• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2011 - Voting Thread - Voting's Over, Folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tunic

I am looking forward to seeing the results. I am thinking Dark Souls is a very good sleeper so to speak too. I am so happy I was able to participate in this!

kswiston

I think that Skyrim will ultimately leave behind a good legacy. The PC version will sell forever, just as Oblivion and Morrowind have been doing. Modders and whatever DLC packs Bethesda releases will add quite a bit to the game, and a lot of the bitter PS3 people will either forget about it when shiny new consoles come out in a couple years, or buy the GOTY version on Steam for $5 during the 2014 Holiday sale.

I also think that Mass Effect 2 will pull a Zelda when the third game is released. In June everyone will be complaining about ME3 being garbage and how they wished things went back to the way they were in ME2.

I didn't vote because there are just too many games that I haven't had a chance to play yet, from last year, but just for the record, based on what I did play:

1. Dark Souls
2. The Witcher 2 (I'm currently playing this and am nearing the end of chapter 2, I believe. Incredible game so far but I don't know if an unfinished game is a legitimate pick)
3. Skyrim
4. Portal 2
5. Magicka - Best chaotic, coop since Left 4 Dead. Everyone should try this with a group of friends.
6. Gears of War 3
7. Mortal Kombat

When do we find out?

As soon as we're done preparing the results. There's a lot to go through, even with data collection automated.

I have seen the top rankings after merging all the different ways of typing the titles. There's one pair of games in the top 10 that's separated by only 4 points!

I've sent timetokill the results data thus far; he can post the results OP if/when he feels it's ready to go.

Majora

i was tracking the votes of Portal, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Dark Souls, Uncharted and Zelda until about two-thirds of the way through the thread, and at that point it went something like:

Portal 2>>>Skyrim>>>>>>>>>>>Deus Ex>Dark Souls>Uncharted 3>>Zelda

I think Portal 2 and Skyrim are a lock for 1st and 2nd respectively unless the voting dramatically changed, but it'll be interesting to see how the rest turned out, and how Batman did as well since I didn't track it.

Amir0x

Banned
i hope you're right Majora. Dark Souls losing to Uncharted 3 would have been an abomination on the GAF awards never recoverable!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
i hope you're right Majora. Dark Souls losing to Uncharted 3 would have been an abomination on the GAF awards never recoverable!

I haven't played Uncharted, but despite having put Dark Souls only at no. 10, I'd really like it to win. For me, in terms of having intensely focused game design successful executed, while also remaining a largely unique game, it is really unparalleled. Easily up there with the best Marios and Resident Evil 4 (and a handful of others) for purity of vision and absolute execution. I couldn't in good conscience vote it higher due to my lack of progress and its technical flaws, but damn it is a game I respect enormously.

Amir0x

Banned
I haven't played Uncharted, but despite having put Dark Souls only at no. 10, I'd really like it to win. For me, in terms of having intensely focused game design successful executed, while also remaining a largely unique game, it is really unparalleled. Easily up there with the best Marios and Resident Evil 4 (and a handful of others) for purity of vision and absolute execution. I couldn't in good conscience vote it higher due to my lack of progress and its technical flaws, but damn it is a game I respect enormously.

For me it wasn't very difficult. Very few other games this year channeled the type of truly hardcore rewarding experience I appreciate in games. Dark Souls obviously took the concept to its maxim and shamed other games which were designed by committee to appeal to the pussy set gamers who can't face challenge without whimpering in a corner about how unfair it is that they have the motor skills of a 98 year old crippled man.

That said, Dark Souls framerate is an abomination and almost ruined the top slot for me. I almost wanted to sit out altogether. I hope to god they release a SuperHD version on PS4 @ 60fps.

Durante

As soon as we're done preparing the results. There's a lot to go through, even with data collection automated.

I have seen the top rankings after merging all the different ways of typing the titles. There's one pair of games in the top 10 that's separated by only 4 points!

I've sent timetokill the results data thus far; he can post the results OP if/when he feels it's ready to go.
Will you release the data in a similar format to last time? I want to run my similarity script again.

Haunted

Eh, I think Portal 2 is a bit overhyped to be honest, and easier than the first game which is majorly disappointing.
I recently realised why I had such a hard time getting pumped for this year's GOTY. It's because this year was full of excellent sequels... which weren't quite as good as their predecessors.

Portal
Batman
Uncharted
Dead Space
Battlefield
Deus Ex
Forza
Gears of War
Modern Warfare

All sequels, all not as good as previous entries, yet [some] still among the best games to come out this year. That realisation somehow made it hard for me to actually get excited and really appreciative about these games. :/ Hence why I didn't write a proper GOTY post and just posted my list.

oh well

Durante

I actually agree with all of those, assuming that in the case of Deus Ex you don't mean to say that it's worse than it's direct predecessor.

At least Skyrim is a huge improvement over Oblivion in almost every way (and a general improvement over the whole series in some). And there are quite a few numbered sequels that are better than previous entries, like Witcher 2 and Saint's Row 3.

Massa

I recently realised why I had such a hard time getting pumped for this year's GOTY. It's because this year was full of excellent sequels... which weren't quite as good as their predecessors.

Portal
Batman
Uncharted
Dead Space
Battlefield
Deus Ex
Forza
Gears of War
Modern Warfare

All sequels, all not as good as previous entries, yet [some] still among the best games to come out this year. That realisation somehow made it hard for me to actually get excited and really appreciative about these games. :/ Hence why I didn't write a proper GOTY post and just posted my list.

oh well

I feel the exact same way about this year, which is why I only voted for one game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The whole experience was far more important to me than the puzzles. Athmosphere, characters, voice acting... It was superb.

I agree with this.

Intrepidly exploring the expanded world of Aperture Science supplanted the puzzles as the core element of the game, as ironic as that may sound. From the moment I awoke in the Relaxation Vault Long-Term Relaxation Chamber, I found myself captivated by the world like no game before it. My mind wasn't on the puzzles. I didn't care that the previous room took me all of two minutes to complete. "What do I do?" was never at the forefront of my mind; instead, I inquired about the environment that enveloped me: "What's happened to the facility?" "Where's GLaDOS?" "Why
is there a relatively ancient facility a million miles underground
?" "What became of
Cave Johnson and Caroline
?" Portal 2 was no longer a first-person puzzler - it was a first-person adventure with a heavy dose of mystery. I wasn't an unlucky "test subject" attempting to escape; I was a detective attempting to piece together a 15-acre enigmatic character arc.

Is Portal 2 the best game I've ever played? No - Super Metroid still occupies that throne. Did it provide the best experience I've ever had with a video game, however? Absolutely. I wish I could accurately describe the inordinate feeling of serenity that washed over me when Cara Mia marked the end of my journey. Almost a year later and it's still ineffable.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Haunted said:

My mind boggles at anyone who argues Asylum is better than Arkham City. Play them back to back. Its no contest, on any level.

Reuenthal

Banned

Portal
Batman
Uncharted
Dead Space
Battlefield
Deus Ex
Forza
Gears of War
Modern Warfare

oh well

Thankfully there is Witcher 2, the sequel which was superior to its predecessor.

Nert

Thankfully there is Witcher 2, the sequel which was superior to its predecessor.

I'd also say that Skyward Sword is better than Twilight Princess, Rayman Origins is better than... every other Rayman game (although I guess I haven't played all of those), and Skyrim is much better than Oblivion.

I agree with this.

Intrepidly exploring the expanded world of Aperture Science supplanted the puzzles as the core element of the game, as ironic as that may sound. From the moment I awoke in the Relaxation Vault, I found myself captivated by the world like no game before it. My mind wasn't on the puzzles. I didn't care that the previous room took me all of two minutes to complete. "What do I do?" was never at the forefront of my mind; instead, I inquired about the environment that enveloped me: "What's happened to the facility?" "Where's GLaDOS?" "Why
?" "What became of
?" Portal 2 was no longer a first-person puzzler - it was a first-person adventure with a heavy dose of mystery. I wasn't an unlucky "test subject" attempting to escape; I was a detective attempting to piece together a 15-acre enigmatic character arc.

Is Portal 2 the best game I've ever played? No - Super Metroid still occupies that throne. Did it provide the best experience I've ever had with a video game, however? Absolutely. I wish I could accurately describe the inordinate feeling of serenity that washed over me when Cara Mia marked the end of my journey. Almost a year later and it's still ineffable.
Excellent summation, JaseC. That's exactly how I felt. My mind wasn't on the puzzles for the latter half of the game, but rather
seeing if there would be a way to save Wheatley

Reuenthal

Banned
I'd also say that Skyward Sword is better than Twilight Princess, Rayman Origins is better than... every other Rayman game (although I guess I haven't played all of those), and Skyrim is much better than Oblivion.

While many might argue that Skyrim was superior than Oblivion at the time I played either, I considered Oblivion a good and satisfying experience and Skyrim a disappointing one although in some ways good too. Eventually, as it started more satisfying. Maybe if I replayed Oblivion today I would also think the same but despite Skyrim reluctantly being in my list due to me not playing too many 2011 games and it wasn't the most satisfying of experiences. I don't think it is a bad game and it did give me sufficient entertainment to enter my list until it became tiresome. Granted I played it just after finishing Fallout 3. Right now I am trying to get the too much Bethesda in my system away and detoxify myself despite rather liking Fallout 3. I just need a break from Bethesda games.

Skyrim has too many quests and content and its quests are also worse than Oblivion. And being the sequel to Oblivion means that problems with Oblivion that eventually became tiresome with it, are even more tiresome to someone who plays yet another Bethesda game for long hours. It is an improvement in some ways but not big enough and not in all ways, especially quests.

Haunted

I feel the exact same way about this year, which is why I only voted for one game.
Happy that it's just not me. :)
*nods*

I actually agree with all of those, assuming that in the case of Deus Ex you don't mean to say that it's worse than it's direct predecessor.

At least Skyrim is a huge improvement over Oblivion in almost every way (and a general improvement over the whole series in some). And there are quite a few numbered sequels that are better than previous entries, like Witcher 2 and Saint's Row 3.
Obviously talking about the original. It's kind of an unfair comparison since it's been so long, anyway.

And yes, I didn't mean to imply that every sequel was worse (hence those you mention and a couple others not appearing on my list of shame).

My mind boggles at anyone who argues Asylum is better than Arkham City. Play them back to back. Its no contest, on any level.
While both games are excellent, the second one changed the Metroidvania formula to a strictly separated open world -> linear level -> open world cycle that I didn't really care for, structurally.

okenny

Banned
I'm happy enough that Bethesda made a tremendous amount of money on Skyrim which will lock in the sequel but I just want to see them win everywhere possible to contrast the malcontent against them being one of the last devs to even make the types of games they make. I don't care how imperfect their games are, I just hope they keep striving to make them better as they have been. Whether they fight nostalgia or bugs or accusations of conspiracy, they can exist and be successful in spite the internet. Good luck to them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Haunted said:
While both games are excellent, the second one changed the Metroidvania formula to a strictly separated open world -> linear level -> open world cycle that I didn't really care for, structurally.

Once you have the traversal mechanics down its pretty interchangable. The city sections are just larger and more feature-rich iterations of the open courtyard areas of the asylum. And in fact have a much more Metroidvania-aspect to them thanks to the enlarged gadget set.

To be honest I'm a little suprised that Rocksteady elected to indicate that you are at x/400 Riddler trophies from the start, when the actuality is that you can only do subsets of them until you acquire certain pieces of gear/reach prescribed points in the game. Had they done that, I think it would have emphasised the Metroidvania aspect more.

Duffyside

Banned

In the moment maybe not, but when you take into consideration the impact each game had it's no contest that Asylum is better.

I mean, I'm a guy who didn't really like the first Portal but loved Portal 2, yet remembering how batshit crazy people were going for the first, when people say the first was better I sort of shrug and say "yeah, ok, I get that."

Most sequels are "better" than their predecessors, but that's not the point. For instance, if there were to be a second Rayman Origins and it was just the first game with one more level added on to it, that would technically be a "better" game than the first, both judged on their own in a time vacuum. But that's not the way it works.

Reuenthal

Banned
I think that Asylum's main game is better than City's but I prefer the challenges in City and I probably spend more time playing these than the main game. At the end I rate them about the same.

Apdiddy

I agree with this.

Intrepidly exploring the expanded world of Aperture Science supplanted the puzzles as the core element of the game, as ironic as that may sound. From the moment I awoke in the Relaxation Vault Long-Term Relaxation Chamber, I found myself captivated by the world like no game before it. My mind wasn't on the puzzles. I didn't care that the previous room took me all of two minutes to complete. "What do I do?" was never at the forefront of my mind; instead, I inquired about the environment that enveloped me: "What's happened to the facility?" "Where's GLaDOS?" "Why
?" "What became of

Thanks for summing up how I felt about Portal 2 as well. The thing I loved about Portal 2 is it told you its story in what you saw rather than being told in cutscenes. A lot of games would be a lot better if they took the same approach.

Next year people will realize Skyrim does not worth winning, just like Mass Effect 2 shouldn't win against Red Dead last year that people now seem to realize. Same goes with MGS4 over Mario Galaxy and Bioshock.

Well, there are certainly two sides to every argument, and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. I personally think Skyrim is the best game I've played this generation, and possibly forever. I'm about 60 hours in because I only get an hour or so per night to play it, but I'm just constantly finding new and fun things to do.

kswiston

MGS4 still deserves GOTY 2008 even today. And I mean that wholeheartedly.

Come at me.

I don't think I voted for 2008 GOTY, and without googling, I forget which titles came out that year. However, both Fallout 3 and Persona 4 (at least) would have been over MGS4 for me. MGS4 was not bad (ignoring the story), but it was a step down from the previous games in the series.

Derrick01

Banned
At this point I'll take anything as long as Dark Souls doesn't win. I'd like to have one year here where I can look at the result and just go "hmm...ok whatever" instead of just furiously shaking my head and wondering what the majority of you people were doing during voting time.

I saw lots of high Deus Ex votes. I'll be very pleased if that places top 3.

MGS4 still deserves GOTY 2008 even today. And I mean that wholeheartedly.

konami_metal_gear_solid_4_inline_617x347.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom