of any of those to form a final opinion, so I decided not to vote.

seady

Next year people will realize Skyrim does not worth winning, just like Mass Effect 2 shouldn't win against Red Dead last year that people now seem to realize. Same goes with MGS4 over Mario Galaxy and Bioshock.

Chinner

Banned
Next year people will realize Skyrim does not worth winning, just like Mass Effect 2 shouldn't win against Red Dead last year that people now seem to realize. Same goes with MGS4 over Mario Galaxy and Bioshock.

i suspect that wil be the sentiment. have to wait for votes to be counted but i think portal 2 will win judging by the sheer quantity of mentions.

kitzkozan

Skyrim probably won't win, I think it will eventually be Portal 2 since it's on so many lists.

MGS4 beat both Galaxy and Bioshock despite coming out a year after those games? Holy shit!

That's your opinion. I loved both ME2 and RDR, but ultimately felt ME2 was the better game.

Yeah, Skyrim's going to get some serious backlash. Undeserved, imo, but oh well.

Eusis

People had a year to get over ME2 (which admittedly is a point Skyrim DOESN'T have) and I saw plenty of nay saying when lurking... and it STILL came out ahead. I'm not sure people really turned around on that so much as a silent majority (or disappointed fans who STILL liked it a lot) voted it in. Probably will be similar for Skyrim if it comes out on top, though in that case the game will actively get better over the years anyway via modding.

Kurtofan

Nope, most people here don't think ME2 didn't deserve to win (it deserved to win, with New Vegas ), haters only got more vocal because of its GOTY win and also because of DA2.

For the record RDR is a great game, but definitely not a GOTY compared to ME2 and FNV, in my opinion.

RDR has a much better story that's even told better with one of the best climaxes gaming has ever seen and a wonderful epilogue. The shooting is also more fun and it's generally more beautiful than ME 2. ME 2 has a better framerate, a more rich and detailed universe and a better host of supporting characters. That said, every advantage ME 2 has isn't something that RDR needed to be effective... the same isn't true of RDR's advantages over ME 2.

SykoTech

Portal 2 is definitely walking away with this. Skyrim will be 2nd. Skyward Sword and Uncharted 3 will probably be pretty distant from those two as well.

Same goes with MGS4 over Mario Galaxy and Bioshock.

If you're going to whine like this, it would help to at least make sure that you know what you're talking about.

Diamond

There's a pretty easy way to quickly figure out the order for the top five. We'll see if I'm right, but it's gotta be Portal 2 ahead by a lot, then Skyrim, then Uncharted, then Deus Ex, then either Arkham or Dark Souls which are pretty close.

By the way Diamond, nice list, fun to read with interesting things to say, wish there were more posts like it in the thread.

Thanks ! There were some nasty english errors in this post but in my defense it was 6AM here and I just came back home. Hope the general feelings I had were conveyed nonetheless. :)
Now the actual rankings will be interesting to consult. Top 10 should be packed with great games this year.

Riposte

As if ME2 or RDR can even approach Vanquish and Bayonetta, lol.

Amir0x

Banned
not impressed by Skyward Sword?

It's not awful, a Zelda game never is... and it has some of the highest highs in the series (sandsea yo). But it also has some of the lowest lows, and they are far more consistent than the highs. It actually annoyed me sufficiently enough to immediately sell my Wii finally after completion, though. Although I guess I fucked myself out of Xenoblade as a result. Like I knew NOA would finally cave, knowing the right type of bastards they are! Ah well.

Portal 2 is going to win because it appeared on so many more lists than Skyrim.

I'm kind of excited. This'll be the first GOTY GAF and I agree with.

Portal 2 is going to win because it appeared on so many more lists than Skyrim.

I'm kind of excited. This'll be the first GOTY GAF and I agree with.

Eh, I think Portal 2 is a bit overhyped to be honest, and easier than the first game which is majorly disappointing.

Eh, I think Portal 2 is a bit overhyped to be honest, and easier than the first game which is majorly disappointing.
I'm not going to get into defending the game, but Portal 1 was easy as hell most of the time, and you probably remember it being harder because the concept was new at the time.

I'm glad Portal 2 wasn't that hard (I only got stuck once). To me, being stuck at a puzzle for however many minutes isn't fun.

Besides. Wheatley > *

I think Dark Souls is a dark horse here (lol). It's on a lot of people's lists and usually at the top or near the top. I could see it topping Skyrim or Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom