• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here I thought "that was a nice list by this kinaesthete fellow and clever use of incorrect images", I'm gonna be a real cool guy and give him some props.
Only to scroll down and see my thunder was stolen by that darn ViewtifulJC.
Well I speel my dreenk got there first but I'll allow it, they had a nice writeup earlier.

A Neiteio trilogy post coming up? that would indeed be tits as they say.

Well he didn't have a single original comment.

Let them edit their post? Like anyone else failing to follow the rules, let them fix their post to comply with the requirements.

Plagiarism is an issue for mods to deal with. As a message board member behaviour. For ballot counting it should be treated like any other that fails to follow the format.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It has to be more effort to plagiarize comments for different games than just writing one throwaway piece. I have no idea why he even did that, lol.

I want to call my awards ceremony the Golden Titties but I'm afraid that might be an actual award for the adult film industry or something
Just imagine, some chap out there seeks out the important results of a coveted adult film industry award only to be led to a post championing bloodborne and its visceral attack on a pig animation.
A bold new direction for the business.

It has to be more effort to plagiarize comments for different games than just writing one throwaway piece. I have no idea why he even did that, lol.

I thought this myself, perhaps it was actually a cunning test to see who reads these things.

Dez

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; I finally backed up and deleted my original save and am going through the game again - this after 85 hours on my first go. Wow, this is the MGS I've always wanted - tight mechanics, tons of gameplay options, and a meaty campaign that actually lets you enjoy the gameplay. While it doesn't reach the highs of MGS1 & 3 in terms of story/cutscene craziness, it more than makes up for it with its sandbox gameplay.

2. Halo 5: Guardians ;
3. Xenoblade Chronicles X ;
4. Life is Strange ;
5. Tales from the Borderlands ;

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
1. Pillars of Eternity ; I have been waiting for this game for a very long time. Planescape: Torment is very possibly my favorite game of all time and Baldur's Gate II isn't far behind. We have seen some very good CRPG games come out in the last year (Divinity and Wasteland 2), but none of have quite scratched the itch for the RTWP gameplay that I was missing until Pillars released. While the main story weakened in the back part of the game, it still had very strong writing and interesting characters. Combat was also enjoyable and strategic.

2. Rocket League ; I think I just hit 120 hours in Rocket League, making it my most game this year. Insanely fun and addicting, especially if you have a friend in which you can play consistently. Most of my time has been spent in ranked 2s, but the developer does a great job bringing out new modes, such as hockey for the last month. At this point, I don't see myself dropping this game anytime soon.

3. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Doubt there is much I can say about this game that hasn't been posted a thousand times already in this thread. Witcher 3 was probably my favorite open world RPG since Morrowind. CDRP crafted a beautiful world and more importantly, filled it with things to do that were actually fun. Many of the side quests, were just as interesting and well written as the main story. They also get bonus points for creating a mini-game that is actually fun in Gwent.

4. Life is Strange ; I never would thought I would say teenage drama would be one of my favorite games of the year, but here we are. Life is Strange perfectly blends gameplay with the cutscenes/dialogue in a way that TellTale has failed. Even better, they managed to do it without relying on QTE sequences that are never fun to play. You get a chance to explore and soak up the atmosphere, which the game has in spades. If there is one failing, it is that there are times that I think the dialogue suffers a bit from the translation barrier resulting in some sentences that I don't think anyone would ever utter. But that is a minor quibble and I can't wait to see what the next season brings.

5. Tales From The Borderlands ; This is a game that from its announcement I was very confused as to why it even existed. The story in Borderlands has never been particularly good, combined with just the general jankiness of TellTale games. I pretty much skipped it until all episodes were out, but I kept hearing enough good things about it that I felt I had to try it out. And I am very glad that I did, as this might be my favorite TellTale game yet. The characters are fantastic, the writing and dialog are sharp, and the heist story is just a lot of fun. The use of music has always been a strong point for Borderlands and this game took it to the next level (episode 2 in particular). The only reason this wasn't higher in my list is that the actual "gameplay" is not very fun. I don't enjoy smashing the Q key over and over again throughout the game. I will say they did have some fun with it in the final section of the game, which sort of redeemed it my eyes.

6. Mario Maker ; This is a game I have wanted for a very long time. Nintendo has finally given people who have no programming/artistic abilities a way to create our own Mario levels and share them with our friends and the world. I have had some wonderful experiences this year getting together with some friends, sharing beer and crafting fun levels. The only thing that holds this game back is the lack of in game sorting tools and limited meta data. Nintendo has fixed this some through the website, but it could still be better.

7. Kerbal Space Program ; Honestly this game probably deserves to be higher in the list, but I unfortunately haven't had a chance to play enough of the "release" version. I need to mess around with the career mode still. But the sandbox is just so fun. I love building goofy vehicles and just seeing what I can do with the systems in the game. Many a brave Kerbal has died in the pursuit of my space program, but I am sure they appreciate their death expands my knowledge so that I don't mess up my next orbit vector.

8. Shadowrun: Hong Kong ; Shadowrun continues to be a fantastic set of games. Hong Kong unfortunately doesn't quite live up to Dragonfall, but it is still a great game on its own. Hairbraned Schemes continues to create enjoyable stories, solid gameplay, and a fantastic atmosphere. The main negative for Hong Kong is it feels it is a bit rushed, so they still haven't improved the UI. There is also some general jank in the game, that feels like if they had a bit more time they could iron out.

9. Rebel Galaxy ; This was one of the bigger surprises for me this year, as I hadn't heard of it until it released. It actually completely derailed my play through of MGS5. It played very similar to the naval portion of Black Flag, but in space. The music was very clearly influenced by Firefly, but what was neat was the way it integrated customer music by allowing you to make playlists situational (ambient, combat, menu, etc). I hope more games copy in the future. It did get a bit repetitive, but it wasn't a long enough game to wear out its welcome.

10. Her Story ; I missed a majority of the FMV adventure games from the 90's, but I am going to guess most of them weren't as fun as this one or they would have survived. Was really fun to just sit down with a notepad writing down words I wanted to search in the database while watching the interviews.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been a particularly strong year for games, especially at the top. Any of the games in my top 7 I could call my number 1 game depending on my mood for the day, which is not something that I would have expected going into this year. There are several other games that I thought that were extremely good that just missed my list, including Undertale (it just didn't connect with my like it did a lot of people) and Broken Age.

The crazy thing is there are several other games that I imagine would have been fighting for a spot in my list had I had time to get to them this year. This includes Cities: Skylines, Metal Gear Solid 5, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Sunless Sea, Contradiction, and Tomb Raider.

tcrunch

Cn34LMt.jpg

Euphoria

animeGAF has gone too far

1. Undertale ; Like Earthbound but with good gameplay.
2. Bloodborne ; Like Dark Souls but faster paced.
3. Pillars of Eternity ; Like Baldurs Gate 2 but with a better UI.
4. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Like every great indie game merged into one.
5. Splatoon ; Like TF2 meets paintball meets Nintendo.
6. Super Mario Maker ; Like Mario with a level editor.
7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Like a game of the decade with an incomplete ending.
8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Like Witcher 2 but better in every way.
9. Tales From The Borderlands: Episodes 2-5 ; Like Telltale's formula but well executed.
10. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number ; Like Hotline Miami but more extreme.

Honorable Mentions:
x. Box Boy!
x. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
x. Downwell
x. Nuclear Throne
x. Lara Croft GO
x. The Beginners Guide
x. Rocket League

Grexeno

1 Undertale.
2 Bloodborne.
3 Pillars of Eternity.
4 Ori and the Blind Forest.
5 Splatoon.
6 Super Mario Maker.
7 Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.
8 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
9 Tales From The Borderlands.
10 Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number.

Honorable Mentions: BoxBoy, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Downwell, Nuclear Throne, Lara Croft GO, The Beginners Guide, Rocket League
You must add at least one comment for your ballot to count.

Does it count now?
No. Have a period after the numbering. Use semi-colons between the game name and the comments. And honourable mentions are all to be listed in different rows all beginning with 'x.' instead of numbers.

For example:

1. Undertale ; Like Earthbound but with good gameplay.
2. Bloodborne ; Like Dark Souls but faster paced.
3. Pillars of Eternity ; Like Baldurs Gate 2 but with a better UI.
4. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Like every great indie game merged into one.
5. Splatoon ; Like TF2 meets paintball meets Nintendo.
6. Super Mario Maker ; Like Mario with a level editor.
7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Like a game of the decade with an incomplete ending.
8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Like Witcher 2 but better in every way.
9. Tales From The Borderlands: Episodes 2-5 ; Like Telltale's formula but well executed.
10. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number ; Like Hotline Miami but more extreme.

Honorable Mentions:
x. Box Boy!
x. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
x. Downwell
x. Nuclear Throne
x. Lara Croft GO
x. The Beginners Guide
x. Rocket League

J_Viper

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; A massive, gorgeous open world filled with meaningful quests, amazing art design, and great combat brought to life with some of the strongest writing, voice work, and facial capture I've experienced in the realm of video games. TWIII single handedly justifies the existence of this console generation.

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; MGSV is easily one of the most mechanically precise, perfectly tuned games I ever laid my hands on. Every one of the games systems, from it's movement, to the shooting mechanics, not only handles like a dream, but also animates fantastically. Add in a plethora of entertaining gadgets, and tons of missions to experiment with them, and you easily got yourself one of the best action games ever crafted.

3. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; RotTR is the big, loud action movie distilled to its essence then converted to video game form. The stunning set pieces and excellent presentation are supplemented greatly with just enough scope, meaningful collectibles, and simple yet satisfying puzzles . Add in a surprisingly enjoyable story, as well a huge improvement to Lara's character, and you've got yourself one hell of a sequel

4. Life is Strange ; Dontnod has crafted what I believe the be the strongest of the "interactive storybook" genre I've played since Telltale's The Walking Dead broke out. The relationship between Max and Chloe is portrayed with such emotional heft and realism, it made me ponder the relationships I've had with friends in the past that I no longer in keep in touch with. Many developers have trouble sticking the landing with these types of games, but Dontnod creates such an impactful ending here, it nearly brought me to tears.

5. Fallout 4 ; Yeah, it's another Fallout. Yeah, the inventory system should be considered a crime against entertainment. Yeah, encumbrance shouldn't be a thing in 2015. Y'know what though? No one else knows how to create an immersive, living, breathing world like Bethesda does. The experience of roaming around post-apocalyptic Boston with a ghoul dressed as John Hancock is not something I can get anywhere else, and Bethesda delivers these entertaining oddities in spades. The improved shooting mechanics are also a welcome addition

6. Bloodborne ; A game that prides itself on how spirit-crushingly difficult it can be just wouldn't work if it's mechanically weren't up to par. Thankfully, this is one of the many areas were From Software excels at. The pitch-perfect combat is such a joy to experience. This along with the beautifully macabre art design and haunting narrative strings make Bloodborne an excellent action-horror experience.

7. Mortal Kombat X ; NetherRealm once again shows developers that you can, indeed, fill a fighting game with worthwhile single player content. With a narrative that's better crafted than anyone could expect, NRS prove they are second to none when it comes to story modes in fighters. With a sizable cast that are mostly easy to play with, yet challenging to master, MKX represents my favorite type of fighting game, one I can simply pick up and play.

8. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate ; Assassin's Creed Unity is a horrible, horrible game. One of the worst I've had the misfortune of spending dozens of hours with. It's with a pleasant surprise then that I can claim how much fun I had in Syndicate. With massively improved controls, precise combat that's simple to pull off and entertaining to watch, enjoyable characters, and that incredible grappling hook, Ubisoft has essentially resuscitated the near crumbling series

9. Dying Light ; You can dropkick zombies. Must I go on?

10. Batman: Arkham Knight ; I could've done without that bothersome Batmobile, but I can't let that get in the way of the great times I had here. Rocksteady's famous combat is here in top form, along with entertaining gadgets both new and old. Gliding through Gotham's striking skyline is something that never got old throughout my 40 hour playtime. I also enjoyed RS's take on "Open-World Outposts", as I felt each was its own puzzle sequence, as well as the tried and true predator stealth formula. Not the perfect goodbye, but a satisfying one all the same.

Hope I did this right

Majestad

Banned
J Viper, you put so much effort in your post, but your votes will be invalid because you are not following the OP's rule. Read the OP.

ohlawd

From what I understand, putting a semi colon in a post that's not your GOTY post breaks your GOTY post, so you should probably edit.

you understand wrong. using a semi colon doesn't fuck up anything by itself. like if I noticed someone screwed up then I proceed to fix their vote myself by posting the correct format. pretend there are no brackets

(1.) Fake Game ; it's so fake it's real
(2.) Real Game ; Jaden Smith endorsed

then I fucked up because I now overwrote my own ballot

if people want to help out others by editing their wrongly formatted post, quote their votes and fix accordingly like Aarglefarg did a few posts back

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
1. Life is Strange ; The only adventure game I played before this was TWD, and LiS is much better than TWD, not just in terms of writing, but also gameplay and cinematography. I can excuse "cinematic games" if I feel the "cinema" aspect meets the same standards I have for film. Also, bae is love, bae is life, fuck the Bay. I hope DONTNOD releases an epilogue to cover the ending that suffered the most from the constraints of budget and time.

2. Aviary Attourney ; Ace Attourney meets Victor Hugo. A wonderful little VN to close out the year. Writing was witty and ironic without being overbearing with its references and jokes. I wish more games would draw on real history like this, without the ludonarrative baggage of warfare or combat. There's a wealth of new experiences to be had in the realm of history, it's a shame most of it is left untapped.

3. Path of Exile: The Awakening ; I played PoE back when it first launched but I never really got into it until Awakening. I appreciate a lot of things about it, like the crafting system, the barter economy, and the extremely flexible skill/spell system. It gets a lot of things right in this age of increasingly streamlined and straightforward online RPG experiences.

4. Shadowrun: Hong Kong ; Probably the best video game writing I've encountered all year. Unfortunately, there was so damn much of it and it wasn't spaced out very well. The tactical combat was fine, but not very challenging or memorable.

5. Armello ; A fun board game that I unfortunately never played online. Compared to other boardgames-turned-digital, playing Armello feels much better, like Hearthstone does compared to MTGO. Main flaw was that the game took so damn long because of the animations, and that it's kind of RNG heavy in a way that's not very fun.

6. Cities: Skylines ; My first city builder, which taught me that I love building cities and that I should never be put in charge of one. I even designed a few modular street blocks I put up on the Workshop. That was a very unique experience for me since I was never really much into modding or mods.

7. Pillars of Eternity ; All I could think of while playing this is "I wish this was Divinity: OS instead". Played about 50 hours and I think I reached the middle of Act 2? Lost interest after that. There was just too much stuff to do and I couldn't care about any of it.

8. Agar.io ; A fine of example of just how much fun you can have in a game with simple mechanics but complex emergent systems. One of those viral indie games like Minecraft although I don't think it'll ever be as big. Still, I'm glad to see the creator's achieved some measure of success. Living the indie dream.

Honorable Sudoku
x. Dota 2 Reborn ; Responsible for killing the game. RIP. The arrival of Custom Games wasn't as monumental as I expected, but I think it'll take time for some really good mods to hit the library and then we'll see if people will finally download DOTA 2 only to play mods. As an experiment, I think it was a resounding success. Valve is definitely building the future of modding and mod-hosting.

x. Dota 6.86 ; 6.85 was a very oppressive patch in some ways, and I think it contributred to the player exodus at the end of the year. 6.86 fixes a lot of 6.85's problems but likely introduced some new ones we'll see in the Shanghai Majors. It also, I feel, marked a turning point in Icefrog's balance philosophy. The game has been steadily getting crazier with the kinds of items and skills he was adding, but it was a subtle, gradual change. After 6.86, however, it feels like "all bets are off". Anything is possible now, and I think DOTA will steadily steal the best features of its rival, League, while expanding the very idea of what a DOTA hero should or could be, in the coming year. Exciting times are ahead.

x. Stonehearth ; Backed this near its inception. Was pleasantly surprised to learn it hit Early Access this year and gave it whirl. My ~20 hours were rocky and bug-prone, and it doesn't quite offer a complete experience yet, but I see the building blocks for a very good game. One of those games that will eat up hundreds of hours for 4X/God-Game/City-Builder players once it's polished and released. Very mod friendly as well.

Steel

Banned
you understand wrong. using a semi colon doesn't fuck up anything by itself. like if I noticed someone screwed up then I proceed to fix their vote myself by posting the correct format. pretend there are no brackets

(1.) Fake Game ; it's so fake it's real
(2.) Real Game ; Jaden Smith endorsed

then I fucked up because I now overwrote my own ballot

if people want to help out others by editing their wrongly formatted post, quote their votes and fix accordingly like Aarglefarg did a few posts back

Gotcha.

Necrovex

Doing oversea works in Africa this past year has extremely limited my selection of games I played made in 2015. Many titles that would have made my list, such as Witcher III, MGSV, Fallout 4, and Splatoon are sadly omitted.

1. Life Is Strange ; This is a hipster ass game, and I love it to death due to it. I had a MacBook for most of 2015, so when it blew up, I finally had the chance to get a PC and give this title a go. It blew me away to say the least. The OST, the writing (bad dialogue and all), friend zoning Warren, and growing my relationship with Chole were all great component to kick starting 2016.

2. Tales From The Borderlands ; Telltale at their finest. I expected GoT would be the good title and this one bad. How wrong I was.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; Yes it's a remake, but I don't care. I rediscovered why I loved this title all those years back. Also I didn't want to only have two games on my list. Hahaha

I finally installed Pillars, Cities, Hong Kong onto my PC during the winter holidays. No clue if I will have the chance to play them before the voting session is over though.

Lol of the Year: Game of Thrones ; I got up to episode five of this title, six was installed on my MacBook. Then my computer broke. I had no desire to see its conclusion once that happened. First Telltale game ever to make me feel like that.

_Clash_

I feel like Bloodborne is slightly up, but Witcher 3 right in this.

Going to be an exciting vote. Hopefully it smashes the previous vote counts.

Ratrat

1. Bloodborne ; Probably the worst Soulsbourne game.
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; This would have been the most disappointing MGS game were it not for MGS4.
3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter ; It was pretty good, but I prefer FC.
4. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin ; Where is DS1 for PS4?

Yeah, I don't think I liked 2015.

tuxfool

Banned
Thanks for the heads up!

I gave it a fix, would it be considered valid now?

No.
I just don't get how it is so hard for people. See below for the fix.

Doing oversea works in Africa this past year has extremely limited my selection of games I played made in 2015. Many titles that would have made my list, such as Witcher III, MGSV, Fallout 4, and Splatoon are sadly omitted.

1. Life Is Strange ; This is a hipster ass game, and I love it to death due to it. I had a MacBook for most of 2015, so when it blew up, I finally had the chance to get a PC and give this title a go. It blew me away to say the least. The OST, the writing (bad dialogue and all), friend zoning Warren, and growing my relationship with Chole were all great component to kick starting 2016.

2. Tales From The Borderlands ; Telltale at their finest. I expected GoT would be the good title and this one bad. How wrong I was.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; Yes it's a remake, but I don't care. I rediscovered why I loved this title all those years back. Also I didn't want to only have two games on my list. Hahaha

I finally installed Pillars, Cities, Hong Kong onto my PC during the winter holidays. No clue if I will have the chance to play them before the voting session is over though.

Lol of the Year: Game of Thrones ; I got up to episode five of this title, six was installed on my MacBook. Then my computer broke. I had no desire to see its conclusion once that happened. First Telltale game ever to make me feel like that.

FTFY.

1. Bloodborne ; Games like Bloodborne are the reason why I love video games. The last one that kept me hooked for such a long period of time, even months after release, was Dark Souls. Miyazaki and his team created another masterpiece in the Souls-genre that improved a lot over the first games. Combat and movement was tweaked to feel even snappier and smoother than in Dark Souls. Weapons, while fewer in number, have much more depth to them. Each featuring its very own distinct moveset and no weapon plays the same.
And despite the change to a more agressive, faster paced combat system and a setting in a different time period, it retains all the qualities I love about From Software's Souls games: a gloomy art direction which really encaptures the atmosphere of the world (a nightmarish, gothic themed victorian city) it's set in, a cohesive world/map design that's fun to explore and surprises you with each opened shortcut, a huge variety of enemy types with distinct designs, movesets and well made encounters.
Technically it's the most advanced and the most polished game (apart from the frame pacing issues) in the series. Animations look better than in every previous Souls game before and visually ahead of it's predecessors too.
The Old Hunters expansion really improved the longevity of the game and gave the game a more "complete" feel. A mandatory expansion to the game that adds a new adventure and lots and lots of weapons.
I'm really glad that From Software, in regards to Bloodborne, remained loyal to the design philosophy that makes these games so special. In my opinion a mandatory game for Souls fans and a must play if you own a PS4, since it's seriously best title by far on the PS4. And arguably the best title of 2015.

Honorable mentions
x. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; I haven't played much of it and just made it to Velen. I stopped playing it because a variety of bugs turned me off the game. Because I haven't finished the game I feel I shouldn't include it in a top 10 list yet. I really liked what I've seen so far but I better wait until the last expansion releases and the game gets patched five times afterwards. I'm easily distraced my bugs and glitched and they just take my out of the experience. Hopefully I'll be able to get back to it.
x. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Simply the most amazing sandbox open world game I've seen. It was really fun while it lasted but I stopped playing it because I got distracted by something else. I'll come back to it later I think.
x The Order 1886 ; This one may not have turned out to be quite as I imanged but it was a nice romp still. Almost worth playing for the graphics alone. A shame the game was rather short. The shooting was actually pretty good. I would have included it in my list but since there is really only one game I'm voting for this year and because I don't want to give this game a second place (both Witcher 3 and MGS5 felt like better games from the little I've played), it will remain a honorable mention and nothing more.

1. Fallout 4 ; Despite its technical issues, the game still scratches what I come for in an RPG, and a few beats in the story were genuinely cool to me. I still like the worlds Bethesda crafts and I can't wait for substantial mods and DLC to come out for XB1. Great companions, great setting, fun weapons, and that urge to keep playing outscore any dumbed down dialogue or messy perk tree. Thank you, Bethesda, for making the games that I love.

2. Bloodborne ; While playing in co-op or taking to the streets alone, this game was the best successor to Dark Souls I could hope for. I'm not as diehard as many fans of the series, but few games capture the mystery of this series. Definitely the easiest Souls game in the series and also the shortest, but in my opinion by far the most unique.

3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; If only this game had a more-present and higher quality story, it would have easily been my number 1. But still the best open world gameplay and stealth gameplay I've ever played.

4. Batman: Arkham Knight ;

5. Forza Motorsport 6 ;

6. Destiny: The Taken King ;

7. Halo 5: Guardians ;

8. Mortal Kombat X ;

bluehat9

1. Bloodborne ; Not even that big a fan of the Souls games, but this one felt like something different. Really liked not having a shield and the dodging for attacks. Great atmosphere and world too.
2. Rise of The Tomb Raider ; Wasn't even on my radar until I saw some reviews, but very glad I decided to pick it up. Admittedly, I'm still of fan of upgraded Lara stealth-wrecking fools and burning people up with molotov cocktails than the actual tomb raiding though.
3. Galak-Z ; Was excited for this since I first saw it and had a lot of fun with it. Liked how the control scheme wasn't just straight dual-stick shooting and enjoyed the difficulty curve of learning how to maneuver the ship and being able to make some crazy escapes.
4. N++ ; So many levels, so much fun, simple, hard, maddening platforming.
5. Metal Gear Solid V ; Wish I could put it higher on the list because I put so much time into it and because that actual gameplay felt like the best in the series. Too bad the rest of what makes MGS great for me and what I was expecting (and what seemed to have promised in pre-release info) ended up never materializing. Bad story, boring boss battles, lack of memorable characters and moments drop it down. But that gameplay and the graphics were still so great that it makes my list.
6. Yoshi's Woolly World ; There are a few "tougher" games on my list, and sometimes I need a game to relax. Yoshi was there to fill that void. Easy in straightforward play, more difficult if you wanted to 100% a level, great visuals, and controls similar enough to the original Yoshi's Island have finally given me a game that is a worthy sequel to the SNES game.
7. Sunless Sea ; Absolutely oozes atmosphere at every step. Sometimes it feels a little too random and I'll go from being in control of whats going on to having nothing because of a ill-timed move out of my control out at sea, but I keep playing so that says something, I guess?
8. Splatoon ; It's like a strange, colorful, and wonderfully weird version of Call of Duty for me. Usually I'll only fire it up when I've got an hour to kill and just mess around in it like CoD, but the unique mechanics, art style, and play modes set it apart.
9. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate ; Now, I haven't played an AC game since before whatever one was set at the American Revolution so maybe that's why I was actually impressed with this one (and a sucker for something like Victorian London setting), but I found the gameplay to be great. Much like Tomb Raider, I really like the stealth kills and the rest of fighting in general seems to have taken from Arkham Asylum, which is a good thing.
10. Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR ; I can find fun in just about any golf game and that was the result here. This makes the list mainly because this is one of the few games my friends and I still play together. Lots of customization make it as easy or as hard as you want it to be, graphics are a step up from what looked like the same ps2 engine through last gen, and I actually liked all the little challenge mode stuff to finish them all. Its a good holdover while waiting for Hot Shots (assuming their new take is any good) and different enough from The Golf Club, and they've been slowly releasing new content for it too.

Vertti

I missed some big names like Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Batman AK but regardless played many great games so I guess I need to vote.

1. Undertale ; Skipped a lecture so I could finish the game. That much I liked it. I feel almost everything has been said but for me the best thing about it was the great characters and humor. Undertale also had one of the most satisfying gaming endings ever. I'm looking forward how highly this game is praised in the future and can't wait to see what Toby Fox does next. If you haven't played it for some reason you have to.

2. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Such an emotional journey. It felt almost like a Pixar movie and the gameplay is very solid and feels natural. It's not the most original Metroidvania-style game I've played but everything was crafted with such a passion it doesn't matter. Hopefully someday we will get Ori 2 because I think with some minor fixed it could be a better game.

3. Rocket League ; I really don't play multiplayer games. I'm single player guy so kudos to this game to get me hooked. About 10 of my friends also bought this game and we have had so much with playing against each other. My only minor grip is that there isn't crossplatform friend list. Mario Kart 8 was my GotY last year because of the MP awesomeness and while Rocket League didn't leave quite the same impact it's still a really good game.

4. Metal Gear Solid 5 ; I played 70 hours in 10 days. That must be a somekind of record in my gaming career and quite easily so. It wast just so much fun. The gameplay is almost perfect but everything else then isn't. That's why MGS5 isn't higher than 4th. But still even though it was a kinda dissapointment it also had so much good going on that I can't hate it. Vice versa and if you haven't played MGS game before this is kinda good starting point because you won't be dissapointed like the franchise veterans.

5. Yoshi's Woolly World ; I don't think WW will be very high on the list which is shame because it is a really good game. Yeah it is a very safe bet in many ways but I really enjoyed playing it with my siblings. You have really nice graphical style, good controls, a lot to collect and some really nice music too. It's not quite as good as Yoshi's Island but it's almost there. And that means it has to be an excellent game because YI is the GOAT 2D platformer.

6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; My first time playing through Majora's Mask in any form and I have to say I really liked it. It's very unique in many ways and has some of the best puzzles of the whole series. Only four dungeons felt a bit dissapointing but at least I liked them all (Yes, even the Great Bay.) Founding every mask was lots of fun and then you had all of those great emotional moments. One of the best Zelda games ever and a good remake even after reading about all those puzzling changes.

7. Shovel Knight - The Plague of Shadows ; This is how you do DLC. Oh and it was free! Almost as good as the main game because felt unique and gave a completely new way to play the game. Cannot wait to get my hands on the next two playable knights.

8. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Had very enjoyable 60 hours with this game. Before release I was afraid I don't have the patience to finish the game. That happened with Xenoblade which I liked but just couldn't finish. Well this time I was more hooked and couldn't stop playing. Still there were things I didn't like for example running around like headless chicken trying to find something very spesific. And oh how I hated the New LA music. But a great game nevertheless and one of the most beatiful worlds in any game I've ever played.

9. Splatoon ; Oh how I loved this game in the beginning. But then after getting to level 20 my interest dropped. When all the cool DLC came I wasn't interested anymore. The single player stuff was okay at best imo. Still a great concept, a fun game and hopefully it has a bright future ahead but Nintendo should think it through more carefully next time. I want more maps from the beginning without any 2 maps per 4 hours bulls**t. And I know you can make the single player even better.

10.Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; Had a bizarre release day so it won't get noticed in votings like this. But I have to say I really liked this game even though it was pretty simple. It has that Nintendo polish making even a simple game feel very fun and fresh. I'd like to see more titles like this.

Raphael

1. Bloodborne ; a few steps back in terms of variety of builds did not eclipse the fantastic world, atmosphere and gamplay..
2. Witcher 3 ; best RPG in years, if not ever made. Fantastic quest design, where even simple side quests often felt meaningful.
3. Metal Gear Solid V ; gameplay perfection, story issues.
4. Dark Soul 2 Scholars of the first sin ; flawed gem, but still one of the best games I have played this year. Great variety in everything - too bad the level designs were often quite bad compared to other games from From.
5. Pillars of Eternity ; good effort to bring back the maginificient IE era RPGs. Some great quests, and awesome NPCs. Too bad the story took a plunge and the later acts did not feel so thoughtful as the beginning. Looking forward to what the guys do next. Hope for a BG -> BG2 jump in quality.
6, GTA V ; Great game made even better on better hardware.

WITCHER3TEASER_610.jpg

1. The Witcher 3 ; Potentially the best game I've ever played. It's competing with Vagrant Story. I think it'll take me a few years to really decide...

2. Fallout 4 ; I know a lot of people hate on it, and I definitely agree it's the weakest game Bethesda Game Studios have put out in a long time. It's still an amazing game though. I've invested over 60 hours into this so far, and I can't understand why so many think if it isn't the best thing ever made then it must be the worst.

3. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; The best AC game since 2 imo, featuring some fantastic characters and the best environmental design the series has seen. Historical fiction at it's finest, and a great example of what video games can offer that other entertainment mediums can't when it comes to topics like history.

4. Bloodborne ; A brilliant setting, fantastic environmental and boss design, and fixed my biggest issue with the Souls series (no moving while healing). I still think it had some overly frustrating issues that held it back from being truly great (why do I have to grind for health vials after a few failed attempts at a boss fight? How does that improve the series' core gameplay at all?) but overall an amazing game.

5. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Beautiful. Can't wait to see what the team does next. I'm so glad to see the digital age giving smaller teams like this the chance to excel.

x. Honourable Mention to Gwent. Would probably be my number 2 if allowed =P

Tunic

1. Bloodborne ; I had always been intimidated by trying any Souls games. From the moment this game was announced I told myself I would finally give the series a try. I clearly remember the first couple of times playing the game. I was on the verge of just giving up and never playing it again. So much frustration burned inside of me. However, one day everything just clicked. I had finally downed Cleric Beast and several hours later I unlocked the platinum trophy. No other platinum trophy has felt as satisfying as the one from Bloodborne. From a wonderful setting/atmosphere to excellent gameplay/boss encounters/weapons I loved every moment I played. With the release of The Old Hunters Bloodborne solidified itself as one of the best games I have ever played.

2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Easily one of the best open world RPGs I have played. A wonderful atmosphere was created for The Witcher III. A great big sense of adventure is on display and countless hours can be spent in an absolutely epic RPG.

3. Splatoon ; I am usually not a fan of multiplayer shooters but I was always intrigued and wanted to play this game since it was announced. I have spent countless hours playing online with so many fun and competitive game modes. Nintendo has added so much content after the initial release that keeps the game FRESH! The single player is excellent too and features one of the best boss battles ever.

4. Life is Strange ; After reading many positive reactions to Life is Strange I had decided to give the game a try. I am so happy I decided to play what ended up being in my top 5 games of the year. The first episode had me completely hooked and I had to see the story to the end.

5. Fallout 4 ; I absolutely love the Fallout universe and Bethesda released another great game to add to the series. Fallout 4 really adds a sense of adventure and exploration and I had to take my time and not fast travel and explore everything.

6. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel ;

7. Until Dawn ;

8. Tales from the Borderlands ;

9. Super Mario Maker ;

10. Yoshi's Woolly World ;

NawidA

Banned
1. Bloodborne ; Probably the worst Soulsbourne game.
2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; This would have been the most disappointing MGS game were it not for MGS4.
3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter ; It was pretty good, but I prefer FC.
4. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin ; Where is DS1 for PS4?

Yeah, I don't think I liked 2015.

why vote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom