• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, help me understand the no port begging thing.

BibiMaghoo

It's a funny one. The difference between "Wish this was on X console" and "I wonder why this isn't on this platform" as a discussion point is very small.

Discussing why something is or is not on a system isn't port begging, but wishing it was on a system is. That seems difficult.

Murders actual discussion stone dead and replaces it with "I wish [BLANK] was on [REDACTED]" ad nauseum.

I really haven't seen this.

In fact, I think it's the multiple "omg stop port begging" posts afterwards that actually derail the thread.

There really is nothing wrong with wanting things.

anthn

Why doesn't someone start a "Games you would like to see get an HD remaster / pc port" thread? Unless there is one already...

Why doesn't someone start a "Games you would like to see get an HD remaster / pc port" thread? Unless there is one already...

I wouldn't be against a pc port thread. (With Sony and Nintendo first-party games being off limits for clear reasons.)

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I don't know if it started with it, but I remember MGS4 leading to me being aware of the port begging rule. Every single MGS4 thread would turn into an argument whether or not it was coming, or could be done on Xbox 360. It derailed many threads, and was annoying if you wanted to talk about the latest MGS4 news.

Sylver

Banned
I think port beg has help quite a lot for REmastered port for so many consoles.
I hope people beg for REZero port.
I'm more worried for people who says things like "we need a CVX remastered" acting like this game do not exists, when what they really want is a Steam port beg because CVXHD is released on PS360 long time ago.

Seanspeed

Banned
I understand it in extreme circumstances, but it seems pretty harmless to me otherwise. Its hardly like the Ryse thread was being totally derailed or hurt by this 'port begging'.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The only temp ban I ever got on GAF was in a thread announcing that Parasite Eve 3rd Birthday, which was announced as an iPhone game, was coming out only on PSP.

I said something along the lines of "What? Damn I really wanted this on my iPhone".

I didn't realize that was port begging... it was more like port remorse given the news... but not in the eyes of the mods

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Maybe have a dedicated port begging thread? Dump all the crap in one officially sanctioned hole? Those the want to read about a user wanting game on X on thing Y can go there for their fill?

If you say you want to play a game on a system it's not announced for, you get banned. Simple enough really. I got banned for saying I would buy a ps3 version of peace walker is they ever made one.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Let's look at Bayonetta 2. At first a lot of posts in threads about Bayonetta 2 were complaining about the exclusivity and that it should be on PS4/Xbox One/PS3/360/PC/whatever. They weren't adding anything to the topic at all. If someone who actually wanted to discuss the game they had to go through all the shitpost portbegging in hopes of finding actual discussion.

Replace Bayonetta 2 with any other high profile third party exclusive (or a game that's not coming to a specific platform) and it's pretty much the same thing.

I bet you that the OT for Bayonetta 2 will be filled with port beg.

I think the selective enforcement sort of undermines it. See nearly every kickstarter thread ever.

That one is a little more understandable since a person is more likely to fund a game if they know if it getting release on a system of their choice.

But I just ask that on the kickstarter page after reading the Kickstarter page.

Question: Would saying, "this game would make more sense on PLATFORM" be considered port begging?

In my eyes yes but it largely depends on the context of the subject.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think the selective enforcement sort of undermines it. See nearly every kickstarter thread ever.

First, It's not selective enforcement that not everyone who speeds 5 over the speed limit gets a ticket. It's triage. Port begging is generally a pretty short, minor ban because it's just a specific case of general low-level derailing or trolling. Unless it hits epidemic proportion in a thread (like a DQ9 platform whine or Bayonetta 2 or Epic Mickey or whatever--I'm cognizant all those are Nintendo examples and it wasn't my intent) we don't normally have the resources to follow up on all of it.

Beyond that, your example is not great. It's difficult to handle announcement threads where a game's set of platforms is not locked down. Typically in KS threads, the person making the KS says "Right now I'm targeting <x, y, z> but I'd love to see it come to as many platforms as possible if I have the resources". Many KSes have stretch goals or add stretch goals to add extra platform support. We're not going to get mad at someone for quoting "I'd love to see my game on Vita, just a matter of priorities" to say "Can't wait, I'd love to play it on Vita". That's not a reasonable restriction on people. Even in KSes that aren't explicit about this stuff, often times there's an implication that the platforms chosen in the base KS are a baseline. This is why you don't see devs get angry when people ask them about future platform plans, but rather demure; on the other hand, you do see devs get angry when they're told "Micro$ux I can't believe you betrayed your fans and took a publishing deal with them put on Sony or you are BANKRUPT!!!!"

There's also a measure of flexibility because we are all aware that late ports occurs, especially from consoles to PC, and especially for independent games funded by first-party partners. Certainly a GTAV announcement thread shouldn't be overwhelmed by "You KNOW there'll be a PC port next year lol!!!!", but ... I mean... we did know it was going to get a PC port. There was never any doubt. And even if there was doubt, there was a steady stream of evidence coming out after release that reinforced the common sense. This doesn't mean that PC port begging isn't bannable, but it does mean that we're more likely to spend resources trying to enforce port begging stuff in threads where the people begging are derailing more and being more unreasonable.

Port begging is far more disruptive when it's talking about a game whose platforms are fixed in stone, especially a first-party game, and when the tone is more acrimonious.

sn00zer

Hey guys why isnt thread working on Iphone...I dont get it. Everyone has an Iphone you would have thought this dumbass OP wouldnt want to cut out HALF of their viewing audience. Jeezus H Christ this happens with every thread I want to look at. Does the OP expect me to go out and actually BUY an Iphone just to look at their thread....such horseshit.

Again bayonetta 2 thread. People complaining that is didn't make sense for it to be on wii u sine Nintendo didn't have the first.
I meant in terms of a game making more sense on another platform because of the gameplay. Not because of someone being pissed that they can't buy a game on their preferred platform.

fernoca

"Port begging" wouldn't be a problem if the posts had actual content. Like "this game would be nice with voice commands/hand gestures of Kinect"..or "sharing clips would be easy on PS4".

But instead you have a bunch of...man-children that "lolol third parties don't sell on Nintendo" and the "it should've been on this console since I won't be buying that other console for...reasons"; that add nothing to the discussion of the actual game.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Again bayonetta 2 thread. People complaining that is didn't make sense for it to be on wii u sine Nintendo didn't have the first.

Yeah and that eventually came back to bite them since Nintendo was funding for a port of Bayonetta 1 and was bundling it with Bayonetta 2.

Of course they didn't tell us that at the start and we only found out at E3 this year. ¬_¬;

I meant in terms of a game making more sense on another platform because of the gameplay. Not because of someone being pissed that they can't buy a game on their preferred platform.

Oh yeah that is port begging hands down, I fail to see how gameplay is affected by platform.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Where does the one end and the other start?
I'd say there is no definitive line.

Where did it start? Why is it so off limits? Someone saying "man I wish we could get X game on X platform" is really worse than the multitude of posts made up of "lol" or "." ?

Everyone knows that people who own X console but not Y console will want Z game that is on Y console. It's an unstated fact that doesn't need to be argued.

Caerith

Question: Would saying, "this game would make more sense on PLATFORM" be considered port begging?
Not if it's a reasonable post. "This game is a 100-hour RPG, it would make more sense on a console than a handheld because battery life and lots of text + small screen" is reasonable, "This would make more sense on Vita because I don't own a 3DS" isn't.

There already was a thread for petitioning publishers to bring games to PC. Mostly targeting Sega, if I recall correctly.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

If your argument is that it'd make more sense on a different platform because the platform it's on is a suck garbage platform and the console manufacturer should go bankrupt and lol no buttons r u kidding me???? and you don't seem to have any interest in considering why the platform choice was made, then yes it's port begging. It's possible that a game would be better on another platform, but the economics didn't work, or the publisher faced some sort of internal issue we're not privy to, or that the dev didn't have the technical expertise, or the budget wasn't there, or whatever. And ignoring that is madness. Especially people doing stuff like begging Bayonetta 2; The game existed. It was published by Sega. They cancelled it because they couldn't afford to finish development. Nintendo approached Sega. Nintendo saved the game. The game would not exist without Nintendo. Nintendo's money paid for the game to be developed. The idea of looking at that and saying "yeah but I want more ps and badass chievos Wii U more like Wii Poo" is just nonsense, it's in basic denial of how reality operated. When a developer partners with a first-party publisher, it's because they couldn't sign with other people, or the specifics of the offer made more sense than signing with other people. That's true even if you don't like a company.

I mean, we can have a nuanced discussion about platform choices, especially in hindsight after discussion about the game is done. There's nothing wrong with pointing out that, for example, Sega waited until after PSN/XBLA had already cooled off a bit before leveraging its back catalogue and never ported many sensible choices like Chu Chu Rocket which would have thrived on the service. Or to assess the extent to which Deus Ex Invisible War had its level design compromised by the XBOX's RAM limitations. Or to evaluate games that were on the Wii and made the decision to take realistic art styles rather than stylized ones. Or to look at KBM versus dual analog versus the Wii remote, skill ceilings, auto-aim, etc. Or the extent to which the PSP's processing limits resulted in flat games, or the terrible DS texture filtering, or how the portables typically embraced short-sprint "mission" type gameplay nuggets (see: Crisis Core; MGS PSP) or even how the iOS market incentivizes freemium stuff. There are lots of conversations that are totally valid and connect a platform choice to an eventual product, even to lament the outcome. But most of them are after we have the benefit of looking back, when we're calmed down, and when we've played the game in question holy shit

But if you enter an announcement thread to say "The game isn't the game I want what kind of bullshit is this", it's not only pretty selfish, it derails the thread.

I understand why it's a no no, but not anymore so than the other examples you posted. Equally are annoying are the posts that quote people and then add /thread.

The trouble is that if a port didn't happen, it's because of business of some sort, and many gaffers who do not understand the business of their particular pet peeve case are not likely to be doing anything other than causing trouble. Incendiary comments aside, port begging is just so unproductive, whether it's done here or done elsewhere.

I'm not sure I get it either, I actually got banned for it once. Literally anything can derail a topic if you say it the wrong way. I see nothing wrong with stating that you hope something will come to the system you own.

As a recent example the Assassin's Creed: Rogue threads are seemingly more fixated on what platforms it isn't on rather than discussing the game itself; despite the fact that current gen owners are already getting an gen exclusive Assassin's Creed game. In general, I think it's natural if you're disappointed in not being able to play a game you don't own a console for but I also think it does a disservice to those who are excited for a game and wish to discuss it without getting drowned out or dismissed.

As a recent example the Assassin's Creed: Rogue threads are seemingly more fixated on what platforms it isn't on rather than discussing the game itself; despite the fact that current gen owners are already getting an gen exclusive Assassin's Creed game. In general, I think it's natural if you're disappointed in not being able to play a game you don't own a console for but I also think it does a disservice to those who are excited for a game and wish to discuss it without getting drowned out or dismissed.

Then why don't people constantly get banned from bringing up resolution/framerate comparisons in every thread, constant negative and unfounded speculation, etc.? I can think of a million things worse than port begging that plague these halls on a daily basis.

I'm not sure I get it either, I actually got banned for it once. Literally anything can derail a topic if you say it the wrong way. I see nothing wrong with stating that you hope something will come to the system you own.

Portbegging adds nothing of value and ends up drowning out discussion. It would be annoying to look at a thread about Bayonetta 2 and just see post after post saying "this would be so much better on PS4", " Platinum is wasting their efforts", etc.

Apath

Like three or four years ago there was a period where every XBL exclusive thread got derailed asking for a PSN port. It was disruptive and basically derailed every thread.

Then why don't people constantly get banned from bringing up resolution/framerate comparisons in every thread, constant negative and unfounded speculation, etc.? I can think of a million things worse than port begging that plague these halls on a daily basis.

They did that, there probably wouldn't be a GAF community remaining :p

On a serious note, I can see resolution and framerate comparisons being capable of more merit than port begging, as there can be some good technical discussion to be had. Yes, people lose their minds a lot over the smallest things there, but overall there is generally good discussion on what devs did or didn't do to make port on system X work or improve on system y and z. Most of those discussions also tend to be within their own threads, with some situations such as Watch Dogs being the exception.

With port begging though, there's no value in the discussion at all. When a game gets announced, say Bloodborne as it's part of a GAF-darling lineage, what does it add to the discussion in whining or even mentioning the want to have it on your desired platform? Especially when, as Ryse and these remasters of late have shown, exclusive can't be expected to be set-in-stone without knowing the dealings behind them.

The mods are also not omnipresent individuals. If you have an objective issue with a post, such as one that is derailing a thread, report it so the right people know.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

People get banned for all of those things in certain contexts. If you feel like there are terrible posts out there going unpunished, PM a mod to report the post so it gets looked at.

Top Bottom