• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF has reached a sweet spot in terms of user activity

Simply put, this cannot last. So enjoy it while you can. We are in the process of fingering the G-spot of the online forum experience. As activity grows, the mod team will grow in tandem and bad things will start to happen. It will only take 1 or 2 cheeky, sneaky mods to bring back the puritan pyres where those of us with deviant beliefs will be burned upon and made examples of.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
ImpartialHelpfulEquestrian-max-1mb.gif

I'll shitpost this place to the ground before that happens.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Simply put, this cannot last. So enjoy it while you can. We are in the process of fingering the G-spot of the online forum experience. As activity grows, the mod team will grow in tandem and bad things will start to happen. It will only take 1 or 2 cheeky, sneaky mods to bring back the puritan pyres where those of us with deviant beliefs will be burned upon and made examples of.

If any new mods are of the quality of the current ones, increased activity should not be a problem.
Have mods who do what they are supposed to be doing.
Have enough mods to share the load.
Simple.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Eh, I think EviLore EviLore plans on keeping a closer watch on making sure the forum follows the ethos he wants of open and free discussion. Most issues with forums are going to be because of mixed ideas between leadership and the moderators under them as well as a lack of accountability. I'm sure Tyler will be more focused on picking the right people for the job and monitoring that they continue to do a good job. The ban appeal and ban history page are great steps in transparency.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
The great fracturing was probably the best thing to happen to this community (and the other one). It’s been nice having things split, era has been like the busy old gaf, and gaf resembled more of the early 00’s gaf I liked. Best of both worlds. I’ll be sad to see this site get more popular again

JordanN

Banned
GAF in 2008 was busier than this but not so busy that you couldn't have constructive conversations and it was still very sensibly moderated. We can def grow bigger still without everything going to shit.
I'm just happy GAF still exists at all.

While it was more busier in 2008, also consider that we hadn't seen Social Media gain as much steam back then.

Twitter, reddit, facebook, youtube, etc. A dedicated gaming board was unlikely going to compete with that on a much larger scale.

But GAF's niche is better served as having industry leaks and high quality discussions.

Last edited:

God Enel

GAF in 2008 was busier than this but not so busy that you couldn't have constructive conversations and it was still very sensibly moderated. We can def grow bigger still without everything going to shit.

What’s great is that you more or less know the regular posters here.
That’s another experience than the massive gaf from back in the days. And I enjoy it how it is now very much.

Though I miss M Mister Apoc

Kazza

I'll take quality over quantity.

Old GAF use to have tons of posts that just amounted to "Orange Man Bad", "I'm ready to kill myself" , "Is it normal to piss your pants in public?".

It was basically hot take central, but with the growing SJW agenda attached to it.

To be fair, we do have an "I Took 5 Shits Today" thread (which I'm not ashamed to say I contributed to). Speaking of which, someone should really bump that one up...

Kazza

I don't think the forum has quite reached the Goldilocks level of activity yet, but it's not too far off. I barely seem to notice any moderation going on, which I guess is just another way of saying that the moderation has been very good. Things are still at the point where I feel I recognise most of the posters. The again, with avatars like this it's pretty hard to forget:

614248.jpg

Codes 208

I prefer GAF as it is now. It’s more...inclusive.
Then again I owe my membership to that, as before gaf became lax with the email requirement I was a mere lurker looking in for well over six years.

iconmaster

Banned
Pretty much agreed. I'd like to see a greater variety of games getting discussed on the front page (yes, I've contributed), but perhaps it was always the case that the biggest games get the most attention and now I'm not sure this post was necessary.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I guess it depends what direction the mods go in. They could go full iron-fisted mode, or they could go in a similar direction to RPG Codex. Who knows. Personally, I wouldn't complain if we had a comment rating system as robust as Codex does. =p

Grinchy

Banned
One thing I don't miss from when the forum was massive was how fast a thread went from front page to page 5 to never being seen again. I understand the goal is user activity, but it's kinda nice that threads can breathe a little bit.

One thing I don't miss from when the forum was massive was how fast a thread went from front page to page 5 to never being seen again. I understand the goal is user activity, but it's kinda nice that threads can breathe a little bit.

Aside from the bullshit with the old mods, this was another reason I was a lurker for years. It was too fast, and if you weren't a familiar avatar then you were mostly ignored.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice

I"ve said it time and time again, but it's what I prefer. I was here back when GAF was booming, and in no way (in all its glory) did I enjoy that more than today. It was too large for me, if that makes sense. I'm not as cynical (respectfully) about this site's trajectory but I am sure as long as we continue our current path, we will have no future qualms.

I think the activity is good, I was on this site for years and most of the time with insomnia so I was on it many hours a day, I do still need many active topics to distract me from boredom or total depression but I also like to be free to post or react to shit without being censored.

Is there a list of banned movies or games we are not allowed to discuss here?

What is the point of active topics and traffic when you can't reply to shit how you honestly feel?
No matter what GAF has become I would rather be here than having to put up with that kind of shit.
I have been banned from GAF a few times in the past for silly shit but it was never as bad as the shit I have been seeing on the net lately.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm interested in how much has changed in the past year. I had an NFL draft thread last year where the majority of the posts were by me. Unless someone has already claimed it, I plan on making another NFL draft thread this year and I'm looking forward to seeing how active it'll be.

Pejo

I agree OP. Now I wish we'd get more game news threadmakers. That's the only thing left that I still think the site is lacking. Most times I read news on Reddit and sometimes some of the bigger news doesn't even get a thread here. Hell, most big games don't even get OTs anymore. Once we get both of those things back, I'd say GAF is back. OT is just about perfect right now.

brap

Banned
I remember around 2012 I was reading PS4 rumors and stuff and by the time I finished looking at the first page there was already another one :messenger_face_screaming:
It's so much more easy to manage now. I feel like I know some people and I even if I don't I usually see them around posting. Pretty comfy. Back then there was a handful of people that everybody knew then like a million others lol.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think the activity is good, I was on this site for years and most of the time with insomnia so I was on it many hours a day, I do still need many active topics to distract me from boredom or total depression but I also like to be free to post or react to shit without being censored.

Is there a list of banned movies or games we are not allowed to discuss here?

What is the point of active topics and traffic when you can't reply to shit how you honestly feel?
No matter what GAF has become I would rather be here than having to put up with that kind of shit.
I have been banned from GAF a few times in the past for silly shit but it was never as bad as the shit I have been seeing on the net lately.
I can’t comment for the site staff but I don’t think media non grata is a thing here. Is it a legal piece of media in the land of the free and the home of the Whopper? No reason to stifle discussion. As always mark nsfw threads and nsfw content in posts. Use common sense on what content belongs on a R18 site instead.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

Gaf is nice because you aren't banned for the stupidest shit. That other place, they don't even warn anymore. Its just an autoban lol. I got banned because I said something about government of China lol.

Only complaint here is that a lot of communities migrated.

Also, its only 50 posts per thread? Can I change this?

Top Bottom