• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VepsoO

Neo Member
1. Life is Strange ; I couldn't do my list without playing this game first. After the first 5 minutes I knew I was gonna like the game. After the first 30 minutes I knew I was gonna love the game. I haven't felt so strongly about a game since playing KOTOR for over 12 years ago. Is it a perfect game? No, but it kept me hooked for 13-14 hrs, and I kept thinking about it for days afterwards. My only regret: That I didn't take a selfie before I started playing so I could go back and experience it all over again.

2. Rocket League ; It's still fun after 600 games. I'm not any good at all, but I don't care. I still play at least 1 match every day.

3. Cities: Skylines ; Yes someone finally made a good city builder!

4. Fallout 4 ; Could Bethesda do better? Absolutely. But for me it still gives me almost everything I want from such a game.

5. Renowned Explorers: International Society ; This game deserves so much more recognition. The art style and game mechanics fits so well together.

6. Dying Light

7. Rainbow Six: Siege

8. Zombie Army Trilogy

9. Volume

10. Mad Max

Fishook

1. Witcher 3 ; Best story driven RPG for years, Highly Recommend
2. Satellite Reign ; A really good updated version of Syndicate but shame it did not sell well.
3. Stasis ; Best atmostspheric Point and Click adventure for years.
4. Cities Skylines ; Best city builder for years.
5. Pillars of Eternity; Best RTWP, RPG for a number of years.

Honorable mentions go to;

Rebel Galaxy
Underail
Dying Light
Mordihiem : City of the Damned
Battlefront (As a Star Wars Fan)

cormack12

Gold Member
1. The Witcher 3 ; I struggled to get into this at release with various patches. However, I revisited it again a couple of weeks ago and I'm absolutely hooked. It's been a long time since I've repeatedly come in from work and stuck the same game in each night. I'm not even started on the real quests yet, I'm just exploring every blade of grass in each city. The world is dripping with atmosphere, I'm loving working out each of the games mechanics like the mutagens and skills, crafting and dismantling. It's really well balanced in terms of quests you can go and choose, PoI's etc. I like the way you don't quite know what it's going to be before you arrive. In other games it might be marked as a specific type of encounter, whereas here, it can be a place of power, a monster nest, an abandoned village etc. which means it doesn't really get tedious as it keeps an element of the unknown about it. I actually prefer the movement style it shipped with, I think it compliments the combat (which I admit is a little weird at first, but when you get used to it, timing and parrying is king. The way you can weave and slice is remarkable). Already spent a lot of time in this world doing 'nothing', more than actually completing other games.
2. Assassin Creed: Syndicate ; If Unity was the redux for fans, then this is the resurrection. I struggled to seperate 2 and 3 on this list. Unity was a showcase but it was a bit dull from what I played of it. I put it down to play this and I'm glad I did. Another great open world created by Ubi. Fantastic artwork and assets as usual. What impressed me the most was the improved stealth for one. I actually could believe I was an assassin again instead of some super counter attack arcade game. In terms of design, the sub-district contained in the world worked really well. This iteration really focused on fun and going back to the series roots. Unlike most, i liked both prtagonists and I kind of played them in their role. Jacob as the boisterous, misguided, ambitious roustabout; Evie the measured, ice-cold, purpose driven assassin. I enjoyed it way more. Although I sometimes thought (based on their skill trees), some of the missions were inaccurately assigned. Another world that I coul just walk round and soak in, there's only been 2/3 that I've ever done this in which tells me a few developers are maturing in their design and approach to this.
3. Bloodborne ; Really difficult to place this as 2 or 3, but I stewed on it a while and settled on the current order. The first part of the game within the city etc. is just fabulous. I felt it lost its cohesion around nightmare frontier though. It was a very big change. I get the metaphor, I just think this was a bit out of place. There were a couple of bosses that were frustrating, but I felt this was much more accessible, the controls much tighter and probably the best camera work to date (though still had room for improvement in some encounters). I know they like to obfuscate some of the lore, but I think it would be nice if they included at least some more exposition within the main questline, even picking up some small books instead of the cryptic notes would be appreciated. I couldn't help thinking as I was going through the city, that is what MercurySteam should have gone for with LoS2. I played it as an action game, had fun with it, but didn't really bother with DLC or a replay. Threaded cane needs to be an option in many more games though.
4. Life is Strange ; A surprise really. I bought episode 1 to try it out. By the end of it, I'd bought the remaining season pass. I thought the artwork was fantastic - where a lot of games still fall down is going for that ultra realistic look but slapping poor textures on top. I thought the art style was superb through the game. It was consistent and never tried to achieve things it struggled. The soundtrack was amazing and catapulted a lot of unknowns into must listen territory for fans who shared it using Spotify and Youtube. Just a really good example of how a lower budget game can become the sum of all its parts and complement the AAA market. Well done DONTNOD.
5. Arkham Knight ; I'll be honest, my last memory of City was cleaning up riddles and popping joker balloons. Aside from the Mr. Freeze fight, that is my overarching memory of AC, and I think it's one that got soured. So Arkham Knight was a welcome return after a long break. The batmobile was not a big issue for me. I felt it was the only way they could realistically have Batman go up against the more heavily armoured enemy vehicles. He already had great traversal with the batclaw and gliding. Some of the tank waves were a bit tedious towards the end though (in the side missions) and I wasnt a fan of chasing those vehicles to get missile hits on their back. I kind of like the combat in Batman. It's the type of game where you can probably just spam counter and button mash in 95% of encounters, but if you learn to take advantage of all his gadgets and combo's you can put together some amazing room clearances. Sometimes I felt they maybe packed some enemies too close together (mainly the electro brutes). Fear takedown was well overpowered though. I think I actually enjoyed all the side missions as well in this one. I didn't make the mistake of doing a Riddler clean up run, as I want to retain the memory of this being a good game.

1. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; the best entry ever in the best series ever, I played the game for hundreds of hours and there's still so much to do and a lot of fun to be had.
2. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; I enjoyed this game a lot more than the first Xenoblade, mostly because of the sidequests, these are a lot more interesting and fun in X, I also quite enjoyed the story, can't wait for the sequel.
3. Yo-kai Watch ; the best Level-5 game I have ever played for sure, it delivers in every aspect in a way Pokémon hasn't since Pokémon Crystal
4. Nintendo Badge Arcade ; I feel bad for having this game on my list in such a high spot but it's soooo good, what can I do?
5. Resident Evil Revelations 2 ; the campaign is not as good as the original, but still a great game and Raid Mode is always a time sucker, love it.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; maybe the best written game. A wonderful personal story set in a world I never wanted to leave. Full of beautiful, hideous, hilarious and depressing stories and scenes. A joy from start to finish; an all time great.
2. Journey ; I was unable to play this game earlier due to a lack of PS3 by the end of last generation. It was worth the wait. The incredible synergy of audio-visuals and control creates an emotional experience unlike any other. Online features are used to create meaningful connections with people. If I had to be critical, the soundtrack does a lot of heavy lifting, but it is a game that is more than just its technical specifications.
3. Life Is Strange ; A real surprise for me. I’m typically gameplay-oriented but this had a nice charm to it. The episodic structure gave it a nice punchy pace and the soundtrack was exceptional. I cannot wait to see what they do next.
4. Star Wars Battlefront ; I’m not a Star Wars fan but there is a seamlessness to the audio-visual presentation that makes this a very fun experience. The sound design is great, the visuals are beautiful and the game runs effortlessly. A special mention must go to the matchmaking. I appreciate that they keep the gameplay simple and not overburdened with a metagame.
5. Super Mario Maker ; just pure fun. I have to say that watching it is often as fun as actually playing it.
6. Kerbal Space Program ; A joyous achievement.
7. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege ; shockingly innovative and tactical. Ubisoft are a shit company broadly speaking but this is a real delight. rewards teamwork, tactics and patience.

1. Undertale ; The hot button game, as far as internet discussion goes. Everything about the community for this game is having a "Portal effect", where the humor and fans are being blown out of context and inciting hatred. I can only urge people to ignore that, and give one of the most interesting, honest, heartwarming, hilarious, entertaining games I've played in years, a try. (With the best OST in years to boot)

2. Bloodborne ; I love Souls. Bloodborne isn't perfect, and it's not my favorite game in the series, but it says something when I can complain about its faults for hours, and play it for 100s of hours more. The valleys have gotten better over time, and the Old Hunters DLC does so much to fix them, and let you appreciate the existing highs, and add more. Best Souls DLC for sure. Shoutouts to this OST too, holy shit.

3. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; I love the gameplay in Monster Hunter so, so much. The art, the music, the skill system, and hundreds of hours of content are just icing on the cake.

4. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition ; Alright, so DMC4 has huge glaring flaws, but it also has the best Character Action combat in a videogame. So special edition decides to give more of the good in the form of new characters and minor combat re-balance, and not really address the bad. Your opinion of this choice may vary, but I'm definitely gonna keep playing Vergil in Bloody Palace for years to come.

5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; So there's one game which may have been even more overblown in discussion than Undertale, and its this one. The missing content, the story, there's a lot to dislike. As far as I feel though? It's some of the best core gameplay in forever. I just can't be too upset about how bad the campaign missions are samey when I get the opportunity to just play more of the game. It's a shame it doesn't have real level design to compliment everything it does right, but in a world with MGS4 and PW, it hardly disappointed me.

6. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; In a lot of respects Witcher 3 is a better open world game, and game overall than MGSV, but it has inverse strengths.The W3 combat isn't the draw by any means, I'd almost go so far as to say the dialogue wheel is the core gameplay of the Witcher 3, and its better for it.

7. Pillars of Eternity ; I love Obsidian. I wish this game didn't play it so safe in terms of the gameplay and story, but it's hard to fault it for that.

8. Resident Evil Revelations 2 ; I'm not a huge RE fan, and I'm a latecomer, but Rev2 is a fantastic blend of the old mechanics and the new, which Rev 1 began, and was then infused with the best asymmetric co-op mechanics I've seen in a long, long time. Stellar ending to boot.

9. Downwell ; It's a roguelike, and it's $3. It's also deceptively simple in the best way, and has tight core gameplay that takes away my hesitations in liking games like Binding of Issac. Pair it with pretty style, a great value proposition, and combo based gameplay and I got plenty hooked. Definitely my favorite roguelike, (unless I crack Dwarf Fortress someday)

10. Life Is Strange ; I was always excited to play each episode of LiS the day it released, and it does things with its time travel and story that make Telltale look amatuerish in every after TWD S1. It's not perfect, many people feel its trying too hard, but I found it was self aware enough, and the story and progression and genuine consequences in the form of how people acted, were enough to keep me hella invested, even with a mediocre ending.

M.Steiner

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; CDPR have set a new standard for RPGs and storytelling with TW3, imo. Beautiful written, hugely detailed & interesting gameworld, *real* and believable characters and a game which made me feel things I've never really felt in a game before. This will not only go down as my GOTY for 2015 but one of my favourite games of all time too. I've already spent over 170hrs with it but still can't wait to get back in there for Blood & Wine. An amazing achievement. (I'm including Hearts of Stone here too rather than voting for it separately)

2. Bloodborne ; This served as my introduction to FromSoftware and was easily the biggest surprise of the year for me. I've already played through it a second time with NG+ (which is rare for me to do so soon) along with the DLC on day one. Amazing art direction & monster design, incredible combat and ultimately challenging, addictive, rewarding and satisfying. Have since played and LOVED Dark Souls (which sat in my backlog for a long, long time) and will be getting Dark Souls 3 day one as well. I can fully understand why people love those games so much now, as now so do I. Just brilliant.

3. Tales From The Borderlands ; I like the Borderlands games but #1, I've never really been a huge fan of them and #2, I really wasn't sure how they would blend with a Telltale game. Reality? This is arguably their best game yet. Great story & humour, touching, really likable characters and a fantastic soundtrack too (especially those intros!). I really, really loved this and was sad when it was over. They better make a season 2!

4. Until Dawn ; Loved how they handled player choice & consequences in this game, like literally life & death for every single character but you weren't always sure! Great setting, incredibly atmospheric and very tense.

5. Life Is Strange ; Whilst I was admittedly very disappointed with the finale, this was still one of the most emotionally engaging games I've played with characters I was invested in and cared about. Great story (touching some pretty mature subjects), cool twists (although some were a little too predictable) and a really good soundtrack too. Like TW3, this evoked many emotions in me which a lot of games don't manage to do.

6. Cities: Skylines ; SimCity was one of my fav ever series for many years but after SimCity (2013) I was afraid these games were gone for good, then along comes Cities: Skylines. The best city builder in years and a worthy successor to SimCity 4 (dare I say, even better?), this'll be a game I continue to go back to for years to come, or until Colossal Order's next release if they go on to carry the torch.

7. Ori and the Blind Forest ; This was one of the games I instantly fell in love with from the moment I first saw it. Absolutely beautiful game from its art to its music and really fun to play too.

8. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; Victorian London was one of the settings I've most looked forward in AC so was really happy this didn't disappoint. Loved the chemistry & banter between Evie & Jacob, decent story, combat & progression. By no means was it the best AC yet but a very solid one. Glad I didn't skip it.

9. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture ; I can understand why this type of game wouldn't appeal to everyone but I thought it was a really unique & interesting way to tell a story and have you get to know its characters. Really beautiful word to explore too I found, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

10. SOMA ; Amazing story and really well told, even if I didn't find it particularly scary.

Dez_

Hope I got the formatting right.

1. Undertale; I don't think I've ever been more genuinely surprised at a game coming out of nowhere that I enjoyed this much in a really long time. There's a good reason people have been quite high on this game. It has excellent music, an amazing cast of unique and likable characters, a fairly interesting story that has layers to it if you choose to delve deeper. The thing that made it stand out was how it took my expectations of general JRPG tropes and mechanics and turned them on their head in very interesting ways. It starts off a little slow, and while I was enjoying it from the beginning, it wasn't until the middle portions of the game where things really started to take off for me. This game is really something special, and I'm really interested to see what Toby Fox can do next.

2. Bloodborne; Taking some of the more creepy moments from other Souls games and really hammering down on the horror aesthetic, this game just perfectly encapsulates such an amazingly interesting, yet suffocating atmosphere that I simply loved to explore. Expect the same addictive and engaging Souls-like combat with some unique twists to give this title more fast paced and thrilling encounters. No shields, more stamina and quick dashes keep the combat moving quickly and fluidly to make this one of the more exciting (and creepy) I've played this year. Dripping with atmosphere and tons of style, this is PS4 exclusive is highly recommended for any Souls or action fans.

3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain; I will admit, this game disappointment me on multiple levels. All the talks about the story coming full circle and linking to other stuff were pretty much non existent, and this title works much better as a stand alone story than anything else. Then, there's also the fact that this game is somewhat incomplete and that there was supposed to be more towards the end of the game. I'm not forgetting about
Konami's slow change into adding more micro transactions into their main game to encourage players to spend more money. Yet, despite all of that, if there's one thing that was so perfectly crafted in this game, it's how fantastically fluid the gameplay feels. This is a title that is really pure fun to play and experiment, and offers situations that lead to so many exciting and improvisational moments, that it's hard not take in and enjoy. Missions, while structurally similar offer so many different ways to tackle them that it's really enjoyable just to talk about the interactions other players had in the world and how they were handled. A little bit more, and this might have been my favorite game of the year, but it falls slightly short of that, and is instead an excellent game that's very much worth playing. Just don't expect much in the way of story walking in.

4. Destiny: The Taken King; One year later after, to me, felt like a very tepid launch, I've come back to Destiny and there have been some improvements. Maybe it's because I really haven't played an FPS quite like this or Halo in such a long time, but good god this game is so much fun to play, and even more so when playing with other people. The game actually has a serviceable campaign, the King's Fall raid is incredible and well done, and there have been a number of quality of life improvements across the board. That isn't to say there aren't any issues, since things still get quite grindy and rewards are frustratingly limited at times. The core gameplay is just super fun to play, and I'm pretty much on board from here on out to see what else they've got in store for Destiny and its future.

5. The Witcher 3; It's pretty incredible what CD Projekt Red was able to do with this game. One of the most expansive and interesting game worlds I've played all year. Some really well crafted stories and side missions that you can get lost for dozens of hours at a time, and while there are moments that tend to drag on (Dandelion quests), this is a very well done package over all. This is the most fun I've had playing a Witcher game, playing
all three of these, though I do wish there was a sort of escalation with the combat that would make it more engaging.

6. Call of Duty: Black Ops III; Pretty much playing this for the multiplayer. There's so much stuffed into the disc, but I'm actually really impressed with how much fun I've been having with the multiplayer and how surprisingly balanced it feels, given all the different perks, classes and weapons. It's simply fun to hop in and shoot stuff in this game.

7. Soma; This one didn't hook me gameplay-wise. I stayed for the story and the setting. These type of science fiction settings might have already been done before, but I find it an interesting subject to tackle when it comes to the human mind and what it means when combined with technology. Saying more would delve into spoiler territory, but suffice to say, this game stayed with me long after I finished the game. A very interesting title.

8. Until Dawn; Here's an interactive game that I feel does a better job that some earlier attempts done with other developers. Fully embracing its horror tropes, the game does a great job creating a totally tense setting over the course of this game and your choices made will determine who lives and who dies. Killer on the lose, somewhere in a cabin in the woods? You might have seen this stuff all before, but it's thrilling to be able to
play these outcomes out. How good are you at making the right choices? I found this game to be a pretty social game, and thought it was much more fun to play with an audience having some input. A good way to get your SO to join you for a game.

9. Hotline Miami 2; I don't think I ever understood what was going on with this game story-wise, but I do know that I was enjoying the fast-paced violence with the incredible soundtrack setting the stage. I feel this does go a bit too far in the difficult direction, probably intended for the hard core fans of the first game. It really felt like it picked the difficulty from the end of the last game and continued on from there. Yet, I persevered, because I found everything so fascinating to unfold. This also gets a vote for one of the few game that got me to the music played in this game. It's seriously amazing to listen to.

Oh man, turns out making lists is still fun (and hard), even in this, The Year Of Our Lord Twenty-Hundred And Sixteen! It was the strongest year for games in recent memory, and I was able to play a whole bunch of 'em. Stealth-action, hacking-action, action-action, programming, bizarre humor, bizarre-r adventures - this year had everything. Here are the ones that resonated the most with me, for various reasons. The platform(s) I played on are in brackets.
Good list. Makes me want to try a bunch of these.

alexbull_uk

1. Life is Strange ; Well written, brilliantly acted, and genuinely touching. The one gaming experience I had in 2015 that I know I won't forget.
2. Fallout 4 ; A massive game that is just plain fun to play. Massively improved mechanics and an addictive settlement building mode means this will be a game I play well into 2016.
3. Halo 5 ; Mechanically fantastic and with an interesting (albeit short) story, Halo 5 is a return to form.
4. Yoshi's Wooly World ; Adorable to look at, challenging to play. A great mix of beautiful visuals and polished gameplay make Wooly World my favourite platformer of 2015.
5. Super Mario Maker ; Scratches that creative itch perfectly. A simple set of tools that lets you create full fledged Mario levels, plus more levels available to play than ever before.
7. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; An improvement over the first in every way. Looks fantastic, plays well, and has an interesting story.
8. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; There's not a whole lot to be said about the ND Collection. It's Uncharted, yet more beautiful and smoother to play. Must have for any PS4 owner.

Dynasty8

1. The Witcher 3 ; It had the best open world, best story, best music, best characters, and overall best scope I've seen in a long time. Truly deserves the top spot. Spent a hundred hours and it was well worth it. A true masterpiece.

2. Bloodborne ; Challenging, fun, and polished. Most games sadly don't achieve that nowadays. Even though I prefer the Souls games more, Bloodborne was fantastic in every regard.

3. Fallout 4 ; This game came out of nowhere. The world was beautiful and fun to explore.My only complaint was that the engine Bethesda used is really starting to show its age. Still in my top 3 for everything it has done.

1. Undertale ; Undertale is weird. Undertale is charming. Undertale is beautiful. It has the best ensemble cast of the year, with the lovable goofball Papyrus at the top of that list for me. It has the most powerful original soundtrack of the year, expertly interweaving itself into all aspects of the game’s presentation, regardless of tone. Its music manages to be equal parts uplifting, melancholic, exciting, relaxing, and haunting. And it has a very heartfelt and human story, one that affected me far more than I expected. To talk anymore about the particulars of Undertale would be a disservice, so I’ll simply say this: put aside any preconceived notions about Undertale or its passionate fanbase, and try and play it. It’s an unforgettable experience, one that subverts most, if not all, of your expectations going into it, and it’s my Game of the Year for 2015.

2. Bloodborne ; From top to bottom, I adore nearly every aspect of Bloodborne’s design. I love the fluidity of its combat, which actively encourages you to abandon the defensive nature you clung to in the Souls games, dash towards the enemy, and take the offensive in order to recover lost health. I love the animation of its incredibly-stylish trick weapons and their near unrivaled utility compared to weapons from other games. I love the setting of Yharnam, with its Gothic architecture, shadow-soaked streets, and oppressive atmosphere that’s positively dripping with dread. I love the interconnected nature of its world, with sudden twists and turns giving way to helpful shortcuts back to the familiar, hearkening back to Dark Souls’ masterful design. I love the often dark, intentionally obfuscated lore behind every person, place, and item in Yharnam, and how the game’s story and grotesque creature designs draw inspiration from not only the best European horror folktales, but also from the works of H.P. Lovecraft (who, sadly, sucks as a person). And most of all, I love how the fear and trepidation you, as the player, feel when you first enter a new location or confront a new boss slowly gives way to skill, confidence, and mastery over time. If I had to acknowledge any flaws, I’d immediately point to the occasional need for first-time players to farm blood vials. I’m also of the opinion that the game could do without half of the Chalice Dungeons on offer. By the time the player feels confident enough to tackle those optional, randomly-generated dungeons, most of the earlier ones are far too easy to be worth one’s time. But yeah, if were just talking about which game’s mechanics I enjoyed engaging with the most in 2015, then Bloodborne would easily top my list. That said, the fact of the matter is Bloodborne is the fourth game in this vein by From Software, and for as much as I love it, there’s another game from 2015 that I love equally as much and is far more deserving of gaming’s highest honor.

3. Splatoon ; Splatoon isn’t just the best multiplayer shooter I’ve played in years, it’s my current favorite game on the Wii U. It’s creative, it’s colorful, it’s stylish -- it’s got an incredibly distinctive, cohesive style that permeates all aspects of the game’s design, from the characters to the weapons to the catchy original soundtrack to the pun-tastic writing. Its also got a surprisingly enjoyable single-player mode complete with the most well-designed final boss encounter I’ve seen from Nintendo since The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. But more so than everything, the core gameplay loop of Splatoon is just incredibly satisfying to engage with. I’d also like to take this opportunity to highlight Nintendo’s exemplary post-release support for Splatoon. Their level of long-term support is simply unprecedented in the console shooter space and its a huge part of why I kept coming back to Splatoon in 2015. In an era where most multiplayer shooters fizzle out in popularity within two months after launch, Nintendo managed to keep and cultivate a thriving, active player base with Splatoon, and for that, they should definitely be commended.

4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; This might sound a tad hyperbolic, but I think The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt might have the best side quest writing I’ve ever encountered in a video game. Usually in western RPGs this massive, I inevitably give up on absorbing all of the game’s content 50+ hours in, look up the must-see quests and storylines online, and just do those before completing the principal narrative. I naturally grow less interested in a game’s world over time, and well, I’ve just never been the type to stick to one game for very long. However, this simply wasn’t the case with The Witcher 3: even though I bought the game at launch back in May, I don’t think I finished the game’s main story until October because I took my time tracking down and completing every piece of story content in the game before then. I didn’t do this for some achievement or just to be completionist, but because I was legitimately impressed by the quality of writing across all of the game’s side quests. Even when the gameplay basically amounted to Geralt talking to some villager, activating his “Witcher sense” to follow some footprints, and then killing some fantastical monster for the umpteenth time, I was continuously surprised by the amount of effort CD Projekt Red put into the storytelling and presentation of each quest. Practically every quest line in the game (and there’s probably close to one hundred of them, all told) has a unique human story at the heart of it with fantastic voice acting, well-written dialogue, and an interesting enough hook to make me want to see it through. I really like The Witcher 3, but it’s not my Game of the Year for a few reasons, the two major ones being: 1) the combat really is quite serviceable at best, with the radial menu for switching signs and bombs being somewhat clunky, 2) the skill system is overly restrictive and boring, often leading to this feeling where leveling up doesn’t matter most of the time, outside of being able to equip better gear.

5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain redefines the possibilities of open-world video games. In many ways, there’s never been an open-world more ambitious with as many interlocking gameplay systems as this one. There are so many countless ways to approach every different situation in the game that it boggles the mind, and it actively encourages you to switch between infiltration methods, empowering the player with responsive controls and a robust tool set that facilitates experimentation and spontaneity. It’s the type of game that you play wishing you had an audience with you, as it’s constantly producing an endless series of moments you just want to tell other people about. My problem with the game? While The Phantom Pain irrefutably possesses the best gameplay in the series to date, it’s ultimately marred by an unfinished, largely uneventful narrative that lacks much of the personality that made earlier Metal Gear games so special. Gone are the memorable boss fights. The deliberately outrageous cutscenes have been kept to a minimum. The characters of Big Boss and Revolver Ocelot, two of my personal favorites in the series, are comparatively dull and uninteresting compared to their former selves (the former for more justifiable reasons the latter, but all the same). Instead, we were given a paper thin story about phantoms chasing after phantoms, which may indeed work thematically, but is no less disappointing. More egregiously, the worst of the game’s problems is its problematic treatment of its most interesting new character: the sniper, Quiet. I might be willing to look past the childish character design, the ridiculous background story, and maybe even dismiss the infamous rain scene as frivolous, but the attempted rape scene and the embarrassing camera angles in the helicopter? You can fuck off with that shit, Kojima. It’s all especially frustrating given how noble and likable the actual character of Quiet is. All of the principal characters, whether they trust her or not, have the utmost respect for her as a soldier and it’s upsetting that so much of the game manages to undermine that respect.

6. Rocket League ; While it’s not as mechanically dense as Invisible, Inc., Rocket League is probably equally perfect in its design. Except in Rocket League’s case, you can’t even knock it for its lack of mission variety or for having a weak story. It doesn’t really have or need any of those elements. In fact, if developer Psyonix ever felt compelled to add anything to the mechanics of the game -- in say, a sequel -- I’d actually be afraid for them ruining the perfect balance they’ve struck between accessibility and depth with this game. It plays great, it looks great, it sounds great, it’s endlessly satisfying to play with others, it was free for PlayStation Plus members its month of release -- there’s a lot to love about Rocket League. The only reason why this game isn’t higher on my personal Top 10 list is because I found the five games above it to either be more interesting, more affecting, or simply more to my taste. But with that said, I suspect I’ll be playing Rocket League longer than just about every game on this list. I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m still playing it years from now, provided they don’t release a flashier sequel with the same bells and whistles.

7. Invisible, Inc. ; From Klei Entertainment, makers of Don’t Starve and modern 2D stealth classic Mark of the Ninja, Invisible, Inc. is the closest thing you’ll find to a mechanically perfect game on this list. From its stealth and hacking mechanics, to its character progression system, to its in-game economy, to its randomly-generated level design, to its time-sensitive turn-based missions that force you to employ the right mix of daring, planning, and improvisation if you don’t want them to get harder -- each of its systems are so tightly interdependent on one another that it can only be described as harmonious. If were were just talking about the mechanics, there isn’t a single thing I would change about Invisible, Inc. It even has several difficulty levels and a plethora of customization options, letting the player tweak every individual element of the experience to their liking. And to top it off, it’s incredibly stylish too, filled with well-animated characters doing cool spy shit like taking cover against walls, hacking computers, and taking out security guards with balletic proficiency. While its art design might differ from all of their previous games, the animation work is still decidedly Klei. To be perfectly frank, one of the only reasons this game doesn’t come in at any higher on my list is because, even with the DLC installed (which adds several new agents, hacking abilities, items, and extends the game time), it still comes up feeling a little thin on content. I’ve run through the game several times with different agent combinations on multiple difficulties, and I’m already finding the lack of mission and enemy variety to be slightly disappointing. But for its asking cost, Invisible, Inc. is more than worth it for anyone that likes XCOM, roguelikes, or stealth games.

8. Until Dawn ; It was a strong year for choice-based interactive narrative games. At the top of the pack in 2015 was Supermassive Games’ interactive horror title Until Dawn, a game that confidently executes on the David Cage school of interactive video game drama better than David Cage ever has. An ode to the B-movie teen slasher films of the 80s and 90s, Until Dawn deals in all the tropes expected of the genre. It makes no attempt to hide its deep love for films like I Know What You Did Last Summer, Scream, Friday the 13th, and even more contemporary films like SAW, but it’s that commitment to the cliches and themes of the genre that’s part of Until Dawn’s charm. It lures you in with one of the most familiar set-ups in all of cinema, only to give you the power to subvert those expectations however you like, or not at all. By the end of my first experience with Until Dawn, I desperately wanted to play through it again and make all the right decisions to ensure its teenagers survived. I scoured the game’s environment for clues, I gave each of my choices careful consideration, and I went out of my way to track down most of the game’s “death totem” collectibles, which provide the player with helpful premonitions of death, so as to avoid making those mistakes. While I left Until Dawn slightly disappointed by the inconsistent frame rate and how unmalleable some of its story beats were, I still think its an unexpected, crowning achievement for the genre. If you’ve got access to a PlayStation 4, call some friends over, make some popcorn, turn off the lights, and treat it like a (six hour) movie night.

9. Tales from the Borderlands ; I was so wrong to doubt this game. It manages to be genuinely funny in a medium where that is no easy feat, working not only as a standalone comedy, but as a great parody of Telltale’s previous work (the use of those “So and so will remember this” tool tips is great). It features what is easily my second favorite ensemble cast of the year: each and every character is so charming and likable in their own way, thanks in no small part to fantastic performances from some of the most accomplished voice actors in the business (most notably: Laura Bailey, Troy Baker, Nolan North, Ashley Johnson, and PATRICK WARBURTON). The dual protagonist approach works surprisingly well, too. It’s a joy to see how their stories contradict and intermingle with one another, though I wish Telltale hadn’t funneled them down the same story route as soon as they did. I also love how the entire story is framed as an extended flashback, with 90% of the story building up to how the two player characters found themselves in the predicament they’re in at the beginning of the first episode. And well, I’ve already talked about how amazing the opening credits are to each episode. I randomly find myself just re-watching them on YouTube from time to time -- they are so damn good. If I had to find one major knock against it, it’s that most of your choices only really amount to a slightly different final battle sequence in episode 5. More so than any other Telltale game that I’ve played before it, it feels like there’s very little actual “game” here. It’s arguably too linear, and most of the time, it really does feel like you’re just along for the ride. But believe me -- it’s one ride worth catching.

10. Life is Strange ; On more than one occasion during my time with Life is Strange I recall thinking that developer Dontnod Entertainment were in over their heads. Emulating Telltale’s successful episodic formula was one thing, but bringing together a game that draws inspiration from cult classics like Donnie Darko and Veronica Mars to tell a story about time travel and the life of the American teenager? That’s no small task for any developer, and make no mistake: Life is Strange stumbles quite a bit on the way to its conclusion. The dialogue between characters ranges from fun and playful to cringeworthy and robotic. The story is often heavy-handed with its messages and themes. And while the game does a decent job foreshadowing and setting up its final choice, only one of the game’s two endings feels fleshed out or at all satisfying But for all it gets wrong, I still admire it for what it gets right. The core mechanic of rewinding time is fun. It does a great job at making you feel like your choices actually matter (even when they sometimes don’t). It’s all rendered in this gorgeous, almost painterly art style, complimented by a fantastic lighting engine. Its got a well-curated, licensed soundtrack that would be right at home in an indie film festival. It manages to make hunting for collectibles fun. The story is centered around the friendship between two women, something you just don’t see enough of in this medium. It has some genuinely shocking plot twists. And despite its self-serious tone, it knows when to poke fun at itself and acknowledge its own flaws. So, yes, it might stumble with its execution at times, but I wholeheartedly believe Max Caulfield’s week-long journey through time and space in Arcadia Bay is one well worth experiencing -- even if I generally think her best friend Chloe Price sucks (god she’s the worst at times). If you’re a fan of choice-based interactive narratives like Telltale’s work, you definitely should give it a shot. Who knows? You might like it even more than I did.

F-Pina

1. Bloodborne ; The best of the best. Awesome experience with awesome gameplay mechanics.
2. Fallout 4 ; I love it. Great idea to turn it into this crazy sandbox where you can build the settlements and rule the wasteland. Loved it!
3. Transformers: Devastation ; Out of nowhere! Platinum games doing what it does best! Plus the original cast from the OG series? DUDE!
4. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Such a lovely game. Great gameplay, great graphics. Full of heart.
5. TowerFall Ascension ; Best couch multiplayer of the last 4 years.
6. Helldivers ; 2nd best couch multiplayer of the last 4 years.
7. The Order: 1886 ; Screw the haters. Loved it.
8. Driveclub Bikes ; The best driving game of this generation continues to get support from the developers, and now it has bikes! BIKES!
9. Alphabear ; Still the best game on my iPhone.
10. Broken Age: The Complete Adventure ; Didn't have the chance to play this before. Really liked it. More Tim Shafer adventure games please!

Honorable Mentions
x. Star Wars Battlefront ; Prettiest game of the year.
x. Super Mario Maker ; Best construction tool kit of the year.

SugarDave

I didn't play too many games this year so I don't have a full list, but here's what I got.

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; One of the best games I have ever played. I love it so much that I could go on to write an essay. I had been anticipating its release for the last few years and CD Projekt RED delivered on just about everything I expected and hoped for. It was a rewarding experience after the time I invested in both the novels and previous games, and I can now say with confidence it is one of my favourite fictional worlds ever. The Witcher III does so much right that I personally found the negatives easy to look past. The writing is so strong that I can't rightly say there is a game more appropriately rated Mature than this one, and not simply because the developers aren't afraid to show breasts. Its soundtrack (seriously, just sit and listen to it in full), art direction, visual and sound design, atmosphere, combat, lore, world, characters, attention to detail... I just loved it all so goddamn much! The first sentence of this little review is all that really needed to be said but sometimes you just have to express your love for something that made you so happy. Thank you CD Projekt RED.

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; I spent 150 hours with The Phantom Pain in a short amount of time and there's a damn good reason why, I don't think I've ever played a game that feels as good as this to handle. I have several gripes with MGSV, enough so that I should probably be swapping its position with Bloodborne, but I can't deny that the heights it hit for me personally went beyond what Bloodborne was able to and for that I have to give it credit. I said this game feels good to handle and it's true, the controls are sublime and the way that Snake animates and reacts to your inputs created a connection to the game's world that I don't think I've ever felt before. It sounds strange to explain but to put it simply, it just means that MGSV is a joy to play at all times. The gameplay has never been better than this in the whole series and allows for a level of creativity that most games just don't, I've never had more fun taking a stealth approach in games. I don't want to focus too much on the Konami situation but I need to applaud Kojima Productions for what they accomplished here under what were obviously less than ideal working conditions.

3. Bloodborne ; I bought a PS4 just to play this game and thankfully I didn't regret that decision after completing it. The combat, level design, art direction and atmosphere are best in class and I was hooked for the entirety of my time with it. When I wasn't playing it, I was thinking about it. The story took an unexpected turn which I ended up loving and piecing together as much as I could about the world was just as satisfying as it was in Dark Souls. Even without that, the core gameplay was enough to keep me going and the sense of accomplishment after overcoming the odds is unparalleled by other games. Bloodborne is also special in that it's a game that I didn't feel like I was finished with after my last prey was slaughtered, discussions about combat tactics and the convoluted story keep the game going even after the disc has left the tray. Me and my brother had a good time sharing our experiences as we played through it and I feel it deserves recognition for that.

4. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number ; Hotline Miami was a huge surprise that came out of nowhere for me back in 2012 so I was hugely excited for this sequel, and it didn't disappoint. The concept hasn't changed but Dennaton's ambition definitely grew and that is evident in the scope of this game. There are a lot of scenarios to play through and the story was more intricate in a way I didn't expect, not enough can be said by just how incredible the soundtrack is and the laser-focused borderline psychopathic blood rage you find yourself thrown into while slaughtering your way through the stages is still present... or maybe that's just me. So much style.

5. Star Wars Battlefront ; STAR WARS. Unsurprisingly, 2015 marked the year where I remembered just how much I freaking love STAR WARS, so the chance to jump into a game that replicated the look, sound and feel of that galaxy so well was a welcome one. There is much to be said about the lack of content in this game and I don't disagree with those criticisms, but I had an absolute blast (and continue to) with what is offered here. It's a technical masterpiece and I appreciated the decision to make the game something that is easy to jump in and out of. I love my "hardcore" multiplayer shooters too, but sometimes I just want to feel like a child and fly a TIE.

6. Rocket League ; A game that is fantastically simple and endlessly replayable. Its ranking is slightly held back by the fact that I never got around to playing it with friends, which I imagine is where it truly shines. However, I enjoyed the time I did spend with it immensely and will definitely return for more periodically. Much like with games such as Geometry Wars, this is a great time in both bite-sized chunks and multiple hour binges.

7. Grand Theft Auto V ; I played through the game at its initial launch in 2013 and enjoyed it very much. This is of course the same game but the improvements that the PC platform enabled make the experience better. The game looks great and runs smooth, this release also marked my first foray into the GTA Online Heists which were a lot of fun.

8. Hotline Miami 2 ; Very hard, very solid, very much more of the same. I can't say I was thrilled with most of the soundtrack having been part of my music collection for years but it fit well into the game and slaughtering fools sure does add a nice new dimension to your old music.

5. Hotline Miami 2 ; Very hard, very solid, very much more of the same. I can't say I was thrilled with most of the soundtrack having been part of my music collection for years but it fit well into the game and slaughtering fools sure does add a nice new dimension to your old music.

Plagiarism among us

this dude said "shit...I gotta write descriptions for these mothafuckas? Shid if I do it...bout to copy and paste some of the lines and call it a day fam"

Molemitts

1. Undertale ; Undertale came out of nowhere, for me. Suddenly everyone was talking about it so I decided to try it for myself. The game started off as a normal RPG with a slight twist in its bullet hell like battle system. This was enough to keep me interested through its okay first area, but as I played more and got further I discovered so much that just stuck with me. The incredible writing and characters, who are hilarious, genuine and very interesting. The way it manipulates the UI and battle system to create unique situations of gameplay that are both fun and can tell a story is something I’ve really never seen done so well before. It subverts the JRPG genre tropes by actually using them in a meaningful way, the importance of friendship trope isn’t just there because it’s an RPG, it’s there because of important actions you may have taken in the story. Most enemies bring in a new twist to the bullet hell battle system, which manages to make the combat remain interesting for the game and not become a slog as many turn based RPGs do. Trying to find the method to spare enemies can be a very interesting sort of puzzle too. How it incorporates almost every element of the game into working together to tell a story is genius and the kind of thing that you don’t see often but really sets a game apart.

Undertale stands out as one of the most memorable games I’ve ever played.

2. Bloodborne ; Bloodborne was my most anticipated game of 2015 and it met my expectations. As a huge fan of Dark Souls and Miyazaki I pretty much purchased a PS4 for Bloodborne. The game is a familiar formula I love, with a fresh spattering of bloody paint. The combat is faster and while some prefer this, I do enjoy Dark Soul’s slower more methodical combat only slightly. This game’s setting took me on a wild trip. With gothic architecture immediately capturing my interest, before I started to feel the lack of environmental variety compared to it’s predecessors. It does pick up on this eventually and I felt satisfied by the variety in the places to explore.

Where Bloodborne stands out the most to me is it’s amazing transition to lovecraftian horror, the gothic horror can stand on its own for a while, but it does tend to feel cliché in it own right. The switch to cosmic horror stands as a nice twist in both the story, lore and gameplay and expands on an intriguing setting. With the use of indirect and environmental storytelling really suiting the mind bending Lovecraft themes.

3. Splatoon ; When Splatoon was first announced it immediately intrigued me. The funky artstyle, the fresh turf painting concept and the rad character/clothing design kept me interested. But I was cautious, it was a new Nintendo IP, we have a habit of forgetting about those new Nintendo IPs that don’t turn out so great. It’s good news, then, that people are still talking about Splatoon, because it’s brilliant. Splatoon taps into that “way past cool,” 90s, Sonic/TNMT, aesthetic that I either ironically or unironically love and I haven’t worked out which yet. The fresh take on the shooter concept is totally tubular. Many of the thing I loved about Rocket League also apply to Splatoon. I’m also really good at it, which helps a lot. It’s satisfying, it’s fun, it’s rad as fuck. Most of the downsides come from those very Nintendoish problems, none of which hold back the game in a major way, for me. I’m actually finding it hard to explain why I like Splatoon so much, so just trust me when I say it’s good.

4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; This year I played through Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3 and 4 for the first time ever. I enjoyed the series much more than I expected to, as I was kind of “meh” on stealth and I’m not a fan of cutscene heavy games at all. Metal Gear Solid 3 was my favourite of the bunch so I was excited to see Big Boss’ story continue.

Well, I know a lot of people on GAF were disappointed by V. I can understand why, I see it as a very flawed game myself, but I still enjoyed it a lot. I’d put it ahead of MGS1 and 4, for sure. The gameplay systems are great, they’re responsive and open ended, I’m just repeating the same praise that has been lumped on them by everyone else, but I think it’s deserved. Now while the gameplay is great, and it’s probably great enough to sustain a 60 hour game, the game didn’t take it through enough unique situations to sustain a 60 hour game. This mean that the game was too long, not only because it repeated itself, but because many of the missions felt too similar. This also lead to the story being stretched out over a longer game, which many had a problem with. This isn’t so much of an issue with me as the unfinished ending, which feels completely detached from the game, is.

Enough negativity, because I genuinely enjoyed MGSV. It was fun the discover and explore an open world under a stealth context, the various interacting system created so many unique scenarios, that could be both funny and incredibly tense, at the same time. It’s fun (most of the time.)

5. Rocket League ; Rocket League was a game that appeared out of nowhere yet I came to enjoy greatly. Its easy to learn, hard to master style of online play makes it the perfect kind of competitive game for me. Every action is satisfying, they nailed the game feel. Every thud of hitting the ball feels so right and scoring a goal feels like nothing else. The rules are universal, even if you never played or watched football/soccer (I sure don’t) you can easily get into it. Just drive around and get the ball into the goal. This makes the game immediately understandable, but there’s various layers of depth upon that. The rocket boost, team work and various tricks you can pull off makes sure there’s a strong competitive angle, while still being very fun for less skilled players. Even when you’re losing you’re having fun.

Rocket League is basically the online game that I’ve always wanted. Competitive, yet easy to understand, fun with friends and with randos and amazingly satisfying. The only reason Rocket League isn’t higher is because I, unfortunately, haven’t had the opportunity to play it much. I have it on PS4 and don’t have PSN very often. I want to play more and I’m sure I will in the future.

Honorable Mentions

x. Cities: Skylines ; I got this in the Steam christmas sales and binged just under 30 hours of it, in about a week. It’s great fun, but I feel like I’m still playing it and I’m starting to get a bit bored with it lately.

x. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; I completed this game for the first time this year. I loved it when I first played it years ago, but this year it solidifies as one of my favourite games of all time. It’s the only Zelda game I’ve completed 100%. I’ve not included it because it’s a remake.

x. Prison Architect ; Another brilliant game with so much depth to it, but I feel like I haven’t played anywhere near enough of it to place it on my list.

(I can have honorable mentions if I only have 5 on my list, right?)

kamspy

1. The Witcher 3
2. GTA V (PC)
3. MGS:V
4. Fallout 4
5. Batman Arkham Knight
6. Just Cause 3
7. Dark Souls 2 SOTFS
8. Ori and the Blind Forest

1. Splatoon ; This is currently my game of the generation. Everything from the music to the gameplay to the writing just clicks. It's also the most fun I've had in a game in years. I've put hundreds of hours into matches and every single match is as fun as the last.
2. Super Mario Maker ; I've always liked level editors but I never felt like I was making something good or fun until I played SMM. I can spend days perfecting a single level and it never gets boring.
3. Undertale ; Hilarious, emotional, and unique. This is a worthy spiritual successor to the Mother series.
4. Neko Atsume: Kitty Collector ; This game has its hooks in me. There's something about catching every cat that has consumed me. Everything about this game is pleasant and it's a great experience.
5. Rocket League ; I'm terrible at this game, but it's just so much fun. It's also my favorite game to watch streamed when I need to kill some time. I'm not much into eSports, but I would watch this on tv.
6. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Finally a worthy successor to Yoshi's Island! A great 2D platformer and one of the most gorgeous games I've ever seen.
7. Guitar Hero Live ; While the on disc content is a little short (but still pretty awesome), it's GHTV that gets this game my vote. I love that service and it really does change the paradigm of what a music game can be.
8. Box Boy! ; A great puzzle platformer. The only thing keeping this from being higher on my list is the length. If it was a little longer it easily could have made the top 5.

Puru

1. Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library & the Monster Seal ; Extremely good dungeon crawler with good dungeons, an heavy focus on exploration and fast combat, interesting classes and an incredible amount of content for over 100 hours of gameplay. The game is clearly not without fault, as the heavy fan service can be off putting for most, the regular story mostly feels like a giant tutorial outside of the 2-3 last dungeons and the class door can be a pain in the ass in the post game. The story is also pretty bad but to be honest, who cares, exploring a dungeon while punching an army of cute monster girls, beat a boss, get a new sexy CG and repeat, that's what i call living.

2. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; First time i really tried a monster hunter game without giving up after a few hours (a bit over 100 hours, yes i have more content to do but i have my reasons). The game feature good boss fights, while i'm not a fan of most weapons i have to admit they are pretty diverse and interesting to use. The game honestly looks gorgeous on the 3DS and control pretty well. As someone who likes to slap some boss this was as i expected a pretty good game. Now why didn't i keep up playing this game? Well i feel the frenzy virus mechanic was a terrible way to add filler content which only real purpose is to reuse the same mobs other and other again, fighting thousands of tigrex before finally fighting a new mob is... terrible to say the least. It also doesn't help that despise featuring awesome or good boss fights, it also features the most dreadful fights ever created (looking at your Gravios) resulting in a pretty sinusoidal experience. But despise those issues it's still a good game and i can't really complain about what i got, i'm definitely getting more Monster Hunter games.

3. Brandish: The Dark Revenant ; An interesting dungeon crawlers with once again good dungeons, some good boss fights, a good amount of content. To be quite honest i must say i like that game more than any ys from the same devs and wish they would try more of that style of gameplay. A really good surprise.

4. Castle in the Darkness ; I actually didn't realized this had been released this year when i made this post initially. It's a pretty fun metroidvania with tons of reference to old games, i didn't expect much from it when i bought it but i must say it was a pleasure to go through this game.

5. Splatoon ; A pretty refreshing new IP from Nintendo and a really well done at that. Extremely fun and diverse shooter with interesting mechanics. Honestly one of the few multiplayer shooter i genuinly liked in many years (the other two main exception being shattered Horizon and Tribes Ascend).

1. Metal Gear Solid 5 ; It doesn't quite hit the Metal Gear tone I've grown to love, but it sure as hell is a great open world sandbox.
2. Life is Strange ; It has its flaws, but when you boot it up and the music and style sets in, you are in that world and care for those people and wander what will happen next to them.
3. Forza Motorsport 6 ; Great car selection and the the tyre model with more vertical flex feels really great and rubbery and even a little bouncy-squeezy. Really amazing for a track-day simulator racing game.
4. Fallout 4 ; It has SO many flaws... it's a total "omg, why couldn't they have...". That plus lots of jankiness. But then again I do have 125 hours clocked in that game and enjoyed probably ~110 of it. It's a chilly game (so happy they kept console commands in the PC version)
5. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; I always wanted a french revolution AC game, but by the time Unity came out (and HOW it came out) I didn't care in the least for AC anymore (ship combat rescued IV). I didn't even think about getting Syndicate, but got it for free with my new graphics card and booted it up a month after I got the card... BOY, it's a good AC game. Suprise of the year for me.
6. Shadowrun: Honk Kong ; First game I backed on Kickstarter and I enjoyed it a lot less than Dragonfall, but Dragonfall was also my second favorite game of last year and might have been my favorite game this year. What I'm saying is: Honk Kong is still a really good game with great characters and combat sequences in it.
7. Super Mario Maker ; It's polished and nice... I didn't fall in love with it as much as I hoped
8. Axiom Verge ; It really is Metroid, but with a different vibe. How was this made mostly by one person??!
9. Project CARS ; Somehow it's a big mess and yet somehow it catches the spirit of motorsport racing really well: The sound, the racing-in-a-pack... and there there are weather and daytime changes(sunsets in the desert and thunderstorms at night in Europe!)
10. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Man, I hate the story in this game (maybe better than the first SE Tomb Raider, but still terrible), I don't like Lara's voice and I wish she would either be more grim or more swashbuckly; nothing about her character or looks fit in that world. Or, you know, keep her as she is, but make a world where someone like her can be the hero and still be believable. That said, it looks great and the action sequences are really well done (at least those that don't involve aiming firearms, only Batman did worse in that regard for me this year.
God, I hated that batmobile tank shit
).

Honorable Mentions
x. Mad Max ; I bought it, I haven't had time to really play it yet, so far I think it might have made on my list
x. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; I had a better time with this than some games that made it on the list, but remasters shouldn't be on a game of the year list in my opinion and I'm making an editorial decision here: not on my list!!
x. Puyo Puyo Tetris ; I wish it would count for this year

Risgroo

1. Ori and the Blind Forest ; A beautiful, emotional and absolutely unforgettable experience.
2. Bloodborne ;
3. Star Wars Battlefront ;
4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ;
5. Fallout 4 ;
6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ;
7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ;
8. Rocket League ;
9. DiRT Rally ;
10. Project CARS ;

Let me just say that this was a bad year and these games would probably be 5-6 spaces lower in a normal one. Of course there were also some external factors that prevented me from playing other potential candidates, but I think I got to mostly everything with the exception of Trails of Cold Steel and Type 0.

Now let's see if I did this right.

HlWNCMG.jpg

10. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse ; Not as good as Canvas Curse, but damn is it nice to finally have a successor. Sucks that you can't look at the TV though.

9. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; It's Majora's Mask. Anything I can say has already been said 15 years ago.

8. Yoshi's Woolly World ; A great successor to the original Yoshi's Island.

7. Life Is Strange ; Played this with my mom for our crappy Youtube show. Despite the ending, a pretty good coming of age story with an awesome rewind mechanic. Gonna go against the grain and say it's not the characters that did it for me (beyond a certain villain), but the plot itself. Also happy for my girl, Ashly Burch in one of her most important roles yet.

6. Euphoria ; Oh boy, am I even allowed to talk about this here? Here's a visual novel that portrays in great detail some of the darkest aspects of humanity and some pretty gross fetishes as well. Rape, scat, torture, murder, etc. And yet, it's all brought together in a legitimately compelling plot in spite of some pacing and redundancy issues. This, to me, is the proof that nothing should be off-limits in what a game can depict. For fans of 999/Virtue's Last Reward that need something to hold them over until Zero Time Dilemma and can handle some incredibly twisted stuff should give this a shot.

5. Until Dawn ; Also played this with my mom for our show. Horror movie tropes: the game, but with actual choices that matter. Might be the best modern "Heavy Rain" style adventure game I've played. Going to have to play this again and not let as many people die, because DAMN are some of those choices cryptic.

4. Corpse Party: Blood Drive ; One of the most disturbing commercial game series ever returns for the last entry in the Heavenly Host Saga. Despite being somewhat underwhelming and adopting an almost contradictory tone to the rest of the franchise, it was nice to finally get the conclusion we've been waiting for. It definitely won't be as memorable as the original and maybe even Book of Shadows, but I can't say I didn't enjoy my time with it.

3. Splatoon ; A shooter with some Nintendo polish and platforming thrown in. I really was not expecting this to be as good as it was. It lives and dies by its squid transforming gimmick, but it's a really friggin good gimmick. Not even a fan of shooters and yet this resonated with me to a surprising degree.

2. Stella Glow ; A really good SRPG with a not terrible story, an absolutely stellar Mitsuda soundtrack, standard but polished combat, and some damn good art. Funny, the first game from Imageepoch I think is legitimately good ends up being their last. Can't think of a better company swan song.

1. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls ; As a superfan of the Danganronpa series, this had to be my number 1. The callbacks, finding out what's going on in the outside world, the contrasting nature of it all, definitely can't knock this as a side story. On top of all that, having well-done child villains did add a level of depth I wasn't expecting to the series. There were some topics brought up that I've always found fascinating, like the measure of an adult life vs a child life, the reaction to child casualties, seeing a "protected class" as a villain but not being able to do anything about it, etc. That being said, I did have some HUGE problems with how the plot played out and this is nowhere as good as the numbered Danganronpa games, but even with all that, it still ended up being a better experience than everything else this year.

ohlawd

Euphoria

fuck, man

just... fuck.

I can't

like I just have to throw my hands up in the air and not say anything

I liked the latest episode tho

1. Undertale ; Simply the best game I played all year. At first it appears to be channeling Earthbound/Mother pretty hard (which it probably is) but it ends up becoming its own thing. Best music of the year, best writing, and most fun RPG I've played in a very long time. Not even a single moment of boredom or feeling of "grind".

2. Beginner's Guide ;
3. Mario Maker ;
4. Splatoon ;
5. Her Story ;
6. Cibele ;
7. Metal Gear Solid V ;
8. Subterfuge ; I don't really care much for mobile games in general, but that's not because I have anything inherently against them. I truly just don't find much that would suit my tastes. This game is amazing if you get a group of friends on it. Brilliantly designed.
9. Until Dawn ;
10. SOMA ;

kiryogi

Banned
XkxBP3N.png

1. Splatoon ; I haven't had this much fun with a shooter in a long time, and although I'm behind on the current content. But the time I did have fun with it early on, splatfests and etc was an absolute blast. Not to mention just how original the game was, and just how fresh the inklings are.

E1kp9pw.png

2. Yakuza 5 ; So much content, so much time, so much immersion. But most of all SO MUCH HEAT. It took a couple of years, and I've even played the import, but it's great to finally have it in english. Experiencing it during the Christmas season, even tho the game took place in 2012 was still a surreal experience. A great way to spend the holidays. That said, 5 continues to up the ante for the series (As each sequel does). So much variety, from Taxi driving, to hunting in the winter wilderness of Hokkaido.

qFZjbRN.png

3. Genei Ibun Roku #FE ; Since the rereveal, this game just absolutely wow-ed me. Nintendo/Atlus going in a totally different, unique, and most of all, creative direction that most video games don't. The story is nothing to write home about, but the cast is lovable by all means. Gameplay is actually pretty standard MegaTen, from the battles to the mechanics and exploration. But the visuals, while something that most folks don't understand nor accept, are just flat out creative. Seeing the audience reactions in the battle field, and the character interactions and spells. Atlus seriously did their homework. Probably the best Turn-based RPG I've played this year. Which brings us to the next best RPG of 2015...

vKLpaZn.png

4. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Mira, is absolutely immense and intense. It's captures an experience that's so lost nowadays in MMO gaming, full on unadulterated exploration. There's fascination and anxiety when you're exploring Mira. You could run into a really nasty mob if you go too far or take a wrong turn. But for what it's worth, you're treated to some amazing locales and views. On the gameplay side, X expands upon the original with a further polished combat system, but even better, the integration of Skells. Which changes up the dynamic both in exploration in combat. The game falls flat in the main narrative unfortunately, something that you'd usually look for in a Takahashi game. But the sidequests are actually really rewarding and further detail this immense world and it's inhabitants.

BC62j72.png

5. Final Fantasy: Record Keeper ; Mobile gaming has taken over, and I've submitted to it absolutely. If there was one title that I've been playing every day since it's conception, this is it. At the getgo, it might seem like shallow fanservice, but like mobile games, the real deal is when you hit the postgame meta. Once you're equipped and leveled, the events that occur every other week or so is where the real fun is. We get treated to throwback fights from the entire series that challenges you in a familiar way as they known for. FF: RK, as someone puts it, becomes a highly strategic turn-based RPG, that utilizes the renown ATB system. Basically, if you loved just the combat alone, along with tons of accompanying nods and aural nostalgia, FF: RK is a fantastic package.

xsn85Qa.png

6. Stella Glow ; Now at first glance, you'd think this is just more of Imageepoch's rather mediocre Luminous Arc stuff. But nope, this actually turned out to be a very pleasant surprise, in what's very fitting for Imageepoch's Swan Song. Fantastic production values all around, dub included. A pretty decent story, a very polished tactics battle system. It's nothing, as epic as say Tactics Ogre, but what's there is just extremely polished and was a real joy to play.

LqrTS1B.png

7. Freedom Planet ; Now this is an example of a great indie game. Over the past few releases and years. I've been getting pretty sick of the 8bit aesthetic, or poor attempts as capturing retro gameplay. But this was a pleasant surprise that captures the magic that was Sonic the Hedgehog in its glory days. Alongside with what was just a stellar soundtrack, decent dub. For what started off as a Sonic fangame, and become some more, way more.

8. Game H ; Your thoughts on Game H.
9. Game I ; Your thoughts on Game I.
10. Game J ; Your thoughts on Game J.

Honorable Mentions

hipiOnu.png

x. Granblue Fantasy ; I can't go and say its GOTY as I've only recently found the time to play it daily now. But whats there is quite the package. Full voice, absolutely gorgeous artwork from the renown Final Fantasy/Matsuno title art director, Hideo Minaba, alongside with a traditional turnbased battle system. But the social aspects are great too, with actual online raids to engage major enemies. I'm definitely invested in it, but not far enough to get into the meta, where all mobage shines.

hBl2pmX.png

x. Super Mario Maker ; SMM is actually pretty magical, and I consider myself the type to play content then design it. But somehow, with it's very user friendly interface and design, I actually found myself full on designing a level. Something I must have spent a good week on. I'm still proud of my creation, as difficult it has been. It's given me the appreciation to what game designers go through to deliver to us the games that we enjoy everyday. I want to create another level, but I haven't found the inspiration for it since then.

Click the pics above the entries for a music track I liked from the game!

1. Splatoon ; I’ve been a fan of shooters since the days of UT99 and have a big interest in their history and evolution over the years, everything including single/multi and FPS/third person. From a purely mechanical standpoint, the biggest strength of the genre is that over any other kind of game, shooters excel at making it interesting to move through dense 3D spaces and controlling it, building mental maps of your surroundings and using geometry to give yourself an advantage and dominate enemies or other constantly shifting factors. These fundamentals have manifested in a variety of ways over the years, but completely new concepts in this framework are far and few between. Doom took from top-down shooters and made speed and avoidance your biggest advantage over enemies, resulting in a formula never really seen again. Multiplayer arena shooters like UT and Quake 3 have their roots of competition in map control, a strategic layer where the goal is to starve opponents of necessary items. Resident Evil 4 took melee and crowd control to a new level, turning manipulation of groups and building opportunities for splash damage into an artform. There are more examples of interesting mechanical twists that change the way you think about space in this, the greatest genre of all time, but they’re far and few between. Enter Splatoon, a team based multiplayer shooter from… Nintendo?!

A lot of developers probably could have, and likely have before actually, come up with the mechanical concept of shooting as literal area control, but I can’t see anyone but Nintendo coming up with the mechanics AND making them thematically cohesive AND!! almost immediately understandable. There’s the oft repeated line about Splatoon’s “hidden depth” which makes no sense, seeing it for the first time during Nintendo’s E3 2014 thing immediately showed its potential to me, and that was back when there was only one weapon. The possibility space and some basic tactics are likely to be understood innately once the concept of “fast in your ink, very slow in their ink” is communicated. The two instantly swappable states and the multi-faceted stealth/speed/reload nature of squid mode amps up the complexity even more and makes traversal a uniquely fun thing to do. Common shooter concepts like chokepoints and hiding places, which would normally just be crafted by the level design, can be created on the fly by players in Splatoon which balloons the amount of possible strategies to a ridiculous degree. The depth here doesn’t come from obscure mechanics, precision aiming, or bullet spread patterns, it comes almost entirely from how players learn how to best manipulate the turf to their advantage. This applies to every MP mode, but less in the campaign unfortunately.

Despite the campaign focusing much less on turfing tactics, it’s still a great, if way too easy, five hour romp through Mario Galaxy style puzzley platforms. Not many shooters give you this many level design gimmicks to play with, something I wish there was much more of and Splatoon delivers. Lots of them directly correspond with the inking theme, such as small sponges that blow up into big platforms when shot with your ink and into deathtraps when shot with enemy ink. Enemies themselves are generally less interesting, mostly stationary shooters and roving melee threats. That’s the case up to but sure as hell not including the final boss. This guy is a clinic on how to do a boss in a shooter campaign, a skill shooter devs are usually sorely lacking. Unlike most of the campaign, this boss focuses much more on the shooting and turfing mechanics and less platforming. The intensity of this fight compared to the rest of the campaign is jarring but welcome, feeling like it fell out of a Platinum game and a Perfume cover by squids came along for the ride. My biggest hope for the almost inevitable sequel is a campaign that feels less like a tutorial, and with more sections that feel like shooter inkounters that make great use of turf control than just the platforming with light shooting.

Somehow I spewed praise at this game for three paragraphs and barely touched on the aesthetics, criminal given how much the aforementioned pseudo Perfume song owns, especially in context. The music is great across the board and feels more like weird alternate universe versions of popular music genres than any kind of game score. Another aesthetic and mechanical thing I think is PERFECT is when fragging enemies in single and MP, they explode in the color of your ink, splashing your color in a small radius. The pop-pop-pop-pop-SPLOOSH sound as you get multiple hits before murking someone is great, and cements this as the most ultra-violent feedback this year, more than anything in Bloodborne. You literally explode your enemies guts all over the place. And this is an ACTUALLY USEFUL MECHANIC. Jesus Christ I love this game. I should also have to mention that I’ve seen crossover fanart of at least 3 other games on this list in the Splatoon lobby at some point.

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; At number two, it’s another Japanese game where I feel like it’s more of an excellent take on Western concepts than anything from Glorious Nippon. As a Metal Gear fan and Kojima World Order member since playing Solid on a demo disc 50 times and a champion for the freeform big level with multiple objectives stealth action plan-and-execute shooter genre started by Crysis then refined (and until now, ended) with Crysis Warhead, this is like the Crysis 2 I never got, mixed with (some of) the flavor of Metal Gear and fluid Japanese action game controls. I played MGS4 after Crysis which made it even more of a disappointment, especially after the big game Kojima talked about stealth on a battlefield which was limited to like 2 hours of the game. Phantom Pain is finally the MGS3 + Crysis hybrid follow up I wanted in 2008 and the haters, storyfuckers, and neverbegameovers can suck it down.

V excels at so many small details it’s hard to pin them down individually. The component that makes it work as well as it does is possibly the enemy AI and associated factors like animation and sound design, which combine to form a complex AI model with at least 4 or 5 distinct states that are parsable by players after a surprisingly small amount of exposure. A common problem with stealth games is that the world state and interactions are more complex and interesting when the enemy is in a combat state actively fighting you, V avoids this by making interactions when you’re hidden as interesting as a firefight scenario. The variety of distractions is crazy, between clanking your mechanical arm, firing off a gunshot while hidden, detonating a remote explosive, the scope and difference in escalation of guard reaction is huge and easily controlled and loosely predicted by the player. The challenge comes down to execution and having to concern yourself with guards in multiple locations, and ones you might have not seen yet. And all that only pertains to being in a stealth state!

Mission variety tapers off halfway through the game but what is there provides a nice mix of scenarios and locations. The named infiltration areas in both Conflict Zones cover the gamut in terms of layout, size, verticality, etc and actually lived up to the pre-release bullet point of being interesting to infiltrate from a variety of angles. My favorite was probably the Afghan cliffside village Qarya Sakhra Ee as seen in Mission 08, the one where you have to eliminate the colonel guarded by two tanks. Turns out that mission was designed by an ex-Crytek employee… everything comes full circle in the wacky world of videogames.

There’s plenty of lamentable stuff in the game, the elephants in the room of course being the dry plot and unfinished ending. Despite lacking most of the goofy tone I liked about older Metal Gears and doing weird stuff with the characters, I found Skullface’s motivation and methods interesting, if a bit obtuse. The concept of language as a theoretical parasite as well as a weird physical Cronenberg one was cool if underexplored, and when it was it was via Code Talker, maybe the worst character in MGS history. All of the grinding and Konami meddling can, of course, fuck off but I finished it before the worst of it was implemented so I can’t really complain about it affecting my experience.

3. Bloodborne ; Genius Artist Godlike King Based Lord Miyazaki has done it again folks!! When this game was first leaked as Project Beast and the easiest thing to glean from the footage was “Dark Souls With A Shotgun”, which would be my killphrase if I was a cyborg. It delivered on that promise and then some. Combat itself I ended up not liking as much as Souls despite the inclusion of shotguns. The regain system is a clever mechanic that plays into the bloody rage theming, added mobility is great, but I still prefer the slower and more varied combat in the Souls games. Bloodborne kills it atmospherically, with tons of fucked up monsters in the various Kristian Wåhlin album covers you slice and dice your way through. The architecture itself makes up for the lack of color variety imposed by the lighting in outdoor areas, I found myself just staring at the outsides of places like Cainhurst and Mergo’s Loft for minutes. The tone and thematics I expected here were closer to a dark Castlevania mashup than what we got here, masterfully subverted expectations built up from the start towards the Turn Event in the middle of the game. As always, looking forward to the next big thing from this studio.

4. Super Mario Maker ; Mario Maker is an odd one out on this list because like half of my appreciation came not from editing levels or playing them, but watching others make them and slog through devious hellscapes. The game and editor themselves are great as one would expect a faithful compilation of all things Mario to be, and the editor itself having flavor and playfulness all over it are exactly the kind of touches that make the software itself valuable as its own thing apart from more powerful fan built tools like Lunar Magic. The great thing about a mainstream Mario level editor coming out in 2015 is that millions of people have already internalized all of the objects and rules of the game to the point where when they get their hands on Mario Maker, it’s like speaking a language they’ve always understood for the first time.

It’s been great seeing levels from people I know bringing their own personal tastes and personalities into the mix. A friend’s recreation of old Mega Man levels in a Mario context, Matt Thorson of Towerfall and Jumper fame putting together clever platforming puzzles that build up concepts old school Nintendo style, and Commander Keen creator Tom Hall’s massive vertical mazes with tons of superfluous coins everywhere like it’s a DOS game in 1991. Those levels were fun to play, and possibly more fun to watch was Giant Bomb’s foray into level editing and seeing their personalities manifest in stages. The calculated cruelty of old and bitter Jeff Gerstmann contrasted with Dan Ryckert’s haphazard childlike prank levels in a very visible way, culminating in the apocalyptic Ryckert vs. Klepek trilogy. Nothing represented the success of videogames as a “culture” this year more than Super Mario Maker.

5. Life is Strange ; I played a handful of good fantasy games this year and wasn’t really expecting this to be one of them. This game is ostensibly set in the real world, but a combination of things, intentional and unintentional, made it feel like a bizarre dreamscape. French developers made this game set in a small town high school in the Pacific Northwest, two places I’ve never been and I kind of suspect the writers haven’t either. This slightly off alien feeling, enhanced by the supernatural tinges and ethereal watercolor rendering in the actual game, and me playing all five episodes while sick in bed for a week made this a more intense and immersive experience than it had any right to be. It does cool things with the format, most notably at the end of episode 2 where your powers are stripped during an intense sequence that rewards the player for actually paying attention to the environment and exploring, something I would’ve expected to be praising in an entirely different genre than Telltale But With Rewinding.

6. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Geralt’s back and he’s here to explore a world bigger than ever and hit monsters with his two trusty paper bags!! Joking about the crappy feeling melee combat in this game aside, Wild Hunt owns in so many other ways it almost doesn’t matter. I think the game is most worth celebrating where its story and world design meet, the atmosphere in areas like the Swamp, Kaer Trolde, Novigrad, Crow’s Perch, etc feel unique and not like copy paste open world areas like you might see from a lesser developer. Particularly noteworthy were every appearance of the crones, both in character design and the way their presence is felt in that whole area of the world even when they’re aren’t physically there. Not sure any game characters have exuded the pure malevolence they do, and a sense of ancient and permeating evil that can never truly be destroyed.

7. Undertale ; I consider myself lucky to have gotten in on this before the rabid fanbase had a chance to even slightly color my perception of game. A lot of people seem to have personal reasons for connecting with Undertale and I’m no different, just in a kind of weird way. I spent a lot of my early teenage years using RPG Maker and hanging out in RPG Maker communities, acquiring an affection for the quirks of both JRPGs and amateur game developers. A couple of my favorite homebrew RPGs, Space Funeral and Barkley: Shut up and Jam Gaiden play directly off of both sets of quirks to great effect, mixing parody with a tangible sense of the people behind them, and throwing some catchy midicore tunes in there as a bonus. Undertale plants itself right there among those games, it just somehow got insanely popular.

The cast of characters themselves feel like a bunch of avatars from an early web forum, like the quirks of favorite RPG liking pals were drawn out into full characters. That might seem like a negative to most but a big plus for me, it’s nostalgia for a time and place and not for any particular genre of games or even the oft associated Earthbound, which I’ve never played for more than an hour. Outside of that, the surprises the battle system kept pulling kept me interested. The combat itself seems abstract and disconnected from the exploration and talking sections like most JRPG style games, but I found that it used that expectation to its advantage to connect with characters more, especially in important boss fights. The changing nature of the seemingly simple bullet hell dodging game based on the traits of characters you’re fighting was ingenious and kept going weird and surprising places for the entire game. This game might have been higher on the list if I had played the game a second time for the TRUE END, and possibly my favorite game had it come out around 2006 like other post-RPG Maker games.

8. SOMA ; It’s rare to be able to play something that presents science fiction concepts that aren’t retreads or eyerollingly trite and keep them interesting across an entire game. SOMA nails it, alternating between discussions about human consciousness, horror tinged exploration, and kind of obnoxious hide from the monster stealth sections that I think are still important to the pacing of the game despite not being great on their own. The desolate underwater facilities setting, both teeming with life and at the same time dying a slow death, provides a nice mix of sterile labs with dim lighting and weird organic-machine hybridization going on. One segment towards the end going from one facility to another on the seabed was maybe the most intense individual segment of a game I played all year even with no monsters, just great audio design and a few tiny red lights in the fog was all it needed.

9. Downwell ; The year continues to be good for games where you fall into a hole and end up underground with a bunch of monsters, only with more carnage and combos in this one. Downwell carries on the traditions of score attack arcade games with currently popular mechanics in randomization and permadeath, and the punch of a Vlambeer game. It felt great after a couple hours of play to go from just dodging and surviving in the early areas to stringing along massive combos and getting that GEM HIGH. I never actually managed to beat this but still go back to it regularly. Also, this somehow has a better shotgun than the next game...

10. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; It’s more of the first person shooting action I loved from last year’s The New Order with less of the charm. This prequel in standalone expansion form sends our boy BJ to a castle and a nearby village in the Alps on some mission I can’t remember what the initial objective was. The less grandiose level design resulted in some large scale encounters that felt less interesting than their TNO counterparts, largely replacing forward moving combat with more locked in areas with waves of enemies flooding out of monster closets. While I definitely preferred the former, this one has 9 of those encounters replayable in a score attack challenge mode which I got into for a while, so it’s not a total loss. The surprisingly good characters and writing from TNO kind of make it back, with no hub and a much smaller cast, Annette and Kessler’s stories were touching but felt like a much smaller and less important part of the game than arcs like Caroline’s from TNO. Also noteworthy is the sawed-off shotgun you get when things start getting real hairy, it’s one of the wimpiest sounding shotguns I’ve heard in a proper FPS and it isn’t fun to shoot either. Shameful.

I didn't play a lot of 2015 games, but I'm sure that didn't made a difference to the top spot since Rocket League is my favourite game for years.

1. Rocket League ; PC. I hadn't realised that Psyonix also developed Onslaught mode for UT2004, including ONS-Torlan - my favourite map and mode from my favourite game of all time. I loved Rocket League from launch too and the post-release support has just kept making it better and better. Movement in games is a big thing for me and this is pure, glorious movement.
2. TIS-100 ; PC. This minimalist iteration on SpaceChem is still immensely satisfying to progress through and for me benefits from the reduced scale, especially compared to Infinifactory.
3. The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna ; DLC PC. Talos Principle was very good, Gehenna continues that.
4. Kerbal Space Program ; PC. Running a space programme turns out to be genuinely fascinating, and let me finally grasp orbital mechanics intuitively. Wish I'd had it as a student.
5. Grow Home ; PC. A very pleasant, relaxed experience and a world I enjoyed spending time in enough to 100% complete the game, something I very rarely do.
6. Infinifactory ; PC. Another SpaceChem-alike. It loses something in the move to 3D; might not have helped that I came to this last of the three when it's probably better as an introduction. Still has that magic, just more routine mixed in.

x. Hotline Miami 2 ; PC. I was expecting more of the same, minus the novelty value of the first one, and that would have been enough to make my list. Instead, the story fell flat and the level design felt off, so I feel a bit too disappointed to put it in the top ten.
x. Dying Light ; PC. A decent game but didn't click like it's predecessors, I think because the melee combat lacked that Dead Island crunch, so I can't give it a spot.
x. Robot Roller Derby Disco Dodgeball ; PC. A lot of fun; feels like a Quake 3 mod in a good way. However, multiplayer is pretty much dead and it's a multiplayer-focused game.

The only other 2015 games I've played are Nom Nom Galaxy (just not that fun, dull combat and the campaign mode feels drawn-out) and a little each of Battlefront and BF: Hardline, I haven't spent enough time with either for a solid opinion but they didn't inspire me to keep playing.

Gorey

I spent most of the year catching up on older games, so half my list wouldn't count. Here's a top four:

1. Bloodborne ; A souls game with Platinum-esque fast action experience? Yep. Adored every moment, even the ones where I was breaking my controller in half. I sincerely hope FROM makes some more games in this vein - atmosphere, speed, fluidity, all of it.
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Enoyed the world building & the side quests particularly.
3. Destiny: The Taken King ; Came back to it after playing vanilla. What an improvement. Addicted all over again.
4. Mad Max ; now this is how you do a tie-in game. Just superlative, even when it gets repetitive. Driving around the wasteland in my hotrod is a zen experience.

Edit: thanks for the formatting heads up. Much appreciated.

Majestad

Banned
There should be an award for all the people who write paragraphs for their titles, when chances are nobody is going to read it.

Grexeno

I spent most of the year catching up on older games, so half my list wouldn't count. Here's a top four:
  1. Bloodborne: A souls game with Platinum-esque fast action experience? Yep. Adored every moment, even the ones where I was breaking my controller in half. I sincerely hope FROM makes some more games in this vein - atmosphere, speed, fluidity, all of it.
  2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt. Enoyed the world building & the side quests particularly.
  3. Destiny: The Taken King. Came back to it after playing vanilla. What an improvement. Addicted all over again.
  4. Mad Max: now this is how you do a tie-in game. Just superlative, even when it gets repetitive. Driving around the wasteland in my hotrod is a zen experience.
Game titles and comments must be separated by a semicolon and not a colon.

Neiteio

Top notch job, fam. Shoutouts to doing the "click on pics to hear track from song" thing.
How do you do this, btw?

Also, I'm thinking I'll do three posts: The first with #10-4, the second with #2 and #3, and then the last for #1. I just have a lot I want to articulate, for myself and for anyone interested. I also want to share some screens for the top three titles. Such beautiful games.

It really was a great year.

Also, this is cheesy and I don't know if I'll do it, but if anyone knows how to Photoshop and could make versions of my avatar with bronze, silver and gold filters, I'll use them as trophies. :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Shadoken why didn't you plagiarize a cool Rocket League write-up like mine??

Robbed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom