• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2008

Pasco

Banned
Just want to give a big thank you to Anihawk for doing this again this year, and good look to his successor, whoever that may be. You've got some big shoes to fill.

GQman2121

Banned
Bravo everyone. It really is a great list of games, in a respectable order, that I don't think anyone can complain about. There's something there for each and everyone of us.

Dunlop

Nice list, I guess I really should play MSG4. I haven't followed the series at all and made it about 2 minutes in the demo before I deleted.

/goes to Wiki story line so he can rent over the holidays

oneHeero

Good to know I didnt have to vote yet my fav games placed in really good spots, like 1st and 2nd place :lol

and LOL @ all the butthurt 360 fans.

McBacon said:
Oh, and if I'm not permabanned by then, I'll be up for the 2009 job.
Good luck with that.

The not being banned bit. What are your offences so far? Piracy, homophobia and racism? It's a good streak.

I'm sad to see Valkyria didn't make top ten, but it's nice knowing it placed as high as it did. The top three games are all excellent, I just wish I had the opportunity to play Left 4 Dead. Good job GAF and thanks for the work Anihawk.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Geometry Wars 2 and Bionic Commando not being on the very top of the downloadable games heap, let alone not even ranking in the top 5, is hocking a big fat loogie in the face of reason.

Bad show, GAF, bad show.

oneHeero said:
Good to know I didnt have to vote yet my fav games placed in really good spots, like 1st and 2nd place :lol

and LOL @ all the butthurt 360 fans.
I've been playing my PS3 for the last year more than my 360, and I disagree with the list (especially 1 and 2). Oh well, the world goes 'round.

I'd say there are some butthurt 360 fans, but I wouldn't generalized it that way.

Calcaneus

Nice list, good job on making it.

But why is everybody going on about how better this is than the critics lists? Its basically the same thing, almost every game in the top ten was picked by some publication as GOTY.

Evlar

Banned
Pretty good list, though my #1 wasn't anywhere near the top. I had MGS4 in the top ten, I liked it quite a bit, and I think it's a fair GOTY from a gaming forum like this. I'm actually a little surprised it did so well, just based on GAF hype.

Mar

AniHawk said:
Racing Game of the Year: Burnout Paradise (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)
2moqywy.jpg

Well deserved. GAF redeems itself in some way after all.

Son of Godzilla said:
198. Imagine: Party Babyz - 9
198. Quantum of Solace - 9
198. Space Giraffe (PC) - 9
206. Crafty Chess - 8
206. Crash Commando - 8
206. Pirates of the Burning Sea - 8
206. PlayAuditorium - 8
217. Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom - 7
217. Lips - 7
217. Sonic Chronicles - 7
231. The Bourne Conspiracy - 6
231. Euro Truck Simulator - 6
259. Princess Debut - 4
259. Sega Superstar Tennis - 4
268. Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures - 3

You really need to switch to a compiler or whatever. The people who voted for these need to be tagged for tracking purposes.

Hmm? You know the coolest thing about these GotYs is that the strangest of games get voted for. It's what makes the GAF GotYs unique and interesting. Who are you to say what games other people should enjoy?

And I dare you, just dare you, to try and argue why I shouldn't have voted for Space Giraffe on PC. Because that was an easy pick for number 2 on my list.

Anihawk, I'm sad to hear you aren't going to do them anymore. I hope you change your mind, but understand if you don't. Thanks for your tireless work in making the greatest threads to grace these boards.

segarr

Great job Ani, I can only imagine the hassle of this whole thing.

Own 6 of the top ten, will be 7 soon, not a bad year by any means.

Only thing I'm disappointed about...well, maybe a better word would be perplexed about, is Soulcalibur 4. I really thought this was better received around here, oh well.

I can't argue with this list. 7 of the 9 I voted for made the top 10 and only one fell out of the top 20. I only strongly disagree with one of the top 10 choices.

Ranger X

Calcaneus said:
Nice list, good job on making it.

But why is everybody going on about how better this is than the critics lists? Its basically the same thing, almost every game in the top ten was picked by some publication as GOTY.

It represents the market more accurately if you compare GAF to one other major publication simply because our awards here is a more accurate sample of gamers. The award here is the result of the collective of hundreds of gamers. At 1up, it's like 10 gamers and sometimes more journalists than gamer.

What you would need to compare this GAF award properly here would be like if MetaCritics or GamesRanking would make awards out of their year's stats.

Aladuf

Banned
Good list GAF, MGS4 in first and LBP in second are awesome choices. Glad to see Burnout Paradise end up ranking so high too, that game is so fucking good.

Coverly

Grecco said:
Wish Mirrors Edge would have fared better but thanks for doing this Ani.

Same here. but looking at the titles above it, they're all great. Hard to say which one it should replace.

Azure J

Aww, Valkryia got toppled by Braid. :(

Still though, it's pretty high up there so that can only be a good thing. Congrats everyone that voted and thanks again AniHawk for organizing this. :D

Durante

Valkyria was robbed!

It's still the GAF JRPG of the year and strategy game of the year though.

(Btw, as long as people adhere to some standard formatting I wouldn't mind doing the thread, I'd just write a script to do the counting)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Tieno said:
Yes, because there are way too many otaku and anime lovers on this board.

I like you, Tieno, but I think sometimes you just need to set aside your biases and actually play the games...

Although I don't agree with MGS4 being the #1 game and I liked many games from all 3 regions much more

Meh @ GAF's GOTY. Didn't like it that much. Personally, I think I will be WAY more pleased with next year's results because of Alan Wake and BioShock 2: Sea of Dreams.

I wish Dead Space was higher, it really was the sleeper hit of the year.

jjasper

Stoney Mason said:
The sports game listings on GAF are always sort of weird imo.

I actually don't think the list is that bad if you replace Hot Shots with NBA 2K9 (although I didn't play PES and just kinda assume it is somewhat good).

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Stoney Mason said:
The sports game listings on GAF are always sort of weird imo.
I find it hard to list sports games in my GOTY listing, as I feel they're always improving year-on-year anyway, so if you include it one year, you've got include it in the next.

FIFA 09 was probably one of my most played games of the year, I love it, best footy game I've ever played, but I don't think I'd feel right putting it in my list knowing - barring an absolute disaster - next years game will be even better and require me to include it again.

donny2112

HK-47 said:
Hey there is nothing wrong with Cooking Guide!

Shoot! I forgot to put that on my listing. I've already done two recipes
and unlocked the Game & Watch game
, and it's gone pretty smoothly both times. I'm really looking forward to doing more. :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well deserved.

cjelly said:
I find it hard to list sports games in my GOTY listing, as I feel they're always improving year-on-year anyway, so if you include it one year, you've got include it in the next.

FIFA 09 was probably one of my most played games of the year, I love it, best footy game I've ever played, but I don't think I'd feel right putting it in my list knowing - barring an absolute disaster - next years game will be even better and require me to include it again.

Agreed which is why somebody is probably better off at a sports specific board when it comes to sports game recommendations.

Guled

Awesome job Anihawk, the only thing I don't agree with is that P4 and GTA4 should switch places. But this list is better then any other site/magazine publication. But I am surprised to see how well P4 did considering how late it came out and the fact its a ps2 game. I would also like to say that I would also like to do the GOTY awards next year. I have tons of free time and I'm good at counting, so I'll be fit for the job :D

SickBoy

While I don't agree with it, it wasn't unexpected to see MGS win (worst GOTY pick here yet, IMO).

But on another note, I wonder why there's a "stealth game of the year" category. Isn't that sort of like giving it it's own category to win? (What other stealth games released this year, and in your average year, what stealth games come out other than possibly a Splinter Cell?)

I'd be happier to see it at the top of the action-adventure category...

Top Bottom