• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, help me understand the no port begging thing.

Where did it start? Why is it so off limits? Someone saying "man I wish we could get X game on X platform" is really worse than the multitude of posts made up of "lol" or "." ?

Anung

Un Rama
Murders actual discussion stone dead and replaces it with "I wish [BLANK] was on [REDACTED]" ad nauseum.

Victrix

*beard*
Believe it or not, yes, not least of which because it tends to result in a lot of arguments

Also, many many people get angry about handheld/mobile versions of game X

I think one of (the only?) time I ever got probated was bitching about Monster Hunter not coming to PS3/360

Silky

Banned
Because you're not really contributing to the conversation/topic of the thread when you're coming off as whiny/pessimistic about something not being on your console. Just seems rude and unnecessary.

I don't think the port begging thing is in the TOS . It really should be.

I think the thing that makes it worse than other shitposts is that it can start a console wars derail. If you post a stupid meme or overused joke, people don't really respond to it, but port begging is more likely to get a lot of argumentative responses.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Because there is no indication that said game is not coming to that platform? It adds nothing to the conversation and is just a scenario, that will probabky not happen.

SerTapTap

The Project Beast aka Bloodborne leak threads had PAGES of port-begs. It derails threads and happens often enough to need to be called out, all there is to it. And there's not much discussion to it. More platforms = good. Yes, you don't have an [X] or prefer not to play it. That's not really a discussion or interesting information.

Rakthar

Where did it start? Why is it so off limits? Someone saying "man I wish we could get X game on X platform" is really worse than the multitude of posts made up of "lol" or "." ?

How about turn the question around - what value could it bring?

Game gets announced for [platform a]

Posters with [platform a] want to discuss the game and its announcement. Posters with [platform b and c] are constantly posting about how they wish it was on their platform of choice, how the game might be better if it was, etc.

Do you see anything useful coming out of that? "I wish it was on x" "Yeah me too" is at best white noise, at worst causes arguments.

StuBurns

Banned
It's really just to stop derailing.

For example, "Why can't I have TLoU on PC?", will lead to a page of people explaining the nature of first party royalty collection and how studio ownership works, and what is second party anyway, and if PS5 will have backwards compatibility, etc, etc.

Eusis

I'm pretty sure most people who post JUST lol would also get banned, and usually the . is either nuking a post that a poster decided against having up there, or is quoting posts and basically going "I agree with this."

Really, it's just obnoxious noise in a new game announcement thread if they just keep going "but I wanted it on <PLATFORM X>!!!" with nothing else to contribute, at least trying to articulate why SEEMS to be tolerated (nevermind something like Type-0 that was a complete bait-and-switch.)

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man I sure wish that Bayonetta 2 would get ported
to the NES

Anyway portbeg bring nothing of value to a thread and puts a damper for people who are excited for the game.

For example The Legend of Korra game isn't getting a Wii U port so instead of whining about it in the thread I just simply sent a tweet to Activision asking for one.

Probably won't happen but I feel that I went the right way of doing it.

I remember the madness that was Bayonetta 2 announcement only for WiiU. At least those things make you laugh.

Ah yeah that was awesome as it really showed who was really a true Platinugames fan and who wasn't.

Kriken

Because discussions about certain games would generally lead to "Game X would look/perform so much better on platform Y" and that does not add to discussions, but rather derails it. For me though, this is something to PM a mod about if you want a deeper explanation

The thing about the whole port-begging rule on this site is that it's not consistently adhered to. There are times when an unrelated platform is constantly mentioned in announcement threads and you expect mass bans, but it doesn't happen, like GTA V and the PC or Bioshock mobile version and the Vita. And then you get threads like San Andreas the iOS version where it's a total graveyard.

Vlade

It begs the justification of a platform, when RARELY is that even remotely worth discussing. I am quite thrilled with the rule and hope it remains.

If we want to do nothing but console wars and defend a consoles existence and right to have games, then allow port begging. If we want to have threads in which a game might be discussed in a continuous thread, then please, keep it bannable.

Enco

While posts like "lol" and "." don't contribute to the thread, port begging actively detracts from it.
They don't contribute anything new but show agreement or show someone that they were funny.

Not everyone needs to write an original comment.

It's easier to put a . Instead of repeat everything.

I think format begging is somewhat more valid than specific platform port begging.

EX: "I wish **** were on console in addition to handheld/mobile." and vice versa.

The thing about the whole port-begging rule on this site is that it's not consistently adhered to. There are times when an unrelated platform is constantly mentioned in announcement threads and you expect mass bans, but it doesn't happen, like GTA V and the PC or Bioshock mobile version and the Vita. And then you get threads like San Andreas the iOS version where it's a total graveyard.
I remember that San Andreas thread. That was depressing.

Son Of D

Let's look at Bayonetta 2. At first a lot of posts in threads about Bayonetta 2 were complaining about the exclusivity and that it should be on PS4/Xbox One/PS3/360/PC/whatever. They weren't adding anything to the topic at all. If someone who actually wanted to discuss the game they had to go through all the shitpost portbegging in hopes of finding actual discussion.

Replace Bayonetta 2 with any other high profile third party exclusive (or a game that's not coming to a specific platform) and it's pretty much the same thing.

It's the most annoying thing on the forums once you notice the trend... especially in threads where you really want to talk about the game. I find it worse than the typical drive-by crap you see.

cacildo

About the "lol" or ".", i am sorry to say this but i wish gaf had a "like" system

Several times people make brilliant jokes here, i only want to say "that was a good one" to em so they know i enjoyed the comment... but this means a stupid reply like "lol" or ".", so most of the time i just give up and say nothing

KemoSabe

" I wish blah was on blah console instead of blah cuz blah blah blah" does not cause good discussion.

neither does "oh yeah, finally, cant wait, best game ever"...
you can see a lot of these in different threads.
imo this too adds nothing to a discussion, yet it is not a bannable thing.

renitou

It's a fair guideline that's applied with unfortunate inconsistency. The empty hype posts are punished as well, but with that same kind of inconsistency.

Top Bottom