• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2011 - Voting Thread - Voting's Over, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
Between this and the MGS4 love the last few posts have really highlighted why this voting process is highly flawed: people with awful opinions can take part!

I would think grossly undeserving games winning here each of the last ~4 years or so (probably longer but that's as far as my memory goes) proved that already.

Amir0x

Banned
Between this and the MGS4 love the last few posts have really highlighted why this voting process is highly flawed: people with awful opinions can take part!

I find it highly informative, really. It helps you immediately known whose opinion you can disregard in the future regarding the subject of games.

People with taste that matters:
22,891. Derrick01

It seems to me that it's either going to be Dark Souls or Portal 2.

After looking at this thread more closely, I think it will be Portal 2 by quite a margin (seriously, the game is like on everyone's list, often around the top too) followed by Skyrim. Dark Souls has a chance for third spot but no way is it beating Portal. Which saddens me greatly, I thought GAF would have finer taste.

NeoUltima

MGS4 still deserves GOTY 2008 even today. And I mean that wholeheartedly.

Come at me.

Of course it does. It won GAF's vote so it does, as far as GAF is concerned, still deserve the award. It's not like the game came out November and people were still high on it. The game released in June. People had plenty of time to evaluate the game. Did everyone just magically decided to hate on the game after it won GAF's goty? I don't think so.

It's just a passionate vocal minority.

Everyone has a right to disagree with the choice of goty. But to say a goty is undeserving or a sham is bullshit...if it got the most votes, it deserved it.
For example, if Modern Warfare 3 wins this year, I would disagree. But I would not discredit gaf's collective opinion.

After looking at this thread more closely, I think it will be Portal 2 by quite a margin (seriously, the game is like on everyone's list, often around the top too) followed by Skyrim. Dark Souls has a chance for third spot but no way is it beating Portal. Which saddens me greatly, I thought GAF would have finer taste.

There will be nothing wrong with GAF's taste when Portal 2 is elected GotY.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It wasn't in my top 10, but Portal 2 would be a great choice. I figured Skyrim would be a sure thing, but Portal 2 has a chance.

Haunted

At this point I'll take anything as long as Dark Souls doesn't win. I'd like to have one year here where I can look at the result and just go "hmm...ok whatever" instead of just furiously shaking my head and wondering what the majority of you people were doing during voting time.

I saw lots of high Deus Ex votes. I'll be very pleased if that places top 3.
It's a two horse race between Portal and Skyrim, afaik. So you'll get your no Dark Souls wish at least. :p

I think one of my favorite things about these threads is I always find a few games that I would not have discovered otherwise, usually "buried" at slots 7-10 of somebody's list.

I already played The Stanley Parable thanks to Kabouter's inclusion of it in his list, so it's working for me!

It's just a passionate vocal minority.

Well. The GAF GOTY awards are calculated in an additive way: we look for a game that lots of people positively voted, taking no account for negative feedback (you can't vote against anything) and valuing volume over positioning (a game that everyone listed at #10 would beat a game that only 20% of respondents included but which they all put as #1.)

As a result, our particular mechanism is extremely friendly to popular but polarizing titles (a description that applies to various degrees to both ME2 and MGS4). If there's a game that huge swathes of GAF GOTY voters played, if half of them adored the title it'll do extremely well even if the other half loathed it.

(What I can't quite account for is GAF's tendency to hand out GOTYs to platform exclusives despite the logic that more posters have almost always had the chance to play the multiplatform stuff.)

Nert

Lol, yea that's a good idea. Lets have people who spend more time posting than playing games vote for GOTY.

I assume that a lot of the people who voted for three or less games fall into this category already (unless they played more than that but disliked almost all of them somehow).

I'm feeling pretty hopeful about it breaking the top 30.
It'll be a crime if it doesn't at least break the top 10. At least on GAF, of all places.

No one, not even Ubisoft, gives a shit about the game :|
Seems like it crept into a lot of the later submissions in this thread, and often pretty high up on the list. I like to think once people were able to get over the price hurdle after it bombed they finally realized how great it actually is. Too bad it took failure at retail for the game to start getting its dues. The "lol 2D, should have been a DD" crowd can suck it.

I gave it my #1 Game of the Year spot. I did my part.
And I salute you.

Wallach

Portal 2, Deus Ex, and Skyrim top 3 would be pretty cool with me, since those were the only mainstream titles I had on my list. Dungeons of Dredmor and King of Dragon Pass are awesome but an indie PC game and an obscure old PC-turned-iOS game were not going to light up the charts here.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, yea that's a good idea. Lets have people who spend more time posting than playing games vote for GOTY.

Not that I want that rule in place, but I think there's something to be said for the people who actually participate most in the community defining the GAF GOTY more so than those who passively take it in.

Kabouter

I already played The Stanley Parable thanks to Kabouter's inclusion of it in his list, so it's working for me!
Yay, making the list was worth the effort!
Now if only Ubisoft stopped being douchebags with their DRM so more people would actually be willing to check out Anno 2070

Not that I want that rule in place, but I think there's something to be said for the people who actually participate most in the community defining the GAF GOTY more so than those who passively take it in.

Yeah, I disagree. Some people just post less than others, even if they might be reading a lot. Doesn't make them any less a part of this community imo.

Haunted

Geez guys, I was only joking with the 10k post thing. :p

For all the praise the excellent Bastion narrator got, The Stanley Parable secretly had the best narration work this year. Real talk.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving posters with over 10k posts double vote scores, but honestly I'm sure that would cause uproar.

or

disallowing junior members from voting. This would probably cause even more uproar though.

I think a good reasoning with the votes should be a MUST personally.

I always try to summarise my feelings about a game as good as I can in GOTY threads. It's often hard to articulate, but still, you should give a good reason I feel.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I wouldn't be opposed to giving posters with over 10k posts double vote scores, but honestly I'm sure that would cause uproar.

Everyone in the 10K+ club should be allowed to invalidate one vote. For example, if a poster makes a list I don't like, I can PM a mod and have his or her post permanently deleted.

Kabouter

Everyone in the 10K+ club should be allowed to invalidate one vote. For example, if a poster makes a list I don't like, I can PM a mod and have his or her post permanently deleted.

In that scenario, being a mod myself is probably the only thing standing between my vote and deletion.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
In no way am I suggesting that anything like this actually take place. Let me make that clear. I like that everyone has a vote.

All I'm saying is that when I post here, I usually see a pretty huge range or voices on a consistent basis. There are people I come to recognize putting effort into articulating themselves all year round. I love that. That's why I post on GAF. So, when it comes time to vote, I kind of have to take the results with a grain of salt. The final tally doesn't represent the GAF that I interact with on a day-to-day basis. And maybe that's appropriate, it's just not the list I'd find most interesting, because it includes those who don't put any effort into articulating themselves. I don't know who they are. They could be awesome, they're just not GAF to me.

Again, I'm not saying the voting should be changed. The current system works because it's a super set of the people I'm interested in. I can just sift through and find recognizable faces and see what they voted for. That's cool!

For all the praise the excellent Bastion narrator got, The Stanley Parable secretly had the best narration work this year. Real talk.

yeah, The Stanley Parable is very clever. I paraded it around in the Souce Mod thread back when it was released, and later someone else made a thread. It's a game everyone should play, and it's ostensibly free, though I can't remember if source mods can be played without HL2 these days.

Research and Development is another source/HL2 mod from a few years back that's fantastic. Almost like telling Half-Life 2 using Portal's puzzle gameplay.

personally I post more when I'm busy doing work and can alt+tab over to gaf. if/when I have a lot of free time, I try to spend that time playing video games. but I have the luxury of being able to work and dick around online at the same time.

In no way am I suggesting that anything like this actually take place. Let me make that clear. I like that everyone has a vote.

All I'm saying is that when I post here, I usually see a pretty huge range or voices on a consistent basis. There are people I come to recognize putting effort into articulating themselves all year round. I love that. That's why I post on GAF. So, when it comes time to vote, I kind of have to take the results with a grain of salt. The final tally doesn't represent the GAF that I interact with on a day-to-day basis. And maybe that's appropriate, it's just not the list I'd find most interesting.

Again, I'm not saying the voting should be changed. The current system works because it's a super set of the people I'm interested in. I can just sift through and find recognizable faces and see what they voted for. That's cool!

Mhm, it would be interesting, but tedious for whoever does the tallying each year to break down the thread results into different categories.

Obviously there would be the overall vote.

Then they could do the GOTY for just the 10k+ posters.

And perhaps GOTY without J-Members and/or what it would be with only J-member votes.

Yen

All I'm saying is that when I post here, I usually see a pretty huge range or voices on a consistent basis. There are people I come to recognize putting effort into articulating themselves all year round. I love that. That's why I post on GAF. So, when it comes time to vote, I kind of have to take the results with a grain of salt. The final tally doesn't represent the GAF that I interact with on a day-to-day basis. And maybe that's appropriate, it's just not the list I'd find most interesting, because it includes those who don't put any effort into articulating themselves. I don't know who they are. They could be awesome, they're just not GAF to me.

In my defence, I was drunk when I wrote my list and couldn't articulate myself.

Kabouter

Yeah, I can see your point there.

On another note, I'm pretty pleasantly surprised this year with the quality of the lists. I may not necessarily agree with all of them, or even most of them, but at least there are many posters who put in more effort than just listing ten titles. So many people took effort to explain their choices, which actually made the voting thread fun to read. Hopefully even more people will choose to do so next year.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
How about we just play 6 bullet Russian Roulette to decide what counts.

Already seen what the people I like voted for, so I'm content. Though I'm still gonna bitch either way.

Riposte

Some random numbers: 95% of GAF has poor, unrefined overall taste (naturally). 1-2% of GAF has both great and wide taste. The only votes which matter in my book are from posters I like, with well supported lists. This whole process is just an excuse for me to gauge the taste of other posters and also let posters judge my taste for their own opinions. That and revel in the celebration of good games with lists I find agreeable.

Any "voter's choice" GotY seriously doesn't matter and NeoGAF is no exception. You'd have to have a very distorted outlook on the arts/entertainment to think it does.

If anything I'd like to see Dark Souls win because it would be unexpected. I could say the same thing for games I didn't like. Like Deus Ex: Human Revolution is not a very good game and isn't deserving a 15th spot let alone a 1st, but it would be an interesting win.

EDIT: In fact if I do the (non-)math in my head of lists that mattered to me the GotY of "GoodGAF" is either Hard Corps: Uprising, Akai Katana, or Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets. (I think my vote is the one that messes up the latter two lol. Completely unfair since I played neither.) None of which can possibly get higher than 20th place in the overall "NormalGAF" list.

I'm in the same boat as Rez. The best thing to come out of these threads are actually the similarity stats, last year I started paying more attention to several posters because of how closely our tastes aligned. Not that I exclusively pay attention to those posters of course, but if they recommend something I can feel confident in giving their opinion more weight than a random.

the best way to determine goty is to find a champion for each title in the top 10 voted for, and drop them all on an island. last one alive seizes GOTY for the game of their favor, but they must stay on the island for the rest of their lives and defend themselves to keep another from claiming victory for their game of choice. Good Posters™ can send them weapons or pray to the blood god of their choosing for protection in battle.

simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom