• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year Awards 2008

Well done MGS4. We knew you could do it! :)

Great to see LBP do so well too. Great performance by Valkyria though, I didn't think it would have gotten Top 15 by a long shot.

Baha

Basileus777 said:
PixelJunk Monsters winning strategy game of the year is a farce, but GAF hates the PC. Other than that, mostly good choices.

I think the problem is that there are more people who played PJM that post here than people who played Sins and post here as well. In any case, like all democratic votes, the majority rules. I think that the best of '08 were represented well here and I'm happy with that.

Durante

Basileus777 said:
PixelJunk Monsters winning strategy game of the year is a farce
Indeed, but not for the reason you give. There's a game that's rated 15 ranks higher and is also more strategical (I've got both of them in my top 10 list, so it's not like I didn't enjoy PJM).

I didn't vote this year because I still have to play everything.

Looks pretty good, but I am disappointed at how low Sins of a Solar Empire is. I doubt many people on GAF played it, but it really is spectacular. Far Cry 2, Etrian Odyssey II, and Patapon were snubbed a bit too. Nevertheless, well done GAF, as usual.

fernoca

Nice work, and nice results! The few rare occasions were I can say I've played and enjoyed the Top 10 games.. :)

Kinda weird that Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe didn't even got a single point (even when more hated, bashed and least selling games around this forum even got a few points); but hey..I didn't voted for it, unlike prior years.. :p

fernoca said:
Kinda weird that Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe didn't even got a single point (even when more hated, bashed and least selling games around this forum even got a few points); but hey..I didn't voted for it, unlike prior years.. :p
That is very weird, guess it didn't make much of an impression many people.

tanod

when is my burrito
Caught an error Anihawk.
Dead Space isn't showing up on the top 10 multi-plat list.

Agree with every top award this year with the exception of anything Fallout 3 won. I personally loathe Bethesda style RPGs and can't get any fun out of them.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Thanks for this Anihawk.
Here's to you, koji pro and media molecule. Great year for gaming all around.

Fireblend

Banned
Awesome! I agree with most, although I thought Professor Layton would be counted as an adventure game, and not as puzzle, but I guess that's alright because Apollo Justice is also awesome and deserves the adventure award anyway :lol

Great job and happy 2009! Hopefully next year's competition will be even better than this year's :D
here's to a DS game getting in the top 10 next year! God knows TWEWY deserved it :(

God damn I missed it! Ah well, great top 10 but Chrono Trigger should be higher. :(

:lol @ xabre, wtf do you want? Your top 10 to be the one that is put up? gtfo.

Great winners GAF, Im impressed.

Good to see GTAIV up there on top of all the hate its getting here. MGS4 and LBP are in their rightful places.

The only thing i would take out is Brawl and put in Burnout Paradise, but overall its really amazing.

dork

Banned
switch lbp and fallout

thats just ludacris, people are just doing the "its cool to like it " nonsense. game wasn't even that good

Kaako

Felium Defensor
dork said:
switch lbp and fallout

thats just ludacris, people are just doing the "its cool to like it " nonsense. game wasn't even that good
Sweet bitter tears, keep them pouring dork. ;p

Son of Godzilla said:
:lol @

Music/Rhythm Game of the Year: Rock Band 2 (Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Wii)
2. Audiosurf (PC)
3. Rez HD (Xbox 360)
4. Patapon (Playstation Portable)
5. Guitar Hero: World Tour (Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Wii)

GAF hates its guitar hero.

Methinks it might be more "GAF hates Activision"...

...but the hate is well deserved.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
This isn't about consoles: it's about great software. 'member that, pssht.

That said, why didn't we also vote for our individual console OTY and tally those?

John Harker said:
This isn't about consoles: it's about great software. 'member that, pssht.

That said, why didn't we also vote for our individual console OTY and tally those?

Needless flame-bait.

like to see the results though :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Doc Evils said:
9gexig.jpg

MGS4 luv long time

santasnake.png

cilonen

xabre said:
The Sins result did it. I mean come the fuck on. Pixel what? That's just ridiculous. Sins is a strategy game with universal acclaim on the PC, it's very highly regarded, but nope, according to this place there's this obscure PS3 strat game that is supposed to be better. It just so typical. PC games just don't get their due here at all.

:lol

You've got which one is obscure and which one is well known of those two confused. I'd never heard of The Sins before reading this list.

Doytch

Strategy Game of the Year: PixelJunk Monsters (Playstation 3)
2. Sins of a Solar Empire (PC)

Tch tch. IGN > GAF

Chao

So the worst Metal Gear Solid game is the game of the year?

Looks like 2008 was a really bad year game wise then...

WinFonda

Chao said:

Either that or the premise that "MGS4 is the worst MGS" is completely bogus and isn't a shared view amongst everyone.

Hachimaki

Chao said:

For you. Others would consider it one of the best. Personally I think 2008 was a much better than 2007.

DuckRacer

I thought MGS4 was a spectacular game/movie and I think 2008 is a rather disappointing year for games. What does that make me?

Top Bottom